[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Semester Abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: globe-eurafrica.png (155KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
globe-eurafrica.png
155KB, 2400x2400px
Hey /trv/, I'm an 18 y/o college student in the US. I'm planning on going abroad next fall semester, but I can't decide where I'd like to go. I have never been to Europe, but the idea of studying abroad really interests me and I think somewhere in Europe would be great so I could travel to other countries while abroad. I'm looking for somewhere with a lot to do and see, especially a place with a vibrant nightlife/party culture. I would appreciate any recommendations as to which cities would be fun for a young adult abroad, thank you!
>>
>>1240861
Your university will have a list of institutions. Come back with more specific options not the entire fucking continent.
>>
>>1240865
I'm not planning on traveling through my university. Plus I was just seeing if anyone had any recommendations of places that might've stuck out to them.
>>
I had an amazing time in Paris. Look into that
>>
Galway/Dublin in Ireland come to mind. Galway especially has a name for students and nightlife. Dublin has a lot of colleges and so they have a lot of students. Accomodation is a nightmare though so Galway would be a better bet.
>>
As a counterpoint to >>1240964
Paris is a shithole and you shouldn't go
>>
>>1240861
I did mine in Bern, Switzerland, it's expensive and the schooling is different that the US but I had so much fun

Couple downsides right off the bat though
>it will be expensive
>coming back to America will suck dick, no one will give 2 shits about your time there
>if you live in a place where you can't ski, going back will suck harder

But I love it and am actively working towards getting my dual

But I joined the rugby team and snowboarding team and I made a ton of friends

The nightlife in bern is kinda dull in terms of other cities, but not bad, most of the partying I did was in different cities, after lectures we would all pile up on a train and spend the weekend in Munich, Amsterdam, Budapest, Paris, Barcelona, etc. some real fun shit

All in all Bern is my pick, but where ever you go, definitely join some clubs, rugby is probably the best because you form deep bonds and they are some partying mother fuckers
>>
I recommend against Europe as a student. It is very expensive and you will basically just be doing the same shit you would be doing at a US university. I did a study abroad program in Galway and later traveled to the UK after I graduated, and to be honest it was a complete fucking waste of time and money. I had fun, but traveling to an anglosphere country isn't very engaging or fulfilling in my experience.

Also, I have no idea what you're talking about "study abroad" but not through your school? Are you just traveling or are you getting credit for it? Study abroad programs are massive fucking scam especially nowadays so you're probably better off just going on your own time/dime. If you're not paying for it I guess its whatever but if you legitimately care about your education you'd serve yourself better just staying at your school and hopping on a plane over the summer.

There is nightlife pretty much everywhere so you might want to give so more details. SEA is famous for great nightlife for super cheap (except the flight).
>>
>>1240861
I recommend Berlin.
But don't expect to get a lot done in terms of studying.

More info about yourself, your preferences and what you study would be helpful though.
>>
>>1241668
Berlin would be awful, the point is to pick a city that isn't like American cities, Berlin is just like some shitty graffitied up shithole that now has a refugee problem

>shit food
>okay beer
>above average nightlife
>weird fucks everywhere

Idk when I went to Berlin I did not think that was some place I could live
>>
>>1240861
vibrant nightlife/party culture

Berlin. Trust me, it's the best party place in all of Europe with great history
>>
I spent a summer at the London School of Economics, and it was fucking fantastic. The city is a ton of fun, and the classes, especially the business strategy classes, are incredibly interesting. I think the rest of King's College does their own program for other subjects so you could check them out too. The only thing I didn't like was the dorm, although it was the cheapest one so maybe try one of the others, and even then I really only went back there to sleep.

Keep in mind that even if your college doesn't have a specific program with the school you want to study at, you might be able to talk to your study abroad office and figure something out in terms of course credits at least. You'll likely be on your own I'm terms of paying for it.
>>
>>1241702
>Berlin
>best party place in Europe
Obviously someone hasn't been to Kiev
>>
>>1241393
counter counterpoint. You should go. Paris>Rome all day any day nigga
>>
>>1241699
I liked all those things about Berlin.
I haven't been there in like 5 years though, what's it like now?
>>
>>1242035
>Kiev
>Europe

555-Come on now
>>
Eh just choose any fairly big city with a good institution. For the sake of travelling I would say Vienna or Budapest would be in pretty perfect locations, both great cities in their own way as well. Just don't choose any overcrowded tourist trap shithole like Paris
>>
>>1241699
>okay beer
> shit food

Boy, in berlin you can find almost any country represented by a restaurant. If you didn't like the food, you were too poor and ate only kebabs or too lazy to get out of your comfort zone.

And "okay beer", this comment shows how much qualified you are to judge berlin.

Berlin is loud, a lot to do and not the most beautiful place. But it doesn't mater for what you search, you can find it there.
>>
>>1242635
When I went I saw a lot of rough figures and a lot of worn down infrastructure, the beer of that region is okay, compared to other regions like the Czechs and Bavarians, Tyrol also has damn good beer, and food wise, you have to eat the street food because restaurants are nothing different than my small city in the states

I'm not saying Berlin is complete shit, but not an ideal place to live when you have all these great cities in the country
>>
>>1240861
Don't get tricked into thinking that you are actually going to study abroad.
It's all a big party desu
>>
>>1241382
I go to college in cork. Its garbage, i wouldn't recommend it. But foreigners seem to like it.
>>
2bh myself i would leave europe and go to Asia like Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan or SK. Maybe South America and countries like Brazil/chile/Colombia/Argentina
>>
>>1243878
Yeah, i saw the typical restaurants in some small US cities.
I doubt you have eastern european cuisine and also real french/ spanisch restaurants.
If you expect to be statisfied just by streetfood, then no wonder you sounded disappointed.
But if you drop the name of the city you could convince me otherwise.

Also still do not understand what you mean about the bavarian/ etc. beer. Do you need to be in bavaria to drink their beer?

Berlin is more than just food and drinks, but even there you give a wrong impression.
>>
>>1245021
This. I had my year abroad in Berlin and was drunk basically every day, I went to the Sprachenzentrum for about 10 hrs a week and that was that. Best year of my life.
>>
>>1245104
can relate
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.