[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips for train travel in the US? Gonna be moving to Maine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Bangor_Maine.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Bangor_Maine.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Any tips for train travel in the US?
Gonna be moving to Maine soon, got my housing and work sorted out but I don't really know what to expect from taking the train. Anything I should know about ahead of time, etiquette, etc?
>>
>>1233589
Are you the same guy who has been asking about maine?
>>
>>1233589
>Anything I should know about ahead of time, etiquette, etc?
leave your katana at home, bring cash for the crab leg bar, and wash up for the penis inspection.
>>
>>1233589
There aren't nearly as many trains as there are in Europe/Asia.

Know your route before you go.
>>
>>1233589
The usual stuff, don't play loud music or annoying games, use earphones, keep the volume low. Keep your light low if travelling by night. Tip the bag handlers $1 -$2 per bag. Find the conductor and tip the conductor about $.05 - $.08 per mile, don't bust out change for this obviously, round it to paper amounts. You don't want to look like a total newb. How many states are you travelling through? You'll want to make sure you've got all your travel permits in order. Some of the rural states can take up to 3 weeks to get a travel visa. And your passport must be valid for at least 3 months in the future.
>>
File: lobster-roll.jpg (184KB, 1242x1529px) Image search: [Google]
lobster-roll.jpg
184KB, 1242x1529px
>>1233589
>Gonna be moving to Maine soon
>Anything I should know
>>
>>1233589
Always take the sleeper car, being stuck with the proles in coach is potentially dangerous (as in you might get TB)
>>
>>1233753
I'm not sure if you're memeing or actually retarded. You never tip someone you'll never see again.
>>
>>1233589
Expect your train to be late.
>>
It's really hard to justify long distance train travel in the US unless you want to stare at the world as it rolls by. Sleepers are far more expensive than equivalent flights. Non-sleeper overnight trains are worse than death, and probably still more than a cheap flight.
>>
>>1233989
Seconding this, my cousin caught TB on the Downeaster to Boston about 10 years ago. It responded to medication but I've heard that drug-resistant TB is more and more common among Amtrak passengers.

You'll be expected to share any alcohol you have with fellow passengers, and a bottle of whiskey or fortified wine will be appreciated.

Remember to tip the porter generously so he will keep an eye on your luggage during the night. Things have a tendency to go missing during the 4-5 hours that the train spends crossing over the New Hampshire badlands.
>>
>>1234460
Jesus Christ this sounds like travelling in buttfuck nowhere Russia by train
>>
File: 2074.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2074.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1233589
ayy lifetime mainer here.

any specific questions bro?

most people's comments here are pretty absurd desu...

pic is where i live
>>
>>1233589
I did a cross country trip last year on Amtrak, Tacoma- Sacramento- Chicago- Cincinnati (family) and back Via the northern route to Seattle. Coach the whole way.

Firstly, cleanliness and professionalism varies greatly between crews. The ride from Sacramento to Grand Junction was probably one of the worst travel experiences ive had in the US.

Second: everything is expensive, bring your own food if possible.

Finally, if you travel on tracks west of the Mississippi, expect to be delayed, sometimes by hours. Bonus if you like watching trains go by, get to see loads of then passing you.
>>
>>1234498
Whats some local customs?
If you know about it, does Bangor have much to know?

>>1233753
I thought you didn't need a passport for train travel
>>
File: 058.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
058.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1235616
there really arent many customs to be aware of, im not sure where youre from but if youre not from the usa most people will just help you along your way 99% of the time here, if you are from the usa im not sure whyd you ask the question :P

bangor is one maines largest cities. its right next to maines largest public university: umaine orono

it also has a decent music festival each year, and you are about an hour and a half from a dozen coastal destinations.

owning a car in maine is pretty important unless you end up meeting someone who can drive you to cool places, within bangor itself though youd be okay with a bike but it might kinda suck. you can get cheap cars in maine and cheap mechanic rates like nowhere else (be prepared to troll craigslist for awhile and read alot of things like 'runs good new brakes but transmission bust need some work 2k obo' etc
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.