[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A friend and I are going to take a small 15-day trip to the central/eastern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: yurop.jpg (145KB, 733x599px) Image search: [Google]
yurop.jpg
145KB, 733x599px
A friend and I are going to take a small 15-day trip to the central/eastern European part of Europe.

We're thinking we'd like to visit these:
Start trip in Poland
Slovakia
Hungary
Slovenia
End trip in Italy.

As we don't really have any idea if there's anything to do, I'd take any suggestions with open arms.

Dazzle me, and just write if you have questions. We're both from Denmark, and we're going to use an interrail ticket which allows us to travel in most of Europe with train.
>>
>>1242767
>>>/tv/
>>
>>1242775
N-No bullying please
>>
Hungary:

Check lake Balaton and buy/try Tokai and Bull's blood.

Slovenia:
Pick one of these:
>Lake Bled, also castle, Vintgar gorge
>Bohinj lake
>Postojna cave
>Ljubljana and its castle
>Piran
>hiking to Triglav Lakes Valley
>see Velika Planina (Big Pasture Plateau)
>try Kremšnita at Bled, Potica, Ričet/Mineštra/Bograč/Jota, Štruklji, Golaž, Kranjska Klobasa, any of the local wines (ask the bartender or the locals, Kranjska Medica, Teran, Medeni liker etc..).
>>
>>1242859
>Check lake Balaton
Great idea, we were especially short on what to do in Hungary, but it looks great.

As for Slovenia, Lake Bled was already our main target, haha.
But the Triglev Lakes Valley sounds great, I think we'll add the hike up to there to our itinerary.
Piran also looks very interesting, and I'll have to research it a bit further.

Thanks a lot, man.

Open to further suggestions!
>>
>>1242971
I can give you a few more tips regarding the Slovenian part of your journey, but first you have to tell me how you're taking the trip? Will you rent a car or go by train/bus?
>>
>>1243122
We're going to be traveling by train.
>>
>>1242767
Do you even need Interrail? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the train tickets as you go, considering the low prices?
>>
>>1243170
Yeah, I'm certain we do.
We can buy the ticket for ~€260.
The train from where we live in Denmark to Katowice (where we thought we'd visit) alone is like ~€200.
>>
File: hiking routes.jpg (2MB, 3850x2732px) Image search: [Google]
hiking routes.jpg
2MB, 3850x2732px
>>1243143
Ah yeah, didn't fully read your OP. First of all, you have to try Kremšnita (Cremeschnitte), even if you're not a cuisine type of guy. The best one around is at Bled, which you'll be visiting anyway. It's a small sweetshop close to the central bus station, just west of it, 100m I'd say. Google "Slaščičarna Šmon Bled" if ur not sure.

Secondly, regarding the Interrail pass, the train timetables are bloody awful here, so you'll have to make use of the buses (which are fancy, on time and not too costly). Not sure about Piran, but while the train station in Bled is close to the lake, it's a 30min hike to the fancy shops, restaurants and the bus station, so I wouldn't recommend it, unless you have the time.

If you're going to visit the Triglav Lakes Valley you will have no choice but to use the bus to get to Ukanc (in summer the bus line is extended all the way to Slap Savica (Savica waterfall), which is going to be your starting point. There are two ways for you to get there, but I'm not sure which one to recommend to you. The (1) is the quickest, but the first part if a bit tricky because it's quite steep and exposed. Even with the railing and everything, I listen to obituaries every year that a rock hit someone on the head or someone fainted due to acrophobia or something. If you all feel like you're capable and have experience hiking go ahead, it has a great view. It's also easier going up than down. The (2) goes a bit out of the way, is a bit longer and not so scenery, but it's safe as houses. If I were you I'd go up the (1) but down the (2), but that's up to you. There's a (3) that's the best of the bunch, but you need a car for that, which is why I asked if you'd rent a car. If you change your mind about hiking you can also go on the ferry on the lake, visit the statue to our hiking culture which we're very proud of, or go visit the Mostnica gorge which is also very nice (but there's a fee of 2€ per person in the summer which I believe is ridiculous).
>>
>>1243550
Thanks a lot for the great info.
Neither of us are experienced hikers, but I've read a couple of blogs where they have taken the tour up to the lakes.
Most of them say it's a rather easy hike, but for some reason the hike varies between 3½ hours to 12 hours.
>>
Bumping for advice in the rest of the countries.
>>
>>1242767
slovakia is a waste of time, skip it or spend only one day in there
>>
>>1242767
>eastern European part of Europe

ree and so on
>>
File: IMG_00158235751.jpg (51KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_00158235751.jpg
51KB, 800x600px
>>1243550
>le bled/kremšnita brochure

ugh...

The route to triglav lakes is fine doe.

But here's an idea OP, go somewhere where you won't encounter the literal 10 million yearly tourists...

https://maribor-pohorje.si/over-pohorje-to-koroska.aspx

http://www.pespoti.si/izlet.php?id=6897

It's a nice and cosy trek, the only downside is maybe that the lodgers won't speak much english...
>>
>>1244973
>famous things are not worth seeing
This is the dumbest thing on the earth.
If nobody had been to Paris and it wasn't mainstream, EVERYBODY would start going there because there is a shit ton to do.
It's only because of other tourists, you realtravelers won't go.
Why would you let other people destroy your fun? Or is it that important for you to be a unique little snowflake?
>>
File: abc.jpg (7MB, 8369x3081px) Image search: [Google]
abc.jpg
7MB, 8369x3081px
>>1244980
>muh realtraveler

There comes a point, where a small municipality of 6000 people gets so overcrowded, that unless you thoroughly enjoy waiting in traffic for 1-2 hours and standing in various queues at the location and being cramped like a sardine on the beach, there's really no point in going there, especially if the thing you're going to see isn't all that special to begin with.

This is no realtraveler meme, it's just our stupid ministry of tourism that doesn't know how to market one single thing outside of Bled and apparently some locals have fallen for the meme as well.
On the other hand, it's nice to have a containment zone, so I can go relax to other, empty parts of the country, like a realtraveler :r)
>>
>>1242767
Balaton is nice
visit the Aggtelek National Park if you want to see Europe's largest stalactite cave system
if you're interested in castles, you could check out Visegrád, Csesznek, Diósgyőr, Füzér, Eger (the home of Bull's Blood and one of Hungary's top wine regions), Esztergom, Ozora, Somoskő, Sümeg, Tata and Szigetvár
spend at least three days in Budapest and check out the zoo, one of the baths, visit a ruin pub, climb the Citadel, see the city's two ancient roman amphitheatres and wander around the Castle District
>>
>>1245329
Will definitely look into this when I have a bit more time.
Thanks a lot for the tons of suggestions.

Still taking suggestions.
>>
bump

need to reply to >>1244973 but can't bother just yet
>>
bump

I'm really interested what >>1246804 will write.

Also,
>page 8 in 1 day

What's up with all this traffic?
>>
>>1247529
Haha, I was just about to do this as well.
>>
File: 1494250279213.gif (2MB, 159x146px) Image search: [Google]
1494250279213.gif
2MB, 159x146px
>>1242859
>Kremšnita
>Štruklji
>Ričet
>Kranjska Klobasa
>Medica
>>
Not OP, but is it hard to find work for food in villages in Europe, like chopping wood and that kind of stuff?
>>
>>1247548
What sort of fantasy village do you think you can find in Europe where you can make a living chopping wood?
>>
>>1247588
I meant helping people with chores in trade for a meal.
>>
>>1247591
Yes, and it's unrealistic in this modern world.
The chances are at least very slim. You're being too much of a romantic.
>>
>>1242971
i went to the balaton in 2012, check the villages around theres some pretty cool castles/mansions around that are worth to see and is not hard to move around in train/bus. palinka is a must too. Theres a gigantic museum in budapest which i name i dont remember but is up in a hill so try that, i remember a bar called the szimpla kert that is a hipster bar, great to know a lot of people but just be careful if you see some local girl alone or that makes you conversation, some are hired by the bars in order to make people to spend there, otherwise i think hungary in over all is safe. People is nice and mind their own bussines. Also try the public baths, they specially cheap if you manage to get in one outside the capital
>>
>>1247634
>palinka
Isn't that a beverage?
>>
>>1247548
Well, maybe you could get a job in an intense agricultural region, something like the hydroponic gardens in Po valley, at least the ones where they illegally exploit illegal immigrants. But even if they accepted it's not some weird inspector ploy, they'd pay you as much as they pay them, so under the minimal wage I'd guess.
>>
>>1247635
yup, fruit liquor, pretty tasty and strong
>>
>>1246804
Bump.
I'm beginning to lose faith.
>>
>>1246804
L-Last bump.
>>
>>1248226
>>1249269
>>1247529
thanks lads, appreciate it.

>>1244973
>>1244986
>le bled/kremšnita brochure
>ugh...

Alright, firstly, I gave him quite a few suggestions in >>1242859. And I'm sorry if I stepped on your butthurt Bled local toes, it's not my fault you're drowning in traffic every day because your mayor can't build a simple bypass road to Bohinj circumventing Bled altogether. Your best bet is to take your frustration to him. To OP, I do feel obliged to warn you that buses in the summer from Ljubljana - Bohinj relation may be running a little late due to traffic (10-20 minute-ish) depending on the time of day. There are a lot of tourists in Bled sure, but I don't think they'll bother you so much like >>1244973 is suggesting.

Secondly, OP already chose Bled as his destination and I just gave him a few tips on what to do while he's there. Your post is like "Oh you're in Paris for the first time? Ha, don't wait for the Eiffel or the Louvre queue, that's dumb and is for plebs. Here, visit this second grade museum or bar that no one visits and is 20 miles out of your way" or "Oh you're visiting Vienna? Don't even bother trying Wienershnitzel or buying Mozartkugeln as a present for your family because that's what everybody does!!". It's stupid and you're a cunt for suggesting otherwise. I don't see anything wrong with your links and if OP has the time, sure. But these are 2 day treks and most likely out of reach from train station stops. English shouldn't be a problem over here by any measure.

I would gladly recommend other treks that are as beautiful in comparison, but I have to take into account that he doesn't have a car to reach most of the starting points. Like everywhere else, you need a car to get out of the touristy areas and if OP likes it here the first time around, he'll go to more secluded areas of the country.
>>
File: Mala Tičarica.jpg (764KB, 1920x1988px) Image search: [Google]
Mala Tičarica.jpg
764KB, 1920x1988px
>>1243848
Don't worry about it, I may have overreacted by scaring you with the danger. Truth is, the majority of people taking the pass are in no danger whatsoever, it's just those few cases every year that are over hyped advising everyone to wear protective head gear. I'm slightly afraid of heights and took the way down and the first five minutes were scary but then I figured I'm not going to let my mood ruin the scenery. Changed my mind, I'd go up and down the Komarča (č is pronounced ch) pass to save on time and to take in the view. The 12 hour hike is probably from the other side (going from the top of the red line down) or maybe a 2 day hike, but it shouldn't take your more than 3 and a half hours to get to it from Savica waterfall, even with a break here and there.

If you can spare the time, either go all the way to Zasavska Koča (top of the red line) or go to Mala Tičarica, which is just right of the Triglav Lakes Valley Hut and takes you about 50 minutes (pic related). If you're more of an adventurous type, there are a few Geocache thingies hidden around on your trek for you to find. In the end, the treks are usually as interesting as you want them to be.

Also, do try Cremeschnitte in Bled just to piss off >>1244973.

>>1247548
I never really checked for WWOOFing farms over here, only heard of one through the news. Gave a quick glance and see there's quite a number of them providing accommodations. Don't expect them to put you through much work either, you just need to show up with a healthy attitude.
>>
I want to thank everybody for their inputs, _a lot_ of what have been mentioned have been added to the itinerary.
I do, however, still miss some insight into what we should do in Poland.

Thanks a lot!
>>
>>1242767
In Hungary you should probably just spend most of your time in Budapest, it has a real dank food culture and great nightlife for cheap that happens to be around elite colleges (and high schools as well if you're more of a cunny man :^) ) in case you want to pick up some Hungarian pussay using English. Basically BP is at a point where they're accomodated for tourists but are not fucking sick of them like in Barcelona or Amsterdam. Bunch of thermal spas and holocaust memes if you're into that shit. Definitely great fun for 2-3 days at least. Lake Balaton is not great, only go if you want to see a time capsule of 70s/80s eastern bloc tourism.
>>
>>1244950
slovakian here studying in bratislava, sadly i must admit there's not much to see here, atleast nothing special that other countries don't have, one day is enough for sure
>>
>>1251025
Skip Slovakia, go through Chechia instead, Prague especially is very underrated city.

As for Poland, I guess Danzig and Breslaw is ok, I didn't really enjoy Posen though. Can't say anything about other parts sadly
>>
>>1251025
I would suggest You to start your trip in Gdańsk (great history and party destination) than go down south, stopping if possible in Malbork (nice old town with awesome brick castle). Than Warszawa. Our capitol doesn't have the best reputation as a travel destination but if you are a museum oriented at all, there are few of those that are really worth to spend a day there for. Than follow the train root south to Krakow (it's my personal opinion, and yes, I'm bias in the topic, but it's an amazing city with awesome old architecture, good museums and very generous number of pubs with good local beer). Further south there are only mountains and than Slovakia :). If you go to Slovakia directly from Kraków I would suggest You to use a bus instead of a train - it's faster and it doesn't cost much. You might need to preorder the ticked though - for ex. here: http://www.polskibus.com/en/index.htm
Good luck.
>>
I need the thread for a few more days - bump!
>>
>>1253557
How is Prague underrated? I mean it's great, but I have never seen anyone saying differently and it's absolutely overrun by tourists.

You're right about Slovakia though. Nothing you will miss there, especially not the locals.
>>
I would suggest skipping Slovakia and going through Czech Republic and Austria instead, respectively Prague and Vienna.

The only problem is that it kinda fucks up the route to Budapest, which is definitely worth visiting.
>>
>>1242767
>Catalan is different than Spanish
>There is only one language in Italy
That map makes me mad
>>
>>1244950
>>1252497
>>1253557
>>1255028
>>1255030
Seems like there's a general consensus that Slovakia sucks.
Will definitely consider skipping Slovakia, then.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.