[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the current internet situation in Penang?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Want to finish a project of mine with some peace of mind. Takes about 2 months. Thinking about Penang. I have not been there for about 15 years (oldfag here).

What is the current internet situation? Is it abysmal? I need to stream some stuff. Do some video skype. Not have terrible ping.

I can usually work from Thailand and Cambodia without a problem. Is Penang much worse, or just a little worse?
>>
>>1238598
I spent a week in Penang last year and I remember the internet being okay speed. But I was just using it to look shit up on my iPhone in the hotel. I would not expect higher than like 10 down 5 up though and that would be the high end of the internet service.
>>
>>1238598
It's fine. Find an empty coffee shop and you can do it, or buy a wifi hotspot
>>
>>1238598
It's fine. Starbucks requires some registration nonsense. Local cafes often have free wifi.

Getting a SIM card is very quick, 5 minutes or so. (You'll need your passport on hand.) I'd imagine it's a similar story for a mobile wifi box.
>>
>>1238720
He said he needs it for Skype and streaming a hotspot would be terrible for that.
Also OP where are you staying? If you are gonna do a Airbnb or apt why not just get ahold of them and ask what their internet speeds are at the residence?
>>
>>1238671
>>1238706
>>1238720
OP again. I am talking real work, as in 6-10 hours a day. A coffeeshop is out of the question. Found this coworking space called @CAT Penang, but they close at 6PM.

>>1238721
Thanks. Yeah. A hotspot would not work. I found some outstanding fibre connections through http://www.time.com.my/ , but that is only available in some buildings. Gonna ask the Airbnb connections before I sign up, definitely, but would hate to sign up for something that is described as being A+, when it is in fact C- quality. Lamers do that sometimes.

Keep the info coming good anons. Thanks for the answers so far.
>>
>>1238725
No problem. You could maybe ask them to show you a speed test screen cap or proof of ISP. If you are doing a two month stay I'm sure some people will be happy to provide you that. Also why Penang this time over Thailand? Just a change up or are the ladies of the night and parting too much of a distraction in Thailand? When I lived in Bangkok/Pattaya I know it was a problem for me. Almost everyday I would tell myself no partying tonight you are going somewhere tomorrow. Flash forward to 11pm and I'm in a gogo bar again.
>>
>>1238732
Yeah, screencap might work. Good idea!

Ignoring Thailand 'cause I am totally fed up with that country. Hive-mind royalist numb-nuts. They don't like foreigners either, so I feel less arrogant in saying that. I love Cambodia, Indonesia and Malaysia though. Also pondering Vietnam, which is cheap, and I know their internet is good enough.

Actually going to Malaysia this time because I have ladies that I know elsewhere. Would be good to stay alone and focus this time. And if I do find somebody interesting, I want that 'body to be somebody that isn't poor. I don't want money to be an issue if I find romance on this trip.
>>
>>1238732
>Just a change up or are the ladies of the night and partying too much of a distraction in Thailand

There are quite a few Thai girls and ladyboys hooking in Penang. It's a stop on their tour as they work their way down to KL. They're not hard to avoid if you actually wanted to though, when I was there they were mostly in one area near the foreign bars.

>And if I do find somebody interesting, I want that 'body to be somebody that isn't poor
Well Penang probably isn't a place to meet them then, you want KL if you want to meet some regular girl with a professional job.
>>
>>1238737
>They don't like white foreigners either
FTFY. Farang fatigue. But that is less evident outside of the tourist hangouts.
>>
I was there 4 months ago and it was fine.
>>
Update from OP.

What about Kuching, Sarawak? Just noticed that Penang is right smack dab in the monsoon right now.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.