[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it viable to travel the world doing freelance web dev?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

>>
File: BUH7BfW.jpg (149KB, 720x1022px) Image search: [Google]
BUH7BfW.jpg
149KB, 720x1022px
>>1237109
No
>>
>>1237114
because?
>>
>>1237109
I'm curious of the same too
>>
File: diversity.webm (988KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
diversity.webm
988KB, 320x240px
not anymore
>>
Why should it not be possible?

Just start with your freelancing and when you make enough money, go travel.

You could even travel the world if you can pull off some patreon shit that gives you a few hundred dollars a month.

Just live cheap in cheap parts of the world.

I am currently in the process of doing doing exactly that.
>>
>>1237409
what kind of patreon shit?
>>
>>1237109
>Is it viable to travel the world doing freelance web dev?
It is but it's not easy and it's beyond the reach of most people.

I more or less do exactly that.
The key criteria though, is that you need to have work coming in reliably, or you end up in some backwater with no income and a bank account rapidly approaching zero and when it hits it, you have to take your emergency cash out of your sock and fly home with no savings to show for several years work.

Now if you can have work coming in while you travel, fine. But if so, then you could have work coming in while you stayed home too so the question is: Can you do freelance web dev at home?

Working from a beach/hostel/whatever is harder than working from a home office and if you can't do the latter then you can't do the former.

I was already working from home when I started my travels, I already had the key clients. If I didn't, this wouldn't have worked and I'd have had to fly home and get a regular job as soon as my savings ran out, like every other backpacker.

Most people working IT can't negotiate telecommuting from home, so they can't do it from Thailand either. You need established relationships because otherwise you're competing with all the Philipino and Indian devs who want to do exactly the same thing and they work much, much cheaper than you and many of them are better educated than you. Look at all the Indian names on PHP and Webpack modules, those are all people trying to establish reputations and portfolios so that they can do freelance web dev for western companies. You don't have half their experience, web presence and portfolio, so you better have a relationship with your clients.

Once you can freelance in the same country and clients are happy with you and you have repeat business and word-of-mouth work coming in, you can think about the digital nomad life.
>>
>>1237409
>in the process

if you can't make money at home why do you think going to a country with shit net and more distractions help you?

Digital Nomad for the most part is a meme. About 100 people out of millions truly pull it off and the rest are just bums living off of savings and doing some £100 per month gig which pays for their internet.
>>
>>1237692
>begging online
>>
>>1237762
Do you have an actual source for that claim?
>>
>>1237762
Why do you think I am not making money at home already?

And even if I am not making money already, why do you assume that people can't build their skills to allow certain lifestyles?

You should really work on your attitude man. Life is much better for yes-sayers than for no-sayers.
>>
>>1237777
>Life is much better for yes-sayers than for no-sayers
I'm >>1237761 and you're wrong.

Optimists make huge fucking mistakes, pessimists know what can go wrong and cover their bases before making their move. When I went digital nomad, I knew the risks, I did all the ground work and there was basically no risk because I only changed one thing at a time. First working with clients that would keep me forever, then working from home, then working from overseas.

An optimist jumps in the deep end and has confidence that it will all work out, then they end up back home living with their parents and asking for some stake-money to cover their next stupid idea.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (32KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
32KB, 1280x720px
>>1237782

Well assuming you mix up the terms "idiot" and "optimist" your argment is viable.

Thinking about your actions before you act on them is not a question of being optimistic or pessimistic.

I wouldn't even call me an optimist but seeing the good in life works at least for me way better than the other way around.

And in times where everyone is scared of everything and thinks about everything all the time without acting on it, it would be better for most people to just do something even if that means that you make mistakes.

Even if you fail with your attempt on doing something - next time you will do it right.

And it is cool if your thing worked for you. But I made the experience that most peoples problems don't come from the lack of thinking but the lack of doing - at least in my personal environment.
>>
just seems like it would be compatable with vanlife style traveling assuming you could bring in at least 1000 each month which may seem optimistic
>>
>>1237846
>assuming you mix up the terms "idiot" and "optimist" your argment is viable
Aren't those two words for the same thing?

>>1237846
>it would be better for most people to just do something even if that means that you make mistakes
Having worked with a shitload of such people, no. Thinking before you do something is critical in IT, otherwise those people just get fired/dropped/not hired again and the people who don't fuck things up have to spend a while unfucking stuff before they can be productive again.

The last time my client hired somebody like that, they dragged an entire project down the drain with them because they thought that taking a chance on some new technology would be amazing and if they committed us to it then we would all just have to make it work somehow. I had to break it to them that their faddish technology didn't work the way they thought it did and before I could unfuck the project, the client decided it had cost too much money with no results and canned the whole thing, the new guy too.

Who dares, fucks everything up for everyone else.

Incremental change, thinking things through, careful research, having a plan. This is what gets shit done.
tl:dr; measure twice, cut once
>>
>>1237390
Man that made me sad
>>
>>1238204
Welcome to diversity
>>
>>1237390
did those fuckers get caught?
>>
>>1237782
pessimists are garbage tier

optimist+realist combo master race
>>
>>1237762
>About 100 people out of millions truly pull it off and the rest are just bums living off of savings
Oh no. It's that tedious bitter cunt again, the one that was once touched by a digital worker in a forbidden place. Six months later and you are still harping on.
>>
>>1238922
>black+white combo master race
Huh?
>>
>>1238987
they aren't black and white. you can be both. it depends on whether an optimistic future is realistic for you or not. if it isn't for you, then sorry bro
>>
>>1238982
>Oh no. It's that tedious bitter cunt again

Anon does seem a bit resentful but to be fair, they're not actually wrong.

We see these threads all the time and doing what they want is actually really, really hard. Only a small minority of tech workers who are at the top of a few specific games could possibly pull it off and most of the people asking aren't even tech workers in the first place.

So the "100 people out of millions", while an exaggeration, isn't far wrong and lets face it, we're all sick of these threads from naive idiots who think that "they'll get into web development" because they've heard it's cool. Whenever I meet a bunch of new expats, usually English teachers, I'll hear that one of them is thinking of getting into web development and would like some tips. It's just the IRL version of this thread.
>>
>>1238224
Of course not
>>
>>1238990
>...t the top of a few specific games could possibly pull it off
>It is close to impossible to sit at a computer and make a decent living in a cheaper country
than one's home country

So bitter... So deluded.

I meet people all the time that pull in 2K-4K, pay no tax, and spend half of what they would spend "at home". That is what I do, and I am constantly scaling up. If that is not a first step to "making it", then I don't know what is. Don't be so narrow minded.
>>
>>1237109

Only you know whether you're organized and good enough to manage this.

One thing to think about is this: you know how there are these perfect fucking days outside and you have to stay in and code all through them? Imagine that times 100 and people you meet will all be on vacation and partying while you're pumping away at your computer. If you have that sort of fortitude then go for it
>>
>>1237777
kek agrees

making money is easy
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.