[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flight Cancellation Fees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: burning money.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
burning money.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
Halp /trv/,

I'm doing a road trip across the US with my father in late April to visit his brother in Tennessee (I live in California). The original plan was to drive out there, spend a week, I would catch a flight home, and he would drive back. I booked a flight last December with American Airlines while the rates were still decent. Because of some recent health concerns, my father can't make the return trip back solo so I'll be helping him drive back now. I figured everything would be okay with just cancelling the flight, until the person I spoke with said that there was a $200 cancellation fee. Da fuq? I mean, I'm essentially being charged to no longer fly with them, which seems absolutely ridiculous. To me, it's like purchasing a movie theater ticket and then not going, so the theater charges you for not watching the movie. Anyway, am I just screwed on this? They say they will give me credit on the cost of a new ticket for the original purchase price, but I have no upcoming flights. I just want to be out $179 I paid for flight and be done with it, not $179 + $200 fee.

Pic related, it's what I feel like I'm doing.
>>
>>1226419
My friend did the same thing. He had to pay AA $200 to salvage a net $50 credit on a future flight. The tickets you guys bought were non-refundable. You also didn't opt for trip insurance, which I'm not sure would've helped you here anyway.

I agree that it seemes ridiculous, but airline reservations are already crazy. I wish the entire experience can be less painful and annoying.

I thought the $200 cancellation fee is to get credit for what you already paid. I believe you can just walk now and just eat what you've already paid. That's how I understood it.
>>
Y'all are fucking idiots.

Let's take >>1226432 as an example.

The guy paid $250 for his original flight. The airline removes $200 for a "change fee", then gives them a code for $50 off a future flight within 1 year.

OP, how in the hell do you think they're going to charge you $200 extra dollars just because you didn't show up to the flight? No, you're not going to get money or future credit back. But no, you're not going to get charged extra either.
>>
>>1226432
Yes, somewhat same scenario but I don't want the credit, I just don't want the fee. I have travel insurance through the credit card I used which offers the same benefit as the add on and it's usually just for death or illness related claims.

>>1226449
Yea, that's what I thought too, until the rep I spoke to said otherwise. Cancellation is consider a change and incurs a $200 fee. I imagine that if I don't cancel and just don't show up a magic $200 charge will occur on the credit card I used for violating their terms and conditions. Which is crazy, because it's like a paying for a hotel room and then they charge you again because you didn't show up to use it. I'd love to just be out the original cost of the ticket but I doesn't seem that easy.

I'm thinking of sending AA an email, any ideas on how to approach it?
>>
>>1226450
I mean, I don't think anything will help you, cause you seem like you cannot grasp the very basics of logic...

But why would you ask anything from the airline?

If anyone can help, that's the insurance people at your creid card company. That health concern - try to sell it as illness to the credit card company, if you can.
If not, just read at least some of the terms and conditions you accept before you buy anything the next time.

Why would you be charged extra for no show omg... Gotta be a troll. Got your cheap ticket, just let it go, don't start to make up rules that don't exist.
>>
>>1226450
If you're that paranoid, get it in writing. Email customer service asking if you don't make your flight if you'll be charged.

I don't think the hidden city tickets goers get charged.
>>
If you just don't show up for a flight, they don't charge you any extra. They can't do that. You don't have to cancel, that is just if you are trying to get credit or something back or a change.

You just don't go and you lose the price of the ticket....that is what happens when you buy a non-refundable cheap ticket.

Your credit card company will not help you, and trip insurance would not cover it either.

You are not required to cancel a flight you can't make. You can buy an extra ticket on a flight just to have an empty seat next to you if you are rich and feel like it. Just go about your business and write off the 179 as shit that happens.

My advice is that if you are going to buy tickets way in advance, pay the extra to get ones that you can change, or figure you save enough by going cheap that you are still ahead when you have to eat one every once in a while.
>>
>>1226450
That makes zero sense. Call again.
>>
Stand on the corner of Jane and Finch at 4 AM someone will get you
>>
>>1226450
Its more of an extra revenue stream, plus a hedge against unsold inventory. unsold seats = lost revenue. You're pretty far out though, so its very likely they will be able to re-sell the seat.
Dealing with AA res agents? good fucking luck. They have very little leeway when it comes to bending the rules, and can actually get in trouble for not going "by the books" Try customer service, and hope you get a former America West Employee. (some still work there since AW became US and US became AA) I waived probably 3 change fees today alone, because they seemed unreasonable and I can. (dont work for aa sorry anon.)

Although it will be tough to come up with a compelling reason this far out.
>>
>>1226544
It's perfectly with in their rights. You know those long lists of terms and conditions you neglect to read when you sign up for a service? It's in there somewhere. You should have been notified on your e-ticket receipt what the specific rules of your fare are. DOT has gotten pretty strict about disclosure in the past few years. So airlines will CYA, we cant force you to read it though.

This is what you bought, this is what AA is legally bound to, and god help you if you purchased through expedia or priceline or lowest fare. Then its almost worth it just to burn the 200 rather than deal with their people.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp
>>
>>1226843
It's within their rights but it's not what actually happens in the real world. OP is a fucking moron.
>>
>>1226948
Like I said dude, I waive change fees all day long, because the customer has a compelling story or I might just be in a good mood that day. Im grateful I have that freedom. Most agents dont, especially frontline AA employees. Depending on the permissions of their log ins, it might be technologically impossible for them.

I dont work for AA, but I am familiar with their reservations agents and their reservations software. You'll get nowhere calling their res line.

OP is far enough out where he might get somewhere with their customer service people, but the odds are against you. AA collects millions of dollars in fees a year. It's just how they do business, and its an industry standard.

And yes, the reason you get charged fees for cancelling/switching flights is revenue integrity. It prevents, or offsets, the cost of someone holding a reservation without taking it, because airlines could sell that to someone else.
>>
That was the trip I went on last year. Everything the same except my dad and I were coming from tennessee to California. Be sure to go to the grand canyon if you haven't already and go down route 66. It's fun at night because there is almost no one on the road and when you do see headlights, they are visible for what seems like ages before you meet the car. I had so much fun on that trip.
When you get to tennessee, if you are going past exit 163 look up piney canoe camp. I love that place and if you like the outdoors it is amazing. It might be a little cold in late April but it's still fun and beautiful.
Anyway I hope you and your dad enjoy your trip.
>>
>>1226986
I understand the idea of charging a change fee, but is there really a cancellation fee?

>book a cheap non-refundable flight for $180 6 months out
>1 month later, don't need the flight
>call to cancel, eat the $180, free up the seat

Will they actually charge me $200 for this? I'm getting confused here.
>>
OP here

>>1226986
>It prevents, or offsets, the cost of someone holding a reservation without taking it, because airlines could sell that to someone else.

I've purchased the ticket already though; shouldn't it just be the lost cost of the ticket that I'm responsible for? Whether my butt is in 24C or not the seat has been paid for, that's why it makes no sense to me that they're adding on a fee.

>>1226994
Thanks Anon! I actually went to college in Flagstaff and we're spending some time there so I'll make sure to add that in.
Also, to the anon that keeps calling me a retard, I'm well aware of the point you are trying to make, but the ticket is a contract and fees writen into it don't just disappear just because I want them to be that way.
>>
>>1227068
The answer is apparently yes with AA, you do get a fee
>>
>>1226986
You aren't reading closely enough. This is OP's belief:

1. He paid $180 for a ticket.
2. He decided he no longer wants that ticket, and calls to cancel that.
3. He is being told by the agent that he will have to pay $200. That is, he will need to give the airline 200 EXTRA dollars just for the privilege of not having his ass in the seat. On top of not getting credit towards future flights.

Or, imagine you're an hour late to your flight. Of course you won't get a refund or credit for your ticket, but OP is alleging that you'd be charge $200 on top of that as well. Just because the seat is empty.

>>1227506
I've cancelled a day before a flight before on AA, there is no such fee. The 200 is deducted from the cost of the flight and you get the remainder in the form of credit. If your flight cost less than 200, you get 0.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.