[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had 25k...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: 36r.jpg (532KB, 2000x1000px)
36r.jpg
532KB, 2000x1000px
I got around 25k Euros saved up and was thinking on going traveling around the world. The problem is that I have no idea where this kind of money could take me.

Also, where would you go?
>>
I'll echo this thread..
Just turned 29..
Got almsot 50k saved up..

Wondering if I should legit take a fucking year off to travel..
I'm thinking
6 months in central America..
maybe months in South East Asia..

I'll probably never have a chance again

How cheap Is living in South East Asia?
>>
>>1228023
I traveled 13 months around South America, spent probably 25k in total.

Don't believe the meme that traveling is cheap, the best experiences cost money.
>>
>>1228054
I could probably do central America for pretty damn cheap dude..
Maybe 400 a month
>>
>>1228051
I did this, and I'm just about to go home after a year and a half now. I say go for it, if you have the balls to actually go through with it then it's absolutely right for you. Most people think about it and never do it.

Don't ask stupid questions like budgeting here, you can find that elsewhere. 4chan is good for stuff about the reality of fucking locals/whores and finding out how over-hyped a place is, as well as calling you on bullshit ideas.

In terms of budgets just keep in mind that most people that post details online do it pretty much the cheapest way possible. They'll take buses 100% of the time when possible (including night buses which are awful for lots of people), stay in the cheapest hostel dorm rooms 100% of the time, eat at the cheapest possible street food place, avoid taking uber... all of these things make your life just a bit harder and it kind of sucks after a long time of it. With 40k you can indulge yourself sometimes as long as you track it.

SEA is a much more interesting experience than central america in just about every way I can imagine. The only better thing about central america is that it's feasible for you to learn the language, and thus integrate into the culture a bit more.

But SEA and central america are roughly similar experiences, backpacker-wise. You'd be better off spending 6 months in SEA and then some time in Africa, South America, Central Asia, or Eastern Europe depending on what you feel like at the time. Or maybe you'll just want to stay in SEA for a whole year, you won't know until that time.

Get the book Vagabonding, read it carefully, and then start planning.
>>
>>1228054
it's not a meme, simply different people enjoy different things. I am lucky to have the greatest fun with literally 0 money and I'm calculating that OP's cash would allow me to visit every country in the world, spending at least two weeks in each, visas and flights between continents included. But since he asks this question here I guess he wouldn't have the fun I would
>>
>>1228103
you can live like a king in SE asia with $1000 a month.
>>
>>1228105
What kind of things you enjoy while traveling? I mean not to pry or anything just a honest question
>>
>>1228103
buy a 4x4/camper and just drive it around the world
40k is more than enough.
>>
>>1228106
*not including health insurance
*not including the money you spent on travel gear
*not including the money you will spend to replace broken stuff
*not including the doctors appointments to get the stomach worms out of you due to only eating street food
*not including your plane ticket to and from the destination
*no money to do cool excursions
*no money to hire a guide
*no money to fuck hookers
*no money to go scuba diving
*having to stay at the cheapest hostels
*have to move very slowly
*only travel between places is by bus
*not including the shame you feel when you can't go on a big night partying on bangkok's rooftop bars

I met a couple of you fedora travelers and they were just like I expected them to be.

If you want to backpack then keep a budget of $1500 per month and forget all those stupid "muh travelin so cheap if i don't mention that i lived worse than a homeless back home" memes
>>
>>1228111
he ask about the cost of living, not traveling.
you can rent a villa with a pool for $600 a month in thailand.
>>
Go to NYC, London, Tokyo. Those are great places when you have some cash. Throw in some beauty like Colorado, Iceland, New Zealand and some Thailand. I think that'd be an interesting line up for a world trip. At least that's what I would do.
>>
>>1228107
Challenges, human interaction (you know, like talking to and learning from actual, real humans living their lives. Not ever-smilling hotel staff for example), nature and strange situations. And trust me, not having the cash is like the highway to the strange situations.
>>
>>1228054
2k/month isn't exactly expensive considering apartment and food is like 1k even if you're not travelling.
>>
>>1228113
>you can rent a villa with a pool for $600 a month in thailand.

I don't believe you. Citation, please.
>>
SE Asia very good Vietnam and Cambodia cheap
>>
>>1228143
i had a condo in chiang mai that was $270 a month
that included free wifi and gym access.
the problem with you morons is you fall into tourist traps.
do you seriously think locals pay $50 a night for accommodation? stop being retarded.
Furthermore, you can buy a full meal for $1.50 if you eat where the locals do.
I was living comfortably for $600 a month (all in) in thailand.
>>
>>1228179
isn't there like some (truly marginal) difference between a private pool and a gym access?
>>
>>1228189
Yeah, about $330 apparently.
>>
>>1228179
>i had a condo in chiang mai that was $270 a month

Super. Wonderful. You had some shit condo that had a couple cheap extras included. But that wasn't what you claimed/were asked about, was it?

>the problem with you morons is you fall into tourist traps.

No, the problem is with morons like you who make hugely exaggerated claims -- "villa with swimming pool for $600/month!!!" -- and then try to change the subject by spouting RealTraveller® bullshit when asked to put up or shut up.
>>
File: Pattaya_nightlife4.jpg (507KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Pattaya_nightlife4.jpg
507KB, 2400x1600px
>>1228179
>I was living comfortably for $600 a month (all in) in thailand
Well, if not being able to afford sex, alcohol, or pretty much everything besides decent food is living comfortably, then good job for not demanding much out of life. Basically what this guy >>1228111 said
>>
>>1228321
That's three times the average salary in my country, and I'm not even in the third world, people live normally with that here. Did Thailand just hike up prices for retarded foreigners or something since so many Americans come there or what? Because I'm pretty sure you could live for $150-250 there just fine a few years ago.
>>
>>1228327
>in my country
and what is your country?
>>
>>1228330
I would guess it's a 2nd world country like Romania or something
>>
>>1228401
no, Romania doesn't have salaries this shitty. They earn at least twice as much. I don't think you can go this low in europe. Kyrgyzstan, maybe?
>>
>>1228435
Ukraine is probably the poorest country in Europe atm
>>
I would put a down payment on a house so I wouldn't be paying rent.
Then I would spend maybe 3k on a cheap trip in south America or SEA
>>
>>1228475
I would also do this, but I imagine that if OP has savings at all he's in a very different financial situation than I am
>>
>>1228453
that's right, but then again their situation changed abruptly recently and it's not like they can live on any reasonable level with what they get now. And he said it's normal for him
>>
>>1228475
>>1228486
But wouldn't that mean buying a house? That's a long term commitment, I suppose it depends oh how long a person would stay in that country
>>
>>1228453
People always ignoring the existence of Moldova... *sigh*
>>
>>1228327
>That's three times the average salary in my country, and I'm not even in the third world

I hate to break it to you famalamadingdong, but if the average monthly salary in your country is $200/month, you live in a 3rd world country.
>>
how do i live in bangkok for $500 per month all in? i feel like an idiot paying $600 just for a condo in bangkok when the locals probably pay way less
>>
>>1228321
alcohol isnt that expensive in places like thailand. and if you need to pay for sex you're just a sad cunt
>>
>>1228868
if you're getting pissed about a couple hundred bucks you need to figure out how to make more money
>>
I guess everyone is aiming at SEA
>>
>>1228873
> if you need to pay for sex you're just a sad cunt

Fucking hookers is fun as hell sometimes. Go try it.
>>
>these people talking about traveling the 3rd world for several months on 25k, 30k, or even 50k
>tfw you did western and eastern europe for 18 months on about 14k
>>
>>1229722
Tell us more about it anon, I'm actually curious
>>
>>1229722
winter included?
>>
>>1229722
Because you worked or lived as a hobo.

We're actually talking about enjoying ourselves, not just being in another place.
>>
>>1229751
some people don't like drinking and whores, you know
>>
>>1229184
How?
>>
>>1229787
Those people sound pretty damn boring then
>>
>>1229814
you sound boring to me as well, so I guess we're even
btw what is the actual difference of drinking at home versus abroad?
>>
File: 20160628_212328.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160628_212328.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1229748
June 2015 - December 2016
So yes, winter included

>>1229732
>>1229751
I'm American but I have dual Euro nationality so that took care of any visa and extended stay questions. I had a room that I rented in Berlin for 300€ a month and later a room in Kiev for 60€ a month. I stored all of my belongings there and used it as my hub of operations. Berlin has a large Ryanair, Norwegian, and Easyjet base as well as a large coach terminal and many railway connections right smack in the middle of Europe.

While traveling I stayed in hostels and met many people whom I would befriend and would often invite me to visit them in their home countries. I even made a few friends from /int/ as well, believe it or not. This cut down on accomodation costs for several trips. Thanks to budget airlines I flew as cheap as 2,99€ in some instances. I don't like taking advantage of people but when they hosted me they almost always insisted in covering my food costs and other expenses. As for hostels, it's not difficult to find many that cost >10€ a night in Eastern Europe. I try to be /fit/ so meal prepping and being conscious of what you eat helps with cutting food costs. I did party, visit sites and events, and I did do excursions so it wasn't all just about going places. Oh and I'm 21/m if anyone is wondering.

All in all I averaged about 750€ a month. Some months I didn't leave Germany and some months I traveled more than others so the costs really varried. I became fed up with uni so I decided to fuck off to Europe until the money ran out and today I'm back home. In the end I picked up 2 new languages, visited 18 countries, and made many life long friends. Best time of my life.
>>
>>1229856
>In the end I picked up 2 new languages
Fuck off lying sack of shit.
>>
>>1229857
Obviously German because I lived in Berlin for so long and then French because I was interested in the language and my flat mate was from Belgium. You can add me on Duolingo if you'd like.

You must be a monolingual who thinks it takes 5+ years to learn a language.
>>
>>1228868

outskirts. I was living in the outskirts for $200 a month while teaching.

(Rat Burana)
>>
>>1229860
>Duolingo

Duolingo-level is not "picking up a language". I could see German if you actually forced yourself to use it instead of relying on English though.
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (10KB, 243x163px) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
10KB, 243x163px
>>1230415
Well of course you won't become fluent with only Duolingo. I only said that because I'm level 20+ in both languages which is better proof than coming up empty handed.
>>
>>1229813
i don't know you. you need to figure out your talents and how to sell it to people. with the internet it's alot easier to find those people
>>
>>1230415
German is super fucking easy when immersed, i went to study in Salzburg for 6 months knowing very basic German, and thanks to friends i made, i left being able to hold normal conversation in German
>>
>>1230702
>6 months

That's actually a pretty long time for immersion. i think it's harder in a country like Germany where practically everyone speaks some level of English as well.

When I was in Colombia I picked up enough Spanish to hold a regular conversation in about 6 weeks with some trouble, and after another month it was really easy. Purely because I was forced to use it constantly to get around and get laid.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.