[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel Jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: 20100719-tpr-beauty.jpg (41KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
20100719-tpr-beauty.jpg
41KB, 500x375px
Soon to be college graduate here, I'm looking into travel jobs that I could fuck around in for a year or two. Does anyone here have experience with travel jobs of any kind, good or bad? Please share how you got started in it and any interesting travel job experiences.
>>
>>1221825

Go backpacking in SEA where they have laxed employment laws and work in hostels and bars.

Potentially cruise ship work, though I think as a person who has no real experience in anything that could be hard.

Otherwise if you wanted more long term study hard and become a Pilot, Geologist or Consultant for high paying travel heavy work.
>>
>>1221995
>Geologist

How does that involve travel?
>>
>>1222003

You gotta go find where them ores are buddy.

Its mainly fly in fly out work with like a 2 weeks on and 1 week off. Jobs all around the world that need to be filled, once one project in one location finishes you fly out to the next destination.

Would be the best job if you had any interest into travelling to remote locations or countries you have never heard of before, Pilots and consultants mainly travel around the western world but geologists go everywhere.
>>
>>1222003
They send you around the world to look for useful minerals. Might do 6 months in Cambodia then another 6 months in Australia.
>>
>>1222003
Fly around the world and frak shit up
Travel to oil rig
>>
There are plenty of entry level cruise ship jobs. They're floating resorts and just like any resort they need peons to wash dishes, scrub toilets, and mop floors.

Cruise jobs can suck though. Long contracts, no privacy, sparse shore leave. Plus cruise ships are floating disease factories. I've seen what norovirus does to people, it's horrifying.

OP, just think of places you want to go and then hop on coolworks to see if there's jobs there.

I'm assuming you're under 30 so you still qualify for WHV programs in most countries.

Or you could spend a summer in Alaska, that's always a blast.
>>
File: youbetchya.jpg (126KB, 516x750px) Image search: [Google]
youbetchya.jpg
126KB, 516x750px
>>1221995
>>1221825
>cruise ship work

So a few years ago there was a thread here on /trv/ about working in the United States Merchant Marine. Long story short, I looked into it after that thread and have been a merchant mariner for almost 3 years now.

Went to a vocational school run by the Seafarer's International Union and got my credentials to sail. I've been on three ships so far and have been all over the place.

Travelling to cool places may be hit or miss depending on what ship you get on and its run. My first ship was a tanker and all it did was go from Corpus Christi, TX to an oil rig and back and forth which sucked. Since then though, I've been to PI, Okinawa, Japan, Peru, Fiji, Tonga, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, and Guam. People from my same class have also been to Thailand, Dubai, Korea, U.K., Spain, and a bunch of other places.

This all sounds great but you do have to actually work even when the ship is in port. However, as soon as you knock off you can just leave and go wonder around until the next day.

I'm not the most well spoken person but if anyone has any questions, I'll keep an eye on this and try to help.
>>
File: IMG_20170225_161657248_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170225_161657248_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>1222046
Awesome! I too was inspired by the Internet (particularly Martin Machado) to become a mariner. Currently an OS/deckhand doing tug & barge work (1.5 years) for a small company on the east coast. Have my BT, VPDSD, and Lifeboatman, and in a few weeks am going to take the class to get my AB Special.

So you went to Piney Point? Engine or deck? Are you an AB or did you get a license? Do you get your work through an SIU hall? If so, can you tell me anything about how that works? How do you like your current job? What are your plans?

I'm ready to change jobs as soon as I get my AB. A big part of me wants to work on cargo ships for a few years just to fulfill a long-time goal of shipping around the globe. (Like you, I'm into going to new places.) However, while I have a basic understanding of officer life on big ships (I watch JeffHK on YouTube, for example), it's been harder to learn about the life of the unlicensed crew. I wonder if it would be more or less demanding than what I do now. I also wonder if there even *are* many opportunities for American AB Specials. Like, if I went to a SIU hall, would I have any shot of getting a gig within, say, a month?

If container ships don't work out, I may just move to Seattle or somewhere and try to work on a harbor or ocean going tug or something. At least then I'd be living in a nicer region (vs. deep south right now), working for a more professional outfit, and probably getting more time off (I do 4 weeks on, 2 off).

Have also considered research vessels, but I've heard UNOLS work can be pretty sporadic.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any answers, insights, or advice much appreciated!
>>
>>1221825
The military isn't just for people without a college degree, go to officer school.

Become an airline pilot ( should have paid for this instead of your major, honestly).

Become sea/shipping merchant

Invest in foreign businesses maybe?
>>
>>1221995
Not OP Here but How exactly do I become a consultant for companies- what do I have to study?
>>
>>1222662
You can be a consultant with literally any degree. Just finish top of your class at an elite school, have good extra curricular and work experience, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1222654
Anything involving boats or planes turns me off, i get motion sickness pretty easily.
>>
>>1222662
Alot of consultant companies want people with MBAs if you don't have experience. Look at different MBA programs and research their rep in the consulting community, or the percentage of the class that ends up in consulting. Business schools keep all of this info
>>
Is OP looking for a job or a career?
>>
File: aloha.jpg (84KB, 470x640px) Image search: [Google]
aloha.jpg
84KB, 470x640px
>>1222628
Yeah I went to Piney Point once I got my TWIC and MMC. Deck department is best department. I'm an AB right now and am planning on getting my license once I have the seatime.

The first two ships I were on were arranged for me by SIU since I was in their apprentice program. After that, it's up to you to go to the union hall and find a job. Obviously you have to be a member of the union, but you just walk in, take 5 minutes and register, then wait until a job pops up on the board. Sometimes you have to compete with other people if you both want the same job but it's not difficult to find work depending on what hall you're in.

>Unlicensed crew

If you're an OS right now, it's probably not that different than what I do. It's more physically demanding than what the officers do. Unlicensed do all the grunt work. Garbage, painting and chipping, moving shit around deck, line handling during mooring ops, latching stuff down to the deck. We also stand watches with the mates which is insanely easy. Just stare out the window and spin the wheel occasionally.

I'm not entirely sure how you join SIU without going through the apprentice program but since you already have your MMC and TWIC it will probably be pretty easy for you. However, you'll start off with a 'C' card and compete for jobs against people with 'A' and 'B' cards. I've met people that enter the apprentice program just to get their 'B' card because they couldn't get work as 'C' cards.

Here's all the info about the UA program with SIU: http://seafarers.org/jobs/ua.html
>>
>>1222046
>>1222628
>>1224089

Shitposting on watch is where it's at. 2/M here.

>>1223088
Jeeze. Maybe try being a truck driver for a bit or something. A CDL is always nice to have in your back pocket.
>>
File: IMG_20170316_154107259.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170316_154107259.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
>>1224089
Thanks for the reply, man. Sounds like the apprentice program worked out well for you. I've seriously considered it (actually did submit an app at one point) but I just don't feel like it's the right thing for me to do right now.

I think I'll try my luck as a C book at the Jax. SIU hall. Not confident of my chances so I'll probably go on my two weeks off.

Thanks again and safe travels
>>
TSA Federal Air Marshal. Good luck getting in though.
>>
>>1223137
Well, the dream would be a career that involves travel, but for now id like a job i could do for a few months to travel without burning all my money.
>>
>>1226178
Go to coolworks and start there.
>>
File: 1000hoursofwork.png (264KB, 612x475px) Image search: [Google]
1000hoursofwork.png
264KB, 612x475px
Travel jobs general? Travel jobs general.

I'm about to start working on getting various computer certificates because I'm too dumb to get a degree in computer science. What should I really focus on to get a good work from home situation going? Also would companies get annoyed if I took a work from home job and then just went to live in SEA or something?
>>
>>1226229
This was made as a travel jobs general ffs
>>
Working in academia or working for the gubbament are always good ideas. Professors get opportunities to travel all the time, especially if you do research in an area where travel is basically required (humanities and social sciences usually, especially linguistics). I have a buddy who works for the DoD who travels a lot for work, usually 6-7 times a year to south america or the middle east
>>
>>1226295
Not an American, but how does an American get a job with the DoD or other government positions? Here in Canada, I think we have many fewer defense organizations, so it's tougher.
>>
>>1226781
Right now Trump has hiring freeze, but this is how:

>>1226295
>>1226781
https://www.usajobs.gov/

That said, the trick for government jobs is to get any government job that will hire you, and move around from there. The best jobs are open only to current DOD workers. I have friends working in Germany and Bahrain right now, for 3 years, with right of return which means after being overseas their old job or a similar position will be waiting for them.

2nd trick is networking, a lot of DOD hires are more on who you know, than what you know, which is why the DOD/Govt is so fucked. Too much nepotism.
>>
>>1226788
Any particular majors that they prefer?
>>
>>1226789
nah, government is on everything. Pick what you prefer. My focus is Distribution/Logistics and Supply/Contracts.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.