[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a bad idea to take a plane to a place with very little

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 4a89346f603c3f456ef8dacd0b2f8973.jpg (412KB, 2142x3000px) Image search: [Google]
4a89346f603c3f456ef8dacd0b2f8973.jpg
412KB, 2142x3000px
Is it a bad idea to take a plane to a place with very little money for food and accommodation and just hope to wing it as you go along?
>>
Nah
>>
>>1231162
Nah, seems like a decent enough idea.
>>
that's fun mode
>>
dunno about the accommodation part, seems like that would end badly if you truly do not have funds
>>
>>1231182
just when I thought /trv/ can for once agree that people who aren't morons are able to cope with problems without insane amounts of money
>>
Nope, it's a great idea OP. You aren't really living like a local in a 3rd world country if you aren't just barely scraping by at life.
>>
>>1231162
Your life dude, it could be the best thing in the world or the worst.

Check out some of the homeless/vagabond threads on /out, most of them just want an escape. If you dont learn their motivation you might pick up some tips

Ask yourself "why" and not "how"
>>
Ok guys I booked the flight to morroco

I cant believe im doing it
>>
>>1231343
u gonna get raped lmao

how much money you taking and for how long?
>>
>>1231348
Well I plan on taking a ferry to Europe and interrailing for a month, so I'll be able to sleep on night trains at least

I don't know how much money I'll have this summer my income and expenses aren't predictable. But I might have 400 euros or so
>>
>>1231355
Well, it's doable, if you don't mind heavy discomfort.

I hitchhiked from the Baltics to Spain and back 9 years ago. Went with some girl I met off a travel website. Took €100 or so with me. Some people who picked us up felt sorry for us and gave us money, though.
Slept in parks, hotel roofs, next to the highways etc. Ate like shit, drank €0.50/liter wine in Spain, smoked some weed in Amsterdam and we survived. Wouldn't do it again, though.
>>
>>1231162
Probably best to have an emergency stash somewhere, or a credit card, in case something truly dire happens, but of course not. Winging it on a budget is practically the definition of backpacking.

Personally, I'm old and have a wife and kids, so I am no longer able to do that very practically (traveling with kids almost always requires a little more preparation and cash, if it's not going to be super-stressful). But I spent a lot of my 20s as an underpaid expat, so I spent most weekends and a lot of time bopping around to other countries without much cash.
>>
>>1231360
If it gets really, really, really bad, I can get Daddy to bail me out. But of course I wouldn't do that unless I really needed to because of my pride

Do you travel with your wife and kids much or have you sacrificed travel for family life?
>>
>>1231363
We are just getting back into travel in a low-key way. A lot of domestic trips, two trips to Mexico, one to Hawaii, and we are spending the summer in Italy. But we plan on expatriating with them in the next couple of years.
>>
>>1231373
Why is it that when white people move to another country they're 'expats' but when coloured people do it they're 'immigrants'?
>>
>>1231376
I distinguish between expats and immigrants based not on skin color but on degree of permanence, personally.

I think of expats as moving with their jobs/getting sent by their jobs, and not intending to relocate to wherever they wind up on a permanent basis. Immigrants may or may not get moved by their jobs, but do plan to stay forever.

So my wife and family and I will be expats because we're planning on moving with her job (her firm has offices all over the world and is HQ'd in Switzerland, our most likely destination), and we don't expect to stay for more than a few years (because Switzerland is expensive and small and not somewhere I'd want to live forever).

But you're right that it's kind of a silly distinction.
>>
I am from Mexico city and just moved to the UK to live with an English friend. I haven't found a job (got here last Monday)/but I'm helping him run a small not so legal operation over here. I believe moving out of your country is important and beneficial for anyone, no matter how much u got and how bad things might get, it's the experience what counts, what you learnt, the ppl u meet, the new things you see and hear and taste. I spent all of my savings on the ticket here However (flying out of Mex is really expensive) and have less than £300 left. Everyone says I won't get a legal job because I'm not European and have no visa. As a tourist I can stay in this island 6 months. Hopefully I will have enough money by then to spend some time abroad and come back since I like it here.

PS. My roommate is pretty chill. So if i make it to England, you can stay with us. :)
>>
>>1231516
jesus, so mexicans who refuse to go back are a problem across the pond too...

Was air travel a mistake?
>>
>>1231357
You spent fucking 100 euro for 4000km trip?
really?
On this route i usually do about 10 euro max
>>
>>1231538
To be fair, some of us do it the legal way. I'm at the moment in the midst of a visa application, as I got a job in the UK.

It took 1000 applications to get the job offer, and the whole visa procedure has taken about 6 months. But it seems that it'll work out in the end. I detest how my fellow countrymen often give us a bad rep though...
>>
>>1231637
Did you get the job in the UK before leaving your country?
>>
>>1231585
Damn you sound like a pussy. I often do it on 1 euro.
>>
>>1231778
>doing it on 1 euro
Pfft I prostitute myself for sandwiches and a bed to sleep in.
>>
>>1231357
>drank €0.50/liter wine in Spain, smoked some weed in Amsterdam
For God's sake, why?
>>
The thing is, you never know until you get there unless you know the place in and out.

I traveled Europe with nothing but a sleeping bag, sometimes I'd be thinking "shit I can't believe that I'm doing this without spending a dime"
I climed a mountain in Germany and sleept on the top underneath the stars, one of the greatest things I've done, few days later I was stalked by a pack of dogs in Croatia and sleept in a old dirty shed.

Looking back it's probably the best thing I've done, but I might as well had ended up getting stabbed by a hobo and it would've been the worst.

Genuine risk will always make things more interesting, no matter what you're doing.
>>
>>1232068
This post takes me right back to my days as a 17-year-old hiking mountains in Switzerland and squatting in old barns, my blood freezing every time I heard a dog bark. I still enjoy the lifestyle even though I've got money now. Hitchhiking guarantees you meet nice people every day. Sleeping rough guarantees you remember vividly every single day of your trip.
There's a lot of vitriol toward shoestring travelers on /trv/; I don't know why but I expect it's from people who have never done it, don't know how good it feels. I love looking back on a 1000+km hitchhiking trip and feeling zero financial guilt.
When I was a kid I thought it was impossible to both travel the world and make something of yourself at home. As it turns out I'll be a proud homeowner before I turn 26, with a lot of travel behind and before me.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.