[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, somehow I just persuaded my boss to give me 7 weeks off in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

File: Trans-Siberian Railway.jpg (265KB, 1000x360px) Image search: [Google]
Trans-Siberian Railway.jpg
265KB, 1000x360px
So, somehow I just persuaded my boss to give me 7 weeks off in one chunk next year, so I can fulfil my dream of travelling the Trans-Siberian Express train from Moscow to Vladivostock.

Have any of you Anons done the same journey? I need infos on any and all aspects of this, from cost to what to do and expect en-route
>>
>>1229175
IDK dude. Go drive and look at the North Korean boarder, take pics. You can probably lie to people and even say you've," Been to North Korea," if you want to have an interesting story to tell. For when you get in Vladivostock.

Maybe see if you can get into N. Korea, who knows.
>>
i'd like to do the same once too. It can be great journey. Last year i saw a lot of threads about it here.
t. russian
>>
>>1229175
I think it's a senceless wasting of time. I don't know why foreighners want to have a train trip by Trassiberian railway so much. It is slow and boring way to cross the country. The only part of the way that is actually worth to visit is Round-Baikal rwy (between Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude), but the best part of that raiway from Slyudyanka to the north now is almost defunct and has only 2 cars tourist train from Slyudyanka to Port Baikal. And something interestin is in Urals. The rest is the same as you can see taking 2 hours commuter train ride from Moscow to Tver, Kaluga or Ryazan. Same landscapes, same towns, same villages, same half-abandoned industrial zones, same railroad infrastructure and railroad exclusion zone. Russia has so many locations worth to visit but Trassiberian rwy isn't one of them as for me. I do not dissuade you from this matter, but still think, do you want this?
t. another russian
>>
File: IMAG1054.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1054.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
Just got back two weeks ago from doing the Beijing-Mongolia-Moscow part of the Trans-Mongolian / Trans-Siberia.

Don't miss it, just don't.

My Grandfather and I did it first class but if you go in the Winter most of the train was empty and we would have been better off booking a second class car.

Pic related: Novosibirsk
>>
>>1229253
Nice try russia. But you can't fool me.
I will reveal your transsiberian secrets.
>>
>>1229175
Holy fuck that journey looks terrible. I've seen videos where the people are hot as fuck (temperature wise) and all they do all day is drink
>>
>>1229253
You are just a self hating globalized cuck that can't see the worth in his own country. So sad.
>>
>>1229599
I once traveled from Moscow to Omsk by train and agree with another Russian anon above. It's totally not worth a week for the Trans-Siberian journey if you want to see something interesting.
Take a plane to St.Petersburg, spend couple of days there, take a train to Moscow, spend there another couple of days, then fly to Irkutsk, go to Baikal and then fly to Vladivostok. It will be much more interesting.
Sitting in a train for a week, looking at the same view outside? Well, it has it's own charm, you'll have a lot of time to think about yourself, your life and to read a bunch of books, but don't expect to see something astonishing except the road around the Baikal lake, as another anon mentioned.
>>
File: somewhere else in russia.jpg (956KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
somewhere else in russia.jpg
956KB, 3840x2160px
I took the train from Helsinki to Hong Kong and did the trans-mongolian in the middle.

When I realised I was going to be on one train for 88hrs (Moscow-Irkutsk) I was dreading it, but it actually turned out to be the best part of the trip. Just waking up every morning not having a clue where you are or what timezone you are in, having vodka with your breakfast porridge, going on an adventure to the dining car walking through several carriages of russians who would stare intensely, trying to have conversations with locals using about 5 mutually intelligible words, queuing up to buy instant noodles and instant mashed potato, walking around the stations in the middle of nowhere during stops and sampling the platform food, I loved it. Time has a different meaning inside the train. Aside from being unwashed, you won't want to get off when you arrive in vladivostok. I took a couple of books for that journey but didn't even touch them.
>>
>>1229599
I love my country as much as I cannot agree with time wasting for TSR but not for Caucasus, Altai, Kamchatcka, Baikal, SPB, Moscow, Golden Ring, Russian North, Kola peninsula, etc. Russia has locations you cannot see anywhere else, truly unique, but 1 week supidly spent in a train? You serious guys? Even for me, a trainfan, that's a too thick.
>>
File: 20160523_140719.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160523_140719.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
The Trans-Siberian railway is very high up on my list of upcoming trips.

I still can't decide if I want to do the entire Trans-Siberian stretch from Vladivostock to Moscow or the Trans-Mongolian railway from Beijing to Moscow with a stop in Ulaanbaatar. If I did the Mongolian stretch I would start in Hong Kong with an excursion to Macau and a stop in Shanghai before going to Beijing to begin. Along the trip I would stop in Mongolia, Irkutsk, and one other Siberian city. I'd finish it off by going from Moscow to St Petersburg.

Does anyone have an estimated cost for the trip? That's one thing I can't really find online.

Also, I've ridden Ukrainian trains for 42 hours straight (without a dining car or anyone who could speak English) and that was pure misery so I'm curious to see just how Russian trains differ.
>>
>>1229175
>give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
https://www.tutu.travel/poezda/rasp_d.php?nnst1=2000000&nnst2=2034137&date=03.04.2017
>>
>>1229642
>Aside from being unwashed
There's an ancient Russian craft of washing your whole body in a sink. Trains are perfect place to learn it.
>>
File: 19%20(7)[1].jpg (333KB, 1200x788px) Image search: [Google]
19%20(7)[1].jpg
333KB, 1200x788px
>>1229666
Estimated a half of russian rwys trains are quite modern and comfortable, but another half is the same as ukrainian rwys use. Last winter there was news about Kirov-Moscow train that goes with broken down heating system, with snow inside, etc. However, trains are rapidly renovating. I often use Moscow-Yaroslavl express and it has not big differences with any train in Europe though.
>>
>>1229604
Of course if you just take the train for a week that's pretty stupid lol

But I wonder about taking a train and stopping at the smaller cities, imagine a 2 month long journey along the railway. Maybe for you as a Russian it's not very interesting but to me seeing those place would be so really cool. I mean who's really been there? Especially those random places after Ulan-Ude.

Of course a trip to Atlai mountains, Caucasus and Kamchatkha is more interesting from tourist highlights but I think it would be a good way to get to know the country
>>
File: Baykal-39[1].jpg (226KB, 1130x750px) Image search: [Google]
Baykal-39[1].jpg
226KB, 1130x750px
>>1229687
>But I wonder about taking a train and stopping at the smaller cities, imagine a 2 month long journey along the railway.
Well it's already much better bro. Yaroslavl, Kostroma, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Khabarovsk could be very interesting to visit. And surely you must have a trip by old Round-Baikal railway, one of the best railways in the world, truly golden chain of russian iron belt. Cutted in sheer rocks right by the water, passing through numerous tunnels and bridges it is really wondering.
>>
File: stolby_(11).jpg (883KB, 2288x1712px) Image search: [Google]
stolby_(11).jpg
883KB, 2288x1712px
>>1229698
The coolest city for me along seems to be Krasnojarsk. Stolby National Park looks cool. My grandparents went to Lake Baikal in the 70s and still talk of it.

>tfw you wanted to take a trip from russia to china after graduating in 2018
>tfw world cup will make it impossible

Anyway I think the journey would be way cooler in winter. Probably 0 tourists at all and some beautiful looking winter locations
>>
>>1229175
Funny that cars on the pic look like ukrainian railways use because of it's color scheme (blue with yellow strip). Russian railways cars old livery is dark green with yelow strip and new is light grey-red-dark grey corporative colors.
>>
>>1229642
sounds comfy af
>>
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiVr0nyFADA
>>
File: the_way_to_travel.jpg (291KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the_way_to_travel.jpg
291KB, 1440x1080px
I think some of you people ITT don't understand why someone would want to take an 88 hour train trip. I would like to do it myself. It's not about the scenery. It's not about the destination. The trip is the destination. I think there's no other train trip that long that you can make in the world. Sitting in a train for several days seems like quite the experience.
Some people travel for the destination, and that's ok. Some of us travel also for the trip. I love long train trips. I live in Barcelona and used to visit friends living in Madrid. I never took a plane or high-speed-train. I took a regional train that takes like 9 hours to get there, using 40 year old EMUs. And when I arrived, I was sad that the trip was already over. I've travelled to switzerland using a regional train, night train, HS train and again regional train, taking about 20 hours for a trip I could make by plane in less than 2 hours.

I think some of us simply like being on a train. It's a nice sensation. You keep moving but in a very steady way, unlike when you drive a car or ride a bus.

The transsiberian seems like a little caravan on rails, a modern-day wagon train. You get comfy and simply enjoy the rocking and clacking of the train. I can't imagine a more enjoyable way to travel. Distance means something, you really feel like you've travelled a nice chunk around the earth, from Europe all the way to asia.

I dream of one day taking the train all the way from here to China, visiting Hong Kong (and riding the tramways), then taking a boat over to Japan... and back again. Sadly I'm a poorfag and it's not going to happen anytime soon. A man can dream, though. A man can dream...
>>
>>1229747
You sound like a huge autist and that's exactly how I imagined Western Transsiberian-railway travelers to be.
>>
File: normies_leave.png (606KB, 617x561px) Image search: [Google]
normies_leave.png
606KB, 617x561px
>>1229750
an autist on 4chan? STOP THE PRESSES
>>
>>1229225
>Maybe see if you can get into N. Korea

You can't, not from Russia and I don't even think you can from China
>>
>>1229747
I took a 16 hour train ride across Ukraine in the 3rd class sleeper car.
In some ways it was absolutely terrible, but I do look back upon it with fond memories and part of me would like to do that again.

It was absolutely amazing to wake up in the Carpathian Mountains, winding through foggy mountains.
>>
>>1229253
>I don't know why foreighners want to have a train trip by Trassiberian railway so much

it's a relic from soviet times, it used to be hard for westerners to go to russia, but the government let them spend a bunch of money to ride the train, they weren't worried them being spies and getting of the train in krasnoyarsk

>>1229747
>I think there's no other train trip that long that you can make in the world
toronto-vancouver is around 100 hours

if you like long distance travel should look into amtrak, us government subsidizes it so it's pretty cheap, over a month you can do new york-new orleans-los angeles-seattle-chicago-new york on a $700 pass
>>
>>1229850
>I don't even think you can from China

Koryo operates out of China which is their tourist "company." As long as you follow the itinerary and don't anything stupid than the obvious won't happen.
>>
>>1229253
I kinda second that, I haven't done it *maybe one day when I'm old), but it seems a waste of time and staying a week on a train is maddening (I once travelled for 2 days and I was going crazy, though it is of course more comfortable than on a plane). Why not go to Vladivostok, than to Novosibirsk and Baikal and on to Ekaterinburg and Moscow by planes is beyond me, you'll save a lot of time. Maybe throw in Barnaul and some nice nature around it.

another Russian
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.