[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Austin TX What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: atx.jpg (79KB, 650x362px) Image search: [Google]
atx.jpg
79KB, 650x362px
Austin TX

What went wrong?
>>
Good question. It definitely sucks here.
>>
>>1219378
Way too much growth way too fast.

It had a pretty distinct culture in Texas ("Hippies and cowboys, together in harmony!") and then the tech boom of the '90s hit and all of a sudden everyone wanted to move there.

The Hill Country blocks it off from expanding west, so it's sprawled out in all the other directions. Plus, building on top of the plateau fucks up the aquifers.

No one thought to expand the highways to deal with the projected population growth and now it's too late.

And because of its long-time reputation as the bluest county in a very red state, the Texas Legislature isn't particularly inclined to do anything to improve the infrastructure there.
>>
>>1219388
All of this and also it became popular with the internet. The internet spread the word faster than anything before. When people start getting on forums looking for the hottest up and coming city, Austin was the #1 hit for probably 15 years from the late 90s. See also: Denver, Seattle, Portland

The next cities I see this effect coming to are places like Pittsburgh, Raleigh or Charlotte which are all growing very fast due to state investment in job creation.
>>
>>1219419
It makes me think all I need to do is move to a cool ass city while it's still cheap to live there and never tell anybody about it. If anything I should probably just complain.
>>
>>1219421
Albuquerque, New Mexico is about to become the next Hollywood. You heard it hear first. Invest in the low cost housing while you still can and the economy is shit.
>>
>>1220737
I SAID A!
>>
>>1220754
>A!
L!
>L!
B!
>B!
U!
>U!
???
long musical interlude
KER-KEEEE!
>KER-KEEEE!
>>
>>1219378
White people ruin everything they touch
>>
>>1220737
Care to explain. I've taken a bit of an interest in the Southwest as a possible home in the future, so I'd love to hear.
>>
>>1220894
White people made everything you touch
>>
>/trv/ rule one
>>
I contributed to the solution. I left.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (162KB, 1024x992px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
162KB, 1024x992px
>>1221050
>>
>>1219378
That's funny, I was just researching Austin.

I was thinking of moving to Texas (from Ohio) for finance work. Austin looked nice because I wanted to bike and have some nice looking buildings around.

What's so unbearable about it? Texan women, weather, and taxes..
>>
>>1221288
I'm scratching my head. I have a rather lengthy prepared post, and I don't mean to be a dick, but are those the only qualifying conditions--riding a bike and looking at buildings?

The women are sexually permissive. Some of them come from either CA or AZ and are really attractive. The other mostly come from elsewhere in Texas and Mexico. Most of the women are attractive and take good care of themselves. A lot of people run, bike, hike, exercise, and are diet/health conscious. The women are awesome.

Culturally it is a strange melange of West Coast, Southern, Latin American, and Texan. Yes, even if we can all agree that Texas=Southern and Texas=Latin American, most Texans would take umbrage with that idea. Texas is unlike any other place I have ever lived. People are so different. The only way I can describe it is like crash-landing on an alien planet and some of the people just so happen to speak English and that is the only connection you will have with them

The weather? It's fucking hot. Practically year round. Texans are cute (read: ridiculous) because they wear fleeces and sweaters in the 60s during Late November through Early February. It snowed once in the four years I lived there and freezing rain was more common when it got properly cold.

Taxes? No state income tax. Otherwise they tax alcohol/liquor and I don't think I ever noticed that anywhere else. Before you chime in and tell me they tax it in every state except for duty free places, I mean alcoholic beverages. So, if I order a scotch and ginger ale in a restaurant, there's an added liquor tax on top of the sales tax.

Fire away with more questions. I have a lengthy prepares post I'll drop briefly lol.
>>
>>1221288
Infrastructure. The traffic is horrendous. People will say that NYC, LA, and DC are worse, and they're probably right, but the difference is you're in NYC, LA, or DC. I can't speak to things like finance, but Austin is a tech town. I would not move back unless I had somehow acquired some sort of tech expertise by majoring in computer science or a pertinent engineering field, or earning IT certs and acquiring experience, or being some sort of self-taught guru that has a billion dollar idea. That last one is hyperbolic, but most of the people I met that were transplants were highly qualified, experienced, skilled, and/or educated were working dick jobs. E.g. The girl with the masters in (the not right field of) engineering from Purdue with co-ops, work experience, and some accolades that I briefly dated who was working as a temporary worker at Kendra Scott in which she fabricated cheap jewelry by hand and loaded it into boxes for 10-dollars-an-hour. Her story isn’t that weird in Austin.

Those who were fortunate lived with an adequate number of roommates. What do I mean by adequate? I mean two or three or four depending on the absolute outer limit of what the lease allowed. Others would cram together like the Transatlantic Slave Trade in a small house for rent and live like Van Gogh's Potato Eaters. We're not only talking enough people to violate a lease, but enough people to squat in their cars on the property in the drive way. Plenty of people lived in their cars too.

TL; Dr Economic inequality is severe. Competition for jobs in other states that people would laugh at is beyond fierce.

Protip: You will not get that junior financial analyst job at Ernst & Young. You will probably work as a marketing assistant for wgaf/wgas company and sling beers and serve tacos at Torchy’s on the side to make ends meet. I will be having the Chile Lime Pork and the Crossroads both with corn tortillas and a frozen lime margarita with a floater of Don Julio.
>>
>>1221288
Go to San Antonio or Houston if you're going for finance work in Texas. Infrastructure was better planned for growth and it absolutely shows, and both have growing finance industries from what I've heard. Austin is not a finance city. It is very tech oriented. It's like Silicon Valley in the sense that it's a great place to work if you're good with computers, and a mediocre city for any other line of work.
>>
File: IMG_0668.jpg (59KB, 709x562px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0668.jpg
59KB, 709x562px
It went to shit years ago
>>
>>1221531
Tfw there's quite a few spics in Austin

Source: I'm one of those spics
>>
All the libtards in the real parts of texas moved there, and it became the asscrack, like any other place full of dems.
>>
texas for one
>>
>>1221336
All of this sounds great. So Austin is bad is only bad if you are a conservative NEET?
>>
File: 1479450928227.png (142KB, 768x665px) Image search: [Google]
1479450928227.png
142KB, 768x665px
>>
>>1219378
Californians

/thread
>>
>>1221632
See my other post >>1221338
Austin is steeply competitive for jobs, any jobs. Economic inequality is pretty bad and chances are you will not be a member of the city's haute/petite bourgeoisie. Real estate is absurd for not California prices. Rents are bad. The bizarre soup of people that have transplanted to Austin have upset the cultural biome and continue to do so. Manners, societal and cultural expectations, politics, etc. are all over the map, and while people think diversity is good (and I don't mean racial/ethnic) the cultural divide of people being from the Bay Area in California to bumfuck, KY to NYC to other parts of TX causes some tension. You will be resented for coming to Texas and to Austin. Texans will resent you because you're a Yankee carpet bagger. Austinites will not care where you're from as every other state is pretty much California to them. People here may deny it to their dying gasp, but you will run into plenty of people who will say 'bless your heart' that's code for you're 'a fucking retard.' It's usually delivered in a simpering sweet affected drawl. Oppositely, most of the native Texans and Austinites are vastly outnumbered, so if this is a problem you can always meet plenty of people from elsewhere. I got along with pretty much everyone. A lot of people would air to me that they hated the outsiders, but I was alright because I was passing through. There are some that are genuinely sweet that don't mind. Visit first. See for yourself.
>>
>>1221635
Based Fort Worth
>>
>>1220894
It's not opposite day, anon.
>>
FUCKING CALIFORNIANS
>>
>>1221635
>Body of Christ holding off the invading horde from Hueco Mundo
Atheists btfo
>>
Californians ruin everything.
>>
It's the kind of place where every "new graduate" position I applied for was also being applied to by dozens of masters and PhD students.
>>
>>1221288
>Texan women

They're amazing, hot and sweet, but it's a tech city. That means that the gender ratio is way off in Austin, which makes dating difficult. So if you aren't in the college crowd, you'll end up dating way down compared to what you could do in other cities.
>>
Too many immigrants. Too many fake hippies.
>>
Texan here.

Originally from Houston. Have lived in Austin for 4 years for school.

I think I was happier in Houston, and I'm not really sure why. Theoretically, Austin has friendly and more down to earth people here. And more stuff to do.

I'm not really sure why I've never really been all that happy here.

I think it's because people here often aren't as genuine and down to earth. In Houston, people were pretty blunt and down to Earth and just enjoyed a good time, Just hanging out, having a beer, playing some poker, watching a game, fucking around. Simple as that. But it seems like here, many people are just inaccessible in that they think very highly of themselves. People here have never felt as genuine or blunt to me, and their heads are usually in the clouds, Many Austinites are very eccentric, and therefore inaccessible, with ideas of grandeur. Most friendships I've had here have felt skindeep, because I've always felt like they were stepping stones for other people.

Don't let me bum you out though, it might just be me. I'm just saying, I can't really put my finger on it, but I think it's that people here aren't as blunt.

I really just miss my normal friends back home to be honest
>>
File: 1421333795253.jpg (79KB, 403x498px) Image search: [Google]
1421333795253.jpg
79KB, 403x498px
>It's another /pol/ thread
>>
>>1219378
>What went wrong?
Nothing. But if you prefer a more divey city there's always Fort Worth.

Or if you hate yourself you can move to San Antonio.
>>
>>1223689
>Originally from Houston.
See Woodlands.
>>
>>1221338
Nah son, it's all about that Democrat and Fried Avocado
>>
>>1223921
>Fried Avocado
>dat poblano sauce
unnnffffffffff
>>
>>1223706
What about the Woodlands? And it is 'The Woodlands' 'The' is part of the name.

I'm from The Woodlands XD

Haven't been there since like 2003 though lmao XDDD
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.