[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where is the best place to live?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: usa.jpg (106KB, 1427x759px) Image search: [Google]
usa.jpg
106KB, 1427x759px
Okay. So my girlfriend and I have finally gotten the balls to decide to move to another part of the country. We want out of Pennsylvania, for a lot of reasons. Mainly the climate. We've been kicking this idea around for years but to be honest we need some help in figuring out where we want to go and eventually buy a house and settle down.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some insight into certain areas of the country from a first-hand experience, as opposed to a touristy big-city perspective. We both grew up in small towns, and we're basically looking for that same life but just somewhere warmer. The only problem is that we have some very specific requirements.

The climate has to be warm. NOT sizzling insane 110 degree summer warm, but just much warmer than Pennsylvania.

I like to hunt and fish and camp and do all kinds of outdoor things. I am a huge gardener and this is also my career path. I would like to be within an hour drive to some true wilderness. No city park shit. Somewhere that I can be alone and feel lost.

We both want to be within a few (like 1 or 2) hours to a beach if that's possible, but we would settle for like 3 or maybe 4 hours max.

Now what really matters are the kind of people. Not scummy hicks or ghetto ass thugs or other city dwellers, just normal people.

Basically, we're looking for a warmer Pennsylvania. Can anybody please help us out?

PS, Hard Mode, Not California.
>>
>>1225287
And just to clarify, we've been looking all over and doing some traveling for a while now. We're not just sitting here expecting someone to do the work for us.

What we're just asking for is a little insight. I've found random small towns in warm geographic ranges on google maps and thought hey this looks nice from google but for all I know it's full of the KKK. We thought that maybe some of you out there would read this and think, hey, what they're looking for sounds like where I grew up and be able to share that with us.

Any help is majorly appreciated.
>>
Oregon or the Carolinas

There are going to be hicks and yuppies everywhere you go. Likewise there will also be decent people everywhere you go.
>>
Tennessee
>>
>>1225304
Seconding the Carolinas. Those are really the only non-California states that come close to fitting your parameters.
>>
Oregon is the only state that fits your parameters.

Me and the girl are actually thinking of moving there ourselves.

California is nearly impossible to make it in anyway. At least in a way that leaves income left over to travel, which is a priority for most of us here
>>
>>1225304
>>1225345

I'd vouch for North Carolina, Raleigh is really nice to live in and you can shoot up to the blue ridge in a few hours.

Oregon would be a second option but bunch of rain and a higher cost of living.
>>
This is all great advice, and to be honest we were already leaning towards south carolina, the texas gulf area, oregon, and arizona(no beach i know)

my real question is where within these states? i'm talkin specific towns
>>
>>1225648
I too can vouch for North Carolina. Check out the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, aka "The Triangle." Halfway between the coast and the mountains. Duke and UNC attract lots of educated people, and rural areas are easy to get to. One nice small town in that area is Hillsborough.
>>
>>1225653
awesome dude, thank you, we may check that out soon on a little trip
>>
>>1225648
My vote is for the clearlake - friendswood - league city area of Texas. It's 20 minutes from the ocean, 20 minutes from big time houston, and its just big enough to have everything you'd ever need. look around NASA area.
>>
>>1225357
I assume the people recommending Oregon are talking about east of the mountains, where it doesn't rain much and is sunny as fuck.
>>
>>1225691
>>1225653
Third for the Carolinas. I'm a big fan of the Wilmington/Cape Fear River area. I'm almost in the same boat as you, OP. The last storm to come through was a tipping point for me. If my wife and I didn't have good jobs here, we'd be packing our bags for the coast right now.
>>
>>1225304
>>1225345
>>1225357
>>1225653
>>1225724
As nice as the scenery/cost of living is I'd have to advise one of the major downsides of living in NC is crime amongst white trash + minorities and how seemingly corrupt police are in areas like Charlotte/Wilmington/Raleigh. The state can be pretty damn dangerous if you don't know your way around.
>>
File: 1489471632078.jpg (276KB, 1920x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1489471632078.jpg
276KB, 1920x1366px
>>1225304

Fuck off we're full
>>
>>1225788
>t. faggot who moved there 3 years ago
>>
File: moral_monday.jpg (84KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
moral_monday.jpg
84KB, 736x552px
Yay, more people from liberal states moving to North Carolina and complaining.
>>
>>1225793
Your state went for Obama in '08, stop pretending you're in Idaho faggot.
>>
File: Gauley_Mountain_Trail.jpg (33KB, 728x280px) Image search: [Google]
Gauley_Mountain_Trail.jpg
33KB, 728x280px
>>1225287
I recommend West Virginia
>>
>>1225793
OP here, i'm pretty conservative

>>1225751
bingo, i have heard this, thank you

Can anyone tell me anything about the Clemson/Greenville SC area?
>>
>>1225989
Think about Louisiana
>the best food in the US
> perfect fall, winter, and spring, summer is a little bad, but it's bearable
>top 5 happiest cities in america are in Louisiana
>God-tier outdoors
>God-tier hunting, literally anything you want
>Baton Rouge is a great place to be a planter
>it's almost impossible to run out of stuff to do in Nola
>Nola and BR are only 45 minutes apart

When I say Louisiana, I mean southeastern Louisiana, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Houma, Thibadoux, NOLA, that area
>>
>>1225989
Also around 3-4 hours to orange beach, and 2.5 hours to a good non touristy beach
>>
>>1225648
Hill country in TX

Houston suburbia blows don't fall for that
>>
>>1225993
But that's also where one child in 10 is born with three feet because of the oil pollution. Or is that just south-eastern Texas?
>>
>>1225994
Can you tell me anything more about Clemson specifically? Is it rich or poor or in between? Lots of places to shop and other nice things? Good place to settle down and have kids?
>>
Can anyone else vouch for this?
>>
>>1226151
What the fuck are you talking about? I've actually never heard of that.

Yeah we got some Indian tribes that are poor and can't speak English, but they are usually in the Marsh where people hunt rather than live.

So yeah never heard of inbreeding around the New Orleans, Baton Rouge area, prolly is some in Northern LA
>>
>>1226151
Hey buddy SE Texas is nothing like that. We just got minorities and refineries
>>
>>1226065
im from San Antonio. came here exactly to recommend the Hill Country.

Unless you can live in like cool inner hip Houston it sucks ass.
>>
File: 1488354144394.jpg (34KB, 306x377px) Image search: [Google]
1488354144394.jpg
34KB, 306x377px
>>1225793
>PA
>Liberal state
Not anymore
>>
>>1225751
North Carolinian for 40 year, this is absolute horseshit.
>>
I don't mind Minnesota too bad. But the winters are not good if you are not into winter sports. If you can move here and have a garage for your car, a small to no driveway to deal with shoveling / snow blowing, and like to ski and snowboard, it's a great place.

Otherwise winter will be hell for you and you won't enjoy 4 months of the year.

Otherwise, prices are not that bad, the twin cities have minimal traffic compared to other big cities, all crime is largely located in north minneapolis, prices for a metro are reasonable compared to other large metros again, lots of places to eat, mall of america, etc.

I don't mind it too much.
>>
>>1225287

States I like:

Georgia
North and South Carolina
Virginia
Texas
Hawaii

States I dislike:

California (just southern cali, norcal is cool)
Tennessee

Meh:

Florida
Colorado
>>
>>1225287
not Colorado
>>
The Carolinas are great. I spent a week there when I was still living with my parents. Great beaches, great weather. Not near as expensive as Cali and doesn't have Cali's culture.

East coast has a massive frequently unmentioned advantage of smaller states. You can go different places in like a couple hour drive, whereas on the west coast there's both bigger gaps between cities and less in between them.
>>
>>1227712
Move out of Elon then.
>>
>>1227736
Close. The traffic sucks as does the mall.
>>
File: 1490328850455.jpg (177KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
1490328850455.jpg
177KB, 1024x700px
>>1225287
Minnesota just stay away from the cites
>>
Austin is my favorite city, lived there for a while, I miss it so damn much. I actually just like all of Texas.

Colorado is great. For cities, I like New Orleans and Nashville a lot.
>>
The thing to keep in mind is that NC's economy is growing fairly well, and amazing if you are into the tech field. Never heard about the cop things and spent 25 years living on the boarder of VA/NC, never really had an issue.
>>
>>1227736
Bro i love minnesota but this guy asked for somewhere waem with beach access. "Minnesota" isnt necessarily the answer to every thread.
>>
What about Virginia?
>warmer
>also a Commonwealth like Pennsylvania
>beach isn't far
>Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Mts. and all the little hiking towns along the Appalachian Trail like Damascus and Roanoke are really cool. The biggest part of the Applachians is in Virginia so you definitely will feel like you are in the wilderness and not in a tourist trap.
>doesn't have shitty laws and not bankrupt like North Carolina
>lots of history
>cheaper and higher standard of living than overly taxed Pennsylvania
>people aren't too hick-y or ghetto. It voted Clinton in 2016 but it is pretty evenly divided between liberals and conservatives.
>good place to find a job
>good schools like U. of Virginia, George Mason, Virginia Tech, Liberty
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.