[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Britfag here This year I want to take a road trip around art

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: usa.png (672KB, 1446x843px) Image search: [Google]
usa.png
672KB, 1446x843px
Britfag here

This year I want to take a road trip around art of the USA. My provisional route is in the pic.

1) Flights to Providence RI or Hartford CT are the same price. I don't know whether it is worth skipping Providence to save a few miles of driving and gain a day to spend elsewhere?

2) Any other suggestions on the route? I know that Scranton is an odd place to visit but The Office is my favourite show of all time so I can't go to PA and not visit! I did a road trip through the deep south last year and loved it despite people on 4chan criticising it; I prefer to see the 'real' USA than just go to all the tourist traps.

3) Rental cars from NY are twice the cost of CT or RI. I want to spend a few days in NYC, what should I do with the car? I was thinking about some cheap parking in Philadelpia then getting the train to NY. Or is it cheaper overall to pay for parking in NYC and skip the train?

4) I'm hoping to spend July 4th in the USA. Is there anywhere on the route that will be the best? I spent it in Anchorage last year and loved it.

Much appreciated
>>
>>1236526
>1
Yes, you can definitely do better.
>2
I think that might be pointless because it's just like going to Seattle as a Frasier fan and finding out it was filmed on a studio in Los Angeles...and it's not an interesting city on its own, either.
>3
I wouldn't bother getting a car in NYC at all. In all honesty, you don't really need a car for any of the cities you'll be visiting besides smaller places such as Scranton if you end up going there.

The Northeast is very well connected by trains and buses.
>4
The best spots would be Washington DC, New York City, Boston, and Philadelphia.
Although I don't personally care much for Philadelphia desu.

Overall I would say your driving route could be improved but I'm not sure if you have been to the USA before.

If you have never been here before, I would definitely recommend these cities:
>Boston, MA
>Portland, ME (day trip from Boston)
I would also reconsider Baltimore, but it really depends on what you enjoy. Overall it's a shitty, ghetto city, but it has some good history.

Also consider national parks as you plan your journey.
You might like Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.
>>
File: usa route.png (571KB, 1448x832px) Image search: [Google]
usa route.png
571KB, 1448x832px
>>1236528

Thanks for the reply!

>1
OK, I'm happy to start at Hartford then
>2
Yeah its filmed elsewhere and Scranton was chosen as the setting because of its overall 'nothingness'. Still, I figure it gives me a good mix of small-town USA and big cities.
>3
I enjoy the freedom of having a car. A 14 day rental from Hartford is $380. Exactly twice that in NYC. I've found parking for 3 nights is about $60 just outside Manhattan which must be less than a train. My only concern is with the actual drive into the city. Then again, I found Atlanta to be fine to drive through but heard terrible things.
>4
At this rate it looks like I'd be in NYC for July 4th.

Portland and Boston are on my list but not sure if I can fit them into the one trip without it all being too rushed. I'll look into it!

I'd probably just spend 1 night in Baltimore, then. It's somewhere semi-famous between DC and Philly.

I did a big trip around the South East last year, pic related
>>
>>1236526
Flying into Hartford is quite civilized. It's a suburban commuter kind of airport with a small terminal is highly inexpensive parking too. There are trains from New Haven into Grand Central all day everyday ~2hrs, so you might leave your car in CT downtown somewhere.

I can't even recall episodes of The Office where Scranton was featured. I can recall the outside of the office building, that's about it. I think the point of the show is that it could be anywhere kind of no name like that. There's some cuteness in New Hope PA, on your way into NJ.

There's some great coastal driving north of New York up from New Haven. I did a trip this past Autumn and enjoyed the lobster roll and other great food at Red 36 in Mystic CT (mystic has a pizzeria featured in a Julia Roberts early movie), and a comprehensive maritime museum with charters on some pretty cool historic boats in their collection.
https://www.mysticseaport.org/
New Haven has some great museums with unique collections as part of the university and some religious ones too. The original first made pizza in the US is there, Frank Pepe's.
http://www.pepespizzeria.com/
And, the first hamburger...in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olWEUGWbzPU

Well, the National Mall is a pretty fun fireworks, concert, and cannon salute. Plenty to do and room for everyone. Anything coastal in a city should have a great fireworks show visible over the water, and maybe you'd prefer getting out on a boat. Boston, NYC, Philly are all highly ranked and many viewpoints.
>>
File: usa2.png (425KB, 1104x860px) Image search: [Google]
usa2.png
425KB, 1104x860px
>>1236539

I think they've put the 'Welcome to Scranton' sign from the opening titles in the local mall! Has to be worth a look :)

I've modified the route slightly to take into account what you have both said so far. It now includes Boston and Portland, and goes through New Haven. Sorry for all the google maps screenshots.

Seeing as I'll be passing Rhode Island anyway I may as well fly into there. Though its six or two threes.

I know it *looks* like Scranton is well out of the way, if I remove it then I just end up doubling back on myself and hitting each major city twice. Mileage wise its not much of a detour and I'm only planning on spending one night there. The other option is a 1 way trip but there are extra costs associated with that.

Night 1: Providence. Recover from jet lag
Night 2-3: Portland
Night 4 -5: Boston
Night 6: Scranton
Night 7-8: Washington DC
Night 9: Baltimore
Night 10-11: Philadelphia
Night 12-13: NYC
Night 14: Providence

Its a bit tight. I could skip the night in Hartford but that makes it a 6 hour drive between Portland and
>>
>>1236547
I would say that is far too rushed. If I were you, I would skip Scranton, Baltimore, Providence, and Portland.

If you want to go to Scranton, skip at least Portland and Boston...I'm the same guy who recommended them, but you're better off staying in a smaller area and doing more sightseeing rather than driving.
>>
Have you considered flying out of a different airport than you come in from? That way you don't have to loop around and you can travel twice as far from your starting point, which is important when trying to see the 'real' USA.
>>
>>1236536
If you go this route, check out Riverside area in Jacksonville, or Artwalk if it happens to be the first Wednesday of the month.
>>
Hartford has a few old buildings and an art museum (if you're into such things). Scranton is boring af - I've been there. Not nasty, but nothing to do.
>>
File: 56542131.jpg (20KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
56542131.jpg
20KB, 400x300px
>>1236526
>Scranton
>Baltimore
>>
>>1236559

I can skip Baltimore; it's so close to DC that it sounds like its not worth the extra stop. Portland is also quite far out of the way so I could lose that and gain an extra 2 nights. Providence is only on the list because of where the airport is; I don't think I'd be able to manage an 8 hour flight followed by a long drive. I also don't want to fit a long drive in before my flight home, in case I hit traffic.

If I went straight from Boston to Washington its over 8 hours of driving. 1 night in Scranton will break that up. Honestly, I'd probably spend the day in Boston and get to Scranton in the evening, then leave early the next, so using it mostly for rest.

>>1236561

I had dismissed this because one way car rentals in Europe are extortionate. Though I just had a look and they may not be that bad in the USA. I'd have to check prices on flights too.
>>
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the time off work over 4th July, but I managed to get 15 nights in the first half of September.

My flight arrives and departs in Boston; I booked it asap because it was about the only good deal I could find at the time and didn't wanna miss it. $365 return :)

I'll be staying 3 nights in Boston and then picking up the rental car. I'll have a tiny bit more time than I first thought, so will probably do 3 nights in Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York, with 3 overnighters in other places.

>>1236539

Oh, and if I go past New Haven I'll definitely be trying out that Hamburger. If Adam Richman has been, I want to go!
>>
>driving through Pennsylvania
what are you doing m8. you are driving through one of the country's worst shitholes
>>
>>1236526

NYC fag here. On your way up I-95 you'll come across exits for the Outerbridge and Goethals bridges, both attempting to lure you to Brooklyn.

Do not do this. You will have to travel across Staten Island. I live here, and unless you want to experience literally driving in Fury Road, don't do it.

If you want to experience the GWB, by all means go ahead. Don't do it during rush hour. You've been warned.
>>
>>1236526
That second leg of the trip looks like pure AIDS

If you could get a flight out of a different airport you should look into going further south to some beaches in Virginia/NC or even all the way to Charleston and then fly out from there
>>
>>1236907

OK, noted, thanks!

I'll probably be staying near the junction between 44th Ave and 13th Street. I can get parking nearby for about $50 for 3 days. Looks like I'd take the Lincoln Tunnel and then The Queen's Midtown tunnel. Sound about right? I'll try and avoid rush hour.

I'll be doing this after a week or so of driving in America, so hopefully I'll have gotten comfortable with driving on the right. It only took a couple of days last time!

>>1236991

Afraid the flights are booked now, and about the only flights from the South to the UK are from Orlando. I did the drive from Orlando to Charleston last year.
>>
>>1236526
Alright bro i got you on Scranton. Lived there for four years.

Its true that there isn't much going for the city but thats what makes it fun. You can totally do one night as an office fan to say you did and have a good time.

Drink wise: backyard ale house, ale marys, the bog(hipster bar) are downtown and great. Would be walking distance from you hotel most likely. Also Jack's drafthouse up in the hills is low key/hipster with some great beers.

Hotel: i would stay at the raddison downtown. It used to be the old train station when scranton had money and is honestly gorgeous with some history involved.

Food: There is surprisingly so much good food. Mexican = chicanos. Pizza = Maroni's. Do either of these for dinner. Maroni's is a unique style of pizza. It is a little store in a neighborhood out of the way that doesn't deliver but holy shit is it good. Just go.

Office shit. Poor richards pub is a real pub. Attached to a 24 hour bowling ally. Maybe play a game and take a picture there? Also in the same complex is alfredo's pizza. Another picture spot i supposed (i would pass on the pizza doe). Lastly the electric city sign should be seen if you are a fan of the show. There are dunder aves and mifflin aves around, but those are just streets. Ill lurk so feel free to ask questions. Have fun!
>>
>>1237080

Thanks man, great post!

I'll be sure to go to Poor Richard's. Isn't Alfredo's pizza meant to be rubbish? I thought Alfredo's Pizza Cafe was better, both in terms of quality of ingredients and overall taste. :)

Am I right in thinking the 'Scranton Welcomes You' is in the Steamtown mall? I need my picture there.

Maroni's for pizza. Got it!

As for accomodation, I was planning on using Airbnb unless I can get a good deal on a hotel room. A man has to budget!
>>
>>1236590
Steamtown if you are a rail fan.
>>
>>1236526
Watch out for hot leat entering your body, go to Canada or Mexico instead
>>
>>1236804
What I'd do is stay 2-3 nights in boston, catch a bus down to NY, spend 2-3 nights there then bus/train down to philly, then again down to DC

I think you really only need 2 nights in DC 2bh. You won't go to every musuem or landmakr but theres always next time.

I'd then pick up a car from an airport at DC, get to the places you want to go away from the big cities, then drop it off, fly back to boston, then out

If you are going to hire car from boston, make sure you have a credit card. They don't accept debit cards, even if you've paid in advance.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-19-12-06-10.png (140KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-19-12-06-10.png
140KB, 540x960px
>>1236526
Look here man.
I work for enterprise rent a car. We own Alamo and national car rental as well.
Every year we have a promotion in Florida.

It's called the Florida drive out program.

We have this because during winter people from up north drive to Florida to go on cruises and they leave their cars here. We need to get them back out to other parts so we give them out for dirt cheap if you leave it in another state.

This is an example of a rental from MCO to DCA from May 1 - May 14

You can have unlimited miles too.
>>
>>1239223

That's awesome, I had no idea that existed but it would be a great way to get one way rental for cheap. Unfortunately it looks like it's only valid until the end of May but hey, it's something to look into for next year!

$35 per week is insane!
>>
Did not read the thread, just looked at the maps.
Fucking up this badly is my biggest fear when I go to other countries.
I know some will defend the east coast map and others might not have a problem with the south map but god fucking damn that vacation is gonna suck either way.
OP you need so much more research because you are not getting lucky at all so far.
>>
>Providence RI or Hartford CT
You could easily skip booth. If you're not doing anything else in New England, do not bother flying in this far North. The Hartford Airport is still about 40 minutes north of the City. The city itself is miserable, people live in West Hartford, but it's absolutely not worth stopping in. Providence is nothing to write home about.

2. >I know that Scranton is an odd place to visit but The Office is my favourite show of all time
I think you'll enjoy your visit there, then. If you're looking for a place better than Harrisburg, I suggest Bethlehem. Colonial Roots, Art Revival, Old Steel Factory (which you can walk next to), great Food. Main Street is beautiful, worth staying a night in. Harrisburg is very bleh, but driving out there is easy. Mostly farmlands, or very small towns. Not too interesting.

>4) I'm hoping to spend July 4th in the USA. Is there anywhere on the route that will be the best? I spent it in Anchorage last year and loved it.
This is funny but Baltimore.

>>1239380
I agree with you. I only new Bethlehem because I grew up there, but I've lived in Hartford, NJ, PA, and MD, and think this is going to be a really awful time for OP. It's like an acid wash of the same people and things only the ride never gets better. PA was my favorite state.
>>
Considering how patriotic Americans tend to be it always amuses me when some people start saying that certain places are terrible to go to. I could understand if I was planning on going into the arse end of nowhere, but seriously...? New York, Washington D.C., Philly? How about making suggestions for alternatives if they're gonna suck that bad. Oh and it might be worth letting every airline and travel agent know that NYC is now crap and its actually better to go to XYZville

Don't forget that this route will be done by car. I won't be walking for days through small-town PA. It will take a few hours.
>>
>>1239558
Most of the east coast sucks.
NYC is amazing but you cant really even keep a car there very easily.
DC is ok
Philly just sucks
Come out west anon and have a real road trip.
A road trip is not really an east coast thing that is a big part of the problem here.

Oh and the americans you meet that seen so patriotic are only defensive because when they travel everyone wants them to justify american polititcs
Its not fun.
>>
>>1236526
As a CT coast dweller I'd definitely recommend the coastal route displayed in that map. So many wonderful sites along the coast like Essex, as well as the city of New Haven, home of Yale campus and a very dynamic and diverse city. NYC is definitely a must-see, and while you could definitely skip New Jersey (what a dump), it's worth dealing with all the tolls and horrendous misuse of land and human resources to get from NYC to Philly. Philly is another great city to check out, I'd definitely recommend checking out the Gayborhood and South Street. But anyways, to answer your questions:

1) Start with Providence, or maybe even consider starting further north if possible, in Maine, Vermont, or New Hampshire (or even Boston/Massachusetts).

2) See above, maybe check out Easton-Weston-Redding area in CT, super wealthy, beautiful woodlands and colonial mansions. Check out the Meatpacking District in NYC, as well as the UN HQ. If you like the 'real' USA, check out some of the impoverished inner city communities and neighborhoods of cities along the way, such as New Haven, Bridgeport, NYC, Newark, and Baltimore.

3) Probably a better experience and possibly more affordable to go to Philly and do NYC by train. The train is a great experience, and you'd best try it soon while it's good before Trump pulls all of the rail system funding.

4) Perhaps Maryland would be a good choice. It's the location of lots of historical events, especially pertaining to the Civil War. Washington, DC would be a good place for July 4, but definitely check out Arlington National Cemetery, Antietam Battlefield, and some other national historical sites while you're in the area.
>>
>>1239638
Nothing like some horrid urban sprawl, self-infatuated hipsters, media-driven culture to make you enjoy a road trip, traveling a few miles over the course of thirty minutes in a smog filled hell-hole.
Road trips are for the West Coast my ass, you could do a road trip anywhere in the country you twat. I'm sorry you're so far up your own ass with regional pride you can't give OP any useful travel tips.
>>
>>1239680
>Nothing like some horrid urban sprawl, self-infatuated hipsters, media-driven culture to make you enjoy a road trip, traveling a few miles over the course of thirty minutes in a smog filled hell-hole.

You just described the east coast. The only thing missing are melanin enriched socio-economically disadvantaged gentlepeople.
>>
>>1239680
Did not say west coast anon.
I said west
Once you get off the east coast there is very little traffic.
I hail from out and the things I like to see on a road trip are national parks.
Also for me a road trip includes camping , something the east coast is not good at providing.
>>
>>1236528
I like Philadelphia more than Boston, personally
>>
>>1237053
So your NYC room is in Queens?
>>
>>1239638
I'm a New Yorker and I love Philly. DC is cool too.
>>
>>1240004
No, the East Coast has real urban cities, while California is mostly sprawl cities aside from SF.
>>
The interesting things in america are not in the cities.
>>
>>1240195
more niggers in philly

>>1236526
go north to stockbrigde mass to norman rockfell musmem
>>
>>1240232
I'm not an alt-right autist so I don't care about that. In fact, partying with black people on South Street was pretty fun.
>>
>>1240226
I appreciate nature, but that's really not true
>>
>>1240242
Most american cities are similar .
I cant think of one thing in any of them that compares to the grand canyon or Yosemite, big bend or joshua tree
>>
>>1240264
Not really, NYC, DC, Philly, New Orleans, LA, SF, Houston, Austin, etc. are quite different from each other
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.