[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever traveled with others? How does this work? Where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: dennysgrandslam.jpg (134KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
dennysgrandslam.jpg
134KB, 800x571px
Have you ever traveled with others? How does this work? Where do you find people to join you, and how to choose what to do?

I went on some family vacations when younger but most of family is afraid of flying, or just not interested in where I'd like to go.

My friends either prefer video games and TV and don't see the point of leaving home, or are too busy with work/careers and when they do rarely get time off would rather play with pets or run errands.

My ex-girlfriend wanted to travel with me but I was too poor so refused, now that I have more money I'd like to but my new girlfriend doesn't want to spend it on that.

I've visited about 9 countries but I'm always alone, and most of the people I meet are solo travelers as well. Is the idea of a bunch of friends going somewhere together like Eurotrip a myth?
>>
Nah, I'm a Brit and I've done the kind of holiday in your picture, not through some travel agent for invalids like that though. Got a good set of six mates that have stayed friends since we left school nearly a decade ago.

Did Magaluf in Majorca, and Malia, Crete. A week of drinking really chews you up and spits you out, god knows how I kept going; you basically get up about 3pm and drink until 6am before repeating. Some brilliant stories for it though.
>>
>>1223457
uwotm8?
That sounds great. As for the blows to your health, I suspect that is the sort of thing only youth permits. As a loner I'd be afraid to get that shitfaced because I don't want people stealing my stuff or fucking with me when I pass out.

The Czech Republic and Hungary look like they would be great places for this.
>>
>>1223454
/trv/ will hard-sell you on solo travel but sounds like you've already tried that so I won't bother.

Trying to get more than 2 people in the same place is hard work; it might be possible if you're uni students with long holidays but if you're dealing with working adults it's very difficult to find a time when everyone's availability lines up. Organising things is difficult too because everybody has different things they want to see, different budgets, expectations of comfort etc.

Eurotrip is kinda a myth, my experience is that in real life those style of trips are mostly pretty boring with a few drunk incidents that get exaggerated to epic proportions in all the retellings afterwards.

Despite these challenges travelling with mates can be a great experience and there are a few ways to make it work. The first is to have one person who enjoys managing things step up into that central role while the others have clear roles on what they have to organise and pull their weight so the leader doesn't have to work so hard. This often works better in a family where you have that clearly defined hierarchy.

Second option is to make the organisation as simple as possible, either by going through some tour/booking agency, or by keeping it very limited in the number of timings you have to meet.
>>
>>1223469
>/trv/ will hard-sell you on solo travel but sounds like you've already tried that so I won't bother.

Solo and non solo travel really come down to who you are, there is no "right" answer. I don't mind traveling solo because I get more freedom without having to really think of others schedule, others like groups for costs and being in a somewhat familiar crowd.

>Eurotrip is kinda a myth, my experience is that in real life those style of trips are mostly pretty boring with a few drunk incidents that get exaggerated to epic proportions in all the retellings afterwards

THIS SO MUCH. I can't tell you how many "Wild and wacky stories about sex orgies/drugs/etc" people have had only to ask them a month or so later about <event> and they dunno what I am talking about. Euotrip style things are literally how to BS your friends 101.
>>
>>1223469
I don't get lonely so I enjoy solo travel, but given the way co-workers freak when I tell them I'll be out solo I thought traveling with others would be worth checking out to see what the hype was about.
>>
is there a meetup site for people who want to find travel buddies, tried that here once but it became plz rspond.
>>
>>1223468

Funnily enough a couple of us did Prague last summer and have done Budapest in the past, prefer it really as there's more to do in the day, and on the night you still drink plenty of beer, but nowhere near as much as when you've got some slag pouring vodka down your neck.

As for staying safe, I can only advise taking out stuff you don't mind losing like a cheap hoodie and leaving your passport in the safe at the hotel/hostel and not taking all your cash.

I'm not the most sociable but especially with the culture of sharing large tables in student bars in those kind of places, you naturally start talking to people. Or asking if they would like to play pool/table football. If one group don't seem keen on foreigners, another definitely will.
>>
File: u9e18uX.gif (730KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
u9e18uX.gif
730KB, 500x258px
>>1223483
>prefer it really as there's more to do in the day
Prague or Budapest?
>>
>>1223480
Fair enough. I think both are great and it really depends on your personality and the type of trip as to which option you'll get more out of. Personally as I said I like group trips for shorter 'vacation' style travel with simple planning requirements.

Another point I didn't mention is you need to be willing to compromise if you're looking for people to travel with. That's not always such a bad thing because it can lead you to places you otherwise wouldn't have visited. So maybe instead of trying to convince people to go where you want, ask around as to what people want to visit and see if any of that appeals to you.

Another option is to start the trip on your own and join together with other solo/small group travelers on the road. You might stick with someone for a long time, or you might travel with a range of different people for a few days at a time. This is good because you're not obligated to stick together if things go bad. The downside is it's a bit of a crap-shoot as to whether you actually meet someone good to travel with; I was away 4 months and I only met one person whose personality and travel plans lined up with mine enough to stick together for a significant amount of time.
>>
File: budapest 2016 5.jpg (2MB, 1600x980px) Image search: [Google]
budapest 2016 5.jpg
2MB, 1600x980px
>>1223486

I more meant city trips in general, but if I had to pick one of the two, Budapest felt like there was more to see and do, lovely place.

Prague was more concentrated in a smaller old town and newer town centre with the castle on the other side of the river; meanwhile you have both Buda and Pest to see and it's more of a blend of old and new, and nowhere near as touristy.
>>
>>1223898

Not really, just British parlance for male friends like "mate". You're a bit of a loser if you're not "one of the lads".

I think "buddy" is a bit gay.
>>
>>1223898
It's just brit speak.

they use holiday the way we use vacation, so it doesn't even have to be christmas or something
>>
Man, I don't know if I'm the exception to the rule, or if 4chan is just full of boring as fuck people.

I've been on at least 30 trips with friends in my life, probably more.

In high school/college, we all used to hop in a car or two, drive out to California, and do what we called "feel it out" trips. Maybe we'd go to the beach, maybe Disneyland, maybe just drive to somewhere random and hit on girls. We'd scrape together money to get a shitty room somewhere and just party it up - no plans, and no smartphones. Those were the days.

Now that I'm in my 30s, I still go on at least two trips a year with multiple friends. Every year we do Santa Monica for 4th of July. This year we're doing Palm Springs. Last year I got together with 22 people in New York in April, and then together with a full bachelor party of old college buddies in Nashville for a week. 18 people.

I leave Wednesday for a trip to Philly with 15 people.

It's not a myth, I guess it's just about finding people who share your passion for travel.
>>
>>1224073
>>1224084
i understand the idiom, but that doesn't make it any less queer. it just sounds like they're going off to give each other cheeky bjs.
>>
>>1224107
its a possibility, Europeans are a bit more openminded

loosen up it's 2016

ps no girls allowed!
>>
File: it's what's for dinner!.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
it's what's for dinner!.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
>>1224135
you forgot
>no homo
>>
>>1223454
I think it's tough, but could be rewarding, OP. First you have to find some really chill people to travel with. It's annoying when you get going and you later find out you have nothing in common interests and end up sight seeing alone anyway, which is ok. I would go to eat or a bar with these people before to see if they are picky eaters or closed minded before hand.

As another said, assign roles to individuals. If nobody takes charge, then you'll spend an hour or 2 just to decide where to eat. Set some groundrules,but also remember that you are basically sharing this vacation with others. It'll require much more planning before hand to make sure everyone gets out of it what they want. Good luck.
>>
>>1223454
that image depresses me
>>
>>1224274
I bet it's easier to find people to travel with if you're female, life on easy mode
>>
>>1223457
You are worse than a Chinese tourist with your fellow bongs
Seriously, people, if you ever end up visiting Mallorca, avoid magalluf and el arenal where underage British/German faggots reside
>>
>>1224135
it's 2017 junge
>>
File: Magaluf.jpg (226KB, 1280x563px) Image search: [Google]
Magaluf.jpg
226KB, 1280x563px
>>1225781

Just a bit of a giggle mate, cheer up.

OI OI SAVELOY

Seriously though, both times it took me a couple of days to get into it against my better judgement, but it was a great, stupid experience that me and my friends still laugh about.
>>
>>1225909
what the fuck is magaluf?
>>
>>1225938

British colony on the Balearic island of Majorca, and the end of known civilisation.

Ridiculously cheap drink, even in the bars some do stupid deals like €10 for two or three hours of unlimited drinking. You just end up drinking till 6am, missing the sun, and waking up late afternoon to start drinking again. God knows why really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSpCJ8M4tp4
>>
A few of my friends have the same wanderlust as I do, so we try harder to make group trips work. It's not always easy. Sometimes somebody is short on cash and can't go. Sometimes some are busy with school or work. It's not always easy, but if you've got good friends it can be worth the patience and extra effort.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.