[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial Arts Training Travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 5-Reason-to-Train-in-Thailand.jpg (90KB, 735x375px) Image search: [Google]
5-Reason-to-Train-in-Thailand.jpg
90KB, 735x375px
Hello /trv/ where else besides Thailand has a significant industry based around martial arts training and tourism?

As someone interesting in MMA, Id like to go abroad to boxing, dutch kickboxing, muay thai, BJJ, wrestling.

I know I dont need to leave the US to train, I just think it would be fun to do with my vacation time.

I also know where these styles originated and/or most popular. But I want to know if other places in the world have martial arts tourism that is as established as Thailand's Muay Thai camps.
>>
>>1225308
Brazil ofc, if you like BJJ (I live here)

maybe the Netherlands?

And would also be cool to go wrestling around the Caucasus (Georgia, Azerbaijan)
>>
>>1225308
Okinawan Karate
http://okkb.org
>>
>>1225317

You live there? If you mind revisiting this thread and answering some questions for me i'd really appreciate it.

An uber driver told e if i was seeking BJJ i would want to go to Parana, he said that's where all the gyms are. I've only heard of places like Rio and Sao Paulo, if Parana is where I want to go what can you tell me about it?

Is it safe? welcoming to foreigners? how expensive is it? how much Portuguese do you need to know to get by? how do people in the area feel about black Americans? Do the women like foreigners? Will the guys at the gym go extra hard on me because i'm American?
>>
If you want to learn Judo, the Kodakan (basically official Judo headquarters) in Tokyo has hostel-style rooms and intensive training schedules for people who travel to train there. I've always kind of wanted to do it; it's pretty much the best Judo training you can get, and the school is set up for that kind of thing.
>>
I'm going to Senegal next month and I'm particularly interested in learning about their traditional wrestling style. Don't plan on participating, though.
>>
>>1225673

Sounds like a cool experience, do they welcome beginners?
>>
>>1225636
Hey man, I'm back
"bjj only in PR" <--- bullshit. I live in MS and our gym is home to Roberto Abreu "Cyborg, google him. I'd say Rio and Sp have the greatest BJJ gyms (I myself practice it for 5+ years, have been to Miami and Boston to train).

ParanĂ¡ (specifically Curitiba) is home of great MMA kickboxers such as Anderson Silva, Mauricio Shogun, Wanderlei Silva, Cris Cyborg. But all of them are actually too old and RJ/SP have developed better now. If you want exact info on which gym to go, I can ask a friend who knows more than I do

>safe
anything besides north and northeastern Brazil is relativelly safe (not European standards, but way better than SA overall)
>welcoming to foreigners?
Yes. Pretty much every foreigner goes out of his way to state that Brazilians are the warmest people on earth blablablah. Besides, being a gringo is high status. People will be curious about where are you from, etc.

>how expensive
BJJ gyms are cheap, overall. Lifestyle is way cheaper than the US, but in the big cities not so much. I can't see someone spending more than $3000 a month, though. I myself would do ~$800 in Sao Paulo, staying at hostels.

>portuguese
Not that it's impossible to train without it, but learning PT would surely help a lot. There is no chance that the teacher will teach you in english. I'm sure someone would be glad to translate.

>Black americans, women
I guess women fancy the blue eyed tall white murrican, but you still have the gringo advantage. No racism, of course.

>will the guys go extra hard?
If you're tough as hell, yes. Nobody wants to let the gringo dominate the gym. If you're a beginner, I'm sure most guys will take it easy on you.

True bjj experience : non touristic town
Bjj + beach : Rio
Bjj + br culture : SP
>>
>>1225308
Nowhere is as established as thailand

Go to Bangkok, there is the best boxing.

Go outside the city, in the suburbs, there is many. I've trained in a few, my favourite is Kiatphontip, very small, very local, extreme training. You will not get training like this anywhere in the world, they will make your western mma gyms look pathetic.

Lands
>>
>>1226037
Yep. It's a giant school, so they have session for various levels at different points of the day.
>>
>>1225308
I did a three month Muay Thai camp in Koh Tao last year. Loved it. Went in as a complete rookie wanting to get fit before returning home after travelling Asia for 18 months.
One of the best things I did on my trip. Trainers were all cool, and I stayed in the on site dorm where I met some great people.

Try this website
https://www.bookmartialarts.com

Enjoy!
>>
>>1225317
>Caucasus
Info is very hard to come by, even locals usually don't know much. I basically found one or two Judo clubs in Tbilisi, but that's it. You need Russian or Georgian to find more info online.

Wouldn't bother with Azerbaijan though, skipped it myself so far but every single traveller I met who visited complained about it being a corrupt shithole where even the McDonalds staff my try to rip you off while being in cahoots with the police. Not even making that up.

>>1225677
Again, same story. They supposedly train on certain beeches in Dakar for example, but that wasn't the case when I was there last July because the season had ended.
>>
>>1226087
I have been interested in training in Brazil too. I mostly do no-gi though. Are there gyms there that would be fine with this? I don't even own a gi.

I'm not OP by the way.

Also, OP there is a sticky'd thread on Sherdog of some guy who moved to Brazil for 6 months so that he could train. It is a really interesting thread
>>
>>1226878
Most classes are Gi, by far. So make sure you find a gym that has specifically what you're looking for.
>>
anywhere i can learn some good old catch wrestling as a filthy dubai arab looking to visit the states and experience true enlightenment.
>>
>>1225308
You'd probably enjoy the jiu jitsu more in Miami what with the gracie headquarters that exists there (much more than in Brazil, where anyone who could emigrate to miami, already left). There's some kick butt Israeli krav maga fighting too in Miami, what with the highest jewish population outside of Israel and all.
You're going to find that there are 50 or more choices for each of these sports in Miami...and the best in the world come to train with them.
If you don't think S. Florida is like leaving the entire USA as a country? Then you don't know the city at all. It's an extension of the Caribbean and the Americas, and you might go a whole day without hearing a word of English, not even once.
>>
>>1226087
>>1225636
>>Black americans, women
>I guess women fancy the blue eyed tall white murrican, but you still have the gringo advantage. No racism, of course.
I'm black myself and even a manlet seemed to still be popular with the ladies (I'm very handsome though) in Rio at least
>>
>>1227470
Did they do well with the ladies because they were Black? American? Or both?
>>
>>1228145
there's nothing special about being black in brazil
>>
>>1226901
Second this. Im also interested in catch
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.