[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FL, GA, SC driving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: vlad.jpg (81KB, 750x605px) Image search: [Google]
vlad.jpg
81KB, 750x605px
Eurofag and wife will be driving a rental car between these three states, spending a lot of time on I-95, I-75 and I-20 driving from Orlando to Atlanta then Charlston then back to Orlando via Daytona Beach.

Whats the tolls like? Can I pay with cash? Anything amazing I should see on these roads? Anything I should avoid or be aware off?

Thanks in advance!
>>
Interstates are free, brabrah, so aslong as you stay on the interstate.

I can only speak for the orlando area, but depending on what road you take to get from orlando to 75, it will run you about $5 maximum to leave the Orlando area. Google maps will tell you whether or not a route has tolls and likely where they are.

>Anything amazing I should see on these roads?
FL is pretty goddamn boring desu man.

Can't speak as much for GA and SC
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>1224007
Samefag

Forgot, the Georgian State Police are stern, stern but fair.

(Don't speed or be dumb in Georgia. Always see FAR more people pulled over here than anywhere else in the southeast.)
>>
I have no idea what I-95 on the Florida end looks like, but If it is anything like it is in Massachusetts then the tolls will be max $1.50. Bring $5 in quarters just in case because often in Mass the tolls are less than a dollar. As for things to be aware of, generally take things slow on the roads, especially if you aren't well practiced on the rules of the road here, and people in the US drive like everyone else is an expert, and can be reckless sometimes, at least up north.
>>
>>1224011
I95 in Florida is literally a flat, straight line. There aren't any tolls on it.
>>
>>1224012
Ahaha goes to show how much I know about Florida.
>>
>>1224001
In S. Florida, they removed all the remaining "cash lanes" for toll roads and only have unmanned plate readers. You use the transponder SunPass which can be purchased at Publix supermarkets, CVS pharmacies and elsewhere. You call the 800 number on the package and make a money transaction over the phone to charge up the pass with cash (or use the website). They people on the phone are VERY good customer service and will answer any questions you may have about how much you really need. You can set up the account to automatically refill, but you don't need to do that. But, you can say "add $10, and when it gets to $0, add another $5, and the worst thing you do is have that amount left. Or, just call the number right before leaving town and see if there is a negative balance to finish off and then turn off the account, and maybe keep it for your next visit (or destroy it). Don't forget the next guy who rents the car will have your plate number, so don't forget.

If you ever get in a situation where you did not have a pass setup, then you end up in a pay-by-plate charge system, which then goes to your rental company, and they could charge you a $25/service fee for each transaction (well, they might so read your contract closely and keep a copy if the charges show up a couple weeks later on your credit card). So, make your first stop out of the rental car place to buy a SunPass or at least call them immediately with your plate number for when it gets read on your way to buy a sunpass.
https://www.sunpass.com/index
https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

For some great tips on where to go, where to stop, what to do, look at driving roadtrip vacations in Southern Living magazine, which should tell you what to do if you step off the interstate for shopping, food, interesting historical or cultural haunts. If you weren't intending to drive through St. Augustine, then I suggest it for day and evening. The cool stuff is far off the interstates.
>>
>>1224010
>Don't speed or be dumb in Georgia.
If you don't own a GPS that gives you a good obvious speed limit superimposed on the map, long before the signs appear, then install the Waze app and use it. This will be key to avoid tickets, because their speed traps are right where the sign isn't visible. Do not speed. at. all. ever. This is how local police make their budget each year, ticketing passer-through vehicles. Also, consider a high speed car charger so your phone power can stay ahead of the power drain from the apps.

Another unique fun thing to do are the cold springs in central and north florida.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Ichetucknee-Springs
>>
>>1224010
>Don't speed in Georgia

f you don't you will be rear-ended two or three times in a given day. In Georgia, people drive by the rule of thumb that the speed limit is 10 mph faster than the guy in front of them, and tailgating is the state sport.
>>
File: saturn 5.jpg (328KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
saturn 5.jpg
328KB, 720x480px
>>1224001
>Anything amazing I should see on these roads?
You will be reasonably close to pic related, if that interests you at all.
>>
>>1224043
I second this, it's pretty neat. OP, you'll be driving by some pretty famous beaches (Daytona, Cocoa, St. Augustine), it just depends on how much of a detour you're willing to make. 95 is a little inland, so you'll have to make an effort to go lots of these places.

Tolls have been explained pretty well, I'd suggest seeing what options your rental car company has, if they provide transponders and you just pay a flat fee, it's a lot less of a headache. In addition to Orlando, Atlanta has some tolls roads, but I don't think the systems are compatible. All of this is researchable, or you could just avoid the toll roads all together, not insanely difficult.

I've lived in FL, GA, and SC. Alongside the interstate, there's honestly not much to see. Florida is low and swampy, pine forests once you get far enough north, and eventually hills towards Atlanta out toward Columbia, SC. I can't speak for I-75, but you're going to see a lot of woods, farmland, and minor industrial sites along 95, 20, and 26.

>>1224041
This. You will never get a ticket if you're moving with the flow of traffic <10 mph over the limit.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.