[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Safety in Morocco for women

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_7518.jpg (249KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7518.jpg
249KB, 1024x685px
My girlfriend and her room mate are going to northern Morocco for spring break.

She insists its fine and there is nothing to worry about.

Realistically though, how dangerous is Northern Morocco for two white American girls in their 20's?

Though they refuse to wear a hijab or anything like that, they're not gonna do anything dumb like buy hashish or drink alcohol in public.

Should I be worried?

(Please no troll replies, I'm genuinely worried)
>>
Enjoy raped and broken GF after the trip
>>
>>1232732
You should be worried senpai. They gonna be ridin more than camels.
>>
>>1232738
>>1232743

I said no troll replies >:^(

Cmon, has anyone here been to this region? Was it sketchy?
>>
>>1232732
Morocco is a relatively safe country. It's been a travel destination for Western Hippies and Women who want "to find themselves" for ages. Two of my female friends went last year and had a great time. Don't worry.
>>
>>1232749
Thanks
>>
>>1232746
They should absolutely dress modestly and avoid shitty areas (a must).

The girls in the picture are not dressed modestly and they would get ravaged at night in the city.

t. spent months around Arabs in their homelands

they are animals to their women
I cannot imagine what would happen to foreigners which are prized meat
>>
>>1232746
how can you say the other anon was trolling, when she already posts the thread where she straight forward tells us she wants to bareback ride any variety of nigger she comes accross?

or in the other words - go away troll, you're fooling nobody
>>
>>1232764
>They should absolutely dress modestly and avoid shitty areas (a must)

Im sure they be dressed modestly, as in covering arms and legs

>arabs

We are talking about Rif region. I read Arabs are a minority, it's mostly berbers
>>
File: 1420774455869.jpg (105KB, 739x742px) Image search: [Google]
1420774455869.jpg
105KB, 739x742px
>>1232767
Yeah. We fell for it.
>>
>>1232732
Speaking as someone who lived in Morocco for three months this year. It's a safe country where violence is concerned. It's is extremely uncommon to hear of anyone actually experiencing anything remotely life threatening.

NEVERTHELESS, it's almost a guarantee that you will get scammed eventually. If you're a woman you will also have to live with getting sexually harassed wherever you go. Going out in pairs, with a chaperone, and avoiding the night should reduce this, whilst not completely eliminating it.
>>
>>1232781
This one is real, ignore the troll thread

>>1232784
Thanks!
Is northern Morocco different though?
I heard Ketama was the center of drug trade.
>>
>>1232767
>niggers
>Morocco

anon, no offense but please kys and leave the trolling to people who are proficient at it thx
>>
dude wtf why do they want to go there. I feel like that entire region of the world is terrible for women.

If you tell her you are uncomfortable with her going there, she should respect that
>>
>>1232732
girls and attention whores at my university has this thing for travelling to Morocco and then take the bus to West Sahara and shill for human rights and independence. the only bad experiences they have had is getting arrested by police and deported

chances are that they have higher risk getting raped at Miami beach than in Morocco
>>
>>1232792
>dude wtf why do they want to go there
We are doing a study abroad program in Spain.

It's crazy cheap to go there.

I can't go, I'm visiting a friend doing study abroad elsewhere in Europe
>>
>>1232793
>travelling to Morocco and then take the bus to West Sahara and shill for human rights and independence

Well... that's actually admirable.

They are protesting against a legitimate infringement of human rights
>>
>>1232792
Because Muslims are so cool like have you never eaten kebap?
>>
>>1232787
Everyone tries to sell you weed in Northern Morocco as a man. In Ketama it's pseudo legal, though I wouldn't recommend doing it out in public (although that doesn't stop many people) Women are not approached to sell weed. It's a bit of a cultural taboo to do that.
>>
Have some friends who went there last week. 80% of them blonde girls. They all loved it and didn't mention any harrasment. They were only in Rabat for about a week though so I don't know about other places
>>
>>1232732

I don't see anything wrong with your girl going, but I would suggest they wear the women's traditional clothing there for a variety of reasons:

- avoid looking like a tourist
- avoid harrassment
- avoid being scammed
>>
Why wouldn't you buy hashish when in Morocco?
>>
>>1232732
They wont face any dangers of physical rape, but they will be financially raped by tourist prices.
>>
A few serious replies here, mostly troll ones.

What's your definition of 'safe'? Will they be robbed or raped? No. Will anyone even touch them physically? No. I've never heard of these things happening.
Will they experience street harassment? Probably. Will it ruin their vacation? Depends on how strong of a stomach they have for that kind of thing.
Should you be worried? No.
>In 2016, Morocco attracted more than 10,3 million international tourists and is the most visited country of Africa

The Rif really is a separate country. Berbers have more respect for women than Arabs, broadly speaking.
Chefchaouen is a picturesque shithole, but if they get out of the cities they'll have a nice time.
>>
>two white american girls

She's gonna fuck some european guys in hostels there OP.
>>
enjoy all your shitty, expensive new carpets she's going to bring home.
>>
Am woman, have been to Morocco, can confirm it is completely safe. People there are very polite to tourists, although foreign women do get catcalled/harassed, just because we are seen as being more available than their own women. Women travelling to Morocco should always wear long pants or dresses and avoid tanktops. I covered my hair to be respectful, but it's not necessary.
>>
>>1232974
And that's how it should be, desu.
>>
>>1233066
Ok, i guess I was just over worrying

I had a friend who went in Algeria and said it was pretty rough.

I guess it's entirely different next door

>>1232926
>The Rif really is a separate country. Berbers have more respect for women than Arabs, broadly speaking.

Good to know

>>1232979
I don't think morocco is known for its carpets
>>
>>1232732
You should offer to be their chaperone

t. white knight
>>
>>1233066
>what is Stockholm Syndrome
>>
Lived with Berbers in Morocco for 3 months in 2015, though I did get out and do some touristic things before leaving, and headed north to check out Meknes, Fes, Chefchaouen etc. I'm male but met plenty of Western girls who were traveling.

As other anons already said, physically it's very safe. In touristic areas expect getting shouted at by toutes. In less traveled areas expect staring, that goes for men/women, but as a girl an expressionless stare from a strange man carries different connotations. At worst they'll get some verbal sexual harassment, expect some (mostly) tongue in cheek marriage proposals. Again, whether or not it's anything that will bother them depends on how thick skinned/sensitive they are.

Dress modestly and get a headscarf, they'll be fine without it but it shows respect and people will appreciate that they took the extra effort to make the respectful gesture, it's just polite and manners go a long way in setting the tone for human interaction. If they've never been to a Muslim country before Morocco is a great intro to learn about Islam. It's probably the most progressive Islamic country and they're used to foreigners and to people not understanding their culture. I really enjoyed my time there, +1 for Berber hospitality, and for getting away from the tourist trail.
>>
>>1233109
Thanks that's a really informative post.

I grew up in a really non-multicultural environment in Wyoming, so just the idea of traveling in a 99% Muslim country makes me a nervous for my gf, but I guess it's just another myth that's being fed to us
>>
>>1233109
Sounds like a cool experience. Can you tell us more about it? Did you pick up any Tamazight?
>>
>>1233382
Sure, it definitely was.

I had a distant relative who'd moved there to open a guesthouse and was in the process of rebuilding a traditional mud brick kasbah. I went and worked construction with the local guys they'd hired, living with said distant relative's buisness partner and his family in the village. I picked up a little tamazight, but a lot of the time I'd just be asking for the translation of the word in French and not know if they'd given me the Arabic or the Berber translation lol. It didn't matter so much for them, it just made it awkward for me later, when in a city I'd try a (Berber) phrase with an Arab Moroccan and they'd look at me like I was retarded.

One of my favorite moments was later on in Marrakech when I was getting pestered by an old beggar, I'd told her sorry I had no money in Arabic a few times but she kept following me through the Medina, so I thought I'd try the same thing in tamazight. I remember she stopped, taken aback, and then just started howling with laughter and walked away with a big grin on her face. No idea if I managed to say what i was trying to or not but I feel like it made her day lol, I would have given her something after that but I really didn't have any cash on me.
>>
Oh their going to get raped for sure.
>>
>>1232732
Nothern Africa is not as conservative as the middle eastern muslim countries. Some women there wear the traditional clothes but others, especially the young ones use normal, "western" if you like type of clothes. At least in the cities. I've never seen the province but I'm guessing you won't eighter. Obviously there are some no no's like when you visit the mosque you should wear long sleeve shirt and cover your head (women) but they won't kill you if you do. Most likely they will just ask you to do so. In the turists places you can do what other turists do. They do have pubs with alcohol, wear bikini at the hotel beach etc. It's not Saudi Arabia. Have fun and be smart like you would be in any foreign country.
>>
>>1233410
their what?
>>
Hijacking this thread. I'm going to be in Marrakesh over Easter, anybody there want to meet up?
>>
Supposedly the anime and convention scene is big in Morocco.
>>
>>1232732
I work frequently in Morocco, so I can give some first hand experience.

Safety is fine, but as other people say, cat calling is very frequent.

They should dress modestly (long sleeves and trousers) - even moreso in the countryside - and everything should be fine.

However, the other travelers in the hostel will probably give them some good time. A good blunt, a couple of beers, bf is far away, view on Chefchaouen is awe-inspiring...
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.