[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Norway General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: norway-1.jpg (764KB, 2999x1799px) Image search: [Google]
norway-1.jpg
764KB, 2999x1799px
Hello all.
I am planning a trip through the fine nation of Norway in April.
I will land in Bergen and stay with friends for a few days before taking the train to Oslo to stay with family for weekend.
I will then fly up to Kirkenes for a few days staying with more family.
I like the outdoors and plan to pack gear including a bivvy bag to hopefully spend some nights under the stars.
I like culture too. Any suggestions for museums in Bergen/Oslo?
Any foods I should try? Or any other general tips from locals?
Cheers ladies and gents
>>
>>1228734
Kirkenes is really, really far north (and east). It's 12 hours of driving away from the place in your photo, for example. Check out this article:

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Finnmark
>>
>>1229244
I'm gonna fly from Oslo to kirkenes. I am Gonna stay with family up there. It sounds so crazy and remote which interests me. Thanks for the article very interesting
>>
>>1228734
I'm Norwegian, AMA

>Museums in Oslo
There's a lot of museums in Oslo, the Munch Museum (to Norwegian painter Edvard Munch of "The Scream" fame), the Fram museum (to the Fram ship which Nansen used to sail to the Arctic), the National Gallery and the Viking ship museum to name a few. For specific interests, there's also the Armed Forces museum, Jewish museum, a museum of contemporary art, and the Norwegian Folk Museum. If you buy an Oslo pass (http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/) you get free access to that + loads more, plus free public transport (bus, tram, metro, boat AND train inside Oslo). The price seems high, but knowing prices in Oslo, you'll save a lot if you plan on doing a lot here.

>Other in Oslo
There's the Akershus castle, Royal castle (tours must be booked in advance), the Storting (parliament) and if you're interested the 2011 terrorist attack, the main building of Regjeringskvartalet, which houses an information centre. Walk along Akerselva (10 km of river going through some of the best neighbourhoods of the city, through old industrial areas), take the boat out to Hovedöya ("Main Island") and see old monastery ruins or just relax and escape the city life, or walk on the Opera House roof and enjoy the Barcode buildings, a series of funky residential and office buildings being built on the seafront. North of Oslo you also have miles of nature, though not like in your pic related, mostly woodland and lakes. The neighbourhood of Grünerlökka has plenty of cafes, bars, parks and the like, and is generally a nice area to hang around in. The Grönland neighbourhood is rather "multicultural" if you want to check out/avoid that (it hasn't really got anything for a tourist if you ask me).
>>
>>1229270
>Bergen
Long time since I lived in Bergen, so I can't offer much advice on museums and the like. You should check out Bryggen and the Bergenhus fortress, and if you like the outdoors, hiking the "seven mountains" around the city should be ideal. Walk up "Stoltzekleiven" for a real leg workout. There's also a cable car to the Ulriken mountain and a funicular to the Flöyen mountain.

>Practical advice
Norway is expensive, but you can save money if you're smart. Don't go out and drink, and don't eat out. Buy food from supermarkets (the brands "First Price", "Rema" and "Extra" are cheap but often equal in quality to ordinary brands). Food to try, tbqh, I'm not big on "traditional foods". I know there's restaurants which serve whale meat and other typical "Norwegian foods" if that's your thing. Norway has a fairly unique law, "Allemannsretten" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam), which allows anyone to camp wherever the fuck in nature they want. Thought you should know if you want to camp under the stars. Get away from big cities and the view will be fantastic. I was camping in winter under a new moon and no clouds in Etne (literally bumfuck nowhere), and seven years later I still feel a sense of tranquility when thinking of that starry sky. Up in Kirkenes, if you get away from the "city", I imagine the view will be similar if you're lucky. Also keep in mind what the above poster said, distances in Norway are pretty huge. Also, trains and buses have a tendency to stop at literally every milk ramp along the way. The train from Oslo to Bodö takes about 18 hours, and that leaves you at approx. your pic related.

Sorry for two long posts, hope you got something out of it at least. And just ask if there's more you want to know.
>>
>>1229270
First of all thanks so much for the info mate. Great stuff took a screenshot of it all. Seems to be so much to do in Oslo! I am going to slowly read and research your suggestions. Was also wondering about if there is any cultural things I should watch out for? Id hate to be an offensive foreigner. Is discreet wild camping acceptable? What's the drinking like? I am bringing whisky from back home (Scotland) for the people I am staying with. Thanks again pal
>>
>>1229272
Oh wait just seen this second post. Ignore my questions
>>
>>1229272
This is a really excellent couple of posts. Fantastic insights. Really making me glad I booked this trip. I worked on an oil rig in dock in Haugesund and was shocked at how beautiful the journey from Stavanger was. Anyway thanks dude. You've given me a lot to think about and research
>>
>>1229277
>>1229278
I'll answer anyway. Don't be afraid to ask questions, I spend all my spare time on 4chan anyway.

>Id hate to be an offensive foreigner
Norwegians aren't that different from the rest of European culture, though we can be perceived as "cold" compared to others. We don't talk much, and we don't greet each other unnecessarily. Don't say "hello" to shopkeepers and other strangers unless they greet you first, and don't ask "how are you?" unless you are genuinely interested in that person's life. We don't think of it as a greeting in Norway, but a question. We also do weird shit, don't be offended if your Norwegian friend just leaves e.g. a party without saying goodbye or do other things considered socially awkward in an otherwise Western culture. We're not that loud either, not even when drunk. Many Americans for example yell and shout even when they speak, that would likely be the biggest faux pas here.

tl;dr: Avoid unnecessary shouting, otherwise we're not that different, and unless you and/or your friends are retarded you won't have any issues.

>What's the drinking like?
Excessive. If you're invited to a house party, you and your friends will likely crawl home. Because of alcohol prices, people usually have a pre-party at someone's house before going out, so that they're properly drunk even before going to bars and clubs. Don't bring that whiskey bottle to one of those pre-parties, or you'll be sharing with everyone.

>Is discreet wild camping acceptable?
The general rule of thumb is "within 500 meters from a house or road", though it's a gray area, even in the law. You CAN camp on someone's private property if that property is 100 acres of woodland, but not in someone's garden. Likewise you CAN'T camp on public land next to a highway. But it's not the USA, people or cops won't chase you with their shotgun screaming "GIT OFF MY LAWN", but will most likely be considerate and polite towards a foreigner who fucked up.

>>1229280
You're welcome.
>>
Has anyone flown with Norwegian Air's long haul airline? Their airfares into the EU from the west coast are too good to be true.
>>
File: ATK_6494.jpg (500KB, 1185x720px) Image search: [Google]
ATK_6494.jpg
500KB, 1185x720px
>>1228734

Reminder that this image is fake as shit. This is what it really looks like.
>>
>>1229434
Once, to Thailand. I had no problems, but they do have a reputation for delays that can be several days long.
>>
>>1228734

>gonna stay all the tiem with local friends or family
>asks for "tips from lcoals on the internent"
'k
>>
>>1229441
fucking lol
>>
>>1229441
Was gonna say, it looked shopped. Who the fuck photoshops a picture of Lofoten anyway?! It's already picturesque as fuck...
>>
>>1229441
>>1229441
Looks better like this anyway IMO
>>
File: travel_photography_photoshop.jpg (101KB, 844x434px) Image search: [Google]
travel_photography_photoshop.jpg
101KB, 844x434px
>>1229606

I don't know, but I've seen it too many times.
>>
>>1229926
left is accurate.
>>
>>1228734
I'm in Oslo right now, don't really know what I'm doing. I'm from England and only speak English, any tips on how to get work here without speaking the native language? I've been thinking about maybe kitchen work or photography, just some ideas but I have no idea how to go about getting a job.
>>
>>1229441
No, this is the real one
>>
>>1230361
You can't. Even when speaking Norwegian it's hard. The oil prices fell, and literally thousands lost their jobs in the offshore business. Unemployment is rising, and our incompetent government is unable to create new jobs. As a foreigner you have VERY little chance of finding a job here, sorry man.
>>
File: 1490755223366.jpg (62KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
1490755223366.jpg
62KB, 320x371px
>norway general
>no one mentions the best city in Norway (Ålesund) or the glorious /out/doors buffet of fjords, mountains and forests
>lol guise i just arived from pakistan to oslo HOW TO GET GIBMEDATS
>>
it is quite some time away from now, but I'll be visiting Norway for a summer school in August.

It'll be in Oslo but I have no idea where to start on information about Norway.

I heard it's great for hiking, which I am kind of into but not a real pro at. I did an easy trip in France last year for a week hiking with a backpack and a tent.

>sorry for being a lazyass and asking here for stuff I can also find online but I don't know where to start tbqh senpai

will report back tomorrow because I need to sleep
>>
I'm planning a trip with to Norway in late may and would like to know if it possible to sleep in tents in early summer without the risk of freezing to death.

We are particularly interested in hiking and visiting fjords so any tips regarding specific places to visit are appreciated.
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 450x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 450x470px
>>1230526
>alesund
>best city
>>
File: IMG_0652 copy.jpg (698KB, 1073x604px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0652 copy.jpg
698KB, 1073x604px
>>1228734
Go to voss and the small towns around, Voss itself is boring but the places around are absolutely lovely. Easy access to a lot of fjords.

>pic related is 20 min drive from voss + 20 min hike
>>
File: ATK_5175.jpg (391KB, 1087x720px) Image search: [Google]
ATK_5175.jpg
391KB, 1087x720px
>>1230607

That pic is Aurland, for those interested. I did the hike up to Presten in September. Fantastic view. This hike was three hours, though. The ascent is nearly 600m.
>>
Oslo is a great city - just make sure to get off the tourist trail. Many farmers and inbreds in Norway hate on Oslo because they are scared of places with more than 10 k people and they only walk down the main street and buy overpriced beer.

Best places to check out:

- Vulkan area and the food hall there
- Emmanuel Vigelands Mausoleum
- Bygdoy in the summertime
- Tjuvholmen and Barcode for modern architecture
- Grunerlokka for drinking and eating

Eat:
- Kamai, Kontrast, Lille Saigon (vietnamese), Kolonihagen

Drink:
- Crow Bar for beer
- Torggata Botaniske for cocktails
- Tim Wendelboe, Stockfleths, Supreme Roastworks for coffee

I fucking love Oslo, its such a great city once you know where to go.

Other places:

- Western Norway, especially around Geiranger/Trollstigen for insane, insane views

- Northern Norway and Lofoten for the craziest most beautiful nature you will ever see.
>>
>>1230547
Sure, it might be a bit chilly, but nothing to worry about as long as you bring enough clothes. Its a beautiful time of the year.

Of couse, if you are planning on tenting in Lofoten and Northern Norway you might be in for a snowy surprise even in May/June
>>
>>1230361
Hard rock cafe hires foreigners. Dont think you need to know norwegian
>>
>>1230547
Late may you might be unlucky up here in the north. A couple of years back we had 1 meter of snow about that time
>>
>>1230531
https://www.ut.no If you press the button up in the right corner you can get it translated for tons of hikes all over the country.
>>
Is there much to do in Norway in winter? I'll have a spare week of time to travel around christmas time in which I'm half considering going to Norway for a week or so, but I just don't know what I can do and the state of public transport in this period.

Obviously there isn't much outdoors to do, but there are a few cities I wouldn't mind spending a few days in like Oslo and Trondheim.

Is it worth the effort, or is travelling in winter just too hard?
>>
>>1231559
I wouldn´t say its too hard to travel during winter. We have some ski resorts, snowmobile rental. If you´re considering traveling by train or plane during christmas I would book everything way in advance. What other places are you considering?
>>
>>1231662
Germany/denmark/Netherlands. I'm an australian spending some time in the UK, but I was thinking of trying to get to a few other places whilst I'm there. Being winter, I'm just not sure what kinds of things I could do are, and i'm not into skiing.

Yes I know its a cold region, I just don't want to be in a situation where I'm stuck in a hotel all day then just drinking at night, for a week.
>>
>>1231559
The coastal ferry runs all year without any problems. By mid-February, when I took it a few years ago, Bergen and Alesund were rainy, and Trondheim was snowy.
>>
>>1231559
Public transport in Norway is very extensive. You'll have no trouble getting around - and do some winterstuff, get up in the mountains, do some skiing, eat some elk in front of a roasting fireplace.

Maximum comfy
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.