[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Washington DC Mall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: CapitolDc.jpg (351KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
CapitolDc.jpg
351KB, 1024x684px
I'm going to Washington DC this week. I know the Mall has dozens of buildings and art museums and galleries that are free, but my time is limited. Anyone who's been there tell me what the top places to see on the Mall are?

Air and Space Museum for sure I'd imagine
>>
>>1226324
>Air and Space

Absolutely, Natural History is also very good. But really, it sort of depends on what your interests are.

It is worth getting inside the Capitol Building jut to walk through the rotunda if nothing else.

If you get the chance, I really like seeing the various memorials at night, the atmosphere is nice.
>>
>>1226338
Thanks for the reccomendations. I do have tour tickets for the Capitol so that will be nice.

Air and Space is on my list, I'll add Natural History to my list, and I will be walking around both nights I'm there, as long as it's not too cold - I'll only be on foot
>>
>>1226324
The only people who dislike the Air and Space Museum have no souls
>>
>>1226324
Some of the war memorials are interesting if you are into that kind of stuff, I would recommend visiting the Vietnam wall at least.

Thing to keep in mind, outside of the capital stuff DC can be shitty so watch where you end up
>>
2nd vote for national history, esp the geology section.

Library of Congress is very pretty inside.

Not free but I hear the Spy museum isn't bad.

If your ever near the Dulles airport in VA you MUST check out Udvar Hazy Air and Space museum. They have all the real airplanes and the space shuttle in a huge ass hanger. Free, parking is $15 tho. Google some images.
>>
American History is nice too and quite educational.
>>
>>1226324
National Gallery is a must
WWII Memorial is very interesting
FDR Memorial is cool but very out of the way, this keeps the rubberneckers out

I strongly recommend renting the bikes you will see around. I thought i could walk the mall and see everything over the course of two days, but by the middle of the second day my legs were killing me. When you include all the attractions the mall is huge. It's worth every penny to get the bikes.
>>
>>1226430
>>1226514
National Gallery of Art
FDR Memorial will be nice
Library of Congress

cool. I'm only there for an afternoon, a full day, and a morning, so I'll see what I can. DC was too expensive for me to say more than 2 nights

They say the Cherry Blossoms are blooming this week as well, so I hope I get to see that
>>
>>1226324
At Air and Space, one of the tings you will do is walk through a Skylab -- it's in the northern end of the main gallery. Most folks think it is a mockup, but it is actual hardware -- a backup version in case the first went kerflooey during launch.

I am told that the wondeful video of Julia Child cooking "Primordial Soup" is gone -- used to be in a gallery speculating about the possibility of life on otehr worlds. But if you think of it, you might ask a guard if it is still round somewhere -- it was amazing.

In Natural History, you can say something like, 'Wait, this mount is completely wrong! No animal would have hind limbs that are vertical while the forelimbs sprawl like a lizerd! And look, you can see the knees on the front legs are disjointed! What the actual fuck?" If you wait and say that while looking at the triceratops skeleton mounted in the Dinosaur Hall, you will seem like you are really smart and observant. If you say it almost anywhere else, you will just seem like a loon.
>>
>>1226543
They remounted the triceratops to fix his knees some years back. So scratch that from your list of things to say to sound observant and smart.
>>
>>1226543
>n Natural History, you can say something like, 'Wait, this mount is completely wrong! No animal would have hind limbs that are vertical while the forelimbs sprawl like a lizerd! And look, you can see the knees on the front legs are disjointed! What the actual fuck?" If you wait and say that while looking at the triceratops skeleton mounted in the Dinosaur Hall, you will seem like you are really smart and observant. If you say it almost anywhere else, you will just seem like a loon.

> They remounted the triceratops to fix his knees some years back. So scratch that from your list of things to say to sound observant and smart.

damn, I was going a bring a cute girl with me to the museum to impress but now i cant
>>
OP, wear really good shoes. These buildings and metros are farther apart than it appears on the map. So, one of the things you do is find out if any of the temporary exhibitions are really really really amazing to your personal interests. Often, there is something really remarkable that fits your hobby and historical interests.
https://www.si.edu/exhibitions
Also check the Washingtonian magazine to see music, art exhibitions, festivals and other goodies going on.
Knowing about what is on exhibit permanently if you have never been will get you to realize you can't 100% complete any museums given a day in each. So, hit the things you want to do, in a zig zag path and get in and get out. Maybe you want to see all the gems (can't miss!) at Natural History, or maybe you just must see Julia Child's kitchen or the Enola Gay. Know what is where. Afterhours considerations will extend your day, whether you get an IMAX ticket or find something else going on.

The top two crowd favorites? Not free, the Spy Museum and Newseum are pretty nice. I like the relatively unknown Tour with Tea at the National Cathedral.

DC is a food city, so inbetween your time with the Trumps (we know why you're visiting pfft), you should make some reservations to dine somewhere with great food or atmosphere. The list is long at all price ranges. Late night you might enjoy the top of the W with the view down into the west wing. Sunset in Georgetown at Sequoia is pretty.
>>
File: DSC_9355.jpg (1MB, 3924x2616px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_9355.jpg
1MB, 3924x2616px
>>1226819
Speaking of Trump, I did get to see him take off today.

As for food, it's just me walking around the city, and i get self-conscious going to nice restaurants by myself. If my buddy gets out of class tomorrow maybe we can hit up a place, but idk
>>
>>1226809
You can always go with, "Oh, good, I'm glad the fixed the knees FINALLY!"

Say this before you get close enough to read the signage about it...
>>
>>1226821
Oh lordy, everyone eats alone! Just sit down, and you should know it's probably more fine in this city than anywhere else. It'll be fine. There indeed is a Little Saigon community in metro DC, try finding the closest pho, and be sure to get a homemade limeade or creamy coffee. I like Pho 75 (it's great for breakfast too).

My favorite neighborhood to walk at night on Wilson Blvd in Arlington, between the Courthouse and the Ballston metros, either side of Clarendon metro is fully safe and nice, like highest per capita income, no fear, seriously. Good shops, restaurants and such, and if you don't have a car it's ideal. Ray's Hellburger has a good rep, next door could get some huitlacoche tacos and squash blossoms, afghan kebobs (get the eggplant side), lebanese food is to die for, or get a bubble tea at TNR, balkan food. If you want a touch pricier, you can't go wrong at Liberty for good charcuterie. Usually good music at Witlows on Wilson nightly. Trivia night at OSullivans is like watching the best of the CIA one up each other in intelligence.
>>
File: DSC_9509jj_1.jpg (738KB, 4928x3264px)
DSC_9509jj_1.jpg
738KB, 4928x3264px
OP here

Thanks for all the advice guys, I had a good few days in DC. Now to sort through all the pictures and memories
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.