[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Texas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: man-on-horse-in-texas.jpg (121KB, 940x620px) Image search: [Google]
man-on-horse-in-texas.jpg
121KB, 940x620px
I want to experience Texas like in the movies.
Like the western movies. Rodeo, cowboys, outlaws, ranches and shit.

I plan to go to USA this year, and will be in Texas 5, 6 days.
What is some must see for a true Texan experience?
I mean nature, and just the experience in general. I presume avoiding the big cities? Where should I go?

Also what time of the year would be best to visit Texas, weather-wise (no rain season, but not bloody hot either)
>>
File: The_Company_Man.jpg (15KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
The_Company_Man.jpg
15KB, 320x240px
>>1225201
The spaghetti westerns were shot in Spain & Italy, J.R.
>>
>>1225203
i dont want to go to the moviesets, i want to experience.
horseback riding and walking in a saloon, right?
>>
>>1225201
Far west texas is where the mountains are. Honestly just go to SW colorado or New Mexico, texas is a fucking wasteland.
>>
>>1225201
Most of the shit you see like that is actually new mexico or more likely arizona
>>
File: central-usa.jpg (82KB, 990x704px) Image search: [Google]
central-usa.jpg
82KB, 990x704px
>>1225209
>>1225211
Interesting. So I can skip most of Texas?
Big Bend NP and El Paso seems nice but they're kinda far away from the route i virtually planning.

pic related is all the stuff I want to see during my central USA trip (i'll go to Utah next time)

What do you say? Drive through New Mexico, so I can visit El Paso and Big Bend NP? Or go see cool stuff in Texas?
>>
>>1225212
Drove through texas on my cross country trip to move out to Arizona. UNless you are running up against the west side prepare for a bunch of nothingness and flat stuff.

New Mexico and AZ aren't much better outside the cities but the scenery is nice
>>
>>1225212
>houston
>dallas
>amarillo

Jesus christ, why
>>
>>1225201
Texas anon with a 5,500-acre family ranch here. Western movies are lies filmed in places that aren't Texas. Most of what I do on the ranch involves chainsawing overgrown brush and fixing the roads with a front-end loader. Moving cattle on horseback doesn't happen on a large scale anymore.

As far as I know the only three movies that have been filmed in west Texas are There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, and Giant. We do have mountains, but they're not very big and they're all out near El Paso.

Big Bend has the best scenery but it's way out of the way. Palo Duro Canyon is an option though--it's the second-biggest canyon in the US. It's also one of the few reasons to go anywhere near Amarillo, the other being exploding your stomach by attempting to eat the Big Texan steak at the Big Texan steakhouse. The XIT Ranch museum is close to Amarillo too.

>Coming when it's not bloody hot
Your map seems to indicate that you're Dutch, so I assume your definition of bloody hot means all the weather here between late April and October. If that doesn't work for you, keep in mind we have powerful air conditioning here.

Mesquite Championship Rodeo is on Saturdays from late June to mid-September. It's in the Dallas metropolitan area.

The Alamo in San Antonio is a very Texas experience. Also near San Antonio is the Texas Hill Country, which doesn't resemble any of the other landscapes along your route. Natural areas there include Garner State Park, Lost Maples State Natural Area, and Guadalupe State Park.

A route from Houston to San Antonio to Dallas to Amarillo that covers what you have on your map plus this stuff should take 6 or 7 days.

El Paso and New Mexico are worth visiting, but I would save them for another trip.
>>
>trying to send this yuro tourist who romanticizes cowboy shit over across the NM border

Oh no you don't faggots. He's looking for that yeehaw texmex 10-gallon hat novelty garbage as alluded to in >>1225203
>>
Marfa and big bend is the closest thing to what you want but it will take all 5 of your days because they're that far from civilization. Not sure if it's worth it, they more of a native Texan/NM vacation spot
>>
>>1225212
This pic makes me think you are hugely underestimating the size of the country. It will be probably 50+ hours in your car to see all this, and the pretty nature will be few and far between huge tracts of flat agriculture and empty 2 lane highways. I strongly recommend against this but it's up to you. If you're alone I hope you really love the sound of your inner voice.
>>
>>1225343
This I did a cross country drive, the midwest is called fly over for a reason. There ain't shit outside the major cities worth seeing, especially if you are foreign. Not that you won't be treated kindly, you just will be bored out of your wits and probably get a bunch of confused looks.
>>
You missed the old west Texas of the movies by a 150 years...but you can still come and get the flavor of the great state that is Texas.

We still have cows and cowboys, and right now the Houston Rodeo is going on for the next few weeks. You also have lots of smaller rodeo events around.

Just off the top of my head some things that I think rep TEXAS.

Shoot a bunch of guns.
Hunting if you can afford it.
Gulf coast Fishing.
Great BBQ
Great TexMex food
The Alamo and river walk in San Antonio
Six Street in Austin
The stock yards in Ft. Worth
If possible you must see a football game. I would go to a Cowboy game in Dallas, or an Aggie Game in College Station. Just because they are events as well as games. Even a big high school game can be an experience. If it's not football season catch a baseball game, Texas is big on it's sports.

It is a huge state with big piney forests on the East, rugged flat land in the pan handle, decent beaches down south, desert in the Big Bend area, and beautiful hill country in the middle.

So much more, but you get the idea. You mentioned the Space Center and the Museum in H town and those are both worth seeing.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.