[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get a quick rundown on Mexico City? Things to do, things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: mexico city.jpg (407KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
mexico city.jpg
407KB, 1200x800px
Can I get a quick rundown on Mexico City?

Things to do, things to avoid? Going for Cinco de Mayo, have a place in the city to stay with a buddy who lives there and speaks fluent Spanish.
>>
Cinco de Mayo is a bigger deal in the US than Mexico. They have some pretty cool museums. If you have time make the trip out of the city to go see the pyramids. Also eat as much as you can, you will not find better Mexican food anywhere else.
>>
>>1233325

I'm not a drinker and I'd much prefer to see the more traditional side of Cinco de Mayo. Pyramids are on the list. So is a shit-ton of good grub, thanks for the suggestions m8
>>
If you wanna see the more traditional side of Cinco de Mayo you'd have to make your way to Puebla. Also the Paso de Cortes is cool if you're into nature and wanna check out the two big volcanoes. I've been to Mexico City more times than I can count and every time I go I discover something new. I'll be there again in July and am planning on visiting the Frida Khalo house for the first time.
>>
>>1233318
xochimilco my friend. Its mexico's version of gondolas. Like 10~15 bucks an hr but you can bring all your own food/drinks. Food is all good down there.
>>
>>1233337

Nice! Good idea. That'll make for some nice photos on the water too.

>>1233333

I do like lava. I oughta do the Frida Khalo house as well, I'm big on the art scene. Puebla is considered if I can get out there.
>>
>>1233354
Xochimilco is weird and sort of touristy (although most tourists are from other parts of Mexico), but also charming.

If you make it to the Kahlo house, in Coyoacán, the Leon Trotsky house museum is very nearby and interesting (He was quasi-adopted by Kahlo and Rivera, both of whom were Communists, and probably slept with Frida.)
>>
>>1233328
>traditional side of Cinco de Mayo
We don't care about 5 de mayo. Don't expect to see any major celebrations.
>>
File: thonk.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
thonk.png
7KB, 112x112px
>>1233497
Good to know.

>>1233423
I'll have my Mexican buddy with me, so I think we can probably roll out that way. Pretty sure he has some wheels.
>>
Question - how expensive is food?
>>
Here is a fact I, as an ignorant American learned today. Did you know Mexico City and Metropolitan area is larger than NYC? But i never really considered it a world city, or even know of many Americans with any interest to travel there.

Is Mexico City a popular travel destination for other nationalities?
>>
>>1233626
You don't need a car, really--both the Kahlo and Trotsky museums are walkable from the Coyoacán metro stop.

People like to freak out about the Mexico City subway, but it's a great system, very cheap and pretty extensive. Avoid the most crowded cars, watch for pickpockets, and you're good to go.
>>
>>1233815
Mexico City has been on the World's Biggest Cities lists for decades--it's up there with Shanghai as a contender for world's biggest.

I feel like it doesn't get a lot of American tourists because people are scared of it--bad reputation for crime, taxi robberies/kidnappings, etc. I was a little apprehensive when I first visited. But I was careful, had a great experience, and never felt unsafe. (Crime also isn't as bad as it used to be.)

It's smoggy and has pretty terrible traffic problems, but it's a world-class city. If you don't like cities, you won't like it. But if metropolitan areas appeal to you it has a ton to offer. I'd like to try living there, personally.
>>
>>1233822
How is smog compared to San Diego, LA, or Bangkok. Those are my personal references for smoggy cities.
>>
>>1233830
Air quality is similar to or a little worse than LA, a little better than Bangkok (probably because it isn't all that hot).
>>
>>1233882
thanks, anon. Mexico City has moved up my list. Does Mexico have cheap easy travel? Like
i could easily be in MC for a few days hem cheaply get to a resort town or somewhere else?
>>
>>1233892
>Does Mexico have cheap easy travel? Like
>i could easily be in MC for a few days hem cheaply get to a resort town or somewhere else?
There are low-cost airfares available, yeah. It's a fairly big country, so overland travel isn't that fast.
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (9KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
9KB, 318x159px
How much do you think you need to earn a month to live a comfortable life in Mexico City? 700 US dollars a month?

Im moving to Mexico to teach english this summer and i want to know how much money i need to be making.
>>
>>1233909
>How much do you think you need to earn a month to live a comfortable life in Mexico City? 700 US dollars a month?
I've never lived in Mexico City, so I'm not the best qualified to answer, but that seems low to me. As a casual visitor, not especially budget conscious, I had the impression that things were about 75% the cost of things where I live (the Bay Area of California, so it's worth noting that it's one of the most expensive parts of the country). Some things are cheap--metro fares (as noted above), street food, beer, markets--but value-added goods and anything imported are not that cheap. And I have no idea about rent.
>>
If you want to enjoy cinco de mayo, go to puebla - it's a two hour trip from mexico city, and it's about the only place if mexico that gives a damn about the date (for obvious reasons).
>>
>>1233806
Cheap as fuck and so fucking good. You can walk down just about any random street and find amazing food at some dinky little stand.
>>
I just went to mexico city a week ago. Ask me stuff.
I stayed in centro histórico and condesa
>>
>>1233913
>>1233909

This, 700 is quite low for Mexico City. You can do it - hell a huge part of the city is basically slums - but you won't live at anywhere approaching a normal western standard.

If you have the choice, Oaxaca City is a really cool spot that's dramatically cheaper than Mexico City. A bit nicer, more tranquil, and amazing food too- only downside is the girls don't compare.
>>
>>1233942
Oaxaca is indeed great. A lot smaller. But clean and artsy. Well-preserved historical center. Some of the best food in Mexico. Lots of expats, mostly bohemian types. Cute little beach town in Puerto Escondido is about an hour away by teensy plane, or a few hours by bus.
>>
>>1233942
>>1233953

Interesting, thanks for the recommendations. Using Mexico as a standard to try and figure out how much my salary should be to live there. I bet 700$ would be good anywhere else in the country besides major city centers.
>>
>>1233953

Are the women still fine in Oaxaca? Really looking forward to dating some Mexican women to practice and get fluent in Spanish.
>>
>>1233963
disregard this question, there are hot latinas everywhere in that country.
>>
>>1233963
Oaxaca is a small city in a state that is pretty rural, poor, and indigenous. So local women are more likely to look like Olmecs than Latinas of German or Lebanese descent. But there are good looking people everywhere.
>>
is taking $3k USD to mexico city for about 3-4 weeks enough?
I plan on going maybe this summer for the first time. I plan on staying in hostels, eating at cheap places with good food etc. Thanks in advance for responses
>>
>>1233963
>Are the women still fine in Oaxaca?

I'm here now, it's 100x harder to find a decent girl here vs. CDMX. When I'm in CDMX Tinder is a buffet, there's always some cute girl that I can go out with any night that I have the energy for it. And it's not usually all that hard to bring them home after a couple dates at most.

In Oaxaca it took me a week to find someone that I was really into, and I haven't run across anyone else interesting since. The ratio of foreigners vs. genuinely cute girls that are interested in dating foreigners is pretty bad relative to other cities in Mexico. And there's practically no one using dating apps.
>>
>>1233961
I live in mexico city, you can rent a bedroom at a shared apartment in the fanciest areas for like 300 bucks. 700 dollars is rather low, I make like 1100 after tax and i don't especially live in luxury.
>>
>>1233333
>. I'll be there again in July and am planning on visiting the Frida Khalo house for the first time.
Do your obligatory San Angel Inn visit while in the neighborhood.
>>
>>1233984
3k usd is more than enough for a month in mexico city. You dont even need to eat in cheap places.

If you come by be sure to visit Coyoacan, and hipster places like Roma or Condesa
>>
>>1234291
>>1234291
>>>1233984 (You)
>3k usd is more than enough for a month in mexico city. You dont even need to eat in cheap places.
Fuck yea man thanks. Plus flights from where I am (DFW) are pretty cheap.
>If you come by be sure to visit Coyoacan, and hipster places like Roma or Condesa
kek, are they night clubs or just general places?
>>
>>1234303
They're neighborhoods. Condesa and Roma have some nightclubs, lots of bars, restaurants, etc. Another nightlife district is the Zona Rosa, which is less hip, maybe a little sleazier, and a bit gayer (although it's very mixed).
>>
>>1233328
The only place in Mexico that actually has a real Cinco de Mayo celebration is in Puebla.
>>
>>1233318
Cinco de Mayo is only celebrated in Puebla (where the battle was won).
>>
>>1233909
700 US dollars a month is a little more than ok (not great, but not really bad) if you are going to live alone.
>>
>>1233942
A nice small apartment (60 square meters) in a nice neighbourhood (Roma, Condesa, Coyoacan) can be rented for half of that. And since food and transport are cheap as fuck, you can live comfortably with 700 dollars a month. Not great, but more than ok in a nice place.
>>
>>1234469
Do you know when it is the best time to go to CDMX? I was thinking about going maybe late May till early June or mid July till mid August.
>>
File: map_mexico_city.jpg (247KB, 1110x1104px) Image search: [Google]
map_mexico_city.jpg
247KB, 1110x1104px
>>1233318
>>1233815
Metropolitan area is as big as NYC but there's many areas you don't need to visit

Still is a lareg city.
The same way other touristic, capital or world cities there's a lifestyle for native and tourist
>>
>>1235114
Original map? I can only find it like 507x510
>>
File: map_mexico_city.jpg (160KB, 1110x1104px) Image search: [Google]
map_mexico_city.jpg
160KB, 1110x1104px
>>1235114
>>1235279
Nevermind, got it
>>
>>1235114
Interesting, and corresponds pretty well with my experience. For those looking for Zona Rosa, I believe it's in Colonia Juárez on that map, not far from the Centro Histórico.
>>
>>1237095
bimp
>>
final bump
>>
You'll have fun op. If you want to be there during a big celebration consider going during Dia De Los Muertos or September 15th next time.
>>
>>1233354
Yo won´t get to see any lava, my friend.
>>
>>1234686
this
>>
>>1234234
dont listen to this fucker
>>
>>1234713
Weather it´s nice most of the year. Maybe a little rainy these days (april-may)
>>
>>1233963
I think even Chiapas' capital has better looking girls than Oaxaca's. And if you like nature, Mayan ruins and colonial towns, it doesn't lose.
>>
>>1239826
>a little rainy these days (april-may)
Rainy season is between June-October, and lately it's been starting since April-May. So it's really between May-October.
>>
>>1233909
- 350 US$ a month in a comfy small apartment with furniture included in a good area.
- If the apartment you are renting doesn't cover electricity, water, gas, internet, etc., add 100$ more.
- 150$ a month for all your food
- 50$ a month for public transport
- 50$ spare

I mean, you wouldn't live like a king, nor would you get rich or go somewhere, but it is possible.
>>
>>1239861
This was done assuming that 1$ = 20 pesos. It can vary yearly and sometimes even monthly. And for a single person.

And assuming that you can find a rent in neighbourhoods such as "Alamos", "Portales", "Santa Maria la Rivera", "Narvarte", and similar places, that aren't dangerous, are pretty nice on their own and are close to everything, but aren't as good as "Roma", "Condesa", "Coyoacán" or "Del Valle", and much less places like "Polanco" or even less places like "Las Lomas".

You would have to do your homework, tho.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.