[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hopping to the Falklands?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Falklands-War-656284.jpg (65KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
Falklands-War-656284.jpg
65KB, 590x350px
>In the USAF
>Stationed near a UK base which regularly flies to the Falklands, according to Wikitravel

Is it possible to hop there? I know it's possible to hop places on US flights. Once I'm there, how would I get from Mount Pleasant Airport to Stanley, if I could even do that in the first place? Tbh I'm just interested in British history and want to see the war memorials, but all the tours I see are over 10K because they take you all over the islands and to Antarctica to look at nature. Maybe there's a cheap tour that'll take me from Mount Pleasant airport to some old memorials. Would love to see the Islands before they're transferred to Argentina, which I feel is going to happen eventually.

>tldr can an American in the USAF stationed at an RAF base hop an RAF flight to the Falklands?
>>
>>1228761
>which I feel is going to happen eventually
I don't want to turn this into a political discussion on 4chan's Greatest Board, but they fought a genuine war for them, less than 40 years ago. Ain't no-one gonna peacefully hand them over.

Anyway. It *might* be easier for you, as you're on actual allied Nato service. Civilians have a hard time getting on those flights, but you might be able to.
>>
>>1228762
Which is why I'd really like to check it out, it's nearly impossible for me to do this as a civilian. And yeah, I don't want to turn it into a political discussion, but I'm going to war memorials around here and talking to veterans, the Brits have a sad history of forgetting their wars or saying they weren't noble. I've met some Rhodesian vets who say they got kicked out of Remembrance Day, so now they do it in private.

The way I see it, most British people don't seem to care about them now, but Argentina never stops pushing the issue. It could be a while but it might happen.
>>
>>1228761
You know you can fly there from Punta Arenas for $700 round trip right? I researched a bit and everything there is private land so if you want to do camping you need to ask them. It's apparently not that expensive.

>>1228762
There's already terror attacks, civil war isn't far off. Non-British are growing each year, once the "UK" needs to dedicate more forces to upholding peace on their island is the moment the Argies are going to strike. Not today, not tomorrow, but in fourty years when Europe is in the shits they will attack.
>>
>>1228766
Flights from here to Argentina are over 1000 GBP, plus the flight from there to Stanley, plus the cost of the rental - if I can find one.

Turns out to be pretty expensive, and also the flights are only weekly, I think. I've heard the British flight stops over for a day in Ascension Island for maintenance and refueling, which would be cool too.
>>
>>1228768
I'm bored so I checked prices, if you go in October you'd be paying 700 Pound to get from London to Santiago, Santiago to Punta Arenas and back plus 600 Pound for the Falklands flight would put you at 1300 pound.

A bit expensive but I think it'd be worth it.
>>
>>1228770
Thanks for the info, I'll keep it somewhere. I think my priority now, being new to getting stationed in the UK, is mostly to learn my job for sim months to a year, and start asking around. I'm sure there's going to be a Falklands vet somewhere, or a proud British patriot who knows more about it. There's also agencies on base that help with travel. They already said it would be possible to point me in the right direction, but I didn't want to settle on a date yet.
>>
I would like to go to the Falklands Islands as well, although I've heard it becomes terribly boring very quickly.
>>
>>1228773
What is there to do anyway? See the penguins and then? Would the locals be interested in you? Would it be easy to fuck a Falklander girl? Imagine having a girl from the island, that must be the ultimate bragging right.
>>
>>1228775
Maybe the women there would be happy to fuck a foreigner since they probably don't get too many visitors.
>>
>>1228773
I'm fine with boring. Went to London recently, but unless there's something specific to do, I usually prefer riding through the country

>>1228775
War memorials are interesting to me, learn the history, find a pub and chat with the locals. I don't sleep around when I travel, it's not brag-worthy to me.
>>
>>1228782
>War memorials are interesting to me
Instead of going to the Falklands, you could spend that money instead (and probably be better off) on trips to Normandy and many other places in Western Europe.

However, your position right now might make it very easy to visit the Falklands if you really want to go there.

Personally, I think the old WWII memorials built during the times of Yugoslavia were really interesting:
http://www.cracktwo.com/2011/04/25-abandoned-soviet-monuments-that-look.html
>>
>>1228803
Those are on my list for sure, but it's easier now to visit the Falklands than it would be any other time in my life, plus a trip to Normandy could be easy to do for $50 over the weekend.

There's something alien looking about the Falklands landscape that I love, too.
>>
You can fly to Stanley from Argentina or Chile for cheap. You don't need to book a tour to see the islands unless you want things in a more organized fashion as other people are suggesting but meet a local that can show you around instead, someone you can possibly stay with
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.