[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whirlwind US trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I'm dropping my grandma off at LAX in June, and it got me thinking about going around the US on a quick trip to see some of the bigger cities.

I've only left California a handful of times, so I kind of want to get a taste of other states.

The cities I picked I will only be in for about 36 hours at a time. I think my goal is just to take a few pictures, eat a couple meals, or see some landmarks or museums. Not looking for the complete experience in any city.

I chose Austin to deflect jetlag slightly. Plus I've wanted to see Texas most of my life since it's somewhat the opposite of California (though I believe Austin is the super liberal city, correct?). Miami is so that I can see Miami beach before it gets washed out from erosion. DC I've been to once, so I mostly want to walk around the National Mall for a day.

I've never been to NYC, but my goal is to do some of the slightly touristy things, like go to the top of 1 WTC, walk through MoMA, or get mugged in an alley.

Seattle I mostly want to go to in order to eat some food and walk around Pike's Place and Queen Anne. Maybe do the Space Needle and the Museum of Pop Culture. Seattle has a direct flight to my hometown so that'd be a convenient end.

Has anyone ever taken a trip like this? Any destinations I should cut out? Austin would probably be first on my list, as there doesn't seem to be a lot to do other than hang out downtown. Seattle would probably be next.

Would it be reasonable to assume I could do this all for about $2500? Flight is about $900 of that. I expect to stay at airbnbs or shitty hotels.
>>
>>1224895
You don't need to worry about jet lag if the maximum time difference is three hours, but you should check to see if the youth hostels have limitations on Americans staying in them, some are just for foreigners. The museums in DC are really top class. Skip Austin or Seattle and spend an extra day in DC or NYC if you're interested in culture and history.
>>
>>1224896

Wow, hostels are a steal! Most that I'm seeing are really quite nice, and something like $30 a night. That might really beat a shitty hotel room, I appreciate the suggestion.
>>
>>1224895
Cut out Austin. It will be unbearably hot during that time of year. 100 degrees F and 100% humidity every single day, it's awful. And there's nothing for a tourist to do in the summer, you'll just sit inside in the air conditioning all day in reality.

I'd say cut out Seattle too, though I lived there for many years and the climate might be great then. Seattle's tourist crap is pretty boring. I don't know what you're talking about doing in Queen Anne, it's just a hill. Pike's place is just an overpriced tourist market where they throw some fish around. The real amazing part of Seattle is out in the mountains and the lakes, but you will need at least a few days and some extra energy for that.

So I'd say skip Austin and Seattle, and then make it NYC -> DC -> Miami, so that you get the relaxing place at the end. Make a connecting flight via Seattle if you want, but don't waste time on such a short trip there.
>>
>>1224930
Also, I should say, take the train between NYC and DC. It's easier, cheaper, and faster. It's the only part of the US that has semi-decent rail.
>>
>>1224931

Train is a good idea. Maybe I'll cut Austin/Seattle and take the train to Boston for the day. Could replace Miami with that, perhaps. Though the idea of lounging on the beach does sound nice versus looking art architecture. Not that I can't lie on the beach at home, I live in a beach town.
>>
>>1224895
>Would it be reasonable to assume I could do this all for about $2500?

You could get a month living nicely in an asian country for that pice
>>
>>1224959

I imagine I could. I'm not interested in Asia, but thank you.
>>
>>1224895
Drop the flight from DC->NYC and either take the train or a bus so you can save some money and see some east coast scenery along the way. If possible, get a stopover in Philadelphia for a few hours so you can see the main sights.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.