[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 17

File: IMG_5549.jpg (4MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5549.jpg
4MB, 3456x2304px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1238175
>>
Anyone delivered food to a hotel in japan before?

It's raining like a motherfucker right now.
>>
People who have been to Japan: what is the biggest misconception you have realized was wrong by visiting?

Mine would be that regular Japanese people hate anime. Just finished the night at a karaoke bar singing K-ON songs with a 24 year old nurse. Normies hate Otaku, but anime is fairly well-accepted otherwise.
>>
I'm in Takayama at the moment, and struggling to decide between visiting either Shirakawa-go or the Shinhotaka ropeway tomorrow. I'd you had to choose between the two, would anyone be able to recommend?
>>
>>1238215
What a surprise, the country isn't filled with basement dwelling nerds ogling over hentai.

My biggest misconception was Kyoto. I thought it would be a great, i was very wrong.
>>
What's the best time in Winter to travel to Japan?

Not especially interested in skiing, and Christmas/New year's is out of the picture. Was either thinking mid November-mid December or late Jan-late Feb

Thoughts?
>>
>>1238219
but kyoto is great, why you didnt like it?
>>
>>1238222

If you go November you'll be able to enjoy the autumn colours.
>>
>>1238192
Yea just check with the reception before hand, or maybe just go ahead and order and then tell the hotel. depending on how you want to risk them saying they don't allow deliveries
>>
>>1238139
Most large stores don't care too much about 10k notes, but smaller boutique type places will be quite annoyed. I was accompanying my sister in Harajuku where she tried to pay 1k with a 10k note at some small store, and the cashier was reluctant to take the note

Like someone else said I generally break up my 10k yen notes by topping up my Suica/Passmo, and I also visit arcades to use their change machine where they turn 10k notes into 1x5k, 4x1k and 10x100 yen coins.
>>
>>1238235
I just waited outside the hotel and just walked it through.
Japanese dominos isn't much better than at home desu.
>>
>>1238238
Arcades aye, I didn't even think of that, thankyou.
>>
I'm staying in Tokyo for about a week, any things I should do over there? Something memorable, I hope
>>
>>1238225
I don't know how anyone can enjoy tourist trap the town. It is by far one of the most disgusting things I've seen. Sure I get that developing Asian countries might put all that tourist garbage outside of their sites like food trucks etc but I did not expect it in Japan. It was just a complete disappointment, every site was overrun with old people tour groups and nobody respected any of the sites, they were all just used as selfie backgrounds.

I've seen more respect shown at monkey temples in SEA jungles where the animals shit over everything than what I saw in Kyoto.

There is also no night life outside a few small bars. There was no redeeming quality to that place that I can think of, Miyajima was about 10x better, still flooded with tourist traps but it wasn't as big of a shithole as Kyoto.
>>
>>1238256
So it's not Kyoto that's bad but the chink tourists.

There's a reason why you get treated like shit if they find out you're a chink.
>>
>>1238267
No Kyoto sucks as a whole too. There are much better places to see shinto shrines, better food and nightlife just down the road in osaka, and accommodation is cheaper in Tokyo. Kyoto is just a mess, there are no redeeming factors to the place. It's an over hyped tourist trap for old people in tour groups.
>>
>>1238256
>>1238270
I was there twice, I liked it. It's nice and comfy, I liked the tradition and history throughout the city. But to each his own
>>
>>1238274
What do you mean the tradition and history throughout the city ? I mean there is Gion, but what are you talking about outside those three streets?
>>
>>1238281
stuff like the Philosopher's path, Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama, the national museum. There were fun activities too, like seeing a summer festival, a Kimono fashion show, scouting around in the evening to catch a glimpse of a Geisha etc. I was staying with a friend of mine in an area a bit outside of the main city so seeing the normal residential life was also interesting.

I mean, it's not my favorite city in Japan, but I wouldn't mind going back again to see some thing I might have missed
>>
>>1238256
>Every
>Single
>Thread
Look! He's posting it again! Maybe somebody will agree with him this time!
>>
Is anyone else going to be going on the JET Program this year?
>>
>>1238315
My cousin applied and got rejected

How much of a retard do you have to be to get rejected? Cos I've always known him to be an idiot
>>
>>1238309
Sorry Kyoto was great! It was so good seeing food trucks parked out the front of all the sites, really convenient and helped the authentic feel. The sites were so quiet it felt like you had them all to yourself at some points.

The food there was so much better than the other places I went to in Japan. Who even needs Osaka, Tokyo and Kobe?

Nightlife ? Who even needs anything to do at night anyway, nightlife is for chads.

I highly recommend Kyoto it is not overprices nor over hyped.
>>
Question about Japan visas. I'm a America citizen and I'm probably about to have a felony on my record. Will I still be able to enter just on the regular I think 14 day visa?
>>
>>1238316
JET is actually the most difficult English program to get into. It pays the most and is done by the government. They do long interviews with sample lessons.

But at the end of it you get put in the middle of nowhere. Lower pay in a real city at an Eikaiwa makes a lot more sense to me
>>
>>1238316
I've known a couple people to get rejected. They were just applying to get near their Japanese girlfriends, though.
>>
>>1238326
lol no
>>
>>1238270
Where are better shinto shrines?
>>
>>1238217
Shirakawa-go
>>
>>1238337
They really check records for just the regular entry passport stamp?
>>
>>1238231
Not the guy you replied to, but I'm planning on going in November. Any recommendations?
>>
>>1238309
Kyoto does suck though.

>>1238342
Shinto shrines are everywhere, and honestly once you've seen one you've basically seen them all. I didn't find them interesting, probably why I didn't find Kyoto interesting.
>>
Just confirmed my trip for mid July. I'm going to be starting college this upcoming August. The trip is wiping out my funds. What the fuck is wrong with me?
>>
Ausfag here, what's the go with withdrawing cash in Japan? I have an ANZ card with a Plus symbol on it that I'm told would work in post offices and ATMs, but can anyone confirm?
>>
>>1238574
Yeah Australian cards work with most ATMs. They are all in the 7/11 or family mart stores, lawsons has them too occasionally. Have fun getting fucked by overseas charges, I was with commonwealth and on top of the 200 yen ATM fee I was stung $15 for foreign transfer fees every 30,000 yen I got out
>>
>>1238215
It's just animated tv shows, being really pro or against a whole medium it is pretty weird. I wouldn't call it a misconception, but I thought Japan was just alright before actually going to the country. Being there made me a weeaboo.
>>
>>1238576
I don't understand why banks make it so hard to open accounts. Just give me an account and I'll give you free money to invest. The online exchange services have such good rates, but it's worthless if you can't get a bank account in that country.
>>
I'm autistically stressing out over what I should wear this summer when I go. Some people say shorts are okay others say you will stick out so much it will be embarrassing. Everyone seems to say wear polyester or some kind of synthetic clothing because humidity will make you sweat dicks but all the travel-related clothing I can find looks like baggy garbage.
>>
>>1238592
Wear whatever you want. If you're comfortable in it then it doesn't matter. As long as you don't look like a homeless person and you're wearing outfits that work you will be fine.
>>
Do Japanese bank accounts have account-keeping fees? What are the interest rates like?

What about cellphone and internet plans in terms of cost/data?

I know these questions are general as fuck but I'm moving there later in the year and I just wanted to get a sense of these things.
>>
>>1238316
Pretty rigorous screening. I would say the Japanese government see it as a soft power tool, get young impressionable college students from good schools to spend a year in Japan and develop a whole lotta positive regard that pays dividends years down the line when those college kids are mid career in the business, government, healthcare and science field and maybe have some influence. Only my two cents though as I was chatting with folks doing JET I interviews at the embassy.
>>
>>1238352
No just say no on the entry form, they have no jurisdiction or authority to look up criminal records in other countries
>>
>>1238602
Okay cool, I was worried I would never get to go to anime land and have to just go to SEA again.
>>
>>1238592
>Everyone seems to say wear polyester or some kind of synthetic clothing because humidity will make you sweat dicks
High humidity means that your sweat struggles to evaporate, so you'll keep sweating whilst still being incredibly hot

That being said, polyester and most synthetics are fucking horrible for humid conditions. A characteristic of synthetics is their inability to let your skin breathe, so you'll literally have clothes where the inside is dripping with sweat. Natural materials like cotton is best if you really care about that

That being said, Japan is advanced enough that if you hang out in any city pretty much every building will be air conditioned, so you'll only spend maybe a short while out in the hot humid outside during your entire trip. Don't remember if trains are air conditioned by I imagine they probably are.

On a side note, the only real-world impact I can think of is for what you wear is that fashion is one of the aspects used to figure out if someone is Japanese, Chinese or Korean.
>>
>>1238595

> account-keeping fees?
For consumer accounts, generally no.

>What are the interest rates like?
As close to zero as possible. A US$100K account will earn something like US$1 in interest annually. It's a joke.

For furriners the best bank is Shinsei Bank. You can do everything in English (including online access); withdrawals are from 7-11 ATMs. Shinsei however doesn't accept cash so initial account opening and subsequent deposits must be done via transfers.

>What about cellphone and internet plans in terms of cost/data?

Pretty expensive (cellphone). Have your own phone (or buy a used one here, they're easy to find) and shop around for SIM deals among the carriers, or get a pocket hotspot. For internet JCOM is good; high-speed plans are around Y6000/month.
>>
File: 14776446748_47c56ccac1_b.jpg (203KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
14776446748_47c56ccac1_b.jpg
203KB, 1024x683px
Is there anything worth seeing or doing in Kobe? I'm trying to find a way to justify going to see pic related.
>>
>>1238327
>Lower pay makes sense to me
>In a more expensive environment
Huh?
>>
>>1238541
>>1238317
Wow, I totally couldn't tell you are the same person! Amazing!!!!!

Also, good job invalidating your opinions!
>Uhh, well, I n-never liked Japanese culture anyway!!!! All shrines are the same!!!!!
Great stuff.
>>
>>1238611
Kobe is great. Take a boat ride around the port and go up the tower during the sunset. There are some cool malls out there if you're into that. You can also see a small outdoor museum that shows you the damage of the earthquake that happened. Chinatown has awesome food and is right next to everything so you can just walk from there to the port.

It's definitely great for a day trip, and if you want to spend more than one day, Mt. Rokko is amazing.
>>
File: cheese.jpg (91KB, 854x481px) Image search: [Google]
cheese.jpg
91KB, 854x481px
>everyone keeps implying I'm going as a sex tourist or to find a girl to bring back home
>27 year old virgin
>>
>>1238620
Not the same person though. I guess you're not allowed to dislike Kyoto here. Sorry for upsetting you with my differing opinion.
>>
>>1238630
Same here.
>>
>>1238630
>tfw I secretly am
>>
>>1238630
That's the first thing my Dad said to me when I told him too.
>implying I could actually pull that off

Also, how common are Suica scanners in shops? I hate carrying cash and I would just like to put 10000 yen on my suica card every so often.
>>
>>1238215
how did you meet a 24 year old nurse?
>>
>>1238592
You're going to stick out anyway. People that live in Japan for 20 years still stick out because the country is so homogeneous. If you're going to be going out at night, bring a few pairs of long pants, preferably slim.
>>
>>1238630
>Got a job teaching English
>Parents and friends keep telling me not to fug the students

Like Im gonna risk my job and wind up in jail when there's plenty of cakes, milfs and uni students who want my ochinko...
>>
Whats a good language buddies/Jap sex app?
>>
Hey, I'm going to Japan for three weeks in June - rain aside - is there anywhere people would recommend hitting up?

I really like semi-urban/semi-rural areas where you can just sorta wander and explore and the feeling of expanse(but not necessarily to the point of mountaineering).

Are there any particular places that are worth hitting up? Like, I was thinking of heading out in the direction of Nara or Aomori possible?

Or more generally, just any unique cultural touch stones/geographical locations that are "obligatory"? (I'd kinda like to avoid tourist traps if possible though, so I was thinking of skipping on things like the Tokyo Sky Tree).
>>
>>1238618
I'd rather make a little less money but live in Tokyo than make a little more money and live in Wakkanai
>>
>>1238608
You can make cash deposits at Post Office ATMs and Shinsei Bank branches, but specifically not レイク branches
>>
>>1238660
>You can make cash deposits at Shinsei Bank branches

Really? When I opened my account (admittedly, a few years ago) at the sole Shinsei branch in my city, they refused to take cash. I had to transfer money in from another Japanese bank that would take cash deposits.
>>
>>1238639
You'll need cash unless you plan to spend money exclusively at convenience stores and vending machines.
>>
How do I join the Yakuza? I'm not white, so I believe I have a better chance of joining them since I'm a gook. Do I need to cut my finger ?
>>
>>1238215
Biggest misconception is that the entire country is spotless, there are definitely a lot of filthy areas if you care to notice them.
>>
>>1238664
Japan is cash only at places like restaurants and shops?
>>
>>1238546
>mid July
what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>1238630
Tell them Japan is probably the worst Asian country for sex tourism and if you really wanted to do that you'd be going to hong kong or thailand
>>
wew lads
Fushimi Inari should be renamed Chinktown: selfie-stick edition.

Luckily most of them couldn't get their greasy bodies past the halfway point.
>>
>>1238574
>>1238576

I had a bit of trouble for some reason while i was over there. The only ATMs that worked 100% of the time were in the 7/11s - everywhere else it would work some times and not others, very strange, not sure why. So yeah, not a big issue but be weary.
>>
>>1238702
anon, you can stop now. We get it, you didn't like the city. Other people don't like places too. But they keep that to themselves unless asked without sperging like an autist all the time
>>
>>1238710
I'm not that autist. I enjoyed it from the halfway point, and the view was great. I went to Higashiyama too and enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely worth coming to Kyoto.

But seriously the Inari hike is full of chinese people with selfie-sticks. Feel free to go yourself.
>>
>>1238712
there's other options to go to the top though besides the main path. Also complaining about Chinese people with selfie-sticks at major tourist sides is like going to e.g. Moscow in Winter and complaining that it's cold. Sure it's annoying but it's inevitable
>>
>>1238309
I actually semi-agree with that anon. Found Kyoto very underwhelming, though I did go outside of cherry blossom season. I didn't have a bad time there, but definitely spent too much time (5 days I think, 2 or 3 would have been better). It is quite beautiful in parts however, and easy to get around if you hire a bike.
>>
File: Nani.png (117KB, 564x504px) Image search: [Google]
Nani.png
117KB, 564x504px
>>1238630
I got an ALT job and people say that to me.

Jokes on them, I'm romantically autistic
>>
>>1238679
Eh, if you are referring to the weather during that time, (not sure what else I would be a fucking idiot about), I don't really get bothered by hot areas or humidity. I also love rain. So if the rainy season continues through then I'd just be cool with it.
>>
>>1238710
I'm the original poster in this thread saying Kyoto was a massive disappointment.

Since 3 or 4 other anons have said similar remarks and also implied that Kyoto was over hyped, maybe, just maybe, it really isn't that great of a city.

If only /trv/ had the same system as /pol/ or even /int/ you could probably see that it is different people.

You can keep calling everyone who doesn't like Kyoto autistic though, you do you anon.
>>
>>1238740
It's at least worth a day trip right?
>>
>>1238751
Yes, two nights is ideal I think.
That guy just has a hate-boner for Kyoto and shills against it in every thread.
>>
>>1238752
There are a couple of posters who say the same thing every thread without fail

My favorite is the guy who says
>Japan is only worth going to if you like anime and manga
What the fuck does even mean??

And then there is the guy who hates Japan and tells everybody who likes it to go back to the Japan general
>The only people who like japan are people who haven't been anywhere else in asia/world and keep going back to Japan instead of other places!!!!
>>
I leave thursday , me and my friends have a realitvely laid out plan but we have some open time any suggestions? Tokyo/ Yokohama/Kyoto/Osaka
>>
>>1238592
Wear linen or cotton button down tops. You can find summer pants too that are linen. Neutral colors in lighter shades are nice too.
>>
>>1238755
yes
>>
For a first time solo traveler, which is better: Osaka or Tokyo?

Heard Tokyo is the bigger and more 'city-like option' but Osaka's food is awesome.
>>
>>1238751
Yeah you could do a day trip from Osaka, which in my opinion is a much better city. Go see the Fushimi inari, see the hordes of chinese tour groups and young asians using historic sites as selfie backgrounds. Don't worry about packing food or drink for the day trip, they have conveniently placed vending machines and overprice cafes all throughout the trail.

Credit where credit is due though, Gion is great at dusk when it starts to liven up. Walking through it feels like you're going back in time, it is expensive as fuck and a lot of places are exclusive members only establishments, but it's nice to walk around.

>>1238752
>>1238754
Are you samefagging ? I honestly would love for a mod to confirm if you're same fagging. Because I made one comment early on about Kyoto being over hyped despite it being one of the things I looked forward to the most. Other people agreed somewhat with my point and you sperg out. I honestly do not see your obsession with Kyoto, you can't say it isn't a tourist trap, overpriced, and dull.

If you like being herded around historic sites in tour groups all day and sleep by 8pm, Kyoto is probably for you. If you're going there to see some of 'old Japan' like I was, you will be disappointed.
>>
>>1238592
A katana and a kimono
>>
>>1238369

In October the autumn colours are mostly in the North and in higher altitudes. I think by November you'll be able to see the autumn colours everywhere. I think there's a forecast system actually, where you can check when and where the autumn colours are best.
>>
What's my best option for a SIM card with data? Planned 3weeks in Shibuya and the pocket wifi at my airbnb can't support 3 devices day. I've read up on Sakura and iijmio, but i was wondering if there was any better options after I land. I'm canadian if that changes anything.
>>
Do i need my diploma to be an english teacher in Japan? I've graduated but the whole process of getting my actual certification is a pain in the ass, I know it probably helps but it is it really necessary? Also anyone knows anywhere i can apply other than teachaway and the usual online websites that handle this job applications?
>>
>>1238844

I personally used eConnect Japan the last time I went. I like their 100MB/day model, because even if you go over the limit it's only slowed down to 128kb/s so you can still use the internet reasonably well.
>>
>>1238853
Nice, so I just order online and pick it up at the airport? Is it possible to just buy it straight at the airport without pre-order?
>>
>>1238854

From their website:

>Our website requires at least 4 days in advance to place an order.

>But the earlier, the better as we might run out of stock. We also give early purchasers a discount if they order three weeks or earlier (for WiFi rental only).

I wouldn't risk waiting too long.
>>
>>1238858
nice, thx man.
>>
Can someone other than >>1238270
weigh in on shinto shrines? I posted >>1238342 and weather they're in Kyoto or not, I don't care.
I hope to vist the best shrines & temples, starting with Sengakuji.
>>
>>1239036
Miyajima is nice, it has a few shrines around it. Are you organizing a tour group or what ?
>>
I'm leaving Japan tomorrow and accidentally withdrew 50k instead of 5k yen. I can't deposit it back to my account and aside from the foreign transaction fee, I'm getting fucked with the exchange rate. What are some things I can buy for cheaper here than in America? I was thinking about getting a GoPro but idk which store would retail them.
>>
>>1239055
Weeb stuff.
>>
>>1239055
Double check the prices, shit is probably cheaper in America. As >>1239057 said, you can buy weeb stuff. Remember your passport so you can avoid paying the tax.
>>
>>1239047
Not really a tour, just me and friends.
What stands out about Miyajima?
>>
File: miyajima.jpg (140KB, 785x327px) Image search: [Google]
miyajima.jpg
140KB, 785x327px
>>1239060
It's a small island full of shinto shrines that you wanted to see
>>
>>1238789
>If you like being herded around historic sites in tour groups all day and sleep by 8pm, Kyoto is probably for you.

This is what makes me think that the lack of nightlife killed the experience to you. Even moreso when you recommend staying in Osaka instead. Everything else is just you being pissy over nothing.

Newsflash. Every tourist attraction is going to have the selfie-stick old people groups. I got back from Hiraizumi a few hours ago and ran into them there. They were at Nikko and Chuzenji as well. I'd be surprised if Kyoto was any better, but it isn't going to ruin my stay if it isn't.
>>
Just bought a shinkansen ticket today. I'm going to the fox sanctuary on Golden Week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEUKK7SyY64

Probably would have been a lot cheaper to stay in Tokyo and visit one of the many animal-themed cafes, though.
>>
>>1239134
I hope you bought a seat reservation as well
>>
>>1239139
Yeah, I did. Although I don't think standing for two hours would have killed me.

I actually went to a travel agency in a shopping mall and they hooked me up with the tickets. Did you know travel agents still existed in Japan?
>>
>>1239141
I mean, they exist everywhere in the world. Especially Japan with all the old people could use them
>>
>>1239069
No it was the lack of excitement in the traditional sites. When you litter a historic site with vending machines and overpriced ice cream vendors, it kills the vibe a bit ya know?

I was really looking forward to Kyoto, I was interested in seeing 'old Japan', it isn't there, Gion was it's only saving grace and it's only three streets and very expensive and exclusive.

If you like it, that's fine, I don't understand how, since you've never really explained it in any post, I don't and a few others on this post have agreed. I consider it a giant tourist trap, because well when your most historic and well known site is filled with vending machines you're really just selling the history down the river.

Maybe instead of just saying I am wrong, explain to me and anyone else reading this post, why Kyoto is great and worth a visit. Or just continue your autistic screeching, I really don't care either way.
>>
>>1239145
>Gion was it's only saving grace and it's only three streets and very expensive and exclusive.

It's 3 main streets, with numerous side alleys and of course it's exclusive and expensive, that's the whole point of it.

>because well when your most historic and well known site is filled with vending machines you're really just selling the history down the river.

Or maybe it's because so many people visit those sites that there is business to be made there? I mean, you can't really prohibit people from setting up stalls outside of popular sites if it's allowed everywhere else. Some people also just want to buy something to drink or a quick snack when exploring, I don't know why that automatically qualifies a site or a city as a tourist trap, I mean it's not like they force you to buy anything from those vending machines or stalls.

>Maybe instead of just saying I am wrong, explain to me and anyone else reading this post, why Kyoto is great and worth a visit.

It's a nice comfy town outside the main tourist attractions. It has a lot of greenery inside and outside the city, a famous riverbank with BBQs, restaurants, some great museums, interesting historic sites that are unfortunately, but naturally very popular.
>>
>>1239148
No the stalls and vending machines are inside the site, there were graves, and right next to the graves was a vending machine. I am very much a capitalist and I'm not even one for tradition, but it was honestly one of the most disgusting things I have seen in my life. If you think having vending machines and trashy vendors on historic sites is okay, then that is where we have our differences.

What do you mean it is a comfy town outside of the tourist attractions? A lot of greenery is a bonus for Japan, I mean you can find green areas in most of Japans concrete jungles but maybe there are slightly more in Kyoto ?

You're sperging out on me, pointing out some of the shitty aspects of the town, but when asked about why you think it's so great, you give a pretty half assed sentence with no real substance as to why you find the place so great.
>>
>>1239151
>No the stalls and vending machines are inside the site, there were graves

Which site was that? I never saw any at Kinkakuji, Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama, the imperial palace, Nanzenji, the national museum etc.

>What do you mean it is a comfy town outside of the tourist attractions?

I mean that if you stroll outside of the beaten path (e.g. Gion, Higashiyama), the city becomes very traditional with small wooden houses, traditional stores and just daily life stuff.

>A lot of greenery is a bonus for Japan, I mean you can find green areas in most of Japans concrete jungles but maybe there are slightly more in Kyoto ?

There is a lot more compared to similarly sized cities (e.g. Osaka, Fukuoka, Nagasaki).

>You're sperging out on me, pointing out some of the shitty aspects of the town, but when asked about why you think it's so great, you give a pretty half assed sentence with no real substance as to why you find the place so great.

I wasn't the one who you were originally replying to. Idk man, I gave you concrete things (the riverbank, museums, historic sites for example), idk how much more concrete you want me to get? I've had some great experiences there, saw some cool temples, met some nice locals and had some great food, that's why I would recommend it
>>
>>1239159
The one I am talking about is at Fushimi Inari, as you climb to the top you cannot miss the vending machines, most because there is one every 300 meters. Some next to the graves, some next to the many buildings shilling little knick knacks, or selling overpriced snacks.

Oh right so you just go to a random train station or bus stop and walk down a few streets ? And you're telling me you see some older traditional buildings? That must be exclusive to Kyoto.

So you like the place because some locals spoke to you and you saw a few museums?

You've sold me on Kyoto anon. I've completely changed my mind and would highly recommend everyone else spend as much time in Kyoto as possible. It offers such a unique experience, that you cannot have anywhere else in the country.
>>
>>1238847
Its MUCH easier with your actual diploma but I used my transcripts. Took a lot longer than my diploma using friends but it was possible
>>
>>1238787
If have passable Japanese Osaka will be better, if not Tokyo will be better by a lot
>>
>>1239162
>The one I am talking about is at Fushimi Inari, as you climb to the top you cannot miss the vending machines

oh you're talking about normal vending machines? Anon, I'm sorry but complaining about vending machines in Japan is like comparing about bicycle in Japan or hot dog stalls in China. They are there even in the most far out corners of the countries.

>Oh right so you just go to a random train station or bus stop and walk down a few streets ? And you're telling me you see some older traditional buildings? That must be exclusive to Kyoto.

I never said it's exclusive to it? But Kyoto has a certain feel to it that I haven't really felt in any other part of the country during my 3 trips there.

>So you like the place because some locals spoke to you and you saw a few museums?

now you're just being facetious and unnecessarily cherry pick. If you want other things to do/see, you can start looking here http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html, I'm sure you'll find something for your taste

>You've sold me on Kyoto anon. I've completely changed my mind and would highly recommend everyone else spend as much time in Kyoto as possible. It offers such a unique experience, that you cannot have anywhere else in the country.

idk why you are so salty man, but you come off unnecessarily angry about people having a different opinion about a city than you desu
>>
>>1239164
I thought you needed a bachelors to be an ALT in Japan ?
>>
>>1239167
Wait I assumed his question was about using the actual diploma.

You need bachelor's degree or 10+ years of teaching experience period to be an English teacher in Japan.
>>
>>1239166
You're right, Japan is known for vending machines, Temples in SEA should have hookers sitting in them, China's historical sites should have little nike factories running along side them, I mean it would be weird to not see a little sweat shop on the great wall right ?!

I asked you to sell Kyoto, like why should people spend time in Kyoto over anywhere else in Japan? And you responded with walking down smaller streets in random suburbs, and sitting on a riverbank that has a few restaurants next to it, and going to museums ?

I mean come on anon, you go to Kyoto for the historic old sites, and they've been ruined in my opinion by the things I've mentioned multiple times. To you, none of my grievances are an issue at all, so you love Kyoto enough to visit it three times, you obviously love it, I do not, I can express quite clearly why I do not like it, you cannot really express why you actually like it.

That's fine, but you don't need to sperg out when I point out what others might also consider flaws in the city. This is what the board is for isn't it ? To tell other people about our experiences, a few people in this thread have also agreed with some of what I have said. I'm being a dick to you because you're trying to tell someone that their subjective opinion is wrong. I've made a decent case for why people should skip Kyoto, or just do a day trip. If you disagree then you can make your case as to why people should spend their time in Kyoto over anywhere else in Japan.
>>
>>1239173
>You're right, Japan is known for vending machines, Temples in SEA should have hookers sitting in them, China's historical sites should have little nike factories running along side them, I mean it would be weird to not see a little sweat shop on the great wall right ?!

Your being facetious again. It's not that Japan is known for vending machines, it's that they are everywhere. Yes, even in historic sites and it has been that way for decades. You saying it should not be that way is going to a country and trying to impose your moral compass on the local culture.

>nd you responded with walking down smaller streets in random suburbs, and sitting on a riverbank that has a few restaurants next to it, and going to museums ?

I also said there are historic sites and that the city has a special feel to it that I haven't seen anywhere else in the country plus great food and also gave a list of points of interest.

>To you, none of my grievances are an issue at all, so you love Kyoto enough to visit it three times, you obviously love it, I do not, I can express quite clearly why I do not like it, you cannot really express why you actually like it.

Well, your main grievance seems to be that there are vending machines at touristic sites, to which, see above. Yes the nightlife is pretty dull there, but it's not known for it. Gion is a pretty exclusive district, that's common sense unless you were expecting something else (?). Anything else I forgot?

>I'm being a dick to you because you're trying to tell someone that their subjective opinion is wrong.

but it's not subjective, you're giving reasons as to why you didn't like the city. If you didn't like the city because of those, that is fine, but I feel it's still worth pointing out flaws in those reasons (just as you are pointing out flaws in mine)
>>
Well done /trv/, another japan general ruined by the autist who's screeching about Kyoto and vending machines.

Please in future threads can you ignore this guy? If you do he will eventually tire and go away. No doubt he will rise and respond to this regardless.
>>
I've just finished my TEFL, my passport will be here in two weeks, but i'm not sure where to go to actually go job hunting in japan.
Dave's ESL cafe seems to be the place to be, but outside of Korea and China, the job postings look really sketchy.

Is there any good job posting boards for Japan?
>>
>>1239261
GaijinPot

Also can you retarded faggots stop with the Kyoto argument? Its pro/anti‐skub‐tier pointless.
>>
>>1239173
Jesus Christ dude, stop sperging out. We get that you don't like Kyoto. This has been going on for multiple threads.
>>
File: valks.jpg (115KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
valks.jpg
115KB, 1024x768px
what's the best japanese airline to use?
>>
>>1239315
They're pretty expensive
>>
>>1239294
Thanks!
Just waiting on my teacher to mark my final assignment and then i need to spam applications before i get kicked out my current house.
>>
>>1239315
The ones from Canada are always more expensive unless you get them on sale in which case they're a lot cheaper
>>
I can't seem to find a recent source, but does anybody know if you need a round trip ticket to fly to Japan? I'm planning in landing in Haneda airport in Tokyo, and I'm planning on flying Asiana or Hainan. Not sure if that matters. Thanks.
>>
>>1238546
Chasing the dragon, breh.
>>
>>1239315
I've only flown ANA, and they blow every US carrier out of the water. LAX seems to be the city for their cheapest fares.
>>
>>1239335

Erm, even if you got a job today, the visa application takes a month or two at the quickest. I hope you have more housing plans...
>>
>>1239182
>>1239200
>>1239294
>>1239301
Is this samefagging ?

New to this board, because it's like one of the smallest boards on 4chan, and I was looking at traveling to Japan. This whole argument started because someone asked what was the biggest misconception in Japan and he answered Kyoto, backed up his claims with why, maybe he didn't research the city enough?

Then you guy/s are actually sperging out without addressing any of his issues except by saying "oh yeah that, it's fine don't worry about it". From this threat I have learned that Kyoto is just a place seemingly packed full of tourists that all look at the historic sites, nothing to do at night, and can be dull if you don't walk down unknown streets to get a "feel" for the town ?

Spergfest aside, I'm looking at going to the ski fields this season, so probably January 2018. Should I buy a board here and take it over, or is it cheaper to buy/rent one there? I understand as it will be peak season accommodation will be quite expensive, does anyone have any cheaper recommendations, I don't mind hostels or anything like that. Last question for now is, if I don't like seafood will I still be able to eat well or cheaply ? I have no idea of the food culture of the country outside of sushi, seafood and rice.
>>
I'm busy planning my trip at the moment. Anyone with experience, how does this look? For the Hiroshima leg of the trip.
I'm planning to get to Hiroshima at night, then go to the Mazda museum tour in the morning. Then I'll go take the ferry at Peace Park to Miyajima and spend the rest of the day there, probably walk up the mountain and take the ropeway down, and stay overnight at a Ryokan.
The next day I'll see anything else I didn't get to at Miyajima before going back to Hiroshima, spending most of the day at the Peace Park and going to a 6pm Carps baseball game.

Specifically for the baseball game, who else has been? It sounds cool but I'm not into baseball or go to much live sport. Honestly I'm worried I'd feel out of place with all the excited fans.
>>
I finally caved and bought my ticket for the fall. I won't be going until November, so I've got plenty of time to plan. I'd like to not spend an arm and a leg on accommodations, so I'm thinking I'll either stay in a hostel or find a capsule hotel.
>>
>>1239367
airbnb has some cheap options too
>>
As an ALT starting off, will you make enough money to survive in Japan, maybe even have enough to put away some money? Also what ages would I generally be teaching?

I feel like junior high would be the best age group to teach.
>>
>>1239363
You can fit something else in on the day you do peace park, if you really drag it out, you can make the park and museum last 4 hours, but you would have to really drag it out.
>>
File: FNdn8mG.jpg (251KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FNdn8mG.jpg
251KB, 1920x1080px
Hey y'all who's that Japanese YouTuber names Bucky or some shit who posts videos of him (attempting to) speaks English? There was this one place he went to I wanted to get the name of.
>>
>>1239383
Nevermind, found it. It was this place if anyone's into this sorta thing:

https://youtu.be/VYc4vRd6AvA
>>
>>1239315
JAL is excellent
>>
>>1239377
You'll make enough money to rent, pay down loans, and drink every weekend. But theres a hard ceiling on teaching English and you shouldn't count on it as an actual career that will let you do adult things like buy a non-shit car or a house
>>
>>1239315
ANA and JAL will be better than every single North American airline
>>
3,500 USD enough for a month in japan? Hotel and flight already paid for and so are train tickets.

I know a good chunk of it depends on what you plan to do but not doing much outside maybe a few bars and clubs some nights. Aside from that might go to disney, some amusement parts, musuem, palaces, and shit like that
>>
>>1239411
You can go all out on food and attractions and throw in a more expensive Yoshiwara soapland with that.
>>
>>1239367
don't fall for the capsule hotel meme, except for maybe one night if you want to experience it.
>>
Currently planning my second trip to Japan after staying mainly in Tokyo for 30 days (+ 4 days Kyoto). Travelling with my family this time, so I am choosing the bigger cities as destinations.
Current plan would be 1 week Osaka with day trips to Kyoto, Kobe, Nara. 2-3 days Hiroshima with Miyajima. Final destination would be Tokyo for another 7 days.
Still not sure if Sendai is worth a visit for like 2 days before moving on to Tokyo. Yamadera and Matsushima look nice on paper. Any experience?
>>
>>1239315

I flew JAL 3 times and had a fantastic time, only ever had 1 flight postponed but the hotel and compensation they gave us was fantastic.
>>
9 days in and my knees are killing me. Where would I find knee braces or something like icy/hot patches in Japan? Family Mart, 7-Eleven, and Lawson didn't seem to have any.
>>
>>1239437
Fatties shouldn't go to Japan
>>
Any anons been to the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route? Is it worth it for a day trip from Tokyo? I've researched as much as i can about it but any tips would be appreciated. Going in May.
>>
>>1239437
anywhere with 薬

I'm a student studying abroad in Japan, and I wanna find the lewdest thing me and my girlfriend can do in tokyo, advice?
>>
>>1238576
>>1238704
Thanks guys, good to know.
>>
Do you have to book tickets for a bullet train if you have a JR Pass, or can you just turn up? Do you have to book seats too?
>>
>>1239453
Go check out a japanese strip joint, they are good fun. Just get familiar with the rules.
>>
>>1239470
Just turn up, but make sure you get in one of the non-reserved cars.
>>
>>1239472
Thanks anon, how can you tell the difference between cars? I don't imagine the signage is also in English.
>>
>>1239473
It is.
>>
>>1239474
thanks bud
>>
>>1239438
>implying

Not everyone is obese like you

>>1239453
Thanks. Saw a place called tomod*s next to my hotel, but they were closing up. Going to Aizu tomorrow and hopefully hiking Mt Bandai, hoping my knees don't hurt too bad by the end of it.
>>
>>1239482
Gave a drink with me if you're every free:^)
>>
>>1239381
Right so you'd recommend I find another thing to do? Or peharps spend a bit more time on miyajima before returning.. cos I'm thinking if I'm going to get there possibly as late as 2pm the previous day and go up the mountain I won't have too much time there. And I don't like being too rushed
There we go I've made my own decision I think. If I'm going to blow a bit of cash staying at a ryokan might as well relax and take my time there.
>>
>>1239482
I'm not a fatty so 9 days of walking doesn't cause strain on my body.
>>
>>1239490
Yeah spend most of the day in miyajima if possible, I went through the peace park in like 30 minutes, I skipped the museum though. My friend went into the museum and finished up in about 40 minutes there. Plus miyajima is one of my favourite places in Japan.
>>
>>1239428
I'd recommend Hakone for the Onsen and a bit of nature
>>
>>1239426
what's it like?
>>
>>1239549
depends on the capsule hotel. The one I was in Kyoto was really sterile, they offered you some free pyjama. Otherwise it's really just a capsule to sleep in (it was loud as fuck as well with the AC blowing inside)

The one I was staying in Tokyo (because everything else was booked out), was more run down, had an old school TV with 8 hours of 80's porn for 500 Yen, with unfriendly staff.

Keep in mind that you also can't stay in the rooms past 9AM (until like 2-3 PM) so you can't access your personal belongings in that time
>>
>>1239559
Yeah, I think I'll just do an airbnb.
>>
>>1238641
just stay at an guest house during summer. Stayed at around 12 of them during my 4 weeks of backpacking and met a total of 21 nurses, ages 21-32.
They seem to be the only ones able to take short breaks or holidays, most of them were on 3-day weekends visiting some famous spot or the like.
>>
>>1239411
>3500 for a month

With that you'd have to be burning at least 110 dollars a day.

I feel most people grossly overestimate their budget for a trip to Japan here. Obviously having more money than not enough is better, but unless you aren't walking most places or using your train pass things are fairly cheap. I dunno everyone is different I suppose, unless you are going to go buy overpriced weeb merch in akihabara you should be mostly fine.
>>
What are some really good places to hike during the summer? Since I'm from Florida I'd love a chance to some beautiful mountain scenery.
>>
Going to Japan next year, summer probably. Travelling with my bff, we both like whisky a lot so whisky bars are a must.
So far I've written down Nikka Blenders Bar and Zoetrope, any other good places in the Tokyo area?
Also looking to cop some vinyl, 70-80s folk, pop, soul. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1239660
Oh, also I'm interested in finding good retro second hand shops
>>
>>1239344
Going to abuse spareroom to get a house that i can drop in a heartbeat if the need arises.
Had this planned for a while, problem being that the shortest time i can keep my current place is 6 months. A little too early for the next school year, so i'm hoping to go over early half way through the year.
>>
So I'm looking at staying in Akita for a while, but the airbnb selection has me a little... confused? There's about 6 or so new places, with no information at all, the "owners" all have weird, vaguely western sounding names like "lewis", and the photos are all really low quality shots that are obviously a photo of a screen.

Am I going to get murdered if I book one of these?
>>
Anyone ever stayed in Ryokan Eishinkan in Shinjuku? It looks nice and it's close to stations.
>>
File: Karen.jpg (33KB, 307x460px) Image search: [Google]
Karen.jpg
33KB, 307x460px
Im a history student who graduates this year. Ive been thinking about doing TEFL for a year or so. Is it better to teach in Japan or some other country like Korea or China and how hard is it exactly to get hired. My intention is to use it as a way to learn to teach before maybe getting a job back in Britain. Sorry if im shitting up your comfy general with a broad question about teaching
>>
Tips on Tokyo museums?

Is Edo-Tokyo or Tokyo National Museum worth going to? What about Miraikan?
>>
>>1239644
I was under the impression that things in Japan and Tokyo are stupid expensive
>>
I'm so glad I live in Sweden where everything already is stupidly expensive so absolutely nothing in Japan will shock me when it comes to money. In fact the main thing I'm interested in, alcohol, is way cheaper in Japan than here, so I'm not sweating it at all. Can't fucking wait.
>>
>>1239699
Why only a year ? Isn't TEFL your only real job opportunity now ? Or are history degrees in high demand in the U.K.?

>>1239705
Huge misconception. If you're happy to stay in hostels and not eat Michelin star dishes every night it's relatively cheap for such a dense city.

There are a select few on here who will only stay in hotels, eat at restaurants and buy a lot of souvenirs - they will find Tokyo expensive.
>>
>>1239707
Find places that do all you can drink for two hours. Average cost is like 2000 yen
>>
>>1239707
Looking up most things in Japan it doesn't look too expensive to things in the US. Then again, the impression of it being expensive probably comes from the fact most people go on tour groups because the language barrier confuses a lot of people.

Seriously, most of the places I am looking up are as cheap if not cheaper than the US, but I also realize the portions are a bit smaller. The only real expensive places seem to be the ones with "american twists" on them
>>
>>1239702
All three are worth it. Miraikan is probably the most skippable of the three. Seeing the Asimo demonstration is kind of cool but it's a bit out of the way and usually stupid crowded.

>>1239377
>As an ALT starting off, will you make enough money to survive in Japan, maybe even have enough to put away some money? Also what ages would I generally be teaching?

Of course you make enough to SURVIVE. If you didn't no one would do it. How would you do it?

Basically like the other guy said: Being an ALT provides you with enough to live a comfortable existence as a single person with no dependents. You will have enough every month to buy food and eat out basically any time if you choose, join a gym, go out on the weekends, etc. But that's it. You only have enough money for now. You cannot do grown up things like put into savings or retirement or whatever, buy a car, put down on a house, etc.

However as an ALT in Japan there is a BIG difference between being a direct government hire or JET ALT and an ALT working for a dispatch company. We're talking like a $500-$700 a month difference in pay basically.

JET ALTs can live for now + save money and pay off loans or whatever.

And generally speaking you will probably end up teaching elementary or junior high school. High school jobs are more rare because lifer neckbeards and stuff cling on to them.

I like junior high, too though. My first ESL job was junior high in Korea. Junior high kids are cool.
>>
>>1239711
Yeah the Tokyo/Japan is super expensive meme needs to die.

Seoul has actually overtaken Tokyo in terms of cost of living overall on the rankings. I can say unequivocally that like western food items in Seoul are more expensive than in Tokyo. Christ bread loaves are like 12 fucking dollars in Seoul.

Unless things have changed in the 4 years since I was last in Korea, I will say though that public transportation is noticeably more expensive in Tokyo.
>>
>>1239711
>Why only a year ? Isn't TEFL your only real job opportunity now ? Or are history degrees in high demand in the U.K.?

Bit rude and uncalled for tbqh m8.
>>
How much do you think food would run me cost-wise if I was to do shopping at grocery stores in Osaka?
All I will have is probably a microwave and a fridge if that makes a difference.

I will be doing a work exchange for a free place to stay in Osaka for (hopefully) 2-3 months, but the main depending factor will be the cost of eating and drinking.

Is 25-30$ a day for food reasonable or is that too much/too little?
>>
>>1239718
>Is 25-30$ a day for food reasonable or is that too much/too little?

Going to depend what your diet consists of, seafood is going to be naturally cheaper in some sense. Milk is expensive for some reason, portions are a bit smaller. Whiskey and Sake is stupid cheap.
>>
>>1239715
>JET ALTs can live for now + save money and pay off loans or whatever.
I'm looking to get into JET now, was desparte and went with Interac who pays next to nothing compared to JET

Protip, don't go Interac
>>
>>1239719
I would try to eat somewhat healthy, but seafood being cheap absolutely makes sense so I would probably go down the seafood/sake route.

I'm sure there will be inevitable amounts of instant noodles though, I always end up defaulting back to that when I travel.
>>
>>1239720
Yeah, for reference JET pays 300k a month. Interac pays between 250-230k a month.
>>
>>1239711

>Why only a year ? Isn't TEFL your only real job opportunity now ? Or are history degrees in high demand in the U.K.?

History has few direct jobs you can get desu. You're supposed to market yourself based on the analytical and research skills you learn + writing. I just wanted to do a year or two abroad teaching english for experience and to aid my CV a bit
>>
>>1239721
Might be a good idea to look up some multi-vitamins you can get in japan for relatively cheap.

Portion sizes and other things will change depending on where you are coming from.

For my upcoming time in japan I am bringing some just because I understand my diet will probably change and a good multivitamin might help me adjust easier in my long stay
>>
>>1239725
Canada, so we have relatively large portion sizes like in the US.
I was expecting to eat fish/rice and yeah a multivitamin is a good idea if I'm not sure how well I'll be eating in general.
>>
>>1239726
Might be a good idea to shop around some Asian markets if they have them near where you live, start learning to make some dishes and smaller portion sizes. While your at it, also try to keep in mind how much you are spending doing so. Obviously, it will change once you get to japan but it can get you in the mind set of keeping a running budget and such.
>>
are the people fun? is there anything to do? can i walk around without shoes or shirt and wile the fuck out if i get bored? whats it like in general?
>>
>>1239717
Not really rude, a genuine question. That and most people who do TEFL did useless degrees and it is their only real option for work.

>>1239723
I didn't realise there were direct jobs for history majors. So you apply for analytical jobs at like banks and such ? How does teaching kids English in rural Japan help your CV for that kind of work? You just doing it as a working holiday kind of thing ?
>>
>>1239730
Sounds like you want to go to Bali m8
>>
>>1239733
just trying to size this place up so i know how much of my power level i should conceal
>>
>>1239736
with that attitude you'll just piss everyone off regardless where you go.

Act like you normally would when you go out and be polite
>>
Where should I head after Kyushu? Shikoku or Chugoku?
>>
>>1239732

>I didn't realise there were direct jobs for history majors. So you apply for analytical jobs at like banks and such ? How does teaching kids English in rural Japan help your CV for that kind of work? You just doing it as a working holiday kind of thing ?

Yeah history Jobs tend to be stuff like banks, marketing, Civil service and journalism. just generalist stuff. Im hoping to learn something from being thrown in at the deep end and the pay isnt so bad if you can be frugal like i can.
>>
>>1239736
I mean, if you're walking around without a shirt on you will impress most of them
>>
>>1239741
why? does it get cold or something?
>>
>>1239742
Yes anon, especially if you have awesome tattoos. Everyone will think you are Yakuza and instasuck your dick
>>
>>1239742
Yeah it's gets really cold, but even if it's hot you'll still be the only dude without a shirt on
>>
>>1239453
Happening bar or if you really want to go extreme Couple Kiss
>>
>>1239363
From what I understand, Carp home games are hard to buy tickets for on the day.
>>
>>1239401
Any path you can move into afterwards that offers a more serious career?
>>
>>1239660
http://mostly-retro.com/2016/10/03/the-biggest-guide-to-tokyo-record-stores-on-the-internet/

handy guide to record stores in tokyo
>>
>tfw JK walks past, and says in English "My name is Kimiko. I rav you. Kissu me!"
>>
>>1239739
I did history at university and I'm an accounting/finance manager. As anon says if you emphasise the analytical nature of it, you'll be able to apply for most jobs (especially in UK where most jobs do not require a specific degree).

Just because the other sperge has led a miserable life studying economics or engineering does not make history/ humanities a 'useless' degree.
>>
>>1239758
The career your degree offers you if its STEM and you bothered to learn the language or a university gig if you got a masters or higher in English
>>
>>1239453
Couple kissa m8. My gf and I go. Hit me up if you see this. Srs.
>>
>>1239776
So did you?
>>
>TFW just landed in murrica and want to go back to japan

i wish i could just live there
>>
>>1239341
1 way is オッケー
>>
How nice of a destination would Miyajima be? Enough to spend a day there? Too touristy?
>>
>>1239648
Hokkaido, Japanese Alps, Kyushu, Shikoku etc. 75% of the land mass is covered in mountains
>>1239738
how much time do you have?
>>
How do I meet people in Shinjuku?

>tfw hotel
>tfw alone
>tfw godzilla won't shut the fuck up
>>
>>1239788
Until you actually enter the workforce

Vacation for 2 weeks isn't the same as actually living and working there.
>>
>>1239802
check meetup.com, there's tons of events going on each week where you can meet locals and foreigners
>>
>>1239805
Thanks. From the pictures it seems like 90% foreigners tbqh.

I'll probably just wander around and leave it to fate.
>>
>>1239811
Go to golden gai and you can make a ton of friends, Kabukicho is right next door, good chance of making friends there too. Should of stayed in a hostel anon and just became friends with people there.
>>
>>1239817
Yeah definitely. I'll do hostels next time.
>>
>>1239811
I did two or three events and it was always a good mix of Japanese and foreigners. I'm still in touch with some Japanese friends I met at those events.

Just randomly meeting people wandering around is possible if you speak decent Japanese. Otherwise, your chances are much higher at places where Japanese people usually speak English (e.g. language exchanges)
>>
>>1239819
Go to golden gai, small traditional pubs, everyone is friendly and just start up a conversation
>>
>tfw got rained out and couldnt go to miyajima
>>
>>1239787
Given that she was with about 20 other schoolgirls, and I was walking with my brother, no.
>>
>>1238215
I thought there would be more sushi restaurants. I spent 10 days there (in Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Ube) and I couldnt find one. Also whats up with there being like, no fucking garbage bins anywhere
>>
>>1239804
true. vacation isnt the same as living. i just know that once i graduate, i'll have a life sentence to my work and vacation will be hard to come by for a long while till i work my way up
>>
>>1239759
Sick, this will come in handy. Thanks a lot
>>
>>1239845
anon I...how could you not find Sushi Restaurants? Damn son

As for the garbage bin thing, it's an aftermath of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack
>>
>>1239860
That's why I became a teacher. Pay is enough for a single person and I get loads of vacation time.
>>
>>1239865
I saw only two sushi shops my whole time, one was a sushi nova in akibahara which was super packed, one was a dodgy little place in a mall in Ube. Guess I'm just unlucky?
And, sorry but what do garbage bins have to do with the sarin attacks?
>>
>>1239872
Japanese officials were afraid about having unsupervised things in public places (especially train stations), so they go rid of all the trash cans around train stations and then throughout the city (Tokyo). They kept it that way even after they caught the perpetrator of the Sarin attacks
>>
'struth I'm trying to plan my time in Tokyo but I have no fucken clue where to start

>>1239872
>And, sorry but what do garbage bins have to do with the sarin attacks?
Apparently rubbish bins double as explosives storage. In the major train stations in my city they're all transparent bags.
Taiwan seems to have a total of about 10 bins in every city too, and I was told that's to encourage people to create less waste. I can't speak for the success of it, but there's no way that would work here. If there isn't a bin within 5 metres of you it ends up on the ground instead.
>>
>>1239882
That's cause it's straya cunt

The whole no bin thing in Japan is actually fucked though. I was holding onto scraps of paper in my jacket for weeks because every time I remembered I had waste there was no fucking bins.

If you want to drink, and you do because you are Australian, Shinjuku is probably your best bet, it's a cool area, has golden gai, piss alley, and kabukicho. You really want to stay in an area that has the nightlife you want to go to, because trains stop at midnight, and taxis are expensive as fuck in Tokyo, so it's either home before midnight or you're out until 5am.
>>
>>1239817
What is there to do in Kabukicho that doesn't involve hostesses?

Serious question.

I lived in Japan for 3 years and found Shinjuku boring as hell at night, once you've finished dinner, when not in Golden Gai until I discovered Happening Bars
>>
File: 1487287061207.jpg (56KB, 583x435px) Image search: [Google]
1487287061207.jpg
56KB, 583x435px
I have the chance to study abroad to waseda University next spring, should I consider taking this up? I've always wanted to go to Japan anyway.
>>
>>1239912
There is just a ton of places to drink, a few arcades, few restaurants and night clubs. What else do you want for night life other than pubs clubs and arcades ?
>>
Things to do in Matsuyama besides Dogo Onsen?
>>
When looking up Ryokans, is it ok to check in as a solo traveler? A lot of times the rates seem to be for a 2 person room
>>
>>1239951
There's an onsen right next to it that's also pretty cool. The castle is pretty much a normal Japanese castle.

While you're there, eat red snapper somewhere. It's the best in country.

When I was there I spent a lot of time just wandering around some of the pilgrimage stops.
>>
File: 20150623_152139.jpg (6MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150623_152139.jpg
6MB, 5312x2988px
How long could I stretch 8k USD in Japan? I'm interested in climbing Mt fuji this July, seeing the national parks and museums etc. Maybe 1 or 2 expensive Tokyo prostitutes. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1239975
If you are staying in capsules and hostels probably 2-3 months with ease. Would also depend on travel costs like how much you take taxi's and what not.
>>
I wanna visit Japan for 3-5 weeks in October since I'll be free for 6 weeks and traveling is pretty cool. Wanted to ask a couple questions.

What are the hotel prices like over there? Mainly for the big cities, are they comparable to prices for hotels in EU?

I'll be fine with minimal japanese knowledge, right? Like knowing basix phrases.

Is a budget of 5000-6000 euros enough or would it be more? How much more?
>>
>>1239982
Hotels are decently priced, but it depends on what you want and where you go. You can find places for under 10,000 yen a night, but you should just do your own research on this one. Information is pretty easy to find.

Basic phrases and knowing how to read it will get you by just fine. That being said, every word you know will make things a lot easier. If you stick to big cities, tons of people will speak English.

That amount is more than enough. But again it depends on what you want to do. If you're going so you can complete your katana collection, eat at the Robot Restaurant every night, and have weekly soapland visits, you might end up running a bit low by the end of it.
>>
>>1239936
What clubs? Nearly all the clubs are in and around Shibuya and Roppongi
>>
>>1239927
Do it.
>>
>>1239927
My uni also offered exchange to Waseda but my particular major didn't qualify for credit transfers so I didn't go. You should go if your credits will transfer
>>
>>1239993
Kind of related, but will $4000 get me a nice trip, do you think? I can get my flight and hotel for $2300 so that's $1700 in fun money
>>
File: 1388634613654.jpg (111KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1388634613654.jpg
111KB, 960x540px
Does anyone have any experiences going to jazz clubs in Tokyo?
>>
>>1239993
I'm not going for like weeb shopping reasons so im not gonna be using 1000s of euro on shopping. I keep seeing capsule hotels, are those any good/safe?
>>
>>1240101
They're basically hostels except a lot of older people use them and it's not as lively as a hostel
>>
>>1240105
Would you recommend it over a regular hostel or even a cheaper end hotel?
>>
Is there anywhere I'd be likely to find English versions of Japanese books?
>>
On my way to shibuya to find reasonably priced beer. Anybody want to join? I would go to HUB, drink cheap happy hour coctails and connect to the legions of gaijin in there but I am feeling more adventurous today.
>>
>>1240108
No
>>
>>1240109
Jimbocho has some book stores that cater to English speaking people
>>
Anyone in shinjuku tonight?
>>
>>1240129
Do you know if I can check into a hotel alone at age 21? When i visited the US with family the person checking in had to be 23.
>>
>>1240093
I went to one called Eagle Jazz Cafe (spelled いーぐる if you wanna look it up). It wasn't a live jazz place, but they play records over a high quality audio setup. Nice atmosphere, mostly just older guys there soaking in the Jazz.

There's another one called Jazz SPOT Intro in Takadanobaba. They hold live jam sessions there. Unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to go, but it looks comfy from the pictures and videos I've seen of it.
>>
Do i have to be 20 to go to oppai pubs/strip clubs and stuff?
>>
anyone ITT done the shikoku pilgrimage?
>>
>>1240203
yes
>>
>>1240212
Anywhere that'll you come into contact with tits will scrutinize your ID and test your Japanese before you're allowed in. Some boring hostess bars might not and the shadier ones are fronts for prostitutes that will try to get you to take them out
>>
UK bro booking a holiday to japan for later in the year. A few questions about finances:
>What is the spending limit before you have to pay duty tax on souvenirs?
>What is the general amount of spending money take for food, buying things, etc
>Do Japanese banks or ATMs take foreign bankcards?
>>
>>1240230
www.google.com
>>
>>1240065
Japan is as expensive as you want it to be. You can choose to spend every last dime on toys and authentic kimonos, or you can spend a month just catching all of the free tourist sights and be just fine. It all depends on what you're planning on. $1,700 is plenty.

>>1240203
I've never used a capsule hotel, but I see them all over the place. They're usually more expensive than a hostel, so I'm assuming you're paying for convenience and privacy. From what I can tell, they're more for if you're in a city for one night or something and just need a place to stay, but if that's the case I'd rather go to a manga cafe.

You'll be fine checking into hotels. No one will care.
>>
>>1240230
>What is the spending limit before you have to pay duty tax on souvenirs?
UK literally doesn't give a shit, just don't declare anything.
>>
>>1240241
Wouldn't you technically have to declare what you have in your luggage when it goes through scanners anyway? I'm very certain last time I went through airport security they made me put everything I had on me through x-ray scanners.
>>
>>1240243
No, they rely on people voluntarily declaring what they have by going through the exit that says "Goods to declare"
>>
>>1240212
If you wanna see tits with little hassle, check out Asakusa Rockza. It's a dance show with full nudity. It's west of Senso-ji temple, pretty much next door to the Donki in Asakusa. It's hard to miss, big fuck-off sign on the building that says "ROCKZA." They have beer, and the show is maybe an hour or so long.
>>
>>1240245
What about prostitutes? That still a thing there? Is that soapland now?
>>
>>1240247
If that's what you're after, then just stroll around Kabukicho after dark. You'll eventually be approached by a tout asking if you want "Japanese sex, Japanese titties." Had two of them approach me on my way back from the Samurai Museum. Dudes were both Japanese, might have been low-level Yakuza street muscle.
>>
Has anyone done a day trip to Koya-san from Osaka? Is it worth it over Nara, and how long does it take? I'll be staying 7 nights in Osaka in July during a larger 18 day trip, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. So far, it's looking like:

Day 1: Arrive and explore Osaka
Day 2: Explore Osaka
Day 3: Day trip to Kyoto
Day 4: Day trip to Kyoto
Day 5: Day trip to Kyoto (if I haven't seen enough) or Nara/Koyasan
Day 6: Nara/Koysan or more Osaka exploration
Day 7: Relax in/around a ryokan all day
Day 8: Leave
>>
>>1239871
What kind of teacher? How much do you make if you mind me asking? People say teachers make good money but then i look into it and that seems to be completely false. Like 30 to 50 thousand a year or something.

University professors earn more apparently but i dont want to get a doctorate...
>>
>>1239059
With regard to avoiding taxes, how does it work? What sorts of things can I avoid tax on? Souvenirs from shops? Dinner at a nice restaurant? Bento from 7/11? Do I have to keep receipts from all of these things for when I return through customs?
>>
>>1240228
my ID was never checked and I went to English friendly places (from the OP of this thread) and was never tested for my Japanese ability
>>
>>1239440
I haven't been, but will be going in July. Not sure what you're looking for, but this is my plan:

Leave Tokyo early in the morning, take shinkansen to Nagano, then train to Matsumoto. Explore Matsumoto for the afternoon/evening. Ride up to Omachi, where I've got an AirBnB booked. Early in the morning, drop my bags off at a place near the station; they'll transport them over to the station on the other side of the Alpine Route. Start on the route, make it up to Murodo. Hike to the summit of Mt. Tate and down. Check out Shomyo Falls. Hopefully I can manage this by 5:30 PM, when the baggage pickup closes. Take my bags and check into my AirBnB in Toyama. If I don't make it to the baggage place by 5:30, I don't really know what happens, but I imagine I just wouldn't be able to get them until morning, which is fine.

Checking the alpine route website is good for weather info and timetable planning.
>>
>>1240238
Are there decent hotels that cost around 60euro a night?
>>
>>1240203
>When i visited the US with family the person checking in had to be 23.

What the fuck? Can you not even rent a hotel room under 23 in America?
>>
>>1240256
You can get a tax exemption on any goods that you buy in Japan and can take back to your home country. Souvenirs? Yes. Dinner and bentos? No.

When you check out, ask them for a tax exemption. It's a bit of a process for the staff, though, so it would be courteous of you to only do it for relatively large purchases.
>>
Anybody else going to college over here? I just got into both Waseda and Tokyo U (paid for by the military) after a year and a half of language school. I'm about to be 28, but it should be worth it. Trying to decide which one to go to, they both have really nice engineering schools, so now it's just down to the school itself.

It's too fucking easy to get laid here when you're practically fluent (even if you're a 5'3" Manlet) as well, pretty excited for the uni girls to start hopping on the cock.
>>
>>1240281
Sure, but it depends on where you're going. You can look all this stuff up on your own. I don't even know what city you're planning on going to so it's hard to give a good estimate.
>>
>>1240248
When I came out of the Robot Restaurant (shit by the way, don't see it) I had an old Japanese woman ask if I like Japanese women in broken English. I was like "yeah they're cute :DDDDDD" and then she asked if I wanted to come with her and fuck some, then I realised she was a tout. She was in her 70s too, pretty weird.
>>
Thinking of doing a hitchhiking course

Miyazaki > Kagoshima > Kumamoto > Saga > Nagasaki > Saga > Oita

Anywhere between Saga and Oita I should stop? Any other suggestions?
>>
>>1240222
I wanna do it when Im older, not really interested now though.
>>
>>1240413
kek, I saw one like that yesterday.
>>
>>1240211
I'm going to try catch as many live acts as possible since jazz is close to non-existent in my country.

ill check out your recommendation.blue note is a given too
>>
>>1240247
Osaka Tobita Shinchi. Some will let you in if they start saying "Hello" to you or some sort of English. However, those that doesn't say it or show no interest in you, expect to be rejected by the girl and the store, specially if you are dark skinned.
>>
>>1238188
I have three weeks to travel anywhere I want in Japan. Any recommendations?
>>
Anyone hitchhike in Japan before?
>>
>>1240228
>Anywhere that'll you come into contact with tits will scrutinize your ID and test your Japanese before you're allowed in.

My experience at Yoshiwara was no ID checked until I actually chose a girl and time and showed that I had the cash to pay for it. Then cash was taken and passport checked. Japanese test happened pretty much when the tout brings you in. He starts with broken english and gradually goes to Japanese seeing when you get to the point you're no longer following. Some of the touts did outright ask me how my Japanese was though, but they were prepared to let me choose a girl regardless of my level at every place I went into.
>>
File: 22b.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
22b.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
I always wondered. Is that vast lake with the swan boats in Digimon Adventures based on a real place?
>>
>>1240540
Japan
>>
As a day trip from Tokyo, I want to go Hiking one day. I am currently tossed up between Mt. Nokogiri and Mt. Mitake. Has anybody done both or either of these and can weigh in on which one is better/good?
>>
I'm going to japan for 2 weeks for work, and while I'm fairly certain the company will set up and pay for the plane trip and hotel, I'm not sure what else they are going to do (set up a car ride or do I ride the train?) I can work out some of that stuff with them, but I'm almost 100% sure that I will have to pay for food myself and expense it later. The conversion rate is fairly easy, but i'm not sure what kind of food I'll be able to get, when I can get it, and how much it will cost. I'm either going to be in Tokyo or Nagoya. My plan is to bring enough cash for 2 weeks but i'm not sure how much to bring
>>
>>1240540
akohigara
>>
>>1240635
also, I may need to buy the cheapest tv possible that still has all the full seg DTV features. ALL OF THEM (sub channels, alternate video streams, audio stream selection, subtitle, superimpose, whatever else space aged dtv shit has). Actually don't really need one with internet connectivity/BML parser, thats an exception
>>
guys I planned on attending winter comiket (29-31 Dec 2017) I believe? On which day should I go? I want to buy doujinshi cds mainly, maybe anyone could help?
Thanks
>>
how far in advance should i plan for a trip to tokyo during the olympics
>>
If people could only go to Tokyo and one other city, where would they go? Ideally somewhere easily accessed by train or flight.
>>
>>1240658
O S A K A
S
A
K
A
>>
>>1240660
I don't doubt your integrity, but can you sell Kyoto to me?
>>
>>1240662
I mean Osaka
>>
>>1240660
Didn't much care for Osaka. It was just another big city. Hiroshima was nicer, or hell even Kyoto.
>>
>>1240658
Hiroshima for Miyajima and the peace park, also other stuff i guess, its a nice city
>>
>>1240664
Good food, friendly people, close proximity to good daytrips (Nara, Kyoto, etc.).
>>
>>1240391
>claims to have gotten into Todai
>even considering fucking Waseda

Waseda (and Keio) are big fucking memes. They're not even top 10 prestigious. They're just the most prestigious private universities in Japan which actually doesn't mean as much as one would think, because in reality the very most prestigious universities are among the "Imperial Universities" Including Todai, Kyodai, Osaka U, Tohoku, etc.

>5'3''
When will they ever fucking learn?
>>
>>1240575
anyone know? Or at least where these swan boats are? It's something that's always captured my imagination
>>
File: IMG_6421.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6421.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>1240683
swan boat is nit rare in Japan.
>>
>>1240658
Osaka hands down.
>>
>>1240642
Start planning now. I would suggest getting with a travel agent; Olympics are never an easy time to travel.
>>
>>1240642
Olympics are the worst time to go
>>
I want to go to Japan for a Honeymoon. We'll go, at the earliest, the beginning of July. Will the hot humid weather make it shitty to roam Tokyo and Osaka? I'm from the bay area where it's not humid at all but it does get hot.
>>
>>1238630
>implying you dont want to find some nip qt to marry
>>
>>1240635
>>1240640
one more thing, I know their drugs laws are strict, and I'm pretty sure they recently outlawed one thing I like (Kratom), but what about Ibuprofen? I don't know what those crazy Japs consider a "bad" drug and what isn't. Does it have to be in the original container? and what if the pills are plain in that case? How much trouble do I invite by taking Ibuprophen, Naproxen, and Doxylamine succinate (sleep aid)?
>>
>>1240577
Aye, never considered that, big man. Thanks.
>>
New bread >>1240799
>>
>>1240660
Im one of the contrarian shits who thinks Osaka is better than Tokyo.
>>
>>1240683
tokiwa park in ube is where i saw them
>>
What do you guys recommend to check out in Hokkaido in July? Is the Sapporo beer museum worth going to? I mainly want to see the sights (stuff like the lavender fields) and eat the food.
>>
was anyone here in osaka during hot summer weeks? I like to think it's a pretty chill city when it's warmer (especially warm and cozy nights)

I plan to visit Osaka for 2-3 weeks in 2-3 months, I want to "live" the city, not see it as a tourist, I don't care about tourist sites etc.,
I just wann to chill and experience the city, culture and atmosphere of Japan. What y'all think?
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.