[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best country in the world for hiking? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

What's the best country in the world for hiking?
I'm not asking what countries have the best scenery/wilderness. I'm taking other factors into account.
For example, New Zealand is great because it combines true wilderness with a comprehensive backcountry hut system which anyone can access (for a reasonable price)
Scotland is good because you can camp anywhere legally.
Italy is good because there are so many edible plants growing wild.

Basically, what are the X factors which make a country good for spending time outdoors?
>>
File: DSC_0061.jpg (2MB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0061.jpg
2MB, 3920x2204px
>>1228684
I'd say Norway, but i might be biased because i've lived here my whole life.

Pros: True wilderness, Turistforeningen which has a wide variety of huts around the country accesible for everyone, beautiful scenery. And Allemansretten, which is the right to roam (https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/travel-tips-a-z/right-of-access/)
Cons: The weather can change drastically, cold winters. Mosquitoes in summer.
Would also like to add that while southern, western, mid and northern Norway is fantastic, Eastern Norway is way more urbanized, and the nature there might be seen as boring (fields and forests, basically it).

pic related, took it during a hike a couple years back, around and hour drive from Stavanger, and couple hours walking.
>>
>>1228684
The USA, easily.
There is a strong hiking culture, easy to find anything you need, and there are a wide variety of locations and climates you could choose, whatever you're looking for it's hear somewhere.

If not for nature or hiking I wouldn't even bother to visit other states, fortunately we excel at that.
>>
File: 000000000000000000000.jpg (882KB, 2506x1575px) Image search: [Google]
000000000000000000000.jpg
882KB, 2506x1575px
>>1228684
America, the Northwest is some of the best hiking in the world, my personal favorite is the saw tooth mountains in Idaho

Aside from the US, Patagonia is also a very fun place to hike, speaking spanish also enhances the entire thing too
>>
>>1228684
>For example, New Zealand is great because it combines true wilderness with a comprehensive backcountry hut system which anyone can access (for a reasonable price)

Fucking what?!

Haven't heard of Nepal, huh
>>
>>1229556
When's the best time to hike in Norway?
>>
File: e vidette.jpg (1010KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
e vidette.jpg
1010KB, 1224x1632px
>>>/out/

but objectively, it's the u.s.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_trails_in_the_United_States
>12 1000+ mile trails
>8 more in development
>dozens more from 104-883 miles
>any terrain you want
>highly developed trails
>cross country trails

and there are the virtually uncountable number of shorter trails.
>>
90% of canada is crown land which means as a canadian you're allowed to camp for free there for 21 days, the only problem is most of this is remote to the point of inaccessibility and there's a chance of dying

>>1229779
in northern canada it's around september-october, probably the same in norway
>no snow and little mud
>mosquitos have died out
>reasonable day-night cycle
>>
>>1229892
The US has similar rules with USFS and BLM land, only we have a 14 day limit before you're required to move camp (at least 5 miles iirc).

The amount of public land available for dispersed camping in the US is nearly twice the size of Germany.
>>
>>1228684
Anywhere where there are mountains, because mountains are the X factor.
>>
>>1229914
How do you know about this? Do you have a link with further info? .
>>
A lot of places in the US are popular hiking destinations for a reason. There's beautiful scenery everywhere here, and there's also a wide variety of places to see. You can go into Death Valley to experience hot fucking desert. The Grand Canyon is a must see if you're ever in the Southwest. Yellowstone is beautiful no matter the time of year. You can hike in the Pacific Northwest, or climb the mountains in the Ozarks. The Adirondacks in Upstate New York have some great views in the summer time. Seriously, come to the US if hiking is ever what you want to make a vacation out of.
>>
>>1230054
Seconding this.
>>
File: 100528.federal.land.jpg (414KB, 1434x932px) Image search: [Google]
100528.federal.land.jpg
414KB, 1434x932px
>>1230054
>>1230124
know what? about dispersed camping? or area?

dispersed camping is allowed in all the yellow and light green areas on this map, plus most of the dark green. though the dark green and some high traffic areas in the light green (most of the eastern sierra, for example) have quotas for the high season.
>>
File: europe-us-overlay-map.jpg (82KB, 618x405px) Image search: [Google]
europe-us-overlay-map.jpg
82KB, 618x405px
>>1230133
and for size comparison this is how big we are relative to europe
>>
>>1230133
>>1230134
Cool, thank you.
>>
File: 1347983669005.gif (61KB, 300x321px) Image search: [Google]
1347983669005.gif
61KB, 300x321px
>>1228684
this is not even debatable.

It's fucking Nepal. If at all you could mention other countries in the himalayas because of the scenery. But they tend to be a bit more complicated from the burocracy perspective.
>>
>>1228684
Patagonia of course

No people and no lethal wildlife like bears, snakes, spiders

Plus you can camp wherever you want, no authorities that will make you pay
>>
Most of the things said in this thread are mostly correct.
Hard to really put one country over another because different people are going to prefer different things but countries with a right of roaming, camping and/or vast amount of land that are hiker-friendly like canada and the US west coast are going to be in the best tier of countries.

Norway
Canada
West coast, US
Switzerland
NZ
Scotland
Sweden
Chile --36 national parks, extremely diverse climate like atacama driest desert in the world, patagonia, glaciers and fjords, mediteranean climate and alpine terrain, volcanoes, 9 thousands km of trails. Chile is going to become a highly sought after tourism destination during the following years no doubt obout that.
Nepal
>>
>>1231112
Why just the West Coast?
I hear the Appalachian Trail is great.
>>
>>1231120
pic related and >>1230133
>>
>>1230054
It's public knowledge and the BLM and USFS publish it on their websites.
>>
Nepal. In the middle of the Himalayas, the biggest fucking mountains in the world. Go from subtropic jungle to Highest peaks in the world in under a few hundred miles.

Cheap as fuck too. 15 USD a day is all you'll need. You can trek in the mountains for weeks on end staying at lodges along the way.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.