[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work and live in Europe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2526.jpg (112KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2526.jpg
112KB, 570x380px
Has anyone from /trv/ moved to Europe to work and live?

What is the best way to do it?

I'm born in Europe in Bosnia but live in Canada and would love to move back to Europe but Bosnia just seems a poor choice economically. Also not in the EU so that doesn't help my case for working in other EU countries!

I have a Canadian university degree in finance and speak English, Serbian, French and Spanish fluently.

What do you guys recommended I do?

I don't like the north American lifestyle and just want to live and work in Europe. Preferably Barcelona.

Also this can be a general for any others with similar questions

Thanks!
>>
>>1226412
Go to the country of your desire on a working holiday visa for a year and try to find a place that will offer you a working visa (not just for a holiday) for a permanent position.
>>
>>1226412
>Preferably Barcelona
Pick a country that doesn't have a 50%+ youth unemployment rate.
>>
>>1226414
Any resources I can use for finding jobs in Europe?

>>1226610
Which country would you recommend?
>>
>>1226616
Off the top of my head, Switzerland.
>>
>>1226412
Pity you didn't learn italian, Italy has one of the most lax set of citizenship requirements I've ever seen. You can claim blood relative status as far back as your grandparents. My GF and I were both americans until we found this out, after years of wrangling and getting translations proving her heritage, using services to collect birth certificates and so on, she just went to pick up her italian passport today. We got married last year in no small part to share that citizenship, and after 3 years I'll have a passport of my own.
Until then, I have permanent residency and access to medical care which is pretty amazing as an american.
>>
>>1226639
I spent a week in Italy last year and loved it. I definitely can't claim Italian heritage though. But would love to learn the language and live there. Amazing country.
>>
(not OP)

i've lived and worked abroad as a TEFL teacher in a few countries in Asia and have other travel experience. hoping to move to the EU later this year.

getting a job teaching ESL in Eastern Europe shouldn't be too hard (OP, almost any fuckwit with a degree in almost anything can score a work visa for an ESL job if you are from an English-speaking country - remember that cheaper countries have lower qualifications for employment, and you may have to spend a year working for some obnoxious headhunting company to get your foot in the door.)

however i also have a friend in Finland offering me a place to stay more or less indefinitely, but no work (and Finland probably has zero need for an ESL teacher). so i can get to Helsinki on a 90-day tourist visa and bum around for a while, then go look for an ESL job in a country that might actually need a teacher.

however there's a rule that you can't be in the EU on a tourist visa while your work visa is processing. i can probably manage to bum around outside the EU for a while and wait for it to go through, but might run out of cash that way. some people seem to skip the "can't be in the country for fun while you're looking for work" rule. my question for /trv/ is, how exactly do they pull that off, or is it not a big deal?

i've heard mixed messages about this sort of thing before, and that might be due to different countries having different rules - some people swear that you'll never get an overseas job unless you're already overseas and looking in person, and other people swear that you can't convert a tourist visa to a work visa without pissing off the immigration department (specifically heard this about Czech Republic somewhat recently).
>>
File: 1490084078678.png (886KB, 1360x760px) Image search: [Google]
1490084078678.png
886KB, 1360x760px
>>1226412
first of all bosnia is not part of the EU (neither is serbia)

Second when you have either a bosnian passport of a canadian passport, you simply cannot walk into Europa and look for a job. It requires a pretty substantial amount of money and paperwork to get that done.

Another thing is that in a lot of countries the law requires that companies looks for native local employees only.. Only when they cannot find anyone in let's say in Barcelona, they are allowed to hire someone with a passport from outside the EU zone.

Second I assume you have a Bosnian name/surname.. That makes it even harder as bosnian have a pretty bad name in general (stealing drinking begging on the streets credit card frauds etc etc)
>>
>>1227548
another thing that I forgot to mention is this.

As someone from outside the EU most countries require that you take a private premium health care insure. Otherwise your visa will be rejected. You cannot use the public health care systems. the reason is that people otherwise start leaching the system...Like a Nigerian woman who came to the UK to give birth to 6 children at once, which costed the tax payer over a million..

Private premium health care insurances are pretty expensive. we are talking about 100s per month. in some countries it's even 700 euro per month
>>
>>1227329
you never get a job unless you are actually around already indeed. In for example the UK 200, 300 people apply on the same job... People that already live in London and can come for an interview by tommorrow.. Why would a company hire someone from the other side of the world in that case ? Also companies are unable to determine your background... if you are eligible to work in the UK in the first place. It's a big risk for a company and it might be a big waste of time and money...

in western Europa it's impossible to change a tourist visa into a work visa.. the reason is that otherwise by tommorrow 100 million Africans would pull that trick.

You might get it done in shitty countries like Romania Bulgaria etc.. but remember those are mostly depressing corrupt countries with 200/300 euro a month salaries.. so it's not worth it.
>>
>>1227329
>i can probably manage to bum around outside the EU for a while and wait for it to go through.

Keep it mind that in a lot of countries that proccess takes 8 tot 12 months. For obvious reasons.. to discourage bumming around and leaching the welfar system..
>>
File: ROMANIA.jpg (90KB, 660x320px) Image search: [Google]
ROMANIA.jpg
90KB, 660x320px
>>1227329
I think in most European countries there is 0 need for ESL teachers from abroad...as there are already so many qualified English speaking people here.

It might be that they need those in Eastern Europa.. but again shit salaries and depressing places similar to rural russia..
>>
come to Cracow Poland, if youre form Canada and speak so many languages you will get a job in no time :)
>>
>>1227557

i prefer developing countries to the developed. as i said, i've already done this in Asia. i'm not doing it for the money. if i wanted to live in a nice clean place and make easy money i'd stay here in America and keep the computer job i already have.

>>1227555

i was afraid that might be the case. hmm.

>>1227554

i already have acquired jobs when i was not actually already around so i know this advice is not always true. i wouldn't be trying to teach ESL in England, obviously.

it does seem that the "have a job when you land in the country" programs are all money-making schemes to get you to pay $1000+ for a TEFL class you don't really learn much in and then hope your certificate will be accepted anywhere else. but then they provide "job assistance", which means they get a cut of your pay for locking you into a 1-year contract with someone desperate for teachers, and work visa assistance, which is pretty handy.
>>
File: 1489346327817.jpg (167KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
1489346327817.jpg
167KB, 1280x851px
>>1227588
you might be in for a culture shock.. Remember slavs in general are not like Asians. And the cultures have 0 in common.

a lot of those thing you acquire online in general are scams. And it would not be possible to get that job in the first place logically if you think about it.... If you have no local social security number ?

that process of acquiring a social security number takes weeks if not months. depending on the country. And you need to be physically present to acquire a social security number. Not like you can do that by phone or online.. I've been through that process in several different countries here.
>>
>>1227684
It's not like a company is going to wait 3 months before an employee the hired has his social security number if you know what I mean.

And they cannot let someone work without national insurance number.. otherwise a company risks big fines.
>>
>>1227548
What, Bosnians have no bad name. The most succesfully integrated immigrant group in The Netherlands and Austria, and probably other countries as well.
>>
Go to germany my balkan brother. I live there since 3 years and it was the best period of my life .
Just watch out where u go .
berlin and hamburg are pretty cool.
>>
>>1227548
>>1227551
>>1227554
>>1227555
>>1227557
Don't take career advice from /pol/, it's very common for skilled professionals to be recruited from outside Europe. If OP is serious about this, he will look into what works for his particular profession of finance, one of the most "mobile" industries there is.

There must be a heap of serious books about international mobility for finance professionals.
>>
>>1227557
>I think in most European countries there is 0 need for ESL teachers from abroad...as there are already so many qualified English speaking people here.

The point of native speakers teaching EFL isn't learning the language at a basic level, it's teaching the nuances of the language like pronunciation and idioms.

There's two segments of the population that want to learn the nuances -- elite parents that want their children to sound like native speakers, and professionals looking to advance in their career in English-speaking businesses or facing English-speaking clients.

The former segment is kind of a pain in the ass to work with because it tends to happen in situations like after-school cram schools in Taiwan, Korea, etc. where the kids are tired and don't want to be there.

The latter is something you're more likely to see somewhere like Czechia, and it's much more pleasant.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.