[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /trv/ think about Rick Steves?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: OG_rick.jpg (33KB, 520x279px) Image search: [Google]
OG_rick.jpg
33KB, 520x279px
What does /trv/ think about Rick Steves?
>>
>>1240276
If you can get over the fact that his advice is geared toward middle age, middle class Americans, he has a lot of useful information.
>>
Definitely one of the go-to writers for Euro travelling.

His TV shows are okay, but his books have more information.

Smoke weed everyday.
>>
>>1240276
Nothing, don't know who this literal who is.
>>
The dad /trv/ wishes we had.
>>
>>1240285
I mean there are a lot of YouTubers, who are young adults,that can give useful information for travelers
>>
>>1240276

I heard he gives recommendations for hookers in some of his books, and for coffee shops in Amsterdam. Is this true?
>>
>>1240379
he reviews coffee shops

don't know about hookers, but in germany there's a description to a fkk club and what each floor specializes in
>>
>>1240379
>>1240406
He doesn't do any recommendations for prostitution but he's done stuff on marijuana because he's a pothead.
>>
>>1240329
kek'd hard
>>
File: asshole.jpg (90KB, 672x654px) Image search: [Google]
asshole.jpg
90KB, 672x654px
>>1240276
Politically, I think he's your typical wealthy, blue state moron who has no real idea what it's like to be poor. Other than that, meh. He goes overseas and films shit.
>>
>>1240276
Heard him speak at a local theatre, about Europe a bit but mostly Iran. He is based.
>>
>>1240497
he had an article on his website about how his original tours were essentially him forcing people to sleep on the cold wet ground so he could act hardcore
>>
File: sp16158_0.jpg (28KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
sp16158_0.jpg
28KB, 450x320px
Rudy Maxa masterrace
>>
File: 1476931862485.jpg (23KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
1476931862485.jpg
23KB, 425x283px
>>1240406

>tfw you'll never smoke a fat j with rick steves in a story book part of europe

Why live /trv/?
>>
Rick "light up a cone before we bone" Steves is okay in my book

>>1240379
It's all true, he was notorious for it back in the late 80's
>>
rick steves is based
>>
>>1240276
Cool guy
>>
>>1240276
I've never seen any of his TV shows all the way through (although a few minutes of his show about Portugal caused me to add Coimbra to my itinerary, which was great), but his books are high-quality. His walking tour routes are really good--better than their equivalents in LP. Is he kind of square and lame? Maybe (apart from being a stoner). Do his books offer positive contributions to trips? In my experience, yes.

>>1240285
This may be true. I'm a middle-class American, and have recently become middle-aged, too. But I was a younger-than-middle-aged middle-class American when I first started using his books, and I found them useful.
>>
I've never actually read any of his books - i always figured they were lame and not very useful. Should I switch from Lonely Planet to Rick?
>>
>>1241749
In my advice yes, it's more in detail and he has restaurants listed from cheap to insane prices but they're all good so you don't have to worry about eating tourist food

>>1240276
As my brother says he talks like he got soft hands. Still good advice though
>>
>>1241452
I can't see Rick Steves in a Euro brothel. He seems more like the illegal Cambodian young boy brothel type.
>>
he voted for hillary. he can fuck off and die
>>
File: rick steves.png (233KB, 1368x726px) Image search: [Google]
rick steves.png
233KB, 1368x726px
>>1240427
>He doesn't do any recommendations for prostitution
You're wrong about that -- he actually recommends it in Frankfurt.
>>
>>1242454
>recommends it
Did you actually read what you screencapped? The guide doesn't recommend it, it just points it out as a cultural feature and makes some jokes and interesting observations.

As some anon said earlier on, Steves is really focused on middle class, middle aged Americans, and a lot of his emphasis is on cultural and political differences between Europe and the US. He talks about these a lot in his lectures on YT, especially Americans only get 1/2 as much vacation time as Europeans.
>>
>>1242621
Still wrong -- the two marks next to "brothels" indicate it is a recommendation, either to buy a hooker or to visit brothels to see them as a cultural oddity. He also writes more about it than this screenshot in both Frankfurt and Hamburg.
>>
>>1240497
Nobody asked what you think of him politically. This is a travel board.

>>>/pol/
>>
>>1242636
Two triangles means "try hard to see" and that's all he is saying - try hard to see the area where the brothels are so tourists can understand a bit more about the country they are visiting, which has a different attitude and approach to something controversial.

Steves doesn't hide his beliefs or opinions, whether religious or political.

Look at this 4 minute clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2lZ5ntKkuk
>>
>>1242454
>>1242621
>>1242636
>>1242685
OK I may have been wrong....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHuAfrtDNg&feature=youtu.be&t=24m33s
>>
File: news3-scroller.nar - Copy.jpg (34KB, 299x218px) Image search: [Google]
news3-scroller.nar - Copy.jpg
34KB, 299x218px
>>1242637
It kind of does matter, he's a very typical old white Democrat/neo-liberal and his experiences are unapologetically seen through those eyes. When he advises you to go see a particular cathedral or church or piece of art you have to remember that he's a devout Christian and he may feel something at that place that isn't actually there for non-believers. Or when he's in former USSR countries he has a habit of pointing out the massive success of capitalism and failure of communism instead of attributing it to authoritarianism. This leads to his quick history lessons being perhaps a bit off base. In fact he doesn't seem to appreciate anything related to the USSR, but this may be because he focuses on western Europe because that's where the money is.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.