[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ethiopia and surroundings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Flag_of_Ethiopia.svg.png (59KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Ethiopia.svg.png
59KB, 2000x1000px
Any anons been to Ethiopia?

I have about 6 months of time to kill and I need to find an interesting place where I can travel around and spend very little money/ do workaway stuff, and I know that Ethiopia, being the afaik only African country that was never colonized, has a pretty rich culture and history, even though its pretty poor nowadays, but should be safe enough for someone with a bit of experience traveling.

Has anyone done couchsurfing/ workaway-ing there? If so how many opportunities are there to work for food and a place to sleep and what work would I expect to do? I havent got an account at the moment but Ill get one when I know for sure Ill go.

Also what other countries are must see in the region?
My parents have been to Kenya some 25 years ago and absolutely loved it, so I guess that could be a destination for me as well.
South Sudan and Somalia are probably still too dangerous to be worth it?
Would 6 months be enough time to make my way down to Mozambique or even Madagascar? I know africa is a bitch when trying to get from point A to a specific point B, so Im not even sure.
>>
>being the only african country that was never colonized
think again https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Italo-Ethiopian_War
>>
>>1221316
Only did stop-overs in Addis on the way to South Africa.

I absolutely love the pricing of Ethiopian Airlines. A return from Stockholm to Addis can go for as little as 415 dollars. 7hour and 30 minute flight.
>>
File: 34a.png (454KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
34a.png
454KB, 600x450px
>>1221316
>Goes to one of the poorest countries on earth
>Needs to work for food

How the fuck can you go through life being such a poorfag? Jesus if you collected welfare in any Western country you could stay in fancy hotels and eat restaurant every day in Ethiopia.

Like do you honestly have no self respect? Can you not live at mom's and wash dishes at TGI Friday's for a few months until you scrape up $1200?
>>
>>1221552
No I'm not done with you. Because there's always some faggot who's usually from France or Italy, at every hostel, who takes leftover pasta from the drawers and tries to hagle the price of a bed in a 16 bed dorm because he had a strict budget of 20 EUR per day. And they'll always be unshaven and drink hobo wine do that stupid fucking finger wag. Fuck that finger wag and fuck you. Hustle harder, make money, get a savings account, no you don't need to roll in there like Richard Branson but for fuck sake lad the occasional cheeseburger should not be a distant fantasy.
>>
>>1221552
Not him, but don't go all sperg here.

You are wrong if you think that working for a shit wage in the west will help him get money for the trip. If you have a shit wage, you spend all on staying alive/rent. If somebody would throw money/free food, at him, while traveling, why say no?

>>1221316
OP, try content writing. It requires very little bandwidth, and you can do it with an old computer.
>>
It's not like Ethiopia is actually in need of cheap labor, and housing/feeding you to your minimum standard certainly won't be "cheap" for them. So I would be surprised if you find many options.

I didn't spend too long there, just over a week in Addis and Harar, but from what I saw I wouldn't want to live there.

I'd live in Kenya or Southern Africa without hesitation but the culture of Ethiopia just hit me in the wrong way. Elsewhere in Africa people were almost exclusively quite friendly and personable, but I just got a weird vibe much of the time in Ethiopia. I've heard that it can be a bit xenophobic, and occasionally I did get that sense.

I had lots of fun in Nairobi though it's dangerous as hell. Probably the easiest place for the average white guy to get laid in the world, IMO, and the nightlife can get pretty wild. Outside of that people are very well-spoken and really fascinating to talk to, and of course the wildlife is unmatched.

6 months is plenty of time to make it as far south as you want, but taking buses down there is not a pleasant experience.
>>
>>1221472
Do you really count occupation as being the same as colonization?

>>1221552
I have no idea how to reply to this post. Was I unclear of my intentions? I want to have fun, first and foremost, which is why I wont stay here and work minimum wage 8 hours a day.
If you have information on how much I can expect to spend on acommodation and food every day there Id be very interested, but even if its one of the poorest countries, I still wont be able to live for 6 months just off of savings, and I cant save more money because the 6 months I dont want to work minimum wage have already started.

>>1221587
>content writing
Like a travel blog? Ive met people who did this but not sure if I can be bothered. I guess it could be worth while since ethipopia isnt a popular travel destination so there shouldnt be any supply of blogs. Probably not much demand either though... Ill keep it in mind.
>>
>>1221601
In my experience even if a country has little demand for unskilled labor, there are still plenty of opportunities for workaway.

But that info on Ethiopia is really interesting. Im not fixed on the country at all, just thought with its distinctly non-european culture it should definitely stand out from the rest of africa, which is usually either africanized english or french culture.
If I do go there and find myself hating the people and everything I will just go somewhere else.

Thanks also on making Kenia sound fun! My parents had their train hijacked there, so if I go, Ill have to experience something to top that...

>taking buses down there is not a pleasant experience
How are the buses there? Crowded and slow Id imagine, presumably nothing like the comfortable coaches of south america?
>>
>>1221608
I definitely didn't *hate* it, but looking back on it, I just had sort of an uncomfortable feeling much of the time. When I got a little bit away from the major tourist areas I definitely felt either a little bit unwelcome, or like a major target for people trying to get money. It was definitely a contrast to other places in Africa where I'd be the subject of curiosity and people would be extremely friendly away from the tourist centers.

Muggings and crime against foreigners aren't a major problem because the authoritarian regime punishes crimes against foreigners very severely. As a result I was able to walk around alone down random sketchy streets at 2AM in Addis.

Also be aware there is some tension between ethnic groups that has popped up within the last year, sometimes it leads to violent riots. So there's a possibility of a violent coup there in the next year or two, same as Kenya with their election-related issues.
>>
>>1221601
People in Harar are quite crazy and there are quite some rotten apples. Addis is an african big city and not the worse for that matter (Nairobi anyone?). The Amhara region is ok, I didn't encounter assholes, just people asking for money every now and then but genuinely friendly. Tigray was fucking amazing, everybody friendly and almost nobody was interested in my money. I just had a blast there
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.