[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 20130625114935-2.jpg (132KB, 480x283px) Image search: [Google]
20130625114935-2.jpg
132KB, 480x283px
I've been teaching English in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for a few months now, and while I enjoy it and the pay's decent I've got a lot of free time and was thinking about trying to pick up some copy writing or proofreading work as that's what I did before teaching. I've tried a few websites and not come up with much, was wondering if anyone knows any good sites to visit or other ways to find freelance writing work in Vietnam (or any other non-English speaking country).

So I'm not being selfish: feel free to ask me anything about teaching or living in Saigon.
>>
hey man i don't know anything about copywriting but just wondering if you could tell me more about teach English in Saigon in particular?
>>
>>1230897
Sure, is there anything in particular you want to know?
>>
>>1230892
Hey OP my gf and I are going to vietnam in July to do the same as you are. What was your experience job hunting? How much are you working now, and what kind of relationships do you have w8th your employers and coworkers?
>>
>>1230904
I applied for jobs before I left England and I think I had 4 job offers within 2 weeks or so. I know some people who moved here before finding a job and none of them had much trouble. Do you and your gf have teaching qualifications? It's possible to find work without them but a CELTA or whatever the Trinity one is definitely help, and tend to get you into the higher paying jobs. An online TEFL is ok, especially if you've some kind of vague teaching experience you can point to or bullshit wildly about, but CELTA and the other one basically guarantee you a job.

I work 18 hours a week for £1000-ish a month, which I live pretty well on, my rent is about £150 a month. I have to plan my own lessons as well but once you've done that for a couple of months it doesn't take much time, and some companies do it for you

As for my employer and coworkers, I can only speak from my own experience. My company is one of the bigger ones so it's pretty faceless and corporate but well-organised and they give me everything I need. I get on well with my immediate bosses and I've been pretty lucky with coworkers; like anywhere else there's a lot of people I like and a few cunts. The general vibe is kind of like when you stay at a hostel, everyone's pretty open and welcoming, and you've at the very least got in common with people that you like to travel and all that.
>>
>>1230911
My gf and both have some teaching experience that is varied. I've been a classroom assistant for developmental english for a year, private tutor for English and social studies for about 200 hours, classroom assistant for english in a high school for refugees, semi TA for social psych class for over 1.5 years, and I taught a remedial English class in a middle school for a semester. She was a TA intern in Japan for about 5 months. We're both graduating in two months from a top ranked university in USA, though I'm not sure if that matters at all. I'm thinking TEFL to start, then of I find my vibe then go for CELTA. She is actually vietnamese, and I am my own blend of Asian, so I think that my add a layer of obstacles when trying tout find work, but it seems like there is plenty to go around.

Soundso like you gotten hooked up with a good gig. Only 18hrs a week and you get over 1500$ a month....

We're going to go in midsummer to try out living there and to line up whatever opportunities we can. Imy curious what your experience was like while interviewing and during the on boarding process at the company?
>>
Hello,

A little off topic, but do you have any suggestions for HCMC . I'll be there for the next 4 days with my gf.
>>
Lurk around in the Digital Nomads group on Facebook.
>>
>>1231062
By the sounds of that you're gonna be fine, you've way more experience than I had when I decided to do this. There's deffo some racism with hiring Asians but with the bigger companies especially they don't seem too bothered so long as you speak English without a strong non-English accent. There's a fair few Vietnamese Americans and Australians where I am and they do fine.

All the interviews I had were over skype, mostly just your standard set of questions like why do you like our company, why do you want to teach English, what makes you good at it + a couple of more specific ones, e.g. what would you do if a child was misbehaving or not paying attention. I've heard of people getting asked to explain how they'd teach a certain grammar point but that didn't happen in any of mine, and I'd think if your English knowledge is good enough to have been a classroom assistant and to have got a good degree you'll probably be fine, just brush up on the basics and on how to plan a lesson or activity.
>>
Steps to get hired as an English Teacher in Saigon.

1. Be White

And that's about it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.