[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finland!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 2000px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png (10KB, 2000x1222px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
10KB, 2000x1222px
I'm going to be in Helinski for the 100th anniversary celebrations on December 6th. What is there to do here? I plan on hearing the speech at the Presidential Palace and seeing the flag raised on Observatory Hill, but anything else?

I'm more interested in history (particularly of the Finnish war of independence) and nature, and only have a couple days free. I'll probably only be there from the 5th to the 7th or 8th.
>>
IDK about whats happening during the celebrations or the events but google the Mannerheim museum.
Never been myself but heading in June/July. There might be something on it happening there cause the guy was a major commander at the time
>>
Was here only for one day and Suomi took my heart.
Visit Suomenlinna, it's great and ferry tickes are cheap.
>>
Not a good idea, seriously. Unlike in most countries, Independence Day is not a joyous party. It's somber and reverent. People visit graves and stay home with their families.

If you want a party in Finland, go on May 1.
>>
File: 1387105650778.png (178KB, 391x306px) Image search: [Google]
1387105650778.png
178KB, 391x306px
Seconding Suomenlinna, and make sure you set aside time for a day trip to Tallinn if you've not already been.

Be aware that early December is probably the worst time to visit Helsinki. It is unlikely that the snow will have settled so the short days will be very gloomy. You're more likely to have freezing rain than snow.

Just out of curiosity, what takes you to Finland for the anniversary? Finnish-born great-grandparents in Wisconsin?
>>
>>1240240
I love history, and I'm new to Europe. I have enough days built up from work to take leave, and a lot of eastern Europe declared independence 100 years ago. I was hoping to see how different countries celebrate the anniversaries differently. I had a friend from Finland who told me the same about Helinski being depressing, but if I'm going to do the Baltics, Poland and Belarus, I'd love to fit Finland in there, too.

>>1240236
I don't mind this. I'm actually very interested in memorials, marches, and remembering the fallen - I come from a military background. Most of what I know about Finland (very basic) is the Winter War, not Independence. Where would I see anything in Helinski or any place with cheap-ish flights from London? The idea of a gloomy military parade is actually kind of cool imo
>>
>>1240254
The gloomy parade is not military but a civilian one. Soihtukulkue, literally torch procession. People march through the cold and dark and snow in a silent procession carrying torches.
>>
>>1240262
The pictures look amazing, but there's not much info online in English and translate butchers it. From what I understand, different universities organize the event, which ends at Senate Square.

From this I guess I'll be waiting at Helinski Senate Square for the marches. I'd rather not get stuck in a university town north of Helinski without much happening, unless there's info in English about attendance. There's surprisingly little, but thank you for this, I'm changing plans for sure!
>>
>>1240254
>>1240262
Look at the suomifinland100.fi website. It's a year of national celebrations, not 365 days of weeping over dead soldiers.

For cheap flights look at the sticky, but basically Norwegian is cheapest out of Gatwick.
>>
>>1240332
Thanks, contacted the organizers too and they told me the gathering was at Töölöntori market square at 6:30 pm, so now I have a specific place to go and see.

It sounds a little too similar to the Legion Day in Latvia, and Nordic Resistance Movement joined in last year. I'll read more about this before I go
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.