[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sicily to Naples:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: Capture 2.png (63KB, 389x308px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 2.png
63KB, 389x308px
The GF and I are trying to plan a trip, at the moment we're thinking of flying into Sicily for 5 days then get a ferry to Naples for an additional 5 days.

Any tips for travelling to Pompeii from Naples or of must-see museums/attractions?

Also just what are your opinions on these two spots in general as my favorite thing to do on holiday is just wander around sort of aimlessly all day drinking wine and see what we come across
>>
File: costiera-amalfitana-italy.jpg (265KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
costiera-amalfitana-italy.jpg
265KB, 1024x768px
There must be buses for travelling from Naples to Pompei.

Also, check out everything you can find about the Amalfi Coast, because it's close to Naples and it's very beautiful. Somehow similar to Cinque Terre, but with a different historical background (Amalfi was one of the biggest Maritime republics, along with Venice, Pisa and Genova). If you like to wander around and eat / drink wine, that's perfect for you.

Watch out for tourist traps when you're in big cities like Palermo and Naples. Better if you ask the locals (and by this I mean people in the street) where to eat.
>>
>>1242293
Thanks man the Amalfi Coast looks amazing, unfortunately with issues at work i can only get 7 days off atm so we're thinking of just doing Sicily properly but i plan to do a week in Naples next year and hit The Amalfi Coast/Capri/Pompeii
>>
>>1243460
That's great, if you're just doing Sicily properly you might find interesting the Valle dei Templi in Agrigento
>>
>>1243506
>Valle dei Templi in Agrigento
Oh yes that looks great, will go there on the way from Syracuse to Palermo
>>
File: IMG_1454.jpg (2MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1454.jpg
2MB, 5184x3456px
If i was doing East Coast Sicily and didnt want to move accomodation but wanted to see Syracuse/Taormina/Catania where should I stay?

I heard Catania isn't the nicest place to stay but would be handy as its in between the other two places and near the airport but the other two places look nicer
>>
File: etna.jpg (1006KB, 3360x2240px) Image search: [Google]
etna.jpg
1006KB, 3360x2240px
>>1244193
There's Acireale but it's very similar to Catania. They're located within 17 km from each other.

Anyway don't forget that between Taormina and Syracuse there's Lord Etna ;)
If you're into nature, trekking, ATV tours, that's really nice.
>>
>>1244224
Ye Etna is top of my list!

Acireale looks lovely too, if i wanted to have easy travel around to all the towns mentioned would it make most sense to stay in Catania or is it not worth it?
>>
>>1244264
By which means of transport are you going to travel?
>>
>>1244266
Probably use local buses and coaches
>>
>>1244619
The route from Catania to Taormina/Syracuse usually takes 1 hour and 45 minutes by public transport (trains and buses).

If you want to be more comfortable I think it woudn't be a bad idea to stay one or two nights in each city: first, because it should be easy to book the rooms (I suggest B&Bs, but hotels are fine too) and second, because public transport is easily available. If you book accomodation and tickets in advance the prices are low. Also, think of the benefits: you won't get bored of Catania and you'll have more time to explore Taormina and Syracuse.
>>
>>1244933
ye that doesnt sound like a bad idea just have to convince the girlfriend to travel around as she'd prefer to relax. Thanks man
>>
>>1241665
Avoid Naples like the plague.

>no really, avoid Naples.

>no really, avoid Naples you fucking idiots.
>>
>>1243460

>we're thinking of just doing Sicily properly

So how long will you stay in Sicily after all? If only 5 days, then I suggest to not attempt trying to see it all. Even for 10 day I would just stick to one part of the island (north-west with Palermo as the hub or east based in Catania or somewhere else).

I stayed in Palermo for 1 week last year (+ a couple daytrips to Cefalu and San Vito lo Capo) and I didn't manage to see everything around. In fact, I'm going back this summer for another week.

As for the must see stuff near Palermo, what are your main interests? As a history/art fag, the Monreale cathedral with its benedictine cloister is not to be missed. As a food fag, welcome to street food heaven - make sure you don't miss the Ballaro and Capo markets in the morning.
>>
Naples is great. Much more fun than Rome! When I visited Pompei, I took a train from Naples to Pompei. It was cheap and fast imo. Other things I would suggest are Island of Capri, Vesuvius, and best Pizza in world La Michelle.
>>
>>1246065
Oh and Archeological museum of Naples. There you will see all the objects found in Pompei and Herculaneum.
>>
File: image.jpg (172KB, 580x773px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172KB, 580x773px
>>1246066
I also wouldn't overlook the cemeteries. Where in the world you can visit the cave-grave of Virgil?
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 550x413px
>>1246079
Oops, wrong pic, that's Leopardi haha
>>
Pompeii is great. Don't miss Herculaneum (or however it is spelled)

Sicily is great. Lots of Greek ruins worth seeing.

The drivers are insane. If you're driving, be ready for that.
>>
>>1246045
Im going for 7 days, at this stage thinking of doing Taormina/Syracuse/Catania

>>1246065
>>1246066
>>1246079
I can't wait to go to Naples, hopefully get around to it next year
>>
If you go to Naples, there's a couple islands nearby you can take a ferry to, I believe the names are Capri and Ischia. I haven't been but they look very pretty.
>>
>>1245984
Sheltered, much?

Have been, albeit briefly. I can deal with shitholes, though they frustrate me more than most of the Real Travelers here. Guessing that's what triggered this anon, but Naples is merely a faux shithole. Anon is pretending to be hard by playing into the "muh mafia" meme or some shit
>>
>>1241665
[spoiler]test[/spoiler]
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.