[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UK thread I'm going to be visiting the UK for at minimum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

File: uk.jpg (7KB, 203x249px) Image search: [Google]
uk.jpg
7KB, 203x249px
UK thread

I'm going to be visiting the UK for at minimum 2 weeks. I have a healthy budget and want to see as much as I can.

What time of year to visit? Is October good?

Where to go? I'm interested in seeing the rural towns and country side as well. What big cities and small towns are must dos?

Getting around? Rent a car or train or some other option?

As an American, any culture tips or things I should do to prepare?

Stories always welcome
>>
>>1234933
If you want rural England, your best choices are the south West or Norfolk/Suffolk imo

For this tho you do need to a rent a car, English public transport is shit

You're American, so you're about 2 levels too loud. We don't appreciate comments about how we're 'quaint' or how you think having a queen is hilarious. We don't tip in pubs, only in restaurants.
>>
>>1234933
You don't need a car. If you have a healthy budget use the train. Villages that aren't on the tourist map are shit. Have a look at the BBC series "This Town" and you'll see. For small, picturesque cities visit Bath and Oxford.
>>
>>1234998
Sorry the series is called "This Country"
>>
>>1234972
>You're American, so you're about 2 levels too loud.
I'm probably 4 levels too loud, but I'll try to wrap that up and let others drive the conversation. Thanks for these very specific tips.

>>1234998
>>1234999
I like to see at least a bit of what a place is really like, even if it's shit. I don't want an over romanticized view of the places I visit. Is there any chance to see these kind of places if traveling by train?

Started watching "This Country", reminds me of Missouri.
>>
It's not advertised very well here in the US, but the UK is a Mecca for old timey steam railroads. Per my own research, the UK has a bit more operable steam locomotives than the entire US...all scrunched together in an area the size of Alabama. Suffice it so say, Brits are mad about steam locomotives (probably because they were the ones who invented them).

Some notable British Steam Railways:
Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways (Wales). These two lines are run by the same company and combined, it's the longest heritage line in the UK. Extremely impressive operation, even though they use tiny narrow gauge trains.
Great Central Railway (England). Only heritage line in the UK that's double tracked and a former main line, allowing you to see steam trains pass each other at speed like they would have a century ago.
Bluebell Railway (England)
Severn Valley Railway (England)
East Lancashire Railway (England)
Tanfield Railway (England)
Bodmin & Wenford Railway (England)
Watercress Line (England)
Kent & East Sussex Railway (England)
Foxfield Railway (England)
North Yorkshire Moors Railway (England)

Those are my Top 10 anyway and you will have a satisfactory time at any of them.
>>
>>1235248
>Brits are mad about steam locomotives
Sounds like you are too. This post is getting me excited to ride a train across the UK.

Are trains something I can improvise with, or do I need to book all my train rides before I arrive?
>>
>>1235269
Yes, I love steam trains, too.

Most of the historic steam trains are on their own separate lines not part of the national network taking you from place to place. There are some steam trains that run on the national network, bu they don't operate regularly on the same routes and probably cost an arm and a leg. Best stick with the heritage lines.

Also, for regular everyday train service for transportation, you can probably get away with winging it. The most popular routes have multiple trains per day.
>>
>>1235286
Thanks for your help

Should have asked this in the OP. I've only done a hostel once in NYC, anything I should know about hostels in the UK? Should I book ahead of time?
>>
>>1235318
Most London hostels are really shit I must warn you, possibly worth getting a single room when there.
>>
File: Tornado on GWR Dawlish.jpg (184KB, 959x632px) Image search: [Google]
Tornado on GWR Dawlish.jpg
184KB, 959x632px
>>1234972
Seconding your vote for the Westcountry / Southwest. Bristol and Bath are both nice places, and if Anon wants to ride the trains, there's a sleeper to and from Cornwall, and Brunel's GWR is one of the most scenic mainline routes. There are some decent beaches as well, and enough touristy rural stuff to take some time to visit. One of the few areas of England that won't make you go home hating the country.
>>
im flying to london to visit someboby, ill have a few free days, what are some nice (not popular) places to visit? google shows only the usual stuff
>>
>>1234972
>If you want rural England, your best choices are the south West or Norfolk/Suffolk imo
*cough* Yorkshire
>>
>>1235471
it always rains there. Always. Plus it's hundreds of miles from civilisation.
>>
>>1235269
Booking a couple of weeks in advance will give you far lower prices (£5 instead of £35 for some routes, for example). But like the other anon said, you can just walk into the station and get onto the next train. Be prepared to pay more, though.

>>1235318
In the UK, I've only been in hostels in London, Nottingham and Manchester.
London: I stayed in the Astor Museum one (pretty cheap, breakfast was oh-kay).
Nottingham: Igloo something something. Great place. I stayed there for a week to find an apartment, and one of the hostel owners actually set me up with a couple of his friends. Still living with them, great outcome.
Manchester: Hatters. Shit. I stayed in the one of Newton Street. Apparently the other one they have is even worse.
>>
File: IMG_20170410_145530.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170410_145530.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1235475
>always rains there
My back garden disagrees with you :^)
But yeah the rain you just have to deal with.
Same deal with the lake District but it's still worth visiting
>>
>>1235329
How so? As in the rooms or thr people? Can anyone second this?
>>
File: Sally James.jpg (72KB, 720x559px) Image search: [Google]
Sally James.jpg
72KB, 720x559px
>>1235508
>>1235508
Book somewhere like a Premier Inn or Travelodge, M8. You'll get an acceptable room with a comfy bed and your own bathroom. Book 4 weeks in advance and usually the prices aren't usually horrendous, even for London.
>>
>>1235171

This Country is great, literally knew a version of every character in the programme.
Mate come to the south west, its the best part of the UK, fuck everywhere else.
>>
>>1234933

I agree with SW England

Bath
Salisbury
Wells (Hot Fuzz was filmed here)

Try to visit a town on Market Day

In the North you have Yorkshire, Cumbria, shitloads

From Weymouth or Poole, do a day trip to Guernsey. Easily navigable on foot, there are buses which go around the coast in a circle. Return ferry only costs about $40.

The Channel Islands are a unique blend of England & France and there is recent Nazi occupation history/museums. Jersey could not be done in a day since it is further away from England.
>>
File: oxlogo.jpg (8KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
oxlogo.jpg
8KB, 220x220px
You HAVE to visit Oxford or Cambridge.

I slightly prefer Cambridge, but Oxford has better transport links from London - your choice.
>>
>>1235686
Interesting. Why though? What can I expect and why should I be excited?
>>
>>1235663
Southwest is being very strongly recommended in this thread. I will definitely check it out.

Should I visit Wales? If so, where and what can I expect?
>>
Not OP, but I've always wanted to see the isles of Scilly. They seem a bit out of the way to do just as an aside to a whole trip though. Are they worth seeing? What are the people like?
>>
>>1234933
Top tip for coming to the UK - don't.
But if you must go to Cornwall and Bris.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (39KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
39KB, 624x351px
>>1235701
If you have go to Wales, be selective. There are some beautiful parts, and some significantly less attractive bits. Avoid Newport, The Valleys, the Northern, Scouser-infested coastal "resorts", and do visit Pembrokeshire / Dyfed, Ceredigion, Snowdonia and any of Mid-Wales. Even Cardiff is slowly becoming tolerable.
>>
File: Tresco.jpg (140KB, 634x487px) Image search: [Google]
Tresco.jpg
140KB, 634x487px
>>1235738
Tresco alone is worth a couple of days. There's fuck all to do except find a nice spot of beach, wander the beautiful Abbey Gardens, and have a few pints in the pub, but for unwinding it's spot on. You won't believe you're somewhere that's part of the British Isles. It's not cheap to stay anywhere out there, demand for the limited amount of rooms is high, but it is worth it. Sadly, the flights by Chinook helicopter are no longer available - it used to be one of my favourite bits of transport.
>>
Hey OP, I'm new here to the U.K. for military work, I took a drive to Cornwall (Im actually in Norfolk but it's boring here, similar to Oklahoma but more trees.) It's southwest, went for a religious procession, but it passes through some of the best we have to offer here. Even getting lost and diverted to a """two way""" country road wasn't bad, I just followed it to the middle of nowhere and watched the sun set.

>Men an Tol stone, with the pagan folklore up til recent times
>Titangel castle, with King Arthur legends
>Glastonbury, which is a big mystery in itself and a pilgrimage site for pagans
>All sorts of old earthworks
>Amazing sand dunes
>St Perrans Oratory which has just recently been excavated, and a Celtic cross up on the hill
>Slow rolling hills to decent mountains in some places
>St Michaels Mount (Cornish version)

Maybe I could show you around if you aren't scared of hanging out with a stranger you met on 4chan. Either way, hope you enjoy your stay here
>>
>>1235799
>two way country road

lel I bet you got a bit of culture shock looking at how wide the roads in the US are
>>
>>1235701
If you like outdoorsy stuff Snowdonia and Anglesey are lovely. This is a pretty fun activity https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/detail/velocity
Newbrough beach/Llanddwyn island on Anglesey is very beautiful
>>
>>1234933
Visit in summer. Weather is slightly less likely to be shit.
>>
>>1234933
If you are visiting London and using trains you should also take the Eurotunnel to Paris.
>>
>>1235689
Cambridge was a really lovely experience. It gelt pretty walkable with decent public transport (compared to my home). It has fantastic museums (natural history and the botanical gardens for example, as well as a few we just stumbled into. While its a great destination, it didnt feel particularly touristy. The colleges lend weight to the history of the city and a certain degree (both in just students make a city weird and also you might see dudes in harry potter robes due to formal events).
>>
>>1234933
There's not much culture difference. We're basically America but we say the opposite of what we mean to be polite and don't like loud people.

If you want to see the countryside you should rent a car, a train will not take you to most small places and they are always delayed or cancelled.
>>
>>1235799
I've met lots of strangers on 4chan and worse places. [email protected].
>>
Nobody has said a thing about Scotland. Why's that? Cool place? Places to go? Things to do or see?
>>
>>1237276
Scotland and north wales are more outdoorsy to visit

go in summer or don't bother
>>
>>1234933

Good choice, OP. 2 weeks is plenty of time to see most of the UK.

As mentioned before; Bristol is supposed to be great. I've never been myself but have heard only good things. Oxford/Cambridge are both nice, they are probably the most stereotypically English towns. Old buildings, posh universities etc.

Make sure you stop in various country pubs in small villages. Going to the pub is our main past time.

Obviously see London but don't get too bogged down with everything you can do there. I like London for about a day and then I'm pleased to be out, but then I'm more of a countryside person anyway. London is also becoming less English IMO, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But those who have only seen London have not seen the UK.

We have some national parks. Nothing in comparison to Yosemite or anything, but I'd check out the Lake District. There's a miniature steam railway near the West coast called the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway which is cute. The countryside in the Lake District is very pretty, and green. The hills barely reach 3000ft but to us they're mountains.

Scotland and Wales should also be visited. They're as close as you'll get to different 'States'. Edinburgh is a beautiful city and easy to reach. I haven't spent much time in Wales but I have Welsh friends and they adore the place.

As for transportation, we have incredible public transport in comparison to most of America, although it is poor compared to the rest of Europe. That said, a car is almost a must if you wish to venture outside the towns, which I suggest you do. The rental cars are manual (stick shift) by default, expect to pay extra for an auto. Or just, you know, learn to drive properly. Don't forget to drive on the left!

I've done a bit of travelling in America and costs are very similar, except petrol is way more expensive. Sales tax is included in the sticker price, so what you see is what you pay.

P.S. Bring a waterproof coat!
>>
>>1235799
Hey not OP but I'll be in the uk for a couple of weeks later this month and the next. I'd love to see the country and hang out too
>>
I'd recommend the Dedham vale (Constable country) to anyone visiting. It's located around the Essex/Suffolk border, it has amazing countryside and very pretty little towns and villages with lovely pubs and views. Under an hour on the train from London or Norwich (but don't travel to/from London on the weekend with this area because of crossrail engineering works).
>>
>>1238090
>but don't travel to/from London on the weekend with this area because of crossrail engineering works
What do you mean by "because of crossrail engineering works"?
>>
The big cities other than London and Edinburgh are a bit shit OP. Don't bother with Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield etc. Also, London is very expensive, or at least the nice bits are.

Don't do October, do August or September.
>>
>>1238521

Crossrail is a new underground train line running east to west under London, giving huge new areas faster access to the centre. It's the biggest engineering project in Europe and scheduled to open soon.
>>
I can recommend Stratford on Avon and the Globe Theatre in London if you're into Shakespeare.

Winchester, Norwich, York and Shrewsbury also all nice.
>>
>>1238531
this, but it seems a bit of a waste to me
>>
>>1238552
Waste for the ticket or waste for the government?
>>
>>1238959
for the government, at a time when they're cutting spending for the poorest in society

vote labour
>>
>>1238979
Not going to get into a debate here, but Labour are more for Crossrail than anyone else.
Labour have a hard-on for rail travel, they actually want to replicate CrossRail in the North.

As for OP, train will get you to pretty much anywhere you need to go. Renting a car will be a pain in the ass since you're not used to European traffic laws (EU/UK Traffic laws are generally the same, bar the fact that people drive on the left in the UK). Besides, the traffic will make you want to die. Go by train, it's the safest option.
>>
>>1238996
I'd like to see the rural areas and small towns. Not sure how possible that is if I take train exclusively. I'm thinking taking a car around the southwest of England at least.
>>
>>1239003
If you're confident driving in small country lanes, which could be a big culture shock for an American, i'd say go for it! Just be prepared to research the prices for hiring a car, i'm not entirely sure what the license requirements are. I know it's lax for EU citizens, but i'm not sure about Americans.
The UK rail network is something to take advantage of, we criticise it quite alot here for its lack of punctuality, especially for city commuters. But to be honest, every part of this country is basically accessible by train.
>>
>>1239003
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/OfficialNationalRailmaplarge.pdf
As you can see, this is basically every major station in the UK. Not all stations are shown, because the map would be ridiculously convulated. But you can see that the entire country is linked by rail, and if you can't get to it by train, going to the nearest station and getting a bus/taxi is only going to add at best, 20 minutes.
>>
>>1239005

Country lanes are the best British roads. You can legally do 60 on most of them and if you have a car that accelerates quickly you'll be easily be able to get to that speed after a bend or having overtaken a tractor/slower moving car. There is no better feeling on a summer's day than zooming about rural roads under the shade of trees with the wind in your hair.
>>
>>1239003

Car is the best option for around here, there's lots of walking spots that are far from train stations and would be a real nuisance to get a taxi to. If anyone wants any recommendations for somerset and Dorset I'll be happy to list places, shops, pubs etc that I have enjoyed as well as local festivals and markets coming up soon.
>>
Whats the best winter related activities that don't include skiing. I'm going to be there late november into early january.

What about New years eve, what are a few good towns for it which aren't london?
>>
>>1234972
>English public transport is shit
Christ, absolutely not if you're comparing it to places like America. I'd still recommend the car though.
>>
>>1239188
This. It's pretty overpriced compared to other European countries but you can get to most great places via train with few stops.
>>
>>1234933
October is a terrible time to visit the UK.

I did a hosteling tour of all of England in 2015 and I essentially just cut it short and went home when the early nights started kicking in. Although to be fair I was going South to North.

Anywhere further North than Liverpool will start shutting down at 4pm coming into Autumn.

Trains are good but especially in England they're expensive unless you book well in advance. An app/site called Trainline is your lifeline.

London is worth doing because it's so culturally important and there's lots of great sites and museums but personally I prefer Glasgow and Edinburgh. Bristol and the South West in general are really good too.

Hostels even in London are OK.
>>
Oh and you can get around really cheap using Coaches and buses.

Not necessarily a pleasant experience but getting up or down the country for £20 is it's own reward.
>>
>>1235686
Im gonna be that guy and instead suggest you go to Oxford over Cambridge. Why? Because Oxford has things to do besides being a university, more restaurants, things in town, poeple around, things that aren't 100% student focused, has humans in town when the undergrads aren't there, etc. Also it is closer to some of the previous suggestions for south west England.
>>
>>1239515
>Anywhere further North than Liverpool will start shutting down at 4pm coming into Autumn.

Simply not true
>>
>>1239006
Thanks. This image gives me a lot more confidence taking the train.

Compare to this map of Amtrak in America.
https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/948/674/System0211_101web,0.pdf
>>
File: water.png (1MB, 1171x877px) Image search: [Google]
water.png
1MB, 1171x877px
>>1239006
>>1239657
>>1239066
And now you have me changing my mind yet again!
>>
>>1239515
>October is a terrible time to visit the UK.
This is my other concern. I can go anytime of year.

Should I go in spring or summer? Will there be lots of tourists and will things be more expensive?

Does the UK have fall foliage like New England? Are the college towns anything like college towns in America?

I don't mind the cold, and have rarely seen snow, is winter crazy to do? See also >>1239146.
>>
>>1239666

Summer is best because of the long delight hours and attractions being open, as well as better weather.
Mid to late spring is usually alright with good flowers, and autumn is often comfy and yes we do have beautiful foliage, the problem is once the clocks go back, usually stuff starts shutting early or for the winter.
I would say mid April to end of October. Best months are may to September.
>>
File: 11_Shire_Hall_Lancaster_Castle.jpg (485KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
11_Shire_Hall_Lancaster_Castle.jpg
485KB, 3000x2250px
Just gonna throw in my bit.
Northerner living in preston.

Lancaster is beautiful and well worth an afternoon's walk, especially if you can get into the castle.
Even though it's a huge tourist trap, Blackpool lights are worth a couple hours one evening if you're in the north anyway. But don't go out your way to see it.
The Forest of Bowland can be quite picturesque but be prepared for nothing but small villages with nothing in them.
The Lake district is also know across the UK for being particularly beautiful, but it's often ruined by bad weather. Scafell pike can be climbed in a day if you get chance.
>>
UK lads, is there much chance of being able to net an entry level job in a museum? That's where I've been working in Aus but I'm acutely aware that my position is probably only paid because it's hundreds of kilometres away from anywhere and with the dense population all similar positions are probably full of retiree volunteers. That said I have got a decent set of experience.
>>
>>1239803

Not worth it, we have more old people than young and they easily afford being unpaid volunteers. The few paid jobs are highly competitive and tend to be long term so don't even come up for grabs often.
>>
>>1239814
Disappointing, can't say it's not expected though. I'll plug away for a couple more seasons until I get lab or supervisory experience in an official capacity.
>>
>>1239666
The best time for Northern parts of the UK is May, June, July in my opinion.

I'm in Northern Ireland and that's our summer essentially.

August in the UK tends to be much more balmy and humid by our local standards (which is otherwise tame humidity ofc).

I've travelled the UK in October for martial art competitions so they were really touristy trips but unless you want cosey days and nights of the same hostel regulars playing Xbox. I'd avoid going late in the year or the winter.

>>1239803
I would be very surprised if there was anything higher than literally Zero percent chance unless you've a prestigious education in the field and even then most places are manned for the most part by unpaid volunteers.

Pressure to go to University and the ease of getting on courses has made jobs like that and Librarians absurdly competitive.

That said that doesn't account for the kids in the gift shop and ticket sellers. That's not so hard to get into and there is ALOT of historic sites in the UK so you might as well try.
>>
>>1239913
weren't really touristy trips*
>>
I'm going to be in Cornwall for a few months. I'll be working so I won't have to kill that much time but anyone have any recommendations on things to do/see there.
>>
>>1239928

I am going to cornwall for a weeks holiday in st ives in may, ill let you know anything decent i run into.
>>
>>1239666

It's not so much the cold, which I don't mind, it's the fact that it gets dark really really in the autumn and winter months.
>>
>>1239989

The second really should be an early.

Typing on a phone.
>>
>>1235738
worked on Tresco abbey gardens for bit, the weather is the best in the winter you can get in the uk. January February are pretty windy with gales common. In the spring/summer the weather isn't as warm as the mainland. Clearest water in the UK good for diving, sailing any water sports really apart from surfing. Get the ferry or lands end airport (which operates all year round). People are bloody nice and remind you of rural england x2. Puffins are there some of the year and you can see the best star display at night
>>
>>1235775
They are bringing back the helipad on tresco bro!
>>
i'm going to be in Liverpool onwednesday, anything i should see/do?
Figured if i'm paying to get there i may as well spend the day exploring
>>
>>1240625
There's a U Boat in Birkenhead.

Pretty neat if you're into WW2.
>>
>>1234972
>english public transport is shit

Have you never been within the m25?

London LITERALLY has the best public transport in the world.
>>
>>1240852
Tfl is good, but everytime I have to get on the tube, I want to buy new lungs, too. Those fumes are no joke. I wish the overground took over.
And I wish trucks and co wouldn't be allowed in Central London, the air quality fucking sucks.
>>
>>1234972
>English public transport is shit

Lol, try living in the U.S.

I live in Philadelphia and they've been talking about moving to a fare card for years; they've finally got it up this year but only at like three subway stations. I'm still using tokens like a caveman.
>>
>>1240937
Pray to Elon Musk, Tesla, SolarCity, and the disciples of Graphene and our cities might just get back to being liveable places. I'm no hippy but fuck fossil fuels - they just make you feel shit.
>>
>>1240998
Last time I went to Starbucks (few months back), I had two competing hyperloop teams(?) companies(?) doing some sort of networking at the table next to me, I felt like I was in the office of Elon or something.
I feel you re fossils fuels.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.