[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Montreal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: home-signalisation-3.jpg (229KB, 768x480px) Image search: [Google]
home-signalisation-3.jpg
229KB, 768x480px
Hi ! I'm going to spend some months in Montreal Quebec since I'm lucky and got a work permit. I'll probably try to find a flat share because I don't really want to end up alone in my appartment after work ahah.

What should I know before going ?

Is the life expensive in Montreal compared to France ?
Nice or cheap neighborhood to live in (without being in a ghetto) ?
Nice things to see in the city ?
Maybe good banks to open an account ?

Thanks !
>>
>>1238837

Is the life expensive in Montreal compared to France ?

No, you'll find it much cheaper. You can get a shared apartment downtown (or close) for about 400$CDN. There's a group on FB where people look for flatmates.

Nice or cheap neighborhood to live in (without being in a ghetto) ?

I recommend you stick to a neighborhood that's central. Most French people live on the Plateau, but also consider the Miles End, St Henri, downtown and even the gay village (it's no that gay nowadays). Avoid west of downtown unless you want to constantly speak english. HoMa and Petite Patrie is also pretty trendy with students.

Nice things to see in the city ?

There's a lot, especially if you like nightlife. I won't even try to cover that here.

Maybe good banks to open an account ?

Check for banks that have agreements with French banks. Scotia Bank has an agreement with BNP, TD with Credit Agricole I believe. Other than that, just pick one that's convenient. Desjardins is everywhere.

Good luck with the job. Unemployment rate is at record lows right now, so you should find one pretty easily especially if you speak French already.
>>
Thanks a lot for your reply.

My only issue is that unfortunately my bank doesn't have any agreements whith a canadian one but I'll manage then..

I'm really looking forward to be there now !
>>
>>1239236

Have fun! What months are you going?
>>
>>1238837
I don't live in Montreal but I've been a few times and my favorite neighborhood is the old port. I ended up spending most of my time there, good restaurants and little bars and such.
>>
>>1239242
Thanks, I'll be going there from june to semptember then I'll come back to France. I have a few things to finish in France unfortunately. When it's done (about january I think), I'll go again to Montreal. My plan is a bit complicated I know ahah.

>>1239695
I'll look for that neighborhood too then, thanks :)
>>
>>1239950

Congrats, you picked the best four months to be living in Montreal. If you like outdoor shows, check out the Jazz Festival, the francofolies, the picnik electronic, the Fete Nationale on June 24th (I recommend going to Quebec City the night before...it's quite a party), and a ton of smaller ones too. Make sure to check out the fireworks every Wednesday and Saturday in July/August. There's a man-made beach near the bridge where you can watch them, right before the outdoor party.

It's also a good time to explore outside Montreal. There are some amazing places in the Laurentides and the Eastern Townships, just an hour or two away if you drive.

I agree with the other poster regarding Old Montreal - it's a bit more expensive but every now and then it's fun to hit more classy places. If you're looking for a place to stay near downtown then Griffintown and St-Henri are also cool neighborhoods. The McGill ghetto might have some good deals on shares in the summer too (and don't worry it's not a ghetto, just an extension of the campus).

You'll find that there's a lot of people from France here. The first few weeks in the city usually determine if you're gonna hang out with locals or people from France. So if you want to experience the true Quebec choose your roommates wisely. It's pretty easy to isolate yourself here, especially if you already know people from France.
>>
>>1238837
>Is the life expensive in Montreal compared to France ?
fuck no Montreal is the cheapest city in Canada
>Nice or cheap neighborhood to live in (without being in a ghetto) ?
little Italy/jean talon/rosemont
mile-end/plateau if you wanna live in the hipsterhive around the gay village is also nice
>Nice things to see in the city ?
I'm gonna be that guy and say hardly nothing for real minus the mountain also google tamtam
>Maybe good banks to open an account ?
tangerine for basic as fuck stuff/rbc for a normal bank account /desjardins is pretty neat since its a credit union and not a bank costs 5$ to open an account

also I hope you like cycling
>>
>>1239979
Nice ! This sounds great ! I didn't know that was the best months, I just have to leave before my visa expires ahah. And yeah I like outdoor shows, though these days I lost my enthousiasm a bit. Probably because I'm in Paris since 26 years and after that time, you just need something fresh and new : activities are not the same when they're in your hometown or in a foreign city.

Unfortunately I don't have a driver licence, but I'm pretty sure I can manage. Just saw some pictures on google, seems beautiful.

And, I think I'll try to hang out mostly with locals since I don't know many people here, just one Irish guy and his french girlfriend. They're kind enough to host me for my first week so I 'll be able to rent something without being too stressed.
But yeah, I'll try to not isolate myself too much. To be honest that's one of my fears, being alone in a foreign country, away from family and friends would be a bit depressing ! That's also part of the reason I'd rather share a flat than just rent one by myself (that and the price of course !)

>>1240183
>also I hope you like cycling
Are the public transport that bad ?
>>
>>1240205
STM runs the buses and metro and are pretty good. A Montreal transit otaku complained about the new buses though.
>>
>>1240205
nah the STM is dope but cycling in montreal is kino fuck paying 90$ a month for the bus/metro check out the vert route we might have the most cycling roads in the world its fucking crazy where you can cycle to in quebec
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.