[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap Travel Tips & Tricks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

I know many of you guys aren't the stereotypical go-to-some-tourist-hellhole-and-spend-a-week-getting-drunk-and-doing-guided-tours kind of traveler. Many of you have experience traveling for extended periods of time on a small budget, myself included.

I suggest we have a thread to combine our knowledge on this topic.

Luxury travel fags need not apply.

>travel with a backpack, not a suitcase, for versatility
>bring a tent, or a tarp if very /out/, for no expense lodging
>WWOOF'ing, WorkAway, and the likes can make you able to travel for almost no money
>having a small fishing rod and a bit of tackle can take care of 1/3rd of your food needs
>hitchhiking is still alive and well, especially in Asia

Pictured; a beach near Aoshima in southern Japan. I'm here for a year, and spending little to no money.
>>
>>1239773

wear a backpack and be homeless, got it
>>
>>1239773
>you're either a package tour sheep
>or realtraveller (hobo)
>>
>>1239773
OP post pics of your hobo set up or stop LARPing
>>
>>1239836
Pic from the night before I left home.
>>
>>1239841
How on earth do you chop up with those scissors bruv
>>
>>1240031
I don't have them any more. Discarded them before I left.

Also, bump.
>>
>>1239773
How do I get into fishing? Is it really as easy as putting some bait on a hook and waiting for something to bite?
>>
>>1240142
Not exactly. You gotta know where to throw the line, which requires to know where fish tend to live.

Go to the Fishin' General on /out/ for more info, they're a bunch of friendly rednecks.
>>
>>1239773
Realtravelerâ„¢ here, maybe I can help

one of the most important things I learned is to research and network, you can spend hours going from place to place; or just five minutes if you know somewhere already.
easiest places to find are almost invariably the most expensive

never be in imediate need, in places where tourists get ripped off (asia, middle east, africa etc)
people won't hesitate to take advantage of you if your water bottle leaked, you havn't eaten in days.
ALWAYS CARRY WATER, fuck you get bled if you just buy it wherever; carrying a little water filter can save you money in places where tap water is available but unsafe
although a caution a portable water filter is high up on the "packed but never used" list.
I usually carry lighweight food as well, unsalted crackers, fruit, cheese, bread.
in countries where street food culture stops you from buying honest food you can travel with, consider carrying a container and ordering breakfast and lunch at the same place

in china I found hot water universally available, so instant noodles were great especially for train trips; however these are very unhealhy
a better option (and cheaper) would be to buy plain instant noodles from markets/supermarkets and pre-mix a seasoning in a little bottle which would las 10-12 packets of noodles

be really wary of monopolies, anywhere having an entrance is bound to have a monopoly on food, drinks, sometimes even the toilet

be even more wary of cartel conduct, nothing worse than being on a 20$/day budget and unable to get a bus out of town for less than 12$, when the price should be 3$
I have been at the point of commiting mass murder on multiple occasions in asia when retailers gang up on foreigners to over-harge for food water and transport
I'm not even joking, I've pulled knives on these guys before.
when I havn't eaten in two days and you and your fucking slanty eyed friends decide to raise the price of a bowl of plain rice motherfuckers you earned it
>>
>>1240607
cont.

put a figure on how much your time is worth, is it really worth a 27H train trip to save 10$?
don't spend your whole holiday pulling your hair out trying to save a few cents

work overseas is fantastic if you can land it, some work online in language translation or tutoring, some in webdev, some in design or creative industries.
but there is usually a conflict there between how much you want to work, how much work you can find, and the commercial demands on you.
it's great but not perfect

WWOOFing is fantastic, but sometimes I think you are honestly better working at home for a fair wage then traveling
the Australian visa scheme is very generous, smart travelers do the work section, then instead of traveling australia which is stupid expensive; they take their earning to asia where they multiply five-fold

I hear Korean visas for english teachers are getting generous too; however nowhere near the opportunity that there is in china

I often buy and sell goods when crossing borders, usually flouting unchecked import/export restrictions
favourites include cigarettes in germany, liquor into sharia law countries/countries with no fun taxes
gemstones can be very lucrative, but the risks are great in terms of seizure, sale-ability, theft and extortion

buying your own transport then selling it can often work out a better option for longer term travelers, caravans are great, motorbikes are great where hostel stay is available

in europe I brought my own propane stove, a pot, swiss army knife etc
saved literally a quater of my travel costs there

I also find my costs plummeting when I stay in one place for more than a week, I can buy in bulk, already know good places etc
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.