[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Middle East TEFL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: middle-eeast-sunset.jpg (2MB, 1335x1438px) Image search: [Google]
middle-eeast-sunset.jpg
2MB, 1335x1438px
Which middle eastern country would be the most ideal one for doing TEFL? Ideally looking for a country that does not imprison you for drinking alcohol?

Share some experiences?
>>
>>1222189
UAE, Qatar, or Bahrain. Saudi Arabia, if you are in a place that is within driving distance of these 3 countries. I have heard Kuwait is okay, but not fun, so you will find yourself flying to Bahrain or UAE. But Kuwait is still very liveable, alcohol can be found, and you can possibly date locals, or have the low hanging fruit of the Filipinas that live there, who do throw good house parties and love to cook. I have not met any teachers from Oman.

Also note that 9/10 they aren't ESL teachers there. You are a regular teacher with ESL certification.
>>
I've heard from multiple sources that UAE is a "sell your soul" situation where it sucks but you make really good money. Hopefully someone else can explain more about why exactly that is, cause I don't really know.
>>
>>1222271
They are probably talking about supporting a Muslim country who they feel violates civil rights. Ignoring the fact that the laborers they call slaves are from the lower castes of South Asia and they are making a better living than they would in their own country.

I miss my manservant, "Paul"
>>
>>1222267
>But Kuwait is still very liveable, alcohol can be found

I'm not sure how correct that is. Last time I was in Kuwait, this was not true unless you worked in a western embassy and were careful as fuck.
>>
>>1222295
There's black market if you are in the know. Funny enough the Embassy was behind most, if not all of it. Contractor there, but as a former Marine, not hard to get in with the MSG guys to not even pay the mark up. I reckon your average teacher doesn't have access to that crowd, generally speaking or may not know of it. But most contractors know how to find alcohol. Even in Saudi Arabia. Hell, working as an advisor for the Saudi government, the government officials would ask for alcohol from people who had access to it from the Embassy.
>>
>>1222272
>Ignoring the fact that the laborers they call slaves are from the lower castes of South Asia and they are making a better living than they would in their own country.
That's not really a valid argument; claiming that they were worse off in their home country isn't relevant if their situation is still shitty. I don't have a dog in this race but I've heard people say similar things to justify slavery in the US as well
>>
>>1222328
They aren't actual slaves, though. They are there of their own free will in an improved situation. It'd be like calling the Mexican day laborers and farm hands slaves. Except the Indians are actually there legally.
>>
>>1222328
Not to delve too deeply into what is not really a /trv/ subject, but it is probably worth noting that workers in Dubai sign up for the work and stand in line to get it, which I'd agree says more about conditions in their home countries than about the wonderful working environment in Dubai.

And that's all I'll say on that, onto further discussion of traveling.
>>
Can't you live without alcohol?
>>
>>1222267
except for maybe Bahrain and Oman, none of these countries are desperate for unqualified English teachers.

They have their own large pool of qualified English teachers to teach at their international, and even local schools
>>
>>1222328
difference is these guys chose to go live and work in the Middle East for 3x or 4x times the pay they would make back home

You really don't know how poor these people are, they aren't just lower class people living in shitty packed homes, they aren't evenhomeless people begging on the streets, they are actually so poor that they sometimes starve to death. If you have to blame anyone, blame the Indian and Bangladeshi government that allows people like that to be in that condition and not be helped.

Also a lot of these people stay and work for several years, and end up saving enough cash to buy a shop (the most common case) back in their own country, and have a decent life
>>
I'm interested in doing this down the road. I'm getting my masters in teaching end of 2018.

Can I smoke a tobacco pipe and drink coffee?
>>
>>1222909
Sheesha (usually called hookah over here) is more popular than cigars. But the local coffee shops/lounges double as sheesha bars, and vice versa.
>>
>>1222895
Unqualified? Who said anything about Unqualified teachers? I even said the ESL is a supplement to your teaching certification. To add to that, the preferred credentials are from the USA or UK/AUS. To add to that, I am not sure what pool you are talking about. Almost all teachers are expats Also not sure why you delineated Bahrain and Oman from the others.
>>
>>1222330
>>1222897
I never said they were slaves (in fact, literally no one in this thread did). I said that that isn't a valid argument against what are allegedly poor working conditions or mistreatment.

>these guys chose to go live and work in the Middle East
>they are actually so poor that they sometimes starve to death
Which one is it, dumbass? It's not a choice if your other "option" is death. Not like this would be an argument in your favor regardless since this is one of the tragedies that people are accusing these governments/employers of exploiting.
>>
>>1222983
They even teach in International Business that you can't transpose your standards, morals, and values on to other nations. What you call exploiting is actually helping and improving these people's lives
>>
File: 1447294601526.jpg (13KB, 240x150px) Image search: [Google]
1447294601526.jpg
13KB, 240x150px
>>1222993
>you can't transpose your standards, morals, and values on to other nations
>muh relativism
Give me a fucking break.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.