[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pittsburgh, PA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_onew7e525G1tcqhjho1_540.png (557KB, 461x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onew7e525G1tcqhjho1_540.png
557KB, 461x810px
The great news is, I got accepted into a grad program at Carnegie Mellon. The shitty news is now I have to live in gottdam Pennsylvania.

Anybody mind talking Pittsburgh up for me? Or at least telling me what I should be eating when I get there?

I'll take any sort of advice or local tips or just shit about where I should go apple picking, because, for real, I'm on-board with moving to apple country.

TlDr; PA tips for someone about to have a zero budget, pretty please.
>>
>>1231157
Pittsburgh is awesome. Tons of great greasy (and non-greasy) food. Walkable. Has the two rivers. Different neat neighborhoods. Definitely one of my favorite US cities.
>>
>>1231157
Not sure what you're into but I'll fire off a few things.
-Several great history and art museums, plus the Science Center.
-The Strip District has a variety of food markets with some great stuff. Plenty of great restaurants all over town for traditional German, Polish, Asian food. Polish and German especially have a huge history here. For great German go to Maxwell's or Penn Brewery. Great sushi is Fuji on Route 60 outside of town. There's a killer Indian place in Moon near Robert Morris U.
-Most any subculture/niche activity has strong community here. Game stores galore, an Escape-the-Room, paintball, rugby, three huge nerd conventions (one being quarterly), trampoline parks, climbing walls, Painting with a Twist, specialized music/media stores, live performance theaters for major plays, small theaters for open mics and concerts, music stores (instruments), huge metalhead scene. You name it we got it, if not right in the city then <10 minutes drive.
-The South Side (Carson St) has about 100 bars, nightclubs, restaurants. All crammed along about one mile of one street. Not an exaggeration.
-Decent parks.
-Not generally a dangerous city. Just avoid Homewood, Knoxville, Hill District, and parts of the North Side.
-Affordable living without settling for a shithole.
>>
>>1231358
Sorry, typo. Less than 20 minutes drive for activities outside city.
>>
>>1231358
Oh, and congrats. CMU is a hell of a school.
>>
File: tumblr_ongalz3Ydv1tcqhjho2_540.png (63KB, 540x97px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ongalz3Ydv1tcqhjho2_540.png
63KB, 540x97px
>>1231180
That is so good to hear. I got more than a little worried when I saw it was only 300k. That's about the size of my home town in Nebraska, and yeah, was a little worried about that. How connected is the metro? I do have a car, so getting around shouldn't be hard if the burbs are go-to's.

>>1231358
The food and activities sound great. I've been a bit spoiled living in Chicago and thinking that just because I'm interested in something means I deserve to be able to travel for less than a half and hour to throw money at someone and do it.
I'm not terribly worried about shitty neighborhoods. Chicago has also given me a good sense of how to spot that, deal with it, and/or steer clear of it, but thank you for the names.

>>1231361
Thanks! Crazy excited to go to the same school as Andy Warhol, half the cast of Hamilton, Odo and New Spock. My program is cross-disciplinary between the computer science college and the fine arts college, and it's exactly what I was looking for.

While I've got you here, can I please ask where I should be looking to live? Close To Campus seems like a good place to start, but other liveable neighborhoods would be great.
>>
>>1231458
The only metro in Pittsburgh is the streetcars and they go to the southern neighborhoods and burbs. The city has a weird street plan so you better download some Google maps. Transit is mostly bus.
http://www.portauthority.org/paac/default.aspx
>>
>>1231458
You can find decent apartments/houses to rent at reasonable prices in Dormont, Carnegie, Crafton, North Hills/Bellevue, and Bridgeville. I barely looked at anything north of the city when I shopped for a place, so I can't vouch. It depends on your space requirements I guess. I have about 350 sq ft not including bathroom for $575 in Carnegie. And how close to campus you need to be. Washington, Houston, Oakdale, and other places south of the city are cheap but a bit far. If your commute is during peak rush hour and takes 376 through the Fort Pitt Tunnel, expect 30-40 minutes just to get from 376's Greentree Rd exit to downtown. I'm in Carnegie and my commute to Lawrenceville can be 10 minutes or 40 depending on if it's rush hour. GPS your commute when apartment shopping.
>>
>>1231894
*I mean it has a bathroom but didn't count it as living space in calculation.
>>
File: tumblr_onho3dGtBJ1r6q8euo1_1280.jpg (722KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onho3dGtBJ1r6q8euo1_1280.jpg
722KB, 1080x1080px
>>1231894
This may sound like a dumb question, but how far is far in Pittsburgh? For instance, in Chicago, four miles is across the damn city and may as well be on the other side of the moon. How far is an annoying drive?

>>1231897
I would hope it has a bathroom. But, dreams of indoor plumbing aside, that's not bad at all.
>>
>>1231157
I go to Duquesne for pharmacy, Pittsburgh is a pretty great place man. Lots of cool museums, parks, good food. The strip is fun, good grocers, Wholey's etc. I think you will really enjoy it
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.