[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

Does anyone have any experience with this bag? Someone else recommended and I am thinking of getting one.
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

Someone reccomended it to me. Actually they recoomended the Jr. which is pictured, but right now there is only $10 difference.
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-mother-lode-weekender-convertible-junior/241465?productid=10395044
>>
>>1232963
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNN0LoVJ5So&feature=youtu.be
>>
I managed to do a two-week trip with only a shitty $20 backpack.

The only reason I would ever spend more than $20 is for stronger stitching and better water resistance/proofing.

>tfw my backpack actually started bursting at the seams when it was time to go back home and I bought too many souvenirs
>no problem with rain, but the inner lining shredded very easily, well before I even started the trip
>>
>>1232965
>How to Pack Light for Travel
>30 minutes long
>video starts with a shitload of stuff sprawled out on the floor
Goddammit
>>
>>1233879
Shit, I even tried to give it the benefit of the doubt by watching more.
>The bitch is just yapping away about clothing/footwear recommendations
>more of a "what to bring" than a "how to pack"
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuug
>>
>>1233881
>>1233879
I do a lot of varied activities, high and low class, and all in between.

The guy who mentioned a backpack and posted pics in this thread has got me considering one, vice my 20" carry on. I am >>1231803

and the OP of this thread
>>
I've got one of these. It's alright. Biggest problem is it's way over-compartmented. It's very easy to overstuff each section just a little and end up with an impossible to close bag. It's also got more tiny pockets and pencil holders than anyone could possibly need.

If I were doing it again, I'd probably buy the simpler, cheaper eTech 2.0 one.
>>
>>1233943
link? Do you have the Jr. or full sized Ebag?
>>
>>1232963
I have one and it has been great.

The only other bag I would consider -- and sometimes wish I would have bought instead -- is an Osprey Porter 46, along with its day bag that hooks onto it.
>>
>>1234043
full size or jr?
>>
>>1233881
>more of a "what to bring" than a "how to pack"
That's what how to pack light means. Things don't change mass by packing them differently anon.
>>
>>1234035

I have the full size.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/etech-20-weekender-convertible/242274?productid=10211619 is the eTech one, though now that I see it again, it seems to rather disappointingly not include the should strap, which is one of the better ways to carry the TLS one.

The important thing to remember about these is that they're luggage with straps, not backpacks. They're not comfortable to wear for any length of time. If you have visions of 'backpacking across' anywhere, forget these, and look at bags like the osprey porter metioned above instead. This really just gets you from the airport to the hotel to the train, etc.
>>
>>1234086
Im and thinking of using it just for airport convenience/carryon. Using it as luggage how does it compare to a traditional 20 inch carryon?
>>
>>1234095

This was my first carry-on only bag, so no idea. Before, I had a big samsonite that I checked and my computer bag.
>>
>>1234116
No complaints though? How often do you find yourself using it as a backpack? In what situations?
>>
>>1234121

90% of the time I use the shoulder strap, since it's easier to navigate crowds and to set it down when you're sitting or on one of those walkways. The backpack mode is only for when I need to run or am going to be walking a pretty long distance with it. The handles are actually pretty good for short jaunts and manhandling it. Just posting this makes me think I should invest in a nicer shoulder strap, since the one they include is pretty basic.
>>
>>1234049
I have the full size version. That was fine for three weeks in Europe, plus it is expandable (I think by two inches?) if you need more room.
>>
File: voyager-2_1024x1024.jpg (36KB, 664x604px) Image search: [Google]
voyager-2_1024x1024.jpg
36KB, 664x604px
While we're on the subject, anyone here used the MEI Voyageur? I've been thinking of getting it as a less 'technical' replacement for my TLS, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price diff or worry maybe it's too minimalistic.
>>
>>1234172
How do you think it compares to a traditional 20" carry on? And the questions I asked here>>1234121
>>
>>1234065
You're absolutely right. Packing light is about reducing mass and/or volume.

So really, it's "what NOT to bring," not "what to bring."
>>
>>1234180
It's the largest possible size to still qualify as a carry on. That makes it very easy to carry it as a backpack and be mobile with it (the best way to use it), which is why I really like it.

They would be more or less the same size, as far as I know.

If you look up Rick Steves, he uses more or less the same backpack (same dimensions and shape, but his own brand), and he travels around Europe for months with that in order to be mobile and pack light.
>>
File: 20170408_145156.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170408_145156.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
I saw this at Belk's today, on sale for $99. How do you guys think this would compare to the Ebag?
>>
File: 20170408_145213.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170408_145213.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Here is info from the tag.
>>
>>1234516
>>1234514
The dimensions are more or less the same, but think about two things:

1. Do you want the added weight of wheel system? (Consider if you're going to carry it)
2. Do you want the ability to expand it?

BTW, the current price of the bag from eBags is rather high...It's generally sold for $100 or less before discounts.
>>
>>1234521
Doesn't the weekender have wheels? My next trip is May. So I have time to catch a sale, though there does appear to be a 20% off coupon that would knock it down to about $96. After reading some reviews I don't think that High Sierra bag is a good choice. Maybe for short trips, are as a carry on when you are checking luggage. The Weekender biggest use this year would be a 2 week trip around Singapore and Thailand in September/October
>>
>>1234514

It doesn't look very high quality. Fabric looks thin, lots of external seams, lots of single stitching, lots of small patches, cheap zippers, etc.

Also, that telescoping handle is round and wide, which means it takes away a lot of potential packing space inside.

It seems like the kind of bag that does everything poorly.

>>1234521

I paid $65 for my TLS, but only by getting a clearance color called bronze that looks like a polished turd
>>
>>1234527
>Doesn't the weekender have wheels?
One version has wheels but the normal version is just a bag.
>>1234535
I paid ~ $60 for a blue bag during a random sale. They happen often and I wouldn't pay more than $100 pre-sale for any color.
>>
>>1234544
Is the full size at that price? Not the jr?
>>
>>1234548
Yes
>>
>>1233943
It seems that the Etech is $79.99, $59.99. Would that be enough for 2 weeks? For something with tech in the name, it doesn't even appear to have a spot for a laptop, unlike the Motherlode.
>>
>>1234086
>it seems to rather disappointingly not include the should strap,

Shoulder strap like a duffel bag would have?
>>
>>1232963
>Does anyone have any experience with this bag? Someone else recommended and I am thinking of getting one.
>http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

I have this one and it is the greatest luggage purchase I have ever made.
>>
>>1235007
>2 weeks

2 weeks is a lot of fucking clothes. If you want to go carry-on only, you should pack for 4-5 days with a few variations, and plan to get some laundry done.

>spot for a laptop

Don't bother with the laptop slot on the TLS:
1) fully packed, the laptop area curves enough to make me nervous about putting a laptop in there
2) It's this flimsy sling setup that doesn't hold it very well
3) If you want to take your laptop anywhere outside your hotel, you're going to want some sort of daypack anyway.

I usually just bring my normal laptop bag, either as my 'personal item' or by packing it in the front pocket
>>
>>1235076
Do you have the Motherlode or the TLS? I will be at two destinations during this time. So 4 -5 days is all I would realistically be packing.
>>
>>1235087
bump
>>
>>1235087
>Motherlode or the TLS
It's the same bag -- > eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible
>>
I just found out that AMEX has a deal, ending April 30th, that I will get $15 back if from ebags on orders. This will bring my total to $80. If there is not sale before the end of the month, when the deal expires, I may do this.

Or Ebags packing cubes worth buying?
>>
>>1236277

No point when Amazon is selling 4 large packing cubes for <$10.
>https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-4-Piece-Packing-Cube-Set/dp/B014VBIH5I

Don't bother with anything but the large or medium cubes. Small packing cubes literally 'organize' like 3 pairs of socks.
>>
>>1236277
>>1236416
What do packing with "cubes" do that makes it different from packing without them?

They look like artificial compartments for your suitcase or something. I guess you could mitigate clutter/disorder that way, but the amount of grief it causes me is negligible.

I have an open mind, I want to know why these make packing so much better.
>>
>>1236543
I have used the vacuum bags, but not cubes. I am curious to know this as well, but I assume they help with compression/organization
>>
>>1236570
>I assume they help with compression
They are mesh fabric bags, so they can still bulge/expand. And matter is matter, so you'd be adding more mass to your luggage, even if it's just a tiny bit.

>/organization
I assume this is the key feature, but again, even when my bag is disorganized, it's never so bad that it causes me great inconvenience.
>>
>>1236543
bumping for an answer to this
>>
>>1237801
>>1236573

Main thing I like about packing cubes is that:
>it organizes things, T-Shirts go in one cube, pants in another etc.
>when I wanna take something out that's at the bottom of the suitcase it's easier to take the cubes out and put them back in later

It's just a bit of convenience. Up to you if you think it's worth it or not.
>>
>>1232963

My wife got one of those and really likes it. It's only been overseas to Italy, but has been on a couple of other domestic (US) trips.

I am thinking about switching over to something like that myself, but bigger.
>>
>>1238126
Does she have the junior or full sized Motherlode? The junior is pictured in the OP, but I think the link is the full sized.
>>
>>1232963
My daughter travels with one of those. Not sure if "Jr" or not, but she is very pleased with it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.