[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good/Bad Airlines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 9

File: 18456575474_20aa194703_b[1].jpg (229KB, 666x1024px) Image search: [Google]
18456575474_20aa194703_b[1].jpg
229KB, 666x1024px
What Airlines do you like, what Airlines do you hate /trv/?

Just had two boring as fuck 12 hour flights with China Eastern. Packed my phone with music and movies for the trip only to find out on the plane that they have a new policy of not allowing any cellphone usage, even in flight mode. Guess it's because of Samsung? What Airlines do you usually avoid and which Airlines do you prefer flying with?
>>
>>1230492
Finnair is like a nice version of Aeroflot. When they are not on strike. I haven't really used Aeroflot ever but still I think I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>1230492
>Lufthansa is missing

reported
>>
File: reaction.png (1MB, 1186x893px) Image search: [Google]
reaction.png
1MB, 1186x893px
>>1230509
i meant to write ryanair i accidently slipped on the keyboard
>>
>Emirates is No.5

That's cool. I get 25% discounts on Emirates flights with my medical aid.
Considering what I get for what I pay; I shouldn't complain.

Only issue is that you always have to stop at Dubai wherever you go.
>>
>>1230492
I like the ones on your list. Also I'm the resident KLM fan here, so have to add that one. Service can be crap, but I trust their pilots.
>>
>>1230492
Flew ANA last year for the first time and was very impressed. Food was great (for airplane), very nice flight attendants, comfortable seats, etc (for economy). Tried booking them again this year but too pricey.

The cheapest for my flight from CLT-->BKK was Emirates this year, but after reading about their shitty carry on policy and their shitty pay to pick a seat policy, I opted for Cathay Pacific for an extra $50. Will update in 7 days? Lol
>>
>>1230492
I believe it's Chinese law that outlaws the use of phones in flight regardless of brand. Got yelled at for it on both China Eastern and China Southern.

I don't necessarily hate either of those airlines, I just try to avoid them because layovers in China suck when you're trying to kill time. The airports lack amenities, the wifi is crap, and my most commonly used websites are blocked.

For going to Europe, I had a great experience with Virgin. For Asia, Singapore is the best but they're more expensive most of the time. EVA is a good middle ground and you get a layover in Taipei which is better than China.

Going to Europe I would avoid Iberia and Alitalia. No idea why, they always seemed shitty to me. For Asia, just the Chinese airlines. All the others, including Malaysia are pretty good.
>>
>>1230492
i have an unfair bias against swiss air, because every time I fly with them, they upgrade me
>>
Apart from domestic US flights (which suck pretty universally) I haven't seen much of a difference between airlines honestly.

The only really awful airline I've heard of is Cebu Pacific in the Philippines. They have ridiculously good sales that the filipinos go after months in advance, but if they don't have enough seats filled on a flight, they'll just cancel it last-minute and make a stupid excuse.
>>
>>1230492
>Zero North American airlines

Color me totally surprised
>>
>>1230741
Air Canada does a pretty goddamn good trans-Pacific flight from Vancouver to Tokyo. Let you bring two pieces of checked baggage up to 50 pounds each for free, the food isn't bad, plenty of stuff to watch in the onboard entertainment options. If I'm too tense from the flight, I can just catch up on movies I haven't seen for eight hours.
>>
>>1230492

I've had luck with AirBerlin and SAS. Ryanair is alright; you get what you pay for. Norwegian is good if you have no check-ins for them to lose
>>
>>1230747
That was the bare minimum service that shitty United offered 5 years ago when they were almost bearable but definitely worse and was totally expected 10 years ago when I first started taking international flights regularly.

You're praising the retarded Paralympian for getting around the track when all the other countries are going for Usain Bolt tier. Except Bolt is expected
>>
I often fly to Germany, only had experience with Aeroflot (Russian Airlines). Moscow-Berlin for 75-80€ is a very good deal (the cheapest days are tue, wed, thu, also closer to any celebrations = less cheap). It only takes 2-3 hours, phones are allowed in airplane mod. Can't say anything about food, i don't eat on board.
would recommend
>>
>>1230669
>Alitalia
Speaking as someone who's traveled to Italy with Alitalia several times, I think it's always had a big problem with service. For whatever reason, all the attendants have this stern attitude the entire flight, especially if you don't speak Italian. Otherwise, it was pretty good the last time I used them. There's plenty of amenities, and the food is pretty good for airline fare.
>>
>>1230492
>school trip
>flight delayed because of bad weather
>hoity toity stuck up bitches who are only accustomed to 1st class everywhere talk shit about the plane being delayed
>'this would've never happened if we booked a more expensive airline'
laughed my ass off, yeah, paying more for a ticket would've totally made the weather better.
>>
>>1230748
I've grown accustomed to low cost carriers for my leisure travel. If work is making me travel, it's business class at minimum. When I travel on my own dime, saving four figures on airfare alone is too good to pass up.

jetBlue and Southwest are top tier. Ryanair and easyJet are fair value, you get what you pay for. Spirit and WOW suck, and are actually overpriced for what you get.

I will (hopefully) be flying Norwegian Long Haul and Condor this year (OAK-GTW & SEA-FRA). I'll be using Alaska Airlines for some domestic weekend getaways.

>>1230741
After the slew of mergers, now there are just the three legacy carriers, each tied to the three major alliances. They each have their own hubs and do not stray into each other's territory. They are literally not competing, cartel style. They have no incentive to improve service since they all hold local monopoly hubs, like the cable companies. Southwest's service is leagues above AA and United. Haven't flown Delta enough recently to make a judgement.

Decent miles programs are a thing of the past, they are not loyal to us, I am no longer loyal to them.

>>1230808
>often fly to Germany
As do I, unfortunately, Lufthansa has a strangle hold on FRA. Singapore economy is better than most airline's business class, so their flights from NYC to FRA are wonderful, even in coach.
>>
>>1230913
>Haven't flown Delta enough recently to make a judgement

Delta is the best of the bunch. I enjoy their mileage program, with churn in addition to my flights. Because it makes paying for my family tickets so much easier
>>
If you're going to South America, Avianca is a pretty good carrier to use.
>>
>>1230913
>Decent miles programs are a thing of the past, they are not loyal to us, I am no longer loyal to them.
I am not part of any frequent flyer program and thought I fucked up by not signing up for any, are you saying there aren't any anymore?
>>
>>1230747

Air Canada is okay for longer flights, but their pricing is too high. I can get a shitty Air Canada seat for the same price as a Premium Asian or European carrier seat.

If I'm flying within NA, Delta has been the least bad in my experience.
>>
>>1230960
They haven't been worth it for years.

Unless your employer pays you to fly frequently, loyalty programs are a waste of time and effort. All the legacy carriers are moving away from earning miles flown, to earning points spent. just like how the low cost carriers have done for years.

Spending thousands of dollars to "earn" a $70 flight (Southwest) is ridiculous. It's more trouble than it's worth. It's becoming, buy 10 flight, and you might get one for free, if you don't fly during blackout dates.

Just shop around for the best price.
>>
I can only speak for airlines I've flown with.

Like:
>JAL
>Cathay Pacific
>Singapore Airlines

Dislike:
>Air Canada
>>
>>1230492
>Qatar & Etihad
>those beefy fucking jets
Do they have a fucking gym in there or something?
>>
>>1230492
Isn't Dragonair like a premium version of Cathay Pacific? How does it rank lower?
>>
>>1231390
It's the Ryanair version of Cathay. Strange they should rank so high.

Funny how googling for Dragonair the first results are pokemon and not the airline.
>>
>>1230738
would agree, with the added observation that in my opinion the internal US flights are not as different from other, similar routes elsewhere as folks think.

Some airlines are a bit nicer than others, or have somewhat newer planes, which is nice. But by and large, at the end of the day, your sitting in a big metal tube with crappy air, part of the price you pay to get to go some place you want to go.
>>
>>1231431
>Funny how googling for Dragonair the first results are pokemon and not the airline.

Oh wow.
>>
>>1231389
that would be so fucking awesome

a lounge room and a recreational center

maybe a basketball court too lol
>>
How is Thai Air? Considering them over Air Asia for Singapore to Chiang Mai, but not sure if it's worth the premium
>>
>>1231450
For a three hour flight? Gimme a break.
>>
>>1230750
>That was the bare minimum service that shitty United offered 5 years ago
You mean Ted?
>>
>>1231450
Thai is good but like the other anon said it's not worth it for a 3 hour flight. AirAsia is a good budget airline anyways.
>>
>>1231451
>>1231462
Total flight is about 5 hours with a short layover in DMK. I have flown AirAsia plenty domestic, but never international, and Thai not at all. Only about $34 difference in tickets. Air Asia is not as cheap as typical internationally unless going to Bangkok only. For $34 if the difference amounts to a class upgrade, with free alcohol or something....Hmmm, I just got the idea of flying to DMKband then
>>
>>1231483
I haven't flown Thai Air, but I'm the minority on /trv/ that would avoid Thai AirAsia at all costs... Those planes... Might have been series of bad luck for me and my friends, but those planes we got were rolling and flying with random movements. Or maybe we're just spoiled with top tier airlines normally, and cannof handle planes that aren't in top shape.
>>
>>1230513

KLM service is pretty good. I do about 150-200K miles on them a year.
>>
Hey I will be going to Auckland by September and have two options to fly:

Thai Airways FRA-BKK-AUC (7 hours layover to maybe visit Bangkok and FRA-BKK is served with A350)

British Airways FRA-LHR
Malaysian Airlnes LHR-KUL-AUC
(every stop has a 2 hour layover and LHR-KUL is served by A380)

Prices are basically the same and I havent flown A380 or A350 but I really want to. So now its about the better service... which one should I go with?
>>
>>1231490
Thai, easy. That's an annoying amount of layovers.
>>
>>1231488
Yeah, Air Asia is my fav mode of travel within Thailand. From Bangkok, minus the time to drive to DMK, basically an hour to anywhere. Have flown to Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Udon Thani with them. Not sure if I'd want to fly much longer than that with them, but also don't know if it's better planes/service coming from Singapore, but night train, sleeper car I think may cut my plane ticket in half or more, I reckon more like a third, factoring 1st class sleeper car. Those are private and you can fuck in them, right?
>>
I'm not surprised any North American airlines are on that list.
>>
>>1231852
No SkyTeam is that I see, which I find odd. As I have great experiences with Korean Air, and KLM. Delta ia best in the Americas, but that is still gold at the special Olympics. They aren't bad, though.
>>
>>1230492
I think I've flown 12 of these (I can't remember if I've ever flown on Air France), and it's a pretty good list, although I'm surprised EVA ranks so high--it's been a few years since I have flown with them but I remember them as nothing too special. Food and in-flight customer service are in my experience better on both Thai and Swiss, maybe among others. Swiss gets points for best in-flight booze selection I've had, although I'll subtract one point for a plane with uncomfortable business class seats on one flight I took from Zurich to Nairobi.

My favorite globally is probably Singapore, and as implied below I have a soft spot for THAI.
>>
>>1230513
I had a sandwich on KLM once which was labelled 'Old Cheese'
>>
>>1230506
What does that even mean you soutdoor like a retarded faggot please kys
>>
>>1230492
Not flying any gook airlines no matter how good their service is. Their pilots can't fly worth a shit. Read some of the pilot forums.
>>
>>1230513
klm fan here too.
pilots saved my life.

turkish airlines = remarkable.
>>
>>1231858
Can you give your opinion on my Thai/Air Asia question above?
>>
>>1231379
>Unless your employer pays you to fly frequently, loyalty programs are a waste of time and effort. All the legacy carriers are moving away from earning miles flown, to earning points spent. just like how the low cost carriers have done for years.

There's a huge difference between being hopeful for "free flights" and getting loyalty rewarded in the treatment you receive, from upgraded boarding, free checked bags, and top of the list for upgrades when flights are full. You'll also notice that being loyal gets you no fee or reduced fee flight time changes (none of that "oh, you want to go on a later flight? That'll be $300 more, please" bullshit). If you are moderate income, not superblackplatinum credit card perks, you'll also enjoy the occasional layover visits o the clubs when you just need to be around people that aren't disgusting in the terminals.
>>
>>1231881
>Not flying any gook airlines no matter how good their service is. Their pilots can't fly worth a shit. Read some of the pilot forums.
This. You can go right onto asian, asian indian, indonesian airline company websites and look at their pilot bios, which include "car salesman" and other previous careers. Scary. And, almost all o them learned on computers, not even real simulators, without a stitch of expensive real flight time. And it's well documented there's a cultural problem in the cockpit about speaking your authoritative mind, a lack of rapport and serious communication problems in asia in particular. These "new" planes that make you feel comfortable are equipped with english language warnings that are nonsensically misunderstood in emergency after emergency such as not understanding these words or not communicating them properly to air traffic controller. This isn't even just radio issues.
http://www.airlinesafety.com/editorials/BarriersToCommunication.htm
And, on that note of cultural differences between pilots and ranking, I'll further it to include the arab state funded "luxury" but full of crap airlines too, where there's a token brit or american pilot that has no clout against the idiotic sheik's son flying co-pilot. There is indeed a power relationship in cockpits. When you do read forums, you'll be made more aware of the disparity of training and level of ego problems, esp when two languages are together.
>>
>>1231914
>And it's well documented there's a cultural problem in the cockpit about speaking your authoritative mind, a lack of rapport and serious communication problems in asia in particular.

That shit has been addressed. At least within Korean Air, which was one of the worst. Also these issues can be found with Latin American airlines as well. But chapter six, of Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" covers the cultural issues related to PDI in great detail, and how they were addressed.
>>
If there was actually a serious safety concern over Asian airlines, they wouldn't be allowed to fly to the U.S. Hell, Thai wasn't allowed to fly to the U.S. for a while due to concerns over the aviation regulations in Thailand and that's an airline I still trust.
>>
>>1231881
Most Cathay Pacific pilots are white though.
>>
>>1231890
Assuming that's the Thai subsidiary of Malaysia's AirAsia, I think I've only flown them once, quite a few years ago, if at all--they were still just branded Air Asia, so either the acquisition/restructuring had yet to take place or it was in fact a Malaysian plane. Would have been newer back then anyhow.

Anyway, the flight was very cheap (something like $30 before taxes and fees, much less than $100 all in), I got to Phnom Penh in about an hour, and at no point did we crash or vanish into the sea. I may have dozed off for the stunt-flying portion of the trip.

I try not to think about it too much when flying weird little airlines in poor countries--I used to fly Lao Airlines back when they were known as Lao Aviation and used old Soviet planes, and were officially warned against in the guidebook (there was at the time only one guidebook just for Laos). I've flown Air Moldova. I've flown a local Kenyan domestic airline (that to my surprise had an all-female crew, one of only three times I can think of having been flown by a woman pilot; no, that was not why I was concerned). I'm taking a flight on f×÷=ing EASYJET this summer.

I'm still alive.
>>
>>1231961
Oh, but I've also taken a handful of flights on Malaysian AirAsia, never with any noticeable incidents beyond being late.
>>
>>1231961
I have flown Air Asia, I am looking for a comparison to Thai Airways, which I have never flown. Especially from Singapore to Bangkok or Chiang Mai.
>>
>>1231975
Thai is good, particularly for international flights. Much plusher than AirAsia. They feed you. Flight attendants are attentive. No reason not to fly with them.
>>
>>1231961
Thanks anyway, though
>>
>>1231985
Free alcohol?
>>
Is Vietnam Airlines decent? I don't know if I should expect old soviet planes and chickens in the cabin instead or just decent planes.
>>
>>1231961
>flying an airline once
>still alive
Yea, kid, when you frequently fly and have experienced true emergencies, or when your life is worth more than your $10 in your savings account, you'll understand how to calculate real odds and wanting your cockpit crew to be skilled if and when it is needed, which is more often than you think.
>>
>>1231990
>emergencies happen more often than you think
>yet the asian pilots still seem to deal with them alright

hmmm seems you're full of shit
>>
>>1231990
Dear friend, I am over 40, have been to more than seventy countries, have dependent children, and spent 25-65% of my working hours traveling internationally until just a few years ago.

My "I'm still alive" comment was obviously flip. And I'll even admit that I've been fortunate--my worst experience on an airplane has been one dramatic, drink-cart-hitting-the-ceiling drop, from which everyone eventually recovered. But sometimes people have limited options when choosing routes, and blanket bans on airlines, nationalities, or worse yet, ethnicities, are absurd to me.

>t. Almost certainly older than you are.
>>
>>1231989
They're OK on the surface. I had an unintended 24hr layover in Hanoi with them last time I used them because of mechanical problems, though, so they're off my list. Not chickens, but also not Singapore.
>>
>>1231988
Of course.
>>
>>1232031
I'm over 40 too, and I guess I actually have taken more flights than you, in your "65%" of your work life "traveling," because I can count more than one single dramatic event. I dare say you have little idea what happens in the cockpit unawares to you and/or not a pilot yourself. I've have dozens of twitterable events for which if I had video that would have gone viral in today's climate. You are still using the "I'm still alive" logic to throw all caution to the wind, albeit now supported by your claim o authority "seventy countries" of travel. I think the odds are worse now than it was in our youth, however. There's a very serious pilot shortage, and those that did get military hours of flying are now getting it with drone work instead of jet fighters, so there's the next generation. And, airlines are larger, where you are so unlikely to befriend and know your crew members among the 10,000 that work for the airline, unlike the past. Planes have quicker turnarounds where inspection times are more limited. You can judge pilot skill by landing, much of the time, and I can tell you I notice harder and less skilled landings over the years.
Those odds about plane crashes? They're based on nothing. It only matters that one time you're in the plane when it happens. The newest pilots work for starvation wages for a long time now. It's more like the more you travel, ie pilot, the more you know people who died in crashes, or who didn't die, thanks to miraculous thinking and skill. Some say it's 1 in 200 pilots dies in a plane. When you know a lot of pilots, in the course of your lifetime, you see it add up.
>>
>>1232070
what the fuck is your point? new hires working for shit pay happens in western countries too. this isn't something exclusive to asia and is certainly no reason to base your decision not to fly an asian carrier off of.

and lets be real, not even the shittiest, cheapest chinese airline would ever put a brand new hire in command of an intercontinental flight to the united states. you're absolutely delusional.
>>
>>1231881
>>1231914
>>1231890
Gook = Korean (only) ya dumb racist cunts lol
But ye there are others that have issues similar to Korean Air and Asiana too; like some Indonesian and Indian carriers
>>
>>1232070
I'm mid thirties, but I have to agree with the other guys. Yeah a lot of pilot die, but they don't die flying for commercial passenger carriers. Like a pilot anon posted a while ago about cutting his teeth, those are the guys doing deliveries in conflict areas in Africa and Latin America with shitty makeshift runways and such.
>>
>>1231919
Adressed ? Int think so. What about Asiana crash in SFO that was quite recent and is prime example of the problem
>>
>>1232083
Meant to quote >>1231958
>>
>>1232086
WTF, that has to do with Korean Air?
>>
>>1232092
The two airlines have same culture
>>
>>1232152
No. I really suggest you do your homework on Korean Airs turnaround and how they went about it, in spite of Korean culture. You are stuck in the 90s/00s.
>>
>>1230741
Unless you are going 1000+ miles and are really on a time budget there is no reason to fly domestically in the USA. Amtrak or driving is superior in every single way, especially if you are connecting or dealing with one of the "problem" airports (Hartfield, DFW, ORD, anything northeast, anything California). It seriously took me TWO HOURS once to get from O'Hare to downtown Chicago, after of course dealing with a nightmarish hour and a half arrival at that horrible airport.. Like if I would've just driven and timed up my drive to avoid rush hour I would've made it there in half the time it took. If I absolutely must fly Southwest seems to be the least fucked up of the lot.

Personally 1000 miles is about my limit at 80 mph...after 14ish hours on the road I just cant keep my eyes open. Find your tolerance and use that to determine what you should do.
>>
>>1232070
>What did you just say about me you little bitch
>>
>>1232185
I do domestic time in hours, not miles. If I am solo, and have the time, I will drive everywhere. Went from the East Coast of NC to San Diego in 2.5 days. Of course, took longer on the return trip after the wife flew out. More hotel stops, too. I just slept in the car while solo
>>
>>1232185
>Amtrak

Isn't that usually more expensive than flying now?
>>
>>1232185
>Amtrak or driving is superior in every single way
Except for taking longer or being more expensive (or both in the case of Amtrak) you stupid fuck.
>>
I think I enjoyed Emirates the most, but only for flights where the duration difference to other airports isn't that much. Great service, comfy seats + on board entertainment and usually the cheapest.
>>
Cathay, Qantas, and JAL are my favourite airlines.
>>
>>1230492
>Qantas
>absolutely everything is fucking terrible except for the safety record

I mean it's nice that you pretty much know a wing or an engine won't fall off but that doesn't mean it's worth 8 hours of wanting to kill yourself anyway
>>
>>1231490
>flying with MA

Enjoy disappearing or getting shot down by Russians
>>
>>1232246
Amtrak is a serious replacement for the bus, not planes
>>
>>1231878
it means your a Finnair flying son of a whore
>>
>>1232337
I like Finnair's long haul. They are still the only European airline with the A350. The business class there is sweet, plus you can get it surprisingly cheap.
>>
>Swiss
I just came back from Japan on Swiss Intl. NRT->ZRH Route on Sunday.
old shitty A340-300.
>a decade old 4:3 screen
>no hd
>swill the in-armrest controller which you can pull out
>no USB or AC/DC on place in Economy
>brown/gray interior. my grandma would say it was outdated in her 20s
>small legroom
>Even Business and First look like crap
I admit the service was good though. The A330 or the B777 might be more modern but i still dont think it should be on the list.

>ANA
HND-SYD-HND routes and some domestic fligths in Japan.
Best Service i ever expirienced, love the B787, awesome Food. Very poor selection of Hollywood blockbusters though.

Flew Cathay, Singapore Air, Asiana, BA and Lufthansa as well.
Why isnt JAL on the list?
>>
>>1232391
Have you flown JAL? Their long haul in business is like economy premium of other airlines.
>>
>>1232392
only economy. i liked it. not as much as ANA but was definietly not bad.
>>
>>1232083
>Gook = Korean (only) ya dumb racist cunts lol
Racists aren't usually known for their accuracy, much less intelligence.

Also, the term "gook" has been used a lot to refer to Vietnamese people, and eventually just any damn Asian.
>>
File: Da Rocket.jpg (43KB, 449x603px) Image search: [Google]
Da Rocket.jpg
43KB, 449x603px
Emirates is the best bang for buck.
>>
Haven't flown much, best service I've experienced was in Qatar airways, but the entertainment part was crappy, at least for me. Poor selection of movies and music. Was pleasantly surprised by Turkish airlines, very broad selection of everything. Food was good as well.
>>
>>1231858
I flew EVA and ANA in J in Feb. Honestly, EVA was better in every way except whiskey selection. ANA had the Hibiki 17.

Honestly, the biggest surprises for me on this list are that Qatar is #1, as I've always heard that they were incredibly overrated and only #1 in their minds. And that JAL isn't on the list. I've only ever heard good things about their J and F classes.

>>1231997
This desu. The last fatal crash in a modern jet from an asian airline was MH370, and it had a crazy fuck for a pilot. They've all had their share of takeoff/landing fuckups yes, sometimes costing a plane, but western carriers like Delta and British Airways, along with a ton of middle eastern carriers, have had their share of accidents as well. Unless I'm flying into bush on an improvised runway in an old prop from the '70s, I'm not terribly worried about fatal crashes.
>>
Has anyone flown Japan Airways? I just booked that Singapore error fare with them.
>>
>>1231874
>labelled 'Old Cheese'
Oude Kaas. Elite-tier ripened Gouda. Yum.
>>
The chicken on Air New Zealand wrecked my asshole later that night. Everything else was fine.
>>
File: 1491095915574.jpg (4KB, 252x161px) Image search: [Google]
1491095915574.jpg
4KB, 252x161px
>>1231874
>tfw you spent 18 month refining your cheese in special caves and know-how transmitted since generations and sanctuarised by UNESCO and some burger complains he had "old cheese" in his sandwich
>>
LAN in south america was good until the LATAM merger which turned them into a lowcost airline. Avianca is far better in terms of ammenities and comfort in comparison. Apart from those two I have only flown Qantas and Condor which are pretty good, there is really nothing to complain about.
>>
>>1234198
That is weirdly similar to the one time I flew Air New Zealand. Except it was a qt islander air steward who wrecked my asshole later that night, not the inflight meal.
>>
>>1230492
I've taken EVA a few times and I've found it to be the best, better than Cathay Pacific by any account. Attentive customer service, good food, decent entertainment, just all around good.

On the other hand, I live in Canada so most of the time I get to fly Air Canada which is fucking awful, pretty much the exact opposite: limited entertainment, cold attendants, and very little food that's all pretty shit.
>>
>>1230512
what medical aid card is that? asking for a friend
>>
>>1230492

Norwegian is ok.

Vueling is pretty shit. They overbooked my flight, and didn't explain anything when they refused me to board in. Good thing is that i can press my claim now i get a 200 euro recompensation out of a 30 euro ticket
>>
>>1230492

Like:
KLM
United
WOWAir

Hate:
American
China Southern
RyanAir
>>
>>1231961
>f×÷=ing

wew
>>
>>1231490

fly AirNZ via LHR - HKG - AKL

only way to fly to NZ
>>
>>1230669
>Going to Europe I would avoid Iberia...
They actually aren't that bad. Sure the cabin design looks straight out of the 60's but hey...
>their A340s suck like any other A340, Swiss, Air France, Lufthansa, Cathay, FinnAir doesn't matter. They all suck even in Business. It's a 1990's era plane and you can feel it so avoid them anywhere.

The plus of Iberia is the amount of meme destinations they fly to with a solid product that is on pair with KLM. above AirFrance and way above charter carriers that operate on a lot of their routes.
Even their economy is ok.
>2 edible meals + snacks on long haul flights
>free booze and as much beer/wine as you want
>IFE is good and the touchscreen is responsive
>seat wide and pitch is ok
>crew and service is ok
>price-performance ratio is pretty good. Usually $10-20 more expensive then a direct charter flight including the transfer to madrid.

pro tip: for any long economy class flight: Request a lactose free or kosher/halal meal. They actually put some effort into the special menus and serve them ahead of everyone else. You usually get some chicken breast, steamed vegetables and rice or pasta, a salat and instead of the shitty dry cakes a fruit bowl. It's free and nothing you couldn't fix with some salt & pepper or sugar.
>>
>>1231857
>>1230947
Agreed. A year ago, I flew on Delta to Paris, from Dublin, and to Detriot. Cost me a bunch of shekels, but was worth every cent. The stewardesses were friendly and kind, the food and drinks were pretty good, and the in-flight entertainment was breddy gud. The seats were comfy, as were the blankets they passed out.
9/11 would fly again
>>1231448
seconded
>>1232040
Well, congratulations! You got yourself drunk! Now, what's the next step of your master plan?

>>1233488
Sides are kill.
>>
Lufthansa is the Airline I use the most due to family discounts. Business and first class are nice, 10+ hour flights in economy/coach are a nightmare though. No legroom at all.
Same goes for United, but I had an even worse experience in their economy class, seats weren't adjustable plus the food gave me a stomach bug every single time, service was very nice though.

Thai Airways has the best economy class in my experience, a lot of room - relatively - nice service, decent food and allows the highest luggage weight in economy class out of all airlines I tried. Same applies to Cathay Pacific, although the last flight I had using them was over 10 years ago so things might have changed.
>>
>>1230492

Hawaiian air has been rated #1 for like 3 years in a row.
>>
>>1237648
Word of caution, though: in less popular routes you sometimes get older planes without touch screens. I had a 13 hour flight with them with no touch screen. Fortunately I was able to sleep through most of it, but it would have been hell if not.
>>
>>1234127
bump for answer. Don't want to make a separate thread
>>
>>1230492
Cathay Pacific.
Finnair pricing with SEA airline comfort, food and hot stewardesses.
>>
>>1232152
KAL have changed their corporate culture completely and they should be absolutely top notch now. Here's a 1 hour lecture on the thing. Sounds terrible, but Malcolm Gladwell is an ace. If you want to learn more about the cultural aspects that led to Asian airlines crashing, then you should listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4TXS7ck8bQ
>>
>>1232185
Are you even American?

>$50 to fly back home from LA with southwest (I'm 8 hours away from LA)

yeah this beats driving through LA or taking an amtrak bus any day
>>
>>1239290
>Word of caution, though: in less popular routes you sometimes get older planes without touch screens.

I have, they were fine. I mean, you're still locked in a plane for however long, and there is only so much that can be done to disguise that reality, but hey...
>>
>>1239302
I winder if ORD to BKK, I think a layover in Japan, is a popular route
>>
>>1232185
>Amtrak

/n/ cancer is worse than /pol/
>>
>>1239346
>/n/
Now that's one forgettable board.
>>
>>1237735
Those should be gone since early 2016 as they retired their A340-300 and did a cabin upgraded to their A340-600 and old A330 fleet to personal IFE.
>the A340 still sucks dicks and I can't wait for the 350-900 to replace them in 2018.
>>
CX 872 is my jam.
>>
>>1231448
Doesn't a plane have built in machine slots tho?
>>
>>1230513
I've flew on Delta, united, Ryanair, KLM and Ethiad and Thai
>Delta and united, meh tier
>Ryanair, so cheap you can't complain tier
>KLM, Bretty gud tier
>Ethiad and Thai, top jet tier
>>
Anyone flown Gulf Air?
>>
>>1231914
wow this is so misinformed, you guys are retarded. All pilots have to go through extremely stringent controls to get into the seat of a big jet. You need real flight hours and it doesnt matter if you were a car salesman before. As long as you can fly with experience and can pass the tests then you're good. Also it is an extremely competitive field with a line of pilots from all over the world wanting a job in the big jet
>>
>>1230512
Explain this medical aid business plz... I am a doctor and I never got a discounted ticket. Yet I have been involved in on-air emergencies twice.
>>
Flew with Garuda to Japan from Australia and was really surprised recently.

Was skeptical of going with Garuda but they were the cheapest. And on past travels, passengers clapped when we landed, service was terrible, entertainment crap etc etc

But I was blown away this time.
Would fly again.
>>
File: IMG_5033.jpg (23KB, 268x140px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5033.jpg
23KB, 268x140px
Anyone flown with Ukraine international airlines? I have a short flight from Kiev to Tbilisi with them in about a week.
>>
>>1240253
You're a doctor and you can't even spell "please" properly. I think you've answered your own questions.
>>
>>1240268
>passengers clapped when we landed
I've been flying for over two decades, and I've never seen this. And I've even flown to the US a few times.
>>
>>1240339
Garuda had a fair few bad incidences in the past.

I never clapped, thought it was rude.
>>
>>1240339
I remember this was a meme for a while, especially for Americans, hence"Americlaps"
>>
>>1241649
Apparently it's more common in movie theaters, but I've been to American movie theaters many times. Haven't heard a single clap.

I'm convinced that it's either completely bogus, or it depends on the state or even city.
>>
>>1232185
>It seriously took me TWO HOURS once to get from O'Hare to downtown Chicago,

Couldn't you have taken the blue line for 5 bucks and been there in 30 min though?
>>
>>1232209
>>1232246

These answers are 100% correct. Amtrak is also even more likely to be delayed than a flight through a cancerous airport like atlanta, Amtrak owns a tiny fraction of the rails they run on so two mile long freight trains always have priority and, as the trip approaches 12 hours, the chance one of these will force you onto a siding for a couple hours (or will do so before your train gets to you, delaying departure) approaches 100%.
>>
>>1230492
I flew china eastern and they told me not to use my mobile, I used my Bluetooth headset and pretended it was a noose canceller, pod casts for days. Chinese airlines I've found are as good as any other, personally I had a really bad customer service experience with QATAR. They booked my flight to a different airport in Dubai and didn't tell
Me there's 2 airports, refused to reimburse me and charged me the price of a first class to get home. Never flying qatar again. My mum swears by emirates, am from Australia so I try to support qantas but I also liked air Canada's customer service
>>
>>1242124
phone use is banned by china so their carriers have to follow that law
>>
File: jack.jpg (153KB, 900x806px) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
153KB, 900x806px
>>1232070
Saved for further use!
>>
>>1232185
Amtrak is great going from New York to Boston/DC/Philly/Pittsburgh but it is essentially useless everywhere else.
>>
>>1241767
He rented a car in a city with serviceable transportation, so he's clearly retarded.
>>
>>1230669
>>1230811
>Alitalia

You're not going to fly them anytime soon again, neither will anyone else. They're going bankrupt.
>>
>>1232070
Is this an attempt at a new pasta?
>>
is nobody here afraid of flying?

I'm trying to rid my fear of flying since I'm going to be flying from california to paris in june

I am scared shitless, especially when it gets dark outside and the plane is dark. I can't sleep on planes either
>>
>>1239495
yes...shit

veryyyy shit
fucking gulf air...fucking company i worked for booking cheap shit......
>>
>>1242124
I had a cancelled ticket from etihad. Found out when i got to the airport.
>>
United international flights had tv screens on the back of every seat, ok legroom for economy, and all the free beer I could drink.

Downside is no water dispenser, staff being stingy on water (I drink 4 liters a day, and they would only give out one cup at a time) and since you can't take a water bottle on, I was dependent on their service.
>>
>>1242306
Of course you can take your own water on board, you just have to buy it or fill up the bottle in the bathroom after the security screening.

I think you have planes confused with restaurants.
>>
>>1242184
Nothing will happen. It is unlikely that there will be a mayor problem. The plane is flown by a good trained man and a computer. And if there is something I trust it is a computer and a man controlling its functions.
>>
Hey guys. For FRA - HKG

Lufthansa A380 or Cathay Pacific B777
>>
>>1237597
Im starting from FRA so why would I go to LHR just for this idiotic amount of layovers, if there are flights to HKG from FRA?
>>
>>1242342
Previous airlines I flew with had water dispensers which I was able to fill empty water bottles up with. In some countries (China in my case), you cannot bring a full water bottle on board, and it's confiscated at the entry ramp. Also, plane water systems, especially sink water, are generally not the best sources of water.

And considering food and drink service is literally part of your ticket, they are a restaurant of sorts.

Also, fuck you.
>>
>>1242184
I think I saw you in three other threads.

Are you that guy who has a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to study in Paris, and you can't take meds because it makes your anxiety worse?
>>
>>1239495
I've flown economy with them when I was stationed in Bahrain. It's nothing special but it wasn't bad. I'm not a big critic
>>
>>1242420
Both are fine. Pick the one whose alliance miles suit you better.
>>
>>1242699
That would be Lufthansa but with Cathay I have a 12h layover to visit Hong Kong and Lufthansa only gives a 3:45 layover which is too short to visit the city and pretty long for waiting in the terminal. Still could use the miles tho...
>>
Emirates Airlines is my only pride in being an Emirati desu. Would love to do upper security work for them.
>>
This might be a very dumb question but, i have an 11 hour flight on Air France from Paris to Shanghai, i don't speak much French other than the very basics, is that a problem?
>>
File: dubai ski.jpg (62KB, 639x565px) Image search: [Google]
dubai ski.jpg
62KB, 639x565px
>>1243315
>my only pride in being an Emirati

Oh come now. You have an indoor ski slope, that's not too shabby.
>>
>>1243960
Well i bought my fucking flight thinking it was Air France but find out its "operated by" China Eastern Airlines, so its a China Eastern Airlines right?

Fuck, how bad are they? I'm not a whiny person, i just need a seat and food, but can i really not sure my phone or tablet?
>>
>>1243960
It's only a problem if you plan on speaking to people outside of airports & tourist traps.
>>
>>1243990
It's a "Codeshare" flight. Meaning that one or more legs of your flight(s) is indeed operated by China Eastern. You are effectively riding in a China Eastern airplane, operated by China Eastern pilots.

They are notoriously bad. So much so that on my last trip, they were my cheapest option, and the next cheapest was about a $200 difference. That extra $200 I spent was more than worth it, let's just say that.
>>
>>1243995
How bad exactly, how bad can a flight be short of them actually abusing you?
>>
>>1235289
lol this
>>
Anyone ever flown Condor? Anyone ever flown LOT?
>>
Weighing in on my recent trip with Emirates and Cathay Pacific. I was suppose to fly with Cathay but my connecting flight got cancelled so they put me on Emirates from JFK to BKK, and I rode Cathay Pacific on the way back.

Emirates: Great experience except for the unfriendly gate agents. My flight from Boston (was suppose to be JFK, diverted because of weather) to Dubai was half empty, I had an entire row to myself which was amazing. Service was great, food was really good, free drinks, etc. Great entertainment options.

Dubai to BKK, on a full A380. My first experience on one of these, and boy will I try to fly on them from now on. You don't feel anything, turbulence feels like a light rocking instead of jolt. Same great service and food.

On the way home I flew Cathay Pacific:

BKK to Hong Kong - Boeing 777, okay flight, mediocre food. I really expected more after all the great reviews. Nothing special about the flight, and was an older plane.

Hong Kong - JFK- Newer 777-300. It was nicer than the previous flight, but the other people on the plane were so annoying. Mostly Chinese people. Coughing without covering their mouths, playing music, lady next to me elbowed me every 3 minutes even after asking her to mind her space, then she put her feet up on the seat in front of her (someone was sitting there). The airline was fine, but damn the people on the plane sucked.

Overall Emirates is probably my new favorite, followed by ANA, then Cathay. I know I am slightly biased because of the people on the plane, but it seems to be a common trend on Cathay from what I have heard.
>>
Does anyone have any experience flying Asiana airlines? I bought a ticket to Hanoi for this July. Should I be worried?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17GbGmDORwk
>>
Is it normal that translatlantic flights with airlines like AA, United, Delta, Lufthansa etc. are super expensive? Like 2000 bucks one way for economy. That just seems like way too much for me, you can get flights for maybe 250 with other airlines. Are they really that pricey or am I using their websites wrong?
>>
>>1244050
Flew with them yesterday from korea to china. It's not bad but nothing special as well. Enough room to sit in the plane as well
>>
>>1244097
Overseas one way tickets are often much more expensive than return tickets. It's just the way airlines work; google it and you'll find articles explaining why they do this. If you're being a Real Traveler (TM) and going where the vacation vibe takes you, buy a return ticket that allows you to alter the return date for a small fee.
>>
>>1244028
Seconding Condor.
I booked this and I'm wondering what I'm in for. Going from MCO to Bosnia
>>
File: IMG_20170308_120102.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_120102.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I prefer EVA to ANA honestly. Much better service on Y anyway.
Flew F on JAL and it was great.
>>
File: IMG_20161220_130945.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161220_130945.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1244028
I flew VCE-WAW-JFK on LOT. They're okay. Only flew with them because I used miles and wanted to see what the 787 was about. Turns out it's the same as any Y product. 4 crying babies though for 8 hours though. Terrible. A bit better than AA food and service wise. They fall far short of the Asian carriers though.
>>
>>1240336
Just flew them. For anyone wondering

>2.5 hour flight
>served refreshments (drink only) once
>flew 738-800

Pretty uneventful flight, didn't lose my luggage or anything. Stewardess was hot.
>>
Korean Air is my favourite that I have flown. Any of the major US Carriers are the fucking worst. I know United are a fucking meme now but seriously all the fees and lack of service is terrible. You are a major carrier so fucking act like it. Don't get me started on the compounds posing as US airports as well.
>>
I'm going to be flying from Europe to the US a couple times a year. Is there an airline that's recommended for frequent flying?
>>
>>1244957
It does not matter at all. Unless you fly for work, chances are you will not hit any status on airlines. You should just figure out what airline uses your airport as a hub, then fly exclusively that alliance. Crediting your miles to the airline that flies your airport. I fly EVA/ANA and credit them to United.
>>
>>1244963
I actually am going to be flying for work. (I'm a remote worker, visiting the office every so often.) What difference does that make?
>>
>>1244977
all of the status credits (what gets you perks/bonuses) expire yearly so you have to fly a shitload to reach the next tier and then you get it for a year then you have to match or exceed that just to stay at that level

otherwise it just resets and drops you down after 1 year
>>
>>1244992
Not sure if I'll be able to fly "a shitload", but I'll look into it. Thank you!
>>
>>1243999
No on flight entertainment (16 hours from shanghai to New York mind you). Food looked and tasted like dog food, stewards served food (this includes just refreshments) 3 times total.

Horrible flight, however I have extreme flight anxiety so I was more worried about not dying, that being the case it all worked out good.
>>
Just flew on EVA, it was pretty nice meal and blanket for flight that was only 3 and a half hours. Gave me more bread when I asked but had shit ice tea.

I'm about to fly on Cathay pacific glad see it's ranked highly, is it nice?
>>
>>1233543
I've flown Turkish a few times now. Always has decent to great food which surprised me since I'm a very picky eater.

I've also had the misfortune of flying Pegasus Airlines (also based out of turkey) and I gotta say avoid this at any cost. Easily the worst airline in the world short of maybe North Korea
>>
>>1240338
shortcuts are the proper use of words among physicians
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.