[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best build for travelling the world? Main backback/daybag? One

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: backpack.jpg (34KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
backpack.jpg
34KB, 620x470px
Does anyone have recommendations on luggage when backpacking? What types of backpacks/bags should I buy? Is traveling light and minimalism a good aim? What of:

One bag?
http://www.onebag.com/

No bag?
http://kk.org/thetechnium/travel-without/
>>
File: 151323_1_1.jpg (44KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
151323_1_1.jpg
44KB, 500x500px
I've been traveling around the world for the last 17 months. I listened to all of the minimalist crap, but when the reality of packing what I needed came around, I ended up starting with a Osprey Farpoint 55 (15L day pack + 40L main pack IIRC).

Pretty soon after I started the trip, I got annoyed with the fact that I was spending so much time trying to cram everything into there, and was so limited on what else I could add to the pile when I needed it.

So I ended up upgrading to pic related: 20L day pack, 45L main pack. And for me that was the perfect size.

Most people that you see actually out there in the real world have pretty massive backpacks. 80L+ is really common. The fact is that it just doesn't matter too much, apart from the short walk from your transportation to the hostel/airbnb/whatever.

You keep a small, comfortable day pack to carry about during the day and store your valuables while in transit, and keep a bigger one to store your clothes and other random stuff.

What I'd suggest is making a minimal set of things that you absolutely need to bring for your particular trip (skipping the "nice to haves" when possible), then bringing home a few bags of different sizes from REI to consider. Pick the smallest one that you can pack it all into and still have a little bit of room left over, and then return the other bags.

The people talking about bringing along <35L total worth of stuff are sticking to a single climate, not bringing much clothes (i.e. smelling like shit or doing laundry constantly), and not bringing much nicer stuff for when they're outside of the backpacker bubble.
>>
>>1229401
>http://kk.org/thetechnium/travel-without/

Autism: the travel style
>>
where do you even buy this stuff? i'm thinking about doing a back-packing like trip, but i already live in the middle of nowhere and don't know where to shop
>>
>>1230636
(((Amazon))) if all else fails.
>>
>>1229401
One backpack, big, but not huge t prevent you from taking too much unimportant shit. One main space and one pocket, no more and no less. And *very* important - the backpack needs stripes hanging from your arms, which you can grab. This allows for doing something with your hands, so that they don't just hang or stay in your pockets ( maybe it's just me, but keeping hands in my pockets with a backpack on makes me assume very uncomfortable position)
>>
>>1230636
Amazon, just look up and compare prices for shit.
>>
>>1229401
Traveling as light as possible can turn into a bit of a pissing contest amongst some backpackers, perhaps as a reaction to the stereotype of clueless teens carrying comically large mountaineering packs in urban areas. I'd suggest you keep your focus to what is more convenient to you rather than trying to maximise your backpacker cred.

Regardless you need a main bag and second bag, the tradeoff there is that more robust daybags will take up more space, whereas lightweight stuff bags (e.g. those little gym bag things) are less comfortable and secure.

Personally I find size is a more important consideration than weight. Anything under 15kg shouldn't be a problem; obviously ceteris paribus lighter is better but you'll either not be carrying it long enough for it to matter, or you'll get conditioned pretty quickly. Size however is important - the bigger the pack, the harder it is to squeeze into a cramped minivan or crowded subway carriage etc. Keeping it under carry-on size can be handy if you're doing a lot of budget carrier trips but otherwise doesn't give much benefit.
>>
>>1230640
>>1230660
Thanks, but i really want to hold the stuff and check them out before buying and shipping back if i don't want to buy it
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.