[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trans-Siberian Railroad General!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: trans_siberian_map.jpg (249KB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
trans_siberian_map.jpg
249KB, 1100x500px
Advice/questions/stories about the trans-siberian railroad are all welcome

My friend are I planning to go from either Beijing or Vladivostok to Moscow this summer. Advice on which starting point is preferable, getting visas/other logistical pointers, or worthwhile stopping points along the way?
>>
Similar question but motorbiking around Europe soon.
Thinking of catching the train to Vladivostok with the bike as freight to then do Japan.
Tips?
>>
>>1223024
>be absolutely impervious to boredom
>have an iron liver. And another spare one if possible
>>
>>1223224
what do people do all day on the trains? do the cars have a social atmosphere?
>>
>>1223258
People mostly sleep, eat, read books and use their phones/laptops. The majority of people are on the train for ~20 hours at most, it's not like a journey on a ship across the ocean, there's no social atmosphere either.
>>
>>1223221
Just ride your bike to Vladivostok?
You can go at your own pace, visit the sights and cities you want to and decide how long you spend there, eat the food you want to. Or you can sit inside a smelly box eating disgusting food looking at the most boring scenery imaginable for a week.
>>
Is it true that the Trans-Siberian Railway only has a few good stops, with otherwise days of boring travel looking at barren landscapes from a train?
>>
>>1223879
Yes.
It's heavily romanticised.
It's just a shitty russian train.
It's popular because it's an accessible and relatively cheap form of overland travel for plebs who want to tell people they've been 'traveling'.
And don't try convince yourself you'll have some kind of 'cultural experience', because you wont. You will sit inside your 1st class cabin looking out the window eating chips.
>>
>>1223887
Pretty much true, I drank tea all day. Maybe my experience was a bit better in 2009 because smartphones hadn't become super popular yet. I met some cool Russians on the train
>>
>>1223878
Ok, what is worth seeing between Moscow and Vladivostok to make the extra time/effort worth riding?
And how many extra days?
I figured I'd have seen enough peasant villages and trees while getting to StPetersburg and Moscow.
>>
>>1223907
Irkutsk/Lake baikal is about it.

I wasn't that bored on the train, but I'm an extreme introvert who probably wouldn't get bored in a jail cell. I liked watching out the window and feel the clack of the tracks.
>>
File: 3741968888_13b23b1846_o[1].jpg (400KB, 864x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3741968888_13b23b1846_o[1].jpg
400KB, 864x1000px
>>1223907
>Ok, what is worth seeing between Moscow and Vladivostok to make the extra time/effort worth riding?
Stalingrad, Altai Republic (Most beautiful place in russia), visit a gulag, feed bears at the roadside (i can't guarantee this), take a quick detour into mongolia, enjoy the beautiful eastern russian women, have fresh shashlik and cold beers everynight, rather than tubs of instant mash potato and bottles of warm water, and you'll be able to tell people you rode across siberia and the far east, which might get you some pussy.
Or you could take your bike on the train for some of the really boring sections, and ride the more interesting ones, like altai.
>>
>>1224072
Just to clarify what i'm getting at; this idea that russia has nothing to offer outside of moscow is ridiculous. It's especially ridiculous when you have your own vehicle to explore it with.

>>>1223907
>And how many extra days?
I know of someone who done it in 9 days, but he is not a normal human being. I'd say 3 weeks, probably a bit less, would be a comfortable timeframe if you want to take a few detours, though i'm sure it could be done in 2 weeks if you stay on the trans-siberian highway. It's quite a common trip amongst russian bikers.
>>
>>1223887
>It's heavily romanticised.
>It's just a shitty russian train.
Indeed.
The olden days had upper class experiences.
But, you can recreate them today on "luxury" cars and private trains on the same route.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.