[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I dream about it, anons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: index.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
I dream about it, anons
>>
>apply for job as emt at mcmurdo station, not expecting to get it
>offered position
>ohshit.jpg
turned it down, never a second of regret since. fuck being cold for 6 months
>>
>>1228478
When I was in Usuhaia they offered trips for $5,000 starting. All the extra activities were crazy expensive though, like $750 for kayaking or skiing. Personally I'm more interested in seeing the Falklands, South Georgia and Shetland Islands. Would love to see Elephant Island. The Shackelton expedition runs $12,000.
>>
>>1228479
wtf dude you should've gone, not many people get opportunities like that
>>
>>1228478
Me too
>>
>>1228497
if i was single, maybe, but i'm married, and 6 months away from my wife doesn't sound like a great time. plus i get pissy below 65 degrees, and mcmurdo's internal temp is kept at 57, and external averages significantly lower,..
>>
how many ancient civilizations buried under the ice /trv/?
>>
>>1228478
You can go from South America for like 3000-5000. Apparently you are on a boat for a week and every day they take you to a different location. I'm gonna do it one day.
>>
>>1228478
Almost finished my geology degree, will move into research and keep my eyes open for any opportunities to go. Australian, so there are plenty around too.
>>
>>1228479
What position? I've been trying for like 3 years, but as I don't have a degree in the sciences I'm basically stuck trying to get a job doing mechanical work, and there aren't that many positions available.
>>
>>1228653
emt

when i applied i had about 5 years experience as a paid call firefighter/emt
>>
Don't dream too hard, now
>>
>>1228478
When I lived in Tasmania trips to the Antarctic could be had for as low as $6000 for a 3 week trip. Of course you have to get to Tasmania so you're looking at $7-8K which is not unreasonable considering all the expenses.
>>
>>1228724
Not the guy you were talking to there but,

Funnily enough, the Antarctic Fire Dept just sent some pictures/a letter to my firehouse. I am a FF/EMT in a major city and I guess the chief of the Antarctic Dept grew up around the corner from my firehouse.

I checked out their website, wouldn't mind doing a Summer or Winter rotation there. I bet the pay would be awesome and I bet its easy for a FF to get with the cute science girls there.
>>
>>1228951
>I bet its easy for a FF to get with the cute science girls there
ah, yes. everyone knows that remote scientific stations suffer from a disproportionally high percentage of women.
>>
>>1228953
Haha good point. Still, I think McMurdo has a few thousand people at it so there has to be some girls.
>>
>>1228954
it also means that many more guys to compete with.

though being a seasonal employee in a field completely unrelated to theirs so they don't have to worry about meeting again professionally does make you a better fling candidate.
>>
>>1228604
>mcmurdo's internal temp is kept at 57
Wow, did not know this. One of my favorite things about the cold is going inside and getting warm. Well that sucks.
>>
>>1228951
There's fires in the Antarctic?
>>
>>1228985
not often, but it's insanely dry there, so when something goes it goes. and with the extremely limited resources down there (that people's lives rely on more than most other places) they must be protected aggressively.
>>
>>1228951
>I bet its easy for a FF to get with the cute science girls there.
There's a kind of pecking order, pilots are at the top followed by scientists. The more PhDs you have, the higher you rank.

I knew a guy who worked at McMurdo in the warm season and he said that it was funny to see the grad students fawning over overweight scientists when the fit mechanics weren't getting much play.

It's not universally true but the brains gets more play from the cute young things but the female helo mechanics and such hook up with pilots etc. I'm not sure where FF would fit in but probably above mechanics I guess.

>>1228985
>There's fires in the Antarctic?
Cold environments are dry environments, if something goes up, it burns quick and being outside unprepared will kill you (not instantly but losing a habitat is a big deal). There's also not so much liquid water.

He's an article he wrote about life there. He wrote a bunch of others that you could read if you felt like it.
http://everything2.com/title/Antarctic+hygiene
>>
>>1228478

Me too, and I want to set foot on the mainland and cross the antarctic circle. Some random island with penguins isn't gonna cut it.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.