[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Glendale, CA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ShowImage.jpg (178KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ShowImage.jpg
178KB, 1280x1280px
This isn't really a travel question but I don't know where else to ask...

I've been offered a job for Disney in Glendale, CA. Can anyone tell me about living there, or around there, and where I can move to for the best value and easiest commute?

I've heard nightmares about traffic there, and while I've visited LA many a time, it's normally on the weekends, and closer to the beach.

Thanks ahead for any advice.
>>
>>1228853
Glendale isn't horrible it's just a bit boring. Not a lot of nightlife. It's famous for having a bunch of Armenians but there's a lot of Asians there as well. It's really not a bad place, not too far from downtown or Hollywood. How much is your job paying? You might be better off in North Hollywood (noho district- where I'm at), Studio City, or Burbank (also a bit boring). Somewhere North of LA might be a good option as well- Echo Park, Atwater Village, Eagle Rock, Highland Park. That area is quickly gentrifying though some of it might be shitty and cheap and some of it might be too expensive already while still being shitty.
>>
>>1228911

I'll be making somewhere between $75-85k. Not totally sure yet (currently negotiating).

What are those areas like cost-wise? I'd love to save what money I can, but I don't want to be in a shitty area. It's tough for me, since my entire house right now where I live is $1200 a month, and a 1 bedroom seems like it's going to be at least $1500 in CA.
>>
>>1228853
Disney has offices in Glendale.

It's a nice neighborhood. There's fairly decent grocers, although a very er uh, sometimes hostile bro culture among some people. I'd think I could raise a family in Glendale and be happy about it.

Weekends are traffic light. Weekdays are another story. But traffic in that region (as long as you're not commuting to West LA is not bad).
>>
>>1228950
$1500 for a 1br will get you a decent place $1900-2k. and you can get a modern, nice 1br with a swimming pool and gym probably. Whats your take home on 80k? About 4.5k a month? Could always look for a roommate and you can save some money living in a 2br depends on your standards. Even for $1500 a month you can live in a decent neighborhood. All the ones I listed should be OK.

What department are you working for with Disney? I know a lot of employees and former employees at the Glendale office. People either tend to love it or hate it there.
>>
>>1228981

I don't know what my take home will be with California taxes, but in Vegas I take home about $4k a month on 65k, so I'm assuming you're about on the money...

I'd be in digital marketing. Anyone you know do that? Why did they hate it?
>>
>>1228983
I'm not sure about digital marketing, I've just heard Disney does a lot of shady shit with their employees, like forcing them to train their Pajeet replacements for 3 months or getting instantly fired. Had 2 friends get laid off (I think they worked R&D) cause their entire department was shut down because Shanghai Disney went way over budget. They also cut hours to employees working at the parks out here for the same reason.

My GF works with the digital marketing team at Disney sometimes and they are always trying to undercut costs, etc. I think she hates working with them I can get more info later.

But I do know other employees that absolutely love it there. Just be prepared for people that worship Disney like it's their church.

Oh and if you're ever thinking about owning property maybe stay in Vegas. I've thought about trying to move there for that reason. How do you like it there?
>>
>>1229186

Yeah, I own property here so it's kind of painful getting rid of it to move to Cali. But Disney would kinda be a dream job. I worship Disney a little myself, so it's a great fit for me.

I like it a lot in Vegas. Plenty to do whenever you want to do it, but suburbia is close to the fun and pretty damn safe. The cost of living is super cheap. You can do things 24/7, too.

Any info you can get about their team would be awesome.
>>
>>1228853
If you don't mind OP, what job did you get? Did you apply through website normally or some other way? What was the interview like?
>>
>>1229303
Didn't find out much except for advertising agencies they hire they are a bit cheap and will look for undercutters. Not really a big deal.
>>
>>1229329

I don't want to say the exact position, but I saw the job online, and then ended up reaching out to a friend of mine that is a recruiter for Facebook that knows a recruiter from Disney, and she helped set it up.

Since I don't live there, it was kind of a gauntlet. Phone, Skype, came in for an in-person.
>>
>>1228853
Is it realistic to own a home in Nevada and commute to work in California four Plus hours every day?
>>
>>1231147
Why would you want to?
>>
>>1231191
Taxes?

I have no doubt you'll reassemble after I have had you to bits!
>>
I'm an LA native and I tell everyone to stay the fuck out. It's too fucking crowded. I live in the harbor area and I want to commit murder every time I go north of the 91 because the traffic is so bad.
>>
>>1228853
glendale has traffic because there are cops everywhere, be careful if you drive
that's probably because of the significant armenian population
just be careful with the armenians, ok?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.