[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leaving spouse to pursue travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Mars.gif (2KB, 48x48px) Image search: [Google]
Mars.gif
2KB, 48x48px
I need advise. I've been in an off and on relationship with a girl for the past 3 years and have been slowly starting to resent her. I have been wanting to travel solo for a long time, since I came back from 5 months abroad in Japan 6 years ago. Since then i moved around in the states, first in Detroit, then Chicago, and now in New York City the past 4 years. I really truly care about her, but our relationship has gotten very toxic and codependent and I can just feel my self using our relationship as an excuse to put off achieving my immense urge to travel alone. I don't know how to tell her this, and maybe this is better suited for an advise thread but wasn't getting anywhere there so thought I'd try here. She has threatened to kill herself if I left her during our last fight (on my birthday no less) and although I don't think she would really do it, I know me breaking up with her is going to completely destroy her. She is a very beautiful and talented person with some psychological issues (BPD and Bi-polar 2).

Im just feeling like I need to get out of this and I know once I am I am going to have absolutely no strings attaching me here anymore, and I want to really make a go of traveling around and seeing the world. Not really sure what I'm even asking for on here anymore just needed to get this off my chest and maybe hear some anonymous feedback. I am so scared of hurting her, but i feel my emotions have shut off almost completely to her after our last fight when she kicked holes in her walls and was running for knives and I had to physically restrain her.

i dont know what the point of making this thread is, but feels good to put it out there i guess.
>>
>>1233081
Don't know what to tell you, OP. She sounds like a psycho to me.
Can't you travel with her instead of alone? That seems to be the solution.
>>
>>1233082
I don't want to go with her, i want to go alone. I guess I'm just at a loss for how to approach this situation. I don't know how to talk to her about this without her loosing it.
>>
>>1233084
Then go somewhere alone for a week or so (not too long). See how she takes it.
>>
Get her on meds and report her to some authorities on the matter. Suicide prevention hotlines or similar. And go live your life.
>>
>>1233096
This right here. Even in the US there's no need to treat mental illness as if it's a gypsy curse dooming someone for eternity. Find out what the local mental health emergency response protocol is for your local area (i.e. visit mentalhealth.gov), and if she acts in a violent and unstable way again, contact them immediately. She'll be assessed and given treatment. Then you will be able to go fuck Thai ladyboys without feeling guilty...
>>
>>1233096
This!

I still remember one of my uncle's long term girlfriends... She kept on threatening him with suicide, he left her anyway, she overdosed herself on some prescription drugs. I mean, even like this, I don't think her suicide is anyone's fault, but would have been better if she got mental care obviously.

Don't give in to the threats, but get someone else to help her.

This is more /adv/ than /trv/ I guess.

I broke up with people over travel before actually. It's one of my biggest hobbies, so if someone tells me to stop it, obviously I won't stay in a relationship with them.
>>
>>1233081
Sounds very familiar. Years ago I was in a relationship with an extremely pretty bipolar artist type. While I was with her I always felt guilty of my own things, aspirations and plans for life. Because she manipulated me into that kind of thinking. Easy perhaps for any woman but bipolar seem to have special talent for that. Irrational behaviour makes you ask yourself what did I do? In the end you're just her enemy who she likes to keep close so she don't have to blame herself for anything. The devil she knows. And maybe the feeling is mutual. You are not hurting her, she is doing it on her own and just blaming you.
Obviously you need to leave her. Do it while you still have some backbone. If you still have. She wont be destroyed, she'll be fine. She'll find another guy in a week and completely forgets you.
Tricky thing is to get away with your belongings and without legal ties. If you leave even a tiny part of your life in her hands it might come and haunt you worse than you can imagine. Change your emails, new passwords for everything. Mailing, keys, any important piece of paper must be in your control. You can't do it too carefully with a bipolar woman. If you know her family or friends you could try and toss the burden on their shoulders in some casual way. Maybe paint yourself as a victim. Claim to have a breakdown and start to drink. Say you need some time for yourself. That's what women always say when they are going for good. Don't mention any bright future travelling plans. Just go.

I'd suggest you go to Thailand but it's up to you. Thailand is ideal for a man in your situation.

You need to start the process today, while you still can. Save yourself. Live your life.
>>
>>1233082
>>1233082
>She sounds like a psycho
>>1233082
>Can't you travel with her

Did you even read your own post?
>>
>>1233081
>leaving spouse
>I've been in an off and on relationship
i think you need to look up the definition of "spouse".

also, >>>/adv/
>>
>>1233155
I-i'm j-just trying to help OP...
>>
File: r-74fthu5h.jpg (527KB, 1107x1600px) Image search: [Google]
r-74fthu5h.jpg
527KB, 1107x1600px
Ditch the bitch and her laundry list of problems. If you're even thinking about going without her, then there's your answer.
>>
>>1233081
Well man, what can i tell you, i've been with my gf for a year, and now i just moved to another country because our relationship was going to hell, now things are starting to recover, with the distance and everything i'm a little bit more positive about life, and she's seeing how much important i was for her and how she fucked everything up but not taking care enough about my happiness.
I'm pretty sure you should do whatever makes you happy, if she loves you, she should be happy that you're doing fine. If you don't follow your dreams because of somebody else you're just making yourself miserable, and therefore that person will leave you or you will leave her sooner or later.
>>
>>1233081
>I've been in an off and on relationship
Off the relationship. If your SO threatens to harm herself there's a deeper issue that you're not going to be able to fix, because you're likely (I'm assuming, you might be a therapist) not her therapist and just her boyfriend. Unless you are married as you said in the title, in which case you fucked up.
>>
File: 1447858368892.jpg (994KB, 1200x1734px) Image search: [Google]
1447858368892.jpg
994KB, 1200x1734px
>>1233081
Sad story OP, all I can say it's that probably staying together is not the better option here

>>1233432
>not posting the original
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.