[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best travel guide for SEA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: TravelGuides.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
TravelGuides.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
I've got about $12,000 saved, and I want to travel SEA for as long as that will last me, starting this summer.

Are there any good guidebooks that I should read before I got or take with me? I'm going in pretty much blind with my only plan being to stay in hostels and travel around and see shit
>>
>>1223059
Stuff like lonely planet is good for getting ideas on where to go and gives a little bit of background to the place you're visiting. Review aggregators are generally better for finding places to eat and sleep; if a place gets in the LP they often start to offer less value because they know they will have a guaranteed stream of customers. Wikitravel is an option if all else fails, especially for very niche places but it is perpetually outdated so I'd keep it as a last resort.

I also think it's a good idea to do at least a bit of planning before you go. You don't need a itinerary but having a general idea of where things are and where you want to go helps avoid missing things and wasting time planning on the road. Also read up on the basic etiquette and common scams, it's easy to avoid running into trouble if you just make a basic effort to avoid it.
>>
>>1223063
thank you!!
>>
>>1223063
>Wikitravel
This.

Also, avoid tripadvisor like the plague, its cancer.
>>
>>1223059
You have 12,000 in the cheapest countries on earth.

Do whatever the fuck you want. Guidebooks are for nerds
>>
>>1223074
I wouldn't straight up ignore tripadvisor, it may be the only english-language option in smaller places and it's generally a better option than guidebooks. I do agree it does have problems, particularly with shill reviews and the fact that in tourist areas the top-rated places are usually not that good value because their business is built around attracting customers from tripadvsior rather than superior value.
>>
>>1223074
TripAdvisor is basically reddit with older people.

Although I use wikitravel a lot I was pleased with how much good shit was in Lonely Planet's Thailand book, it helped me find some great muay thai stuff
>>
>>1223059
why SEA?
>>
>>1223142
>TripAdvisor is basically reddit with older people.
>implying that's a bad thing
>>
>>1223170
So why aren't you on r/travelcucks?
>>
>>1223174
I visted once before my trip to Thailand. I honestly believed it would be more helpful than 4chan because of larger userbase and longer lasting threads, but it wasn't. Reddit is just fucking useless, in addition to boring and arrogant. Only thing worse is infinite chn's version of /trv/
>>
File: 1358692540057.jpg (491KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1358692540057.jpg
491KB, 1920x1080px
funnily enough, my main tool to get under-the-radar sights is the panoramio layer of google earth. Unfortunately, it will disappear in Nov 2017 and I still haven't found a proper alternative...
>>
>>1223059 (OP)
Pick up some ebooks and put copies on your phone.

Remove the protection from PDFs first, the password to LP PDFs is in the archive

https://4archive.org/board/trv/thread/1182336
>>
So an ex-coworker's husband went to Thailand in 2007. He cut himself with a razor then got AIDS which he gave to his wife(some old lady who used to work with me, she retired because of the AIDS). How prevalent is AIDS over there? I want to explore that country but that is holding me back. Like if I scrap my knee will I get AIDS?
>>
>>1223377
Is that what he told you?
>>
>>1223411
That's what she told me, I never met her husband. He left a negative review of the hotel because they provide previously used razors and last I recall they were thinking of suiing the hotel.
>>
>>1223377
>How prevalent is AIDS over there?
It does't really matter how prevalent it is.

Even if its not prevalent in your home country, that doesn't mean you go around fucking hookers, or what do people call it these days, 'cutting yourself with a razor', willy nilly. You take the same precautions there you would anywhere and you'll be fine.

I think you're much more likely to get some Hep strain, tetanus or a mosquito carried disease anyway, so get vaccines and wear repellant.
>>
>>1223377
>He cut himself with a razor then got AIDS
What a story!

Though possible if it had the HIV blood right on it from the person shaved just before you, it's improbable. Now hepatitis is pretty likely from a used razor. It can be reactivated again and again within 10-14 days pretty easily, even if dried or rinsed, and doesn't take very much for transmission either. What kind of ridiculously stupid idiot would use an unwrapped razor in a third world country is beyond me. I wouldn't even go to a dentist, let alone allow a barber to shave me. People are even neurotic about mosquitos around gay people since the 90s. Pedicure for $5? No thank you. Injection in a hospital? Nope. I value my health too much. Any medical devices that involve blood? Oh hell no. I'd need to be dying already, and it'd need to be impossible to go home for $10k last minute, a true emergency.

I knew the person with the first CJD in Florida. Ate a lot of brains abroad over the years. A real foodie!

Anyway, that coworker's guy cheated on her abroad. Or did something else risky at home. Long story short, the odds are simply that it'd be the reality. Sad facts of all.
>>
>>1223377
The idea of getting a blood-borne illness from a superficial cut is ridiculous but you should be always carry some antiseptic and dressings and use them promptly. I have seen tourists get pretty fucked up because they did stupid shit like cut their feet in dirty water then just left it until their whole foot was throbbing and red.
>>
>>1223377
Her husband fucked a ladyboy in the ass raw, or got fucked by one. That's how he got HIV. I will put money on it.
>>
>>1223448
>I wouldn't even go to a dentist
Funny because Thailand is one of the top medical tourism, to include dental, destinations. It's medical is also one of the reason it's popular with retirees, which is a concern when choosing a place to retire.
>>
guidebooks are a bit overrated - yes, they are good to get a lay of the land but you can figure that shit out on the internet too. Most of the places i saw or visited on my travels were from word of mouth from other travelers.
>>
>>1223504
If you know anything about dentristry and how much is reused, or expensively only used once, you'd realize you're simply ignorant.
It's a country in the grips of HIV epidemic and a medical facility trying to save money can and will cut corners in having enough sets of autoclaved available tools each day, and simply not have 50 sets of instruments at the ready.

Expats try to go to Singapore for serious medical treatment and gtfo out Thailand.
>>
>>1223636
>HIV epidemic

Because you say it doesn't make it true. The HIV rate in Thailand has been declining for years. And if you type medical tourism into Google it will auto complete Thailand. Other third world countries like India and Malaysia are also popular. http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/94/1/14-152165/en/
>>
>>1223448
the hospitals and dentists I went to in Thailand were top notch
>>
>>1223377
Why the fuck would someone pick up a razor of unknown origin? Fuck I wouldn't even use one that is in its package, I rather just bring my own. This goes for other things like condoms as well.
>>
>>1223377
Anon, he fucked a dodgy hooker and got it, not from a fucking razor. He is probably gay and fucked a boy or lady boy. The chances of getting aids from a razor is nearly impossible.

I've had dental work done there, it's higher quality than Australian work and it is about a fifth of the price.
>>
>>1223906
This, I fucked a lot of thai girls and hookers bareback and I never got AIDS.
>>
>>1223915
Me too anon. You would have to find some dirty street meat to find a thai with AIDS.
>>
>>1223919
>pol
Pretty much how our dicks is design prevent us from getting AIDS except for gay sex. Or if the girl is literally bleeding copious amount of blood.
>>
>>1223636
>Expats try to go to Singapore for serious medical treatment and gtfo out Thailand.
Funny, expats in SEA will invariably go to Thailand for any serious medical care that an embassy clinic can't handle.

Thailand's medical system is quite famous for being high quality at low prices.
HIV in Thailand is pretty well handled these days, the epidemic is in the parts of society that are less reachable, not in the mainstream sex industry.

>>1223906
>Anon, he fucked a dodgy hooker and got it, not from a fucking razor. He is probably gay and fucked a boy or lady boy.
Yeah, most likely bi and was fucked by a penis, feminine or otherwise. Most ladyboys know to use condoms but it's not universal I guess, especially if they're not the usual ones that fuck foreigners. There are boy bars in the sex districts too, local kids literally go there and suck cocks for money to then go play video games.

>The chances of getting aids from a razor is nearly impossible
This also. HIV is an extremely delicate virus outside the body, it's quite unlikely to get it from any transmission vector that isn't body-to-body. Sex is far, far more likely.

The one thing that is being overlooked though, is whether the guy told these lies to his wife or she's telling them to others. For all anyone knows, he has permission to go be fucked by ladyboys and the lawsuit is just a cover for the wife not having to explain their open marriage or something. Never presume to understand other people's relationships.
>>
>>1223925
Anal, as well
>>
>>1223925
W..why is our dicks so much better designed than female vagina?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.