[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you give up your apartment to live in a van and pursue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 11

File: vanagon-3_si.jpg (211KB, 1024x740px) Image search: [Google]
vanagon-3_si.jpg
211KB, 1024x740px
Would you give up your apartment to live in a van and pursue your /out/ passions?
Many climbers live like this.
Anyone else?
>>
I'm *really* drawn to the idea and am in a line of work that is suitable. But I don't think I'll do it anytime soon because 1) I'm not handy enough to build a good setup and more importantly 2) I probably need to right now become more, not less, integrated into society
>>
>>1225655
But believe me, I fantasize about it a lot. It combines my loves of coziness, solitude, and mobility.
>>
I think this is one of those things that only sounds great because it's different from your current life... but beyond a week or two it would get quite lonely and uncomfortable.
>>
>>1225660
How could it be more lonely than my studio apartment.
>>
>>1225641
I want to do this but to satisfy all my needs would be very expensive

i want a reliable class B RV with a small desk/office, decent bed and bath, and maybe small couch

from what i can tell its either
1. pay like 100k
2. pay like 20k and have shitbox that could break down any time
>>
It's a dropout kind of escapism to dream of doing this by GIVING UP your residence. Why not just slap a roommate in there, and do it that way? Because you don't have two dimes to rub together, that's why. You rent. You don't have enough money. You don't have enough money to buy a vehicle that you can also repair and be safe in.

It never works to be poor. It just doesn't. Stop dreaming of things you can not have and work on making your life one that can afford vacations from work, responsibilities and life.

I've seen people do this at points of transition in their lives, like uhh, actors between jobs, people who sold their company and not sure of their next project (rich), people who have recovered from a prolonged illness, people who are minor league/athlete types with a big promising boom coming very soon. But, I tell you, like living on your boat, it gets very old handwashing underwear, showering in a hose or a gym, sitting in a chair driving around (if you wanted to be a truck driver you could have been one), wearing sunscreen and bug repellent daily, only being able to store 1-2 rolls of toilet paper at a time, not buying food in bulk to save money, etc.

Go ahead and get a nice vehicle in nice shape and do a long trip to the national parks for a couple of weeks.
>>
>>1225708
I have been doing this on and off since 2013.
Its a fucking blast but you do need a sound vehicle and at least 800 bucks a month income.
>>
>>1226255
800 bucks before or after takes?
>>
>>1226304
after, thats about what I spend in a month on living expenses
>>
Already have a nomadic lifestyle, just need the van (or truck camper) but I'll have enough money to solve that after my next summer gig.

I know lots of people who do/have done it for a few seasons to a year of two, but it takes a certain type of personality to do full-time, long term.
>>
Hey /trv/, /out/ here, I've lived innavehicle for going on 4 years. Started in a small car, ended up in a short school bus. I pay for everything in my life by playing music. If I can do it as a traveling musicbum then any of you can do it even working part time food jobs and shit. There are mad benefits of living innavehicle and still working your job. All that money you spent on rent goes right into your pocket every month, it's possible to save up thousands working even the shittiest of 20hr/wk jobs. You have all that income to pour into your van/rv/whatever, you can then afford to make it reliable and to get yourself a few modern amenities like a mobile hotspot to shitpost on 4chan with whenever you want. You can pay $10/mo for a gym membership in your town to bathe/brush teeth etc. at. It's not for everyone, but this lifestyle is definitely easily attainable and sustained.
>>
>>1226627
>. I pay for everything in my life by playing music.
Are you taking paying gigs or busking ?
>>
>>1226638
Both. About 60/40 with busking being the 60. Moving on to change that, I have a band now so I will be playing more gigs. Honestly though busking kind of blows gigging out of the water if you're talking money.
>>
What part of the world?
>>
>>1226627
>innavehicle
>>
>>1225641
Protip: if you're gonna do this, stsy away from VWs.

Westies are money pits and really only owned by yuppies and trustafarians. Most hardcore dirtbags go Econoline because maintenance is cheap, parts are plentiful and space is not an issue.

A lot of people crow about Sprinters, and they are bigger and more reliable than Westies, but parts and maintenance are still way more expensive.

In a few years used Transits are gonna start hitting the market and that'll be a game changer for Sprinters.
>>
>>1226746
Dumb advice.
VW are easy to work on a very reliable.
Added bonus is they are worth more every year so you actually make money owning one.
>>
>>1227476
Man just from my personal experience I have never ever seen anyone with a live in vw bus or westy. Never. I airstream and get around an awful lot. I've also never heard anything other than what this guy has to say about them.
>>1226746
>>
>>1227480
A lot of this comes from the guys on the samba.
They are angry that westies have gone way up in value and they tell anyone thinking about buying one that they are disasters mechanically.
Even with the constant stream of disinformation they have kept up for the last 5 or six years, the values keep going up.
>>
>>1227482
I mean I see where you're coming from, but I've been living 9 months out of the year in state park campsites/KOA/NF/BLM for the last 8 years for work and there are plenty of folks with conversion vans, school buses, shuttle vans, coaches, truckbed campers, ancient RVs, teardrop tow behinds and popups but I literally can not name a single time i've seen a live in vw bus or westy.
>>
>>1227483
>>1227483
They are pretty rare. Not many were brought to north america.
Also they tend to avoid any place with big rvs that have generators and they dont usually flock to full hookup sites.
Different crowd. You most likely find them out on their own or with groups of other westies.
The short wheel base and high ground clearance means they can get way up in the mountaings.
>>
>>1227484
I've seen them in plenty of driveways man. I think it's pretty weird to come into a live in vehicle thread and vouch for westys or vw buses, especially when your main points are theyre either off on their own or with groups of westys. That cracks me up man, like a bunch of life long live in westfalia mobile suburban culdesac tribes roaming the country. They are way too small for my taste anyway.
I tow that airstream in a 460 v8 raised pickup truck that'll drive right up any mountain i'm visiting. Think after 8 years i'd just be sittin on my ass in a tourist spot? Gimmie some credit man!
>>
>>1227488
Well we have just had different experiences I guess but then again, I run in the westy crowd so I see them all over the place.
>>
>>1226367
You could live in a nice apartment in most of the world for that money... I wish I had that much, it's 4 times the average wage in my country.
>>
>>1227552
Where do you live, friend?
>>
I could if I wanted to. I've got the mindset of somebody who can live cut off from the rest of the world. Would never do it though. I like having a home.
>>
>>1227578
>cut off from the rest of the world

/out/ seasonal dirt bag here, we're not cut off from the rest of the world. In fact it's quite a socially engaging lifestyle at times.
>>
Friendly reminder that Comvees are the worst possible choice for van living because their engine literally shakes the car apart
>>
>>1227552
Where I live an income of $800 a month will get you a real fucking shithole. Might as well avoid that and live innavehicle.
>>
Well, I currently live with my parents and I own a pick-up truck.

I don't have the best parents in the world, and we don't always get along.

If the time ever comes where they kick me out, I would seriously consider living in my truck. I just have to buy a canopy, and I can just camp out in the truck bed.
>>
I want to do this but I'm not sure how good of an idea it is traveling abroad. One pack travel might be better in such a case.
>>
>>1225704
Don't say like. Just say pay 100k.
>>
>>1229493
whats wrong with saying like
>>
>>1229477
International travel definitely adds wrinkles like insurance, parts availability, customs, etc. Unless they're just driving to Canada and Mexico, most dirtbags I know leave their vehicles behind when traveling internationally.
>>
>>1229548
Australians buy vans and buses in Los Angeles then explore all of north america from canada and alaska down to panama.
Surely you can do the same for europe pretty easy right?
Africa?
>>
>>1225641
Better question is why you wouldn't buy a sailboat. Boats that are in better shape than, have more sleeping and cooking room than, and don't have a huge gas tank to constantly keep filling start below 5k. You can get a blue water boat that will go anywhere around the world for 15-30. Anyone who's interested search Catalina's and Pearson's on Yachtworld. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/Sail/Cruiser/Pearson
>>
>>1225704
get one of these fampai.
>>
>>1229643
except sailing is dangerous as fuck.
>>
>>1229646
I can't find anything like that for sale online
>>
>>1229785
are you canadian or american?
>>
>>1229796
american, why?
>>
File: 1986-Mitsubishi-Delica-4x4-Side.jpg (48KB, 526x398px) Image search: [Google]
1986-Mitsubishi-Delica-4x4-Side.jpg
48KB, 526x398px
>>1229801
thats why you can't find them. there are a couple of grey market importers you can go through to get them from Japan.

the isuzu NPR 150 platform is quite desirable for camper conversions. as is the mitsubishi Delica and the Toyota Hi-Ace. all these were available in canuck land, but not for burgers due to muh regulations.
>>
>>1229802
then wouldn't i be fucked when i break down and nobody has the right parts?
>>
>>1229803
no, because the engines themselves are actually prevalent. the NPR is one of the most widely used commerce vehicles in the US, they just don't sell the 1.5 ton version here.

while not many parts stores will carry delica/hi-ace parts, they are an order of magnitude cheaper than VW stuff, even if you over night them.

more importantly, these things are reliable as fuck anyways because muh 90's jap engineering.
>>
>>1229808
so where do i find these importers?
>>
>>1229809
where do you live?

seattle/portland has a few guys but they tend to overprice. you could always take your chances with some shady no-speeka-da-ingrish online importer.

i'd try canadian craigslist first.
>>
>>1229809
alternatively, there are a select few importers who specialize in stuff like this but you will pay out the ass (like 10k$ for a delica). mostly because they are delivering collector tier quality.
>>
File: 1444514035178.jpg (120KB, 843x843px) Image search: [Google]
1444514035178.jpg
120KB, 843x843px
>>1229815
>>1229818
say that to my face not online fucker see what happens
>>
>>1229815
You can only import 25 year old cars so they will old and crappy.
Not worth the effort
>>
>>1229838
I feel like you just wanted to post a picture of a benis .
Are you happy now?
>>
>>1230044
yes
>>
Good luck when you have to shower, or get the runs.
>>
>>1230224
>>1230224
Solar shower
Cassette toilet
>>
File: _DSC0089.jpg (3MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0089.jpg
3MB, 3456x2304px
That was/is my dream, to be able to travel without much restraint before wife/kids/debt.

I've switched my goal from a van to an RV though. Currently trying to sell my van to finance my 20ft RV project.

Pic related, my '70 Dodge A-108. She's for sale.
>>
File: 4.jpg (174KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
174KB, 1280x960px
>>1230721
That is pretty sweet van anon.
No offense but I am so glad I ducked out on having kids and getting married . All the women I ever dated were horrible people but now I am glad they were not marriage material.
My life is my own and I do what I please.
I am sure you love your family and would not change things now, but from this side of the fence , there is no way I could give my freedom up now.
>>
File: 00606_897hMmi7JDH_600x450.jpg (28KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00606_897hMmi7JDH_600x450.jpg
28KB, 337x450px
>>1230828
Oh I'm still unmarried/kid and debt/free!

I feel ya' on that man. I at least want to have complete freedom for the remainder of my 20s. You have a nice van as well. I still love vans, but I think a small RV is just a better fit for me. Mainly for shitter/shower compatibility. I need to redo the roof (among many other things) on my RV. It's fiberglass, and in pretty good shape overall. Do you travel around, or stay in one region?
>>
I'm leaving my parents multimillion dollar house to live in a prius. I've done it before and it's just so much more comfortable and relaxing yet also fun.
>>
^ im a photographer
>>
>>1225641
Already did this in 2012.
If I had an actual van and not a Honda CRV I would still be doing it. Only problem is you can only date girls who live similar lives because the ones who are really proud of their apartments/homes will expect you to be as well, and will never stop wanting to "come over and see your place".

Actually if I could do it all over again, I'd opt for a 4x4 truck with camper back, or some sort of discreet back cover. I don't need a sink, microwave, toilet etc because almost all rest stops or gas stations where I live have such amenities and so long as wet wipes, hand sanitizer, and paper towels are handy I'm comfortable shitting in a waste basket with a plastic Wal-Mart sack in it. Fact: the squatting position helps hasten the turds coming out.
>>
>>1230984
>Wal-Mart sack

Yeah some prissy girl with a spotless condo is not going for that.
>>
>>1231113
Needless to say, I tightly tied the bag and tossed it in a dumpster immediately after.

On the first couple dates you can lie, say you're new in town....but then you have to get a pricey hotel room that looks like something you could live in, and by you I mean a normie.

Although I prefer to be honest about my living situation most girls just won't accept it. So if you want to get anywhere you must lie, and then it's only a matter of time before you're caught.
>>
>>1231116

Women are horrible , better to live without them in your life in any way.
I ghosted two years ago and I dont think I will ever go back.
>>
>>1231119
I can understand that but then I'm prob older than most here at 33. I've sown my wild oats so to speak. At 23 I think it would hard to convince me to give up girls forever.

That's litterally the only reason I'd have an apartment, chicks. If I had a house I'd use it as an investment, rent the entire thing out, and sell it later if property value goes up. I don't even like living in them to be honest.
>>
this idea seems very tempting and I have th money but I need to go to school and get my shit together. I'm not very social as it is and my interest are introverted shit. any spots with cheap community colleges where the weather is tolerable year around?

>>1231121
maybe you'd have more luck in liberal cities. a buddy of mine brought two girls back to his van.
>>
File: 1489953247922.jpg (698KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1489953247922.jpg
698KB, 1600x1200px
>>1231128
It doesnt count if you have to use chloroform anon
>>
>>1229536
not that anon but you're using like when you mean around.

it's not like 100k, because that means similar to 100k, it's around 100k because it is about that number.

and if you're thinking, like, dude, get a grip, like what does it matter? look at yourself, unless you see a 14 year old naive girl staring back you should not be peppering your sentences with like
>>
Pretty much my dream to drive one of these expedition vehicle around the world. Unfortunately ive realized its unrealistic and ill have to settle with my 2 weeks per year of travel time.
>>
>>1231397
Usage anon , usage.
Dont be a sourpuss because Meriam the fuck Websters has beaten you tongue clucking grammarians right the fuck out.
>>
>>1229838
i got b& for this post and they didn't even delete it

MODS ARE FAGS

>>1231397
look at your own self, wasting time on this bullshit lol. im a great writer and would never say "like" for anything that actually mattered, but this is 4chan, so i write my posts quickly and don't care
>>
>>1231586
Why did you post that anyway?
>>
Yea I would probably do it, would be fun to go to every US state. Only problem would be finding work, and having to fix the vehicle. Might be better to bike.
>>
>>1232320
You would need to be a digital nomad
Get a sound vehicle that does not need any work.
>>
>>1232342
>Digital nomad
Huh?
>>
>>1232367
People who work remotely via the Internet. Coders, designers, copy writers, etc.
>>
>>1232385
Oh I see, not good at any of that. So I don't know.
>>
>>1232320
Finding work isn't that hard. Aside from remote working, there's seasonal employment, event work, temp agencies, construction, etc.

Lots of people do this.
>>
>>1232389
Would need to see how I can do these things.
>>
>>1232788
What?
>>
File: 14-076-hubble-anniversary3_0.jpg (1MB, 1128x1111px) Image search: [Google]
14-076-hubble-anniversary3_0.jpg
1MB, 1128x1111px
>>
>>1225641
>no wifi
>no shower access
>no toilet access

NOOOOOOOPPPPPPEEEE!!!
>>
>>1233970
you can get wifi
you can also get a toilet/shower if you do an RV
that's my plan anyway
>>
>>1233970
Verizon unlimited data hotspot
Planet fitness national gym memership and solar shower
cassette toilet
>>
>>1233970
I've been heavily weighing whether I should buy a van or a trailer for this reason and I think this is what tipped it.

The mobility of a van sounds really nice; I mean you can basically take it anywhere. At the same time I can already do that sleeping in the back of my SUV. The only reason I wanted a van was for a bit more privacy. At that point I might as well avoid having to shit in public all the time, or shower at a fucking gym for that matter. I guess the van life just isn't for me.
>>
>>1233970
I like that WiFi is more important than a toilet or shower.
>>
>>1229802
Can you really gray market import a fucking van? Seems sort of impossible customs wise
>>
File: IMG_0026.jpg (114KB, 914x874px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.jpg
114KB, 914x874px
>>1230905
Don't you have to pay retarded hook-up fees if you have that shower and toilet? Seems like a big dent in the 'living free' meme when you are basically paying rent
>>1225708
Pretty much this
>>
>>1234338
>Don't you have to pay retarded hook-up fees if you have that shower and toilet?
No, you have holding tanks that you must dump a few times a month.
Usually for free
>>
>>1231416
Maybe long and super cool travel like that, yeah. But maybe if you changed occupation and location you could get more travel more often? I think 2 weeks per year is really sad and I've been doing less than that for many years. I've come to the realization I'd rather have mediocre pay with relaxed time off than make a lot of money and only get a week or two per year. Then again I have no family so I can live in a shit hole off rice and beans.
>>
>>1235786
Fellow single male here.
I realized a few years ago that if I sold my huge house that I could not really afford and stopped buying new cars I could work far less.
Now I only work about 6 months a year.
I take 3 month vacations. Two a year.
I have a weird job where my company pays room and board. When I am not working , I am out of the country.
>>
>>1236734
how do i get a job that allows me to work 6 months?

i have a few prospective engineering jobs lined up for like 85k per year. i would rather do 40k for 6 months but they don't really let you do that.
>>
>>1236874
I'm curious as well. I don't mind busting my ass for a while but I need nice long breaks. Employers generally keep you on a short leash though.
>>
>>1225641
already did
>>
>>1238530
What is your story?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.