[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

exchange semester in beijing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

im a mid-20s european who just got accepted for an exchange semester in beijing.
i really dont know what to expect there, i mainly applied there because ive lived in australia, europe and north america before and now really wanted to live somewhere outside of my comfort zone.

other than backpacking through laos and cambodia for several weeks i dont really have experiences with asian (and especially chinese) culture.

- what can i expect especially in regards to nightlife and girls? im really into clubbing. and im single
- is the smog bad for my long-term health even though its "only" 4 months?
- im 6'1 with dark hair and beard, will i stand out a lot there or are people in beijing used to westeners already?
- is english enough to get around somehow, or what is the best way to communicate with someone in a restaurant, cab-drivers etc.

thanks!
>>
push
>>
>>80398221
Old expatriate here.
You just gotta learn the easy terms like calling a cab and other expressions. A lot of people talk basic english at least.

Theres a shit ton of foreigners.

I lived there in 2010 so no idea about fog now. I remember there being a lot of sandy winds from the gobi desert however.
>>
Plenty of foreigners, especially around the wudaoku area. Be aware of chinese women coming on to you to easily at the bar. just make sure that you are getting served real alcohol. also keep in mind that alot of the food products there are expired, they had plenty of stuff imported thinking the 2008 olympics would bring in plenty, but they never really sold all of it
>>
>>1224156
The smog is terrible although it varies based on the weather, tends to be worse in winter. You will notice an impact on your health but I doubt 4 months is long enough to leave you with lasting issues.
Nightlife is alright, don't expect it to be as advanced as Europe but still fun times to be had. Drinking is traditionally more something that is done during/after a dinner rather than a separate activity however western-style bars are common in big cities.
There are heaps of foreigners in Beijing so locals won't generally be that interested in you however most foreigners congregate around a few inner suburbs. Outside the major cities/tourist destinations expect a lot of staring, random people shouting 'hello', people asking for photos with (or sometimes just of) you.
English isn't as widely spoken as you think, however it's more widespread in Beijing. Most young people will know the basics but older people, especially in rural areas typically know little to none. Learn the basics - key phrases, common characters etc., particularly for things that are hard to gesture like toilet. The basics of the language are easy to pick up and you'll get a lot more out of your visit.
Read up on the common scams and issues like black taxis, counterfeit notes, tea scams etc.
>>
>>1224802
>A lot of people talk basic english at least
Not in my experience.
>>
>>1224156
>what can i expect especially in regards to nightlife and girls? im really into clubbing. and im single
Not been in China for a few years but the girls will really dig Europeans who are in decent shape. The nightlife scene is lots of fun.

>is the smog bad for my long-term health
4 months, you'll be fine

>will i stand out?
There are loads of laowai in Beijing but they tend to be concentrated in certain areas. The Chinese are an insular group and this makes it very easy to make friends with other foreigners because you have the shared experience of dealing with Chinese people.

>is english enough to get around
If you have no Mandarin skills, just make sure that you have an address on you at all times, in Mandarin, that will help you get home. Could be a printed address or a business card from a nearby cafe/bar that you know how to get home from.

The younger Chinese in Beijing usually know some English words but don't converse very well. Only ask girls for directions. Their English is usually better and also Chinese dudes seem to be genetically unable to admit it if they don't know something. If you ask directions, there's a real chance a dude will point you the wrong way. Girls over there at least reliably admit it if they don't know.

If you're only gonna be there for 4 months starting out with no Mandarin, your ability to interact meaningfully with the locals who don't speak English will be limited. That said, you should learn the basics for directing taxi drivers and ordering food - in particular you should learn how to count so as to be able to pay bills at restaurants/shops.

So do language exchanges with QT Chinese girls that you would like to bang. Half hour of Chinese, half hour of English. Buy her a coffee. It's best to come prepared to these things: every time you have an experience where you think "if only I knew how to say [something], this would work out better", make a note of in your phone and get the QT to coach you on how to say it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.