[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

USA Roadtrip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Highway.jpg (79KB, 847x565px) Image search: [Google]
Highway.jpg
79KB, 847x565px
Hi /trv/ I'm about to set out on a huge USA road trip, covering 12-15 thousand miles over 3 months. To those of you who have done the "Great American Road Trip" could you please advise me on any interesting places/food/historical sites off the beaten path?

Of course I'll hit the bucket list spots like the Grand Canyon and the PCH, but give me your hidden gems. I'm especially interested in significant historical sites and great regional cuisine, like Chesapeake Bay crabs and various regional BBQ styles.
>>
>>1242181

There is a reason most of the country id full of small towns
>>
>>1242181
I've driven from The chesapeake bay to Santa Monica, Boston to (almost FL) before anon. You're going to need to ask some more specific questions because there is a LOT of country in the US
>>
File: 1472579712976.png (55KB, 385x624px) Image search: [Google]
1472579712976.png
55KB, 385x624px
>>1242546
As of now my plan is to travel south along the east coast, starting in the NYC area. Avoiding 95 as much as possible and stopping in places like Virginia Beach, the Outer Banks, Charleston, Savannah, and St. Augustine before getting to the Miami area.

From South Florida the next major stop is New Orleans. No idea what to do or see along the way.

From New Orleans I want to head north through the Mississippi Delta, go to Memphis, St. Louis and Kansas City, before heading to Denver. I've heard the drive through Kansas is long and boring so any tips on things to check out are appreciated.

I have no idea which direction to head in once I hit Denver. I'm torn between heading south and checking out New Mexico (Taos, Chaco Canyon, etc), northwest to the PNW, or southeast to southern California?

I have a lot of family and friends spread out all over the country including most of the places I've mentioned, so lodging will not be a big expense. Time is not an issue and I have $10,000 budgeted.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated :)
>>
>>1242846
*southwest to southern cal
>>
Are you American? If not, reconsider. America is big, Europeans don't seem to understand this. This isn't like driving from London to York. You better be prepared for this.
>>
>>1242941
Born and raised, been dreaming of this trip since I was a kid. I fully understand the enormity of America
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 2048x1536px
Hijacking the thread for related queries!!

I am going on a spirit journey soon. Spending one day in Las Vegas, just to dispose of my father's ashes. I'm thinking The Bellagio fountains and the Welcome sign, but I am open to any ideas which could be achieved covertly, especially rooftop ones.

Then I am driving up to Zion National Park in Utah. I really wanted to explore Death Valley, but there is absolutely nowhere near there to stay for less than 250$.

Any hot tips between SoCal and Zion. Weird little known places to stop? I figure I'll just leave my schedule open and meander. I have a family, so I don't get a lot of time on my own I haven't traveled alone in like 10 years, I am looking forward to it.
>>
>>1243266
Are you just looking for hotels? If you're gonna go to death valley and zion i suggest camping since well, it's a friggen park and that's what you do when you go to some of the best outdoor areas in the world.
>>1242846
I've never been to any of these places but they're on my list so ill just copy and paste and you can research if it sounds intriguing. I'd suggest heading north from denver to wyoming and then do a big look to the coast and end in new mexico. If you have the time and the ability to camp and live on the cheap it is completely doable. All of these suggestions are quickly jotted down so don't mock my shitastic writing.
-great dismal swamp in norcarolia for some wacky animals and swamp activity.
Colorado
Mesa Verde, south west corner(cliff cities, ancient tribe)
Rocky mountain national forest-northwest of denver(pristine alpine mountain forests)
Cave of winds-west of colorado springs(Cave system, canyons, waterfalls)
Garden of the gods-East of colorado springs(Balancing rock, pikes peak, canyons)
New Mexico
white sands national monument, southeast (White sandy desert, looks like snow. apparently they do missile tests here)
Utah
Zion national park-south west corner(emerald pools, Angels landing, Narrows)
Arches national park-Mid east near Moad(Rock arches)
Canyonlands-Mid east, Near Moad and Arches (Mesa arch, Needles, Bryce canyon Island in the sky, The maze, amazing desert eroded landscapes.)
Idaho
Craters of the moon national monument(volcano field with spooky moon like landscapes, situated south central.)
Wyoming
Glacier park- Sun road(Gorgeous road along the mountain pass)
Hidden lake trail-Glacier national park(Pyramid mountain with a small lake. 3 mile long hike with small amount of elevantion gain)
south dakota
Wall drug-Wall drug store, central state(Wacky stores and a corn palace)
Badlands national park-South East(Arid sandstone pinnacles, alien landscapes)
>>
>>1243276
More looking for extra suggestions on scattering ashes covertly in Vegas, and lesser known spots between Zion and like Palm Springs.
I would camp, but the idea of camping solo kind of scares me, espcially because the desert scares me. Which is why I'm fascinated by it. So my plan is to wander the parks and stuff during the day and retreat to my cheap motel by night.
>>
>>1242181
Out West hit up national parks. There are dozens of them, some of which do not get much attention from the Americans.

Midwest is full of small towns and gets repetitive very fast. Once youve seen one major midwest city, you have seen them all.

Go south towards Nashville and the Smoky Mountains instead of north through Chicago.

Have fun!!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.