/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 34

File: Uk7a0fu.jpg (33KB, 323x396px) Image search: [Google]
Uk7a0fu.jpg
33KB, 323x396px
Ask questions that dont deserve their own thread

Any recommendations for shite to check out in Hannover. Is the nightlife any good ?
>>
Thoughts on buying plane tickets OTC?
Is it a good idea? Is it more expensive in general?

I'm thinking about a situation where you can't buy online for whatever reason (your CC was stolen, you reached your CC limit, the company won't accept debit online, etc).
>>
Planning a Euro trip and looking for some advice. How long should I spend in Tallin,Stockholm, Helsinki and Hamburg? Also is Gavle worth checking out?
>>
>country bumpkin
>terrified of world
>required business trip to vegas

So I figured that I would make the best of it. Trains are awesome so I would go home by train. I have a connecting bus to the LA union station.

The problem comes in
>greyhound
>leaves Las Vegas at 3am Friday

So I am at the MGM. Im told to use uber but I dont know how it works, I can probably use taxi. Reviews tells me the LV greyhound station is awful in the day.

What is safest route to get into the station with luggage? Do I get a ride earlier in the day and hang out at the Plaza then walk? Do I get a an hour and a half early so I am there a hour early? Is there an inside that is safe (finding conflicting reviews).
>>
i know it's kind of stupid thing to ask but i'm a very obsessed man.

i want to rent an appartement on airbnb with my girlfriend but i worry that there could be a hidden cam or something like that.

am i the only one?
>>
Hey /trv/ I'm going to Canada to visit my girlfriend for the first time ever! It's a 9 day trip and I just need to know what my options are for converting currency and/or just being able to use some kind of card or something. I have a bank card that works like a credit card but pulls from my spending account and doesn't work on credit and doesn't require a pin. Think I can just call my credit union and tell them when I'll be traveling and they will unlock my card? I just need some ideas! Worst comes to worst I can always just bring a wad of cash and currency exchange it, right?
>>
>>1220042
You can exchange currency there but it's better to do it beforehand via your bank if they offer the service. Via my bank if I pull out 1,000 USD of another currency I get it done for free at a fair rate. Currency exchanges in country always jip you a bit.
>>
>>1219754

Well I got to the station at 5 so that I could get there before the sun fell. Transients everywhere outside. People kept beggin for money.

Since I have been here
>guy stole another guys phone
>white trash took a bus from phoenix to meet her ex husband and hand over their kid, got in a fight, and left again
>two old people kept trying to od on pain pills
>same old guy dropped a coffee cause not enough sugar
>guy who I think stole the phone wandered off, then wandered back in and vomited all over the place
>have been here 6 hours and wont use bathroom because I can smell it from 50 feet away
>lights have flickered a few times
>people arguing over the outlets
>asians book cheap rides on their vacations and realize how shitty their decision was, take cab back to airport to fly to destination instead

So far havent been stabbed so thats a plus.
>>
>>1220139

Amtrak gave me an impossible itnirary. They scheduled me for a bus that doesnt exist and never did, so they put me on one running 10 min later to same destination.

Naturally it ran late and I will miss bus.

Time to all my sheks on a rental and drive home
>>
My folding bicycle just fucked and I need to get it repaired, but the repair shop is 40 minutes away.

Will a regular Uber take the bike in the boot or will I need an UberXL? Will an XL take it?

I know a travel board may not respect either Uber or a guy who rides a folding bike but trust me these are my only options. I've never used Uber and don't know anyone with a car in this city.
>>
Is it difficult to travel between Egypt and Israel back and forth for a while? I imagine I'll get more questioning. Same question but for Jordan and Israel too. Hypothetically if as an American citizen I were living in Israel and working and traveling to neighboring Muslim countries would this be a problem? Obviously Iran is out of the picture but even for the countries that don't legally grant Israelis and Israel stamped passports entry, I imagine there's still an issue.
>>
is 1K US enough for a week in Hawaii?

I'll be splitting most expenses with my GF and be doing mostly hiking and beach bumbing.
>>
>>1220250
>this city
Where are you?
>>
flying to europe this friday and will be in manchester first before continuing on to paris. will i have to go through passport control and customs upon arrival in paris from the uk?
>>
File: Various 086.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Various 086.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
I'm trying to organise travel photos - can anyone here please help me locate where these were taken? It was from my childhood and sadly I can't remember the name of the town.

To help narrow it down, it is likely in Brittany or Normandy, as that is where all my other photos during the same holiday were taken.

>1/4
>>
File: Various 087.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Various 087.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>1220899

2/4
>>
File: Various 088.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Various 088.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>1220899
>>1220901

3/4
>>
File: Various 089.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Various 089.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>1220899
>>1220901
>>1220902

4/4
>>
>>1220905

Based on this picture, my guess is Pont-Aven. See fourth picture in link.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/moulin-de-rosmadec.html
>>
In which country are there *the* cheapest cigarettes in the world?
In which are there the cheapest high quality cigarettes in the world?
Attach the prices please
>>
>>1220899
man, you have the name of the hotel clearly visible on the damn photo. What is the problem with googling it?
>>
>>1220940

Not OP, but I'm this anon: >>1220935

Just Googling the name of the hotel/restaurant doesn't give any results unless you put in the name of the town.
>>
File: 8432769.jpg (3MB, 2072x1864px) Image search: [Google]
8432769.jpg
3MB, 2072x1864px
>>1220935

Thank you!

Your link definitely seems to match, and it also makes sense because I have another photo from the same holiday which is in Pont-Aven - as this was inside though I had no way of knowing they were the same area.

>>1220940

See:

>>1220943

This. I did think to Google the name of the hotel, but I couldn't find it in the results.
>>
>>1220513
Somerset, England
>>
anyone here ever been to Pamplona for the Running of the Bulls? I was thinking of going this year. What's it like? How much did everything cost (getting there, booking a hotel, buying shit)?
>>
how much can i expect to pay for a good steak frites and steak tartare in paris?
>>
File: Have Fun.jpg (45KB, 711x448px) Image search: [Google]
Have Fun.jpg
45KB, 711x448px
I have a couple weeks off work and <$1000 to spend. Trip could be 3 days to a week or so depending on costs. I have a family member who works at a Marriott so i have a good chance of getting a good price on hotels, depends on availability though.

Looking for a place in the states, beachy and warm would be cool but really just looking to have a cool week somewhere. Maybe if some cool even is going on or anything.

Where should i go, /trv/?
>>
File: allligator.jpg (87KB, 819x748px) Image search: [Google]
allligator.jpg
87KB, 819x748px
>>1221502
Could anyone help give me the low down on new orleans for the next few weeks? found a flight for 200 and some cheap air bnbs.

Miami is another one speaking to me, ive heard good and bad about it. I want to go on a boat and see wild gators though, if there alternative beachy towns i could do that from that may be better, let me know.
>>
Has anyone been to Miami? Planning on going with some friends. Mainly want to stay in south beach and drink but maybe a night or two in the city. Is it doable on a budget of 400-500 bucks? (not counting accomodations)
>>
If I travel alone will I have a bad experience? I'm under 21 and very very shy so I wouldn't be going to bars or picking up chicks on a beach. I would only be sight seeing and meeting some people from discord but the meet ups would be small things just a few hours not like partying or hooking up
>>
>>1221848
i did this in minneapolis for a few days. had to go for work so i extended it just to see what was going on in the city.

i did all the touristy stuff and explored areas i though i would like. i had a blast, as long sa you are comfortable eating alone and being alone in museums ect youll be fine.

i think what makes travelling alone bad is when you have the expectations of having sex with a bunch of locals or leaving with a huge group of friends. i;ve done that before too and the pressure and expectations ruin it.

seems like you have the right mindset to do it solo.
>>
File: gavlebock.jpg (48KB, 624x476px) Image search: [Google]
gavlebock.jpg
48KB, 624x476px
>>1219587
About Gävle, if you really want to see the goat and happen to be there in the beginning of December, then sure. A day trip from Stockholm is okay and it's always nice to get to see something other than the capitals.
Otherwise I would skip it. Go to Uppsala instead, it's both closer and a cool university city
>>
>>1218922
GF is going to Graz in the summer for a 3-week course. What is the security situation in Graz at the moment? I know from relatives that the situation in Germany is not the nicest in the world and that there were some migrant arrests in Austria as well, but I don't know about Graz precisely. Anyone from there/been there lately?
>>
File: key-west.jpg (72KB, 550x331px) Image search: [Google]
key-west.jpg
72KB, 550x331px
What kind of stuff is there to do in Key West, Florida aside from laying around on the beach and drinking beer? I might be going with a friend this weekend and we need ideas.
>>
>>1221872
It's safer than wherever you are from, as is all of Europe.
>>
File: 1.jpg (55KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
55KB, 852x480px
Are the new 500 and 2000 Indian Rupee notes accepted in Bhutan?

I assume that the old 500 notes and the 1000 notes are most certainly out of the question, since the whole world has forsaken them. But is Bhutan at least up to speed with the new 500 notes, and the newly introduced 2000 notes?
>>
>>1221848
>If I travel alone will I have a bad experience?
If anything, you will have a BETTER experience. Being on your own affords you a lot more freedom in your travels.

You can explore whenever you want, wherever you want. If you go with a guided tour group, then you're stuck on a tight schedule, and you're generally stuck with generic routes, learning only what the guide is telling you.

It also frees up dining options. I could never travel with my family, because they are ALL picky eaters. When I'm alone, I can eat all the weird, interesting shit I want. If a restaurant is packed, you might even get seated faster.

Traveling alone is the best thing I've done.
>>
>>1222424
>Bhutan

They do have their own currency you know.
>>
>>1219587
Gävle is pretty boring desu, like the other anon said go to Uppsala instead
>>
>>1221890
There are plenty of gay clubs there if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
Do Americans go through the usual hassle when crossing the border into Canada or do they just flash their passport at border control?
>>
>>1222487
Yes, I'm aware. But I'm asking about Indian Rupees for a reason.

Bhutanese Ngultrums are pegged at par with Indian Rupees.
Indian Rupees are accepted in Bhutan.
Indian Rupees are much easier to obtain than Ngultrums (I prefer to exchange money *before* I leave for a trip).

So I need money that can be used in Bhutan, and the most readily available currency to me happens to be Indian.
>>
>>1222794
It's not like you will need much money in Bhutan since everything is pre-arranged on your tour. Doesn't really matter which currency you change into the local one.
>>
traveling to Cuba in a few weeks, any recommendations on mosquito repellant? Don't want to risk catching zika or chikungunya
>>
>>1222492
>>1221864
Ah right, cheers for the advice, Uppsala is in the plan already but I'm heading to Gavle for a festival and was wondering if it was gonna be worth sticking around for a day after.
>>
>>1222838
I want to do some shopping. Most tour packages make it pretty damn clear that shopping is not included.
>>
>>1222842
I don't know what chikungunya is, but Zika is only a problem if you plan on conceiving within the next 6 months.
>>
Bucharest and perhaps Transylvania. Solo (might meet a friend). Female. Safe?
>>
I am thinking about spending a few days in Egypt.

Is it safe there? (generally speaking)

Is the Cairo airport safe?

Are the pyramids worth it?

I'd be going out of my way to go to egypt and see the pyramids but I will do it if it is safe and worth it.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks
>>
In college right now
Trying to find the perfect job, in that I would be able to live anywhere and work there. What kind of fields should I be looking into?
>>
>>1220452
If that includes flights... maybe. Flights from LAX to HNL can be as low as 500. Splitting a week of AirBnB in Waikiki is 350, so that leaves 150 for food/fun.
If flights aren't included then fuck yeah you can live like a light-skinned king for a week
>>
>>1222518
I went this last summer. They make sure that you're not carrying plant/animal material (I had to throw away apples) and stamp the passport. A little bit of a line but that's it
>>
Anyone from or been to North Carolina? Moving there from NY.
>>
>>1223121
watch out for stray dogs and stray gypsies. But nothing really unusual.
>>
>>1223105
Just bring whatever currency, and you should be able to withdraw from ATMs in case you need more. I don't think you'll get significantly different rates whether you change Indian rupees or USD or EUR.
>>
>>1223537
anything with computers, journalism can open up options of travel as well. Trades too but dont apply if youre in college
>>
What is a good tour for the DMZ in South Korea?
Been looking at google but can't lay my finger on what is good, want to see the blue buildings and the observatory near it.
>>
>>1223847
They're all the same, more or less. Pick whatever.
>>
>>1223568
Alright well noted. I'm from Paris so I guess I know how to deal with gypsies.
>>
>>1223540
Do the Canadian border control apologize profusely for inconveniencing you?
>>
>>1223941
The "Canadians are so polite" meme generally only applies to civilians. And even then, barely.

Canadian government workers are notorious for being the biggest assholes in the country. I can shitpost for hours about how awful they are.
>>
File: the government called me ugly.png (203KB, 720x674px) Image search: [Google]
the government called me ugly.png
203KB, 720x674px
Can my friend who's in the midst of getting his passport renewed use his native ID as a reliable way to cross into the US from Canada? More specifically at the Fort Erie/ Buffalo border.

I know going into Canada it's generally accepted, but I heard that going into the States it's really at the border guards discretion. With the way things are in the States right now I feel like the chance would be even further reduced.

Is this true? Does anybody have more info?
>>
What to do on a 10 hour layover from 4pm to 2am in beijing?
>>
>>1224208
Average human being needs 8-10 hours of sleep.

I would recommend sleeping for 8 hours, and using the other 2 hours to take a shower, change into new clothes, and get something to eat.

I had a 19-hour layover, and when I originally planned the trip, I thought I would be able to explore a bit. I was wrong. I ended up using 14 of those hours on essential functions, and only had 5 hours of free time to myself. I would not have been able to see anything worthwhile given the timing.
>>
What are the ideal travel shoes?

I'm almost inclined to go with hiking shoes. They're designed for rough terrain, but they would probably work just as well in the city. If for some reason I am wrong, then please correct me. If I'm on the right track, then I could use recommendations (brand, model/type, etc.).

I have to ask this, because on my last trip, I wore really cheap sneakers. I assumed that I was going to be walking around cities the most often, and while I wasn't wrong, I have also ended up on impromptu mountain hikes. And even when I stayed within city limits, the shoes failed so hard at cushioning that I ended up with major blisters. I really don't want to repeat the same mistake.

So what are some /trv/ approved shoes?
>>
>>1224221
DON'T do what I did and only pack thin black plimsole type shoes for 12 days travelling nothing better than trying to dry shoes out in a train station after spending all day trying to avoid puddles in torrential rain
>>
I'm terrible with money and don't earn a ridiculous amount but I'm really in the mood for a trip, so I decided I will go somewhere cheap like SEA so that I don't have to save for a whole fucking year before I can go.

I'd like to go with friends but they're against anything that's not a 1st world country which I mean jesus get real but whatever.

What is the cheapest developed nation to travel to?
>>
>>1224571
Hong Kong.
>>
File: 1443896093747.png (196KB, 400x268px) Image search: [Google]
1443896093747.png
196KB, 400x268px
I'm looking into doing a 3 night weekend trip on memorial day weekend (weekend of May 29th).

I'm in America and want to go to either Montreal or Mexico City. I haven't been to either Canada or Mexico.

I speak French well, and basic conversational Spanish.

Any advice on where to go?
I'minterested in checking out the food and drinking scenes, and maybe a museum or two.
>>
>>1224651
>>I speak French well, and basic conversational Spanish.
You got the holy trifecta. English, French, and Spanish is quite possibly the best combination of languages to have when traveling.

You don't even have to settle for Canada/Mexico. You can travel pretty much anywhere.

But in all seriousness, I would say Mexico. The food & drinking scenes are infinitely better in Mexico. I can't speak for museums, but Canadian history is fucking boring.

Canada does have a decent food scene, but not so much in Montreal; Vancouver and Toronto would have better food scenes, but you can get a similar experience in California or New York.
>>
>>1224653
thanks bro

looking into it more, mexico city seems perfect for me
>>
Im traveling South East Asia and the thing im worried about most is being able to find transport to different places. Should I find Travel Agencies that can set me up with all the tickets and everything I will need when traveling between cities/island or should I be going to an official bus/train station and just buy tickets there.

Ive heard that the Travel Agencies can give you combo tickets like Train/bus/ferry for wherever you are going and that seems pretty convenient.
>>
>>1224869
transportation in SEA is literally the easiest shit ever. best tip I can give is to rent a motorbike if you are in a rather rural area for a few days and explore shit yourself.
>>
I want to move to NZ, and to strengthen my application I should get a NZ job. I have an online job right now which has given me the option of depositing my money into a NZ bank account. Am I right that this would count then as a "NZ job" even though it's not with a NZ company? The job is commission based, so even though I work full time hours every week, is it posible they don't count it as a valid job for this reason?
>>
>>1225182
The best tip *I* can give is to have/obtain some motorcycle riding experience before renting one.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to have the skills before you ride one. I have both seen and heard bad things happening to greenhorns who tried winging it.

Wear a helmet, even if local laws say that it's optional. Try to wear a full-face helmet, because roughly 1/3 of head injuries happen around the chin area.

Wear full gear (leather/600D jacket, gloves, chest/spine/knee protectors, etc.) if you can. You won't necessarily die from not wearing gloves, but if you were to have an accident, it can get really really gross.
>>
File: unnamed (1).png (59KB, 484x304px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).png
59KB, 484x304px
How long could I spend in the USA with $20,000
>>
>>1220938
From my own experience southeast asia was pretty damn cheap
The cheapest i ever bought was a brand in cambodia for 500 riyals (one eighth of a dollar)
The best quality was a north vietnamese brand called thang long (yellow pack, easily recognizable), best quality cigarettes i ever smoked, heavy, rolling tobacco tier and it costed 10,000 VND (half a dollar)
>>
How do you guys afford to travel a lot money and time wise?
>>
>>1222794
I'm not sure about bhutan, but in nepal they would've only accepted 100 rupee notes from india, and that was before the demonitization, so i'd imagine bhutan would follow the same guidelines more or less
>>
>>1225254
ok mom
>>
>>1225396

depends what you're doing and where. the big well-known cities like SF or NYC are much more expensive than smaller places. going out clubbing and drinking and taking taxis and staying in nice hotels is much more expensive than staying in a backpacker hostel.

some people don't earn $20K in a year and, like, they live here, with a house and a car and stuff. well, probably a cheap shitty house and car, but still.

if i were staying at hostels and eating cheap food and hitchhiking around i could probably live for a couple years on 20K. a typical tourist run on NYC and DC, spending money on experiences, maybe 6 months?
>>
anybody here ever heard of a bar called the Tired Horse Saloon? possibly in the US Southwest, or maybe Texas?
>>
What's /trv/s take on traveling to the DPRK?
>>
has anyone gotten a deposit fee at an hotel waived? If so how did you do it? I don't have enough cash for that shit
>>
>>1225561

I say go for it, but make sure you're taking all the right steps to get in. Apparently you have to take a flight from China into DPRK, so the process will take waaaay longer than traditional flights.

If you do go, please come back and share some pictures.
>>
>>1219055

>OTC

I tried that once. Turns out that the tickets were MORE expensive than buying online because all the flight were same-day or in the near future, and airlines weren't about to miss out on getting their money out of you.

However, in a pinch, I'm fairly certain their staff could work with you. Delta flew my luggage (the whopping one suitcase) free one time on my way back to Jacksonville from Denver after my card was declined. Some people are just super chill that way.

>>1219855

I've used AirBnB in Denver, Savannah, and NYC. I only stayed in one with the gf and I have yet to find hidden footage of us passing out on the bed (we didn't exactly feel like bangin' after a day of drinking and feeling bloated, surprisingly). AirBnB is one of the best things that could have happened to travel, and of course the (((government))) wants to limit it to save the overpriced hotel industry.

>>1221588

Does the 400-500 buck limit exclude the price of a hotel/AirBnB down there? If so, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1221848

Traveling alone can actually be an awesome experience. When I was stationed in Bahrain, I took a weekend to visit Oman and had a fucking blast. I hiked around, took a ton of pictures, and didn't have to worry about another person's wants or needs. Of course, that meant I had to foot the bill everywhere I went, but that wasn't so bad in the end.

Do it, man. Don't worry about being a loner.
>>
>>1223524

I'm going to be honest with you... Cairo was probably the worst stop I ever had in the Middle East. They're going to see you, a Westerner, and constantly hassle you to buy tacky Chinese-made shit from their shops. It's crowded, unpleasant, and wildly overrated.

The pyramids are easy to appreciate from afar... otherwise, you'll be safe. Tourists are sort of a protected class there since, well, they fuel the local economy like nothing else.
>>
>>1224221

Comfy sneakers is all you'd need. I suppose it also depends on the terrain as well. When I was hiking through Wadi Shab, Oman, I was wearing low-top Chuck Taylors, which were an AWFUL idea since there was zero arch support. My feet hurt like fucking crazy the next day.

Moral of the story: know your location, know what you'll be doing.
>>
>>1225396

Like Anon in >>1225396 said, it really depends on where you go. $20K in NYC? Maybe a few weeks if you live frugally. $20K in Colorado Springs? You could probably spend a few months there.

>>1225400

I find a place I want to go, make a rough budget for it, then go. Of course, always have some money in savings, but otherwise you're golden.
>>
>>1225612
How long are you trips? Do you have a regular job?
I got my first job recently and get 15 vacation days a year. Aiming to take a 2-3 week trip every year.
>>
>>1225615

I'm a full-time student with a part-time job, but I make time for travel since it's something I like to do and it keeps me grounded. Find a place that interests you thoroughly and set your sights on it. Make it awesome and take a ton of pics
>>
>>1225615
>>1225621

Also, my trips can range from 1-3 weeks depending on the location and travel time
>>
File: World-Nomads-Travel-Insurance.png (5KB, 646x220px) Image search: [Google]
World-Nomads-Travel-Insurance.png
5KB, 646x220px
Has anyone used World Nomads as travel insurance? Did they give you trouble when filing claims? Im thinking about using them for my 6 month trip.
>>
>>1225401
>100 rupee notes
>100 INR = roughly $1.53 USD
Jesus, that's a lot of notes to be carrying around.

I also get the impression that countries that use rupees are on a completely different scale.
>classmate told me how he bribed a cop with 500 rupees to get out of a speeding ticket in India
>he bribed a fucking cop with $7.64 USD
>>
>>1225455
Hey I ain't no mom. I encourage safe riding. Most moms discourage riding altogether.
>>
>>1225645
I have used them but haven't had to claim so can't comment on that part. But they probably are reliable.
>>
>>1225658
That's true anon, nepal is by far the cheapest country i've ever been into, it's even cheaper than india
>>
File: 2015-04-30 16.48.57.jpg (45KB, 429x343px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-30 16.48.57.jpg
45KB, 429x343px
Going to backpack Europe in a month, are any ebooks/guides worth getting?

Also, what other sources should I check to make a tentative itinerary? I really don't have plans other than arriving at a friend's flat and going from there.
>>
So I wanna fly to NYC or Philly or somewhere in the general vicinity

I checked Kayak and one of the cheapest flights is American Airlines to LaGuardia with a stopover in Philadelphia

So I obviously checked for only flights to Philadelphia. But what do you know, it's actually MORE expensive to fly just to Philly than to take the same flight to Philly and then the extra leg to NYC.

Is this normal? Am I being memed?
>>
>>1226084
Dont get an ebook or a guide.
Make a loose schedule, travel on recommendations.
>>
>>1226116
It is normal.

Airfares are more connected to demand and competition than the apparent cost of providing the service.

It may be that Philadelphia was particularly popular, or that there was more competition on flights to New York.
>>
What would be places in eastern europe that we should add to our list of cities in june this summer while going on interrail?
>>
>>1226186
ty
>>
Rate my itinerary please
Ive solo'd before, going with two unexperienced friends.

3 days copenhagen
5 days rome/naples
3 days ibiza
3 days barcelona
5 days budapest
4 days prague
4 days berlin
5 days amsterdam
>>
Is 2 hours enough to clear immigration at a US airport (foreign citizen coming in for the first time) and then connect to a connecting flight?
>>
Does anyone know how much a tour of the Grand Mosque of Paris costs?
>>
>>1226256
10/10
>>
>>1226276
It should be, unless you either get held up by immigration or there are baggage delays. Getting picked for customs doesn't take more than 5 minutes of your time.

You'll have to go through baggage pickup, then check in again for your domestic connection. Should be an hour at the most, then anywhere from 10 minutes to half an hour for TSA (depending on your connecting airport and the time of the day). Domestic airlines start check-in 30 minutes before departure, so you'll be OK so long as you can arrive at the gate 10 minutes before departure.
>>
>>1226256
Baby's first trip/10
>>
>>1226202
Krakow, Budapest, Prague, Ljubljana, Lviv

It really depends where in Eastern Europe you're going. Central, Balkans, Baltics? I gave you some central ones
>>
>>1225561
All these hippie faggots that cry about morals and human rights can fuck off. Definitely go, it's a very unique experience that so few travelers get to see.
>>
>>1225396
A whole year in Kansas or a whole week in San Fransisco.
>>
What's a good backpack for travel purposes? I'm not necessarily looking for something that can withstand harsh conditions. Assume that I will be in a city most of the time (so I don't need any extreme hardcore backpacking backpack for backpackers who go backpacking to deserts and jungles).

My only real stipulation is that I want something carry-on friendly. More features are always better, but I won't specifically ask for them. Other than that, just throw a few brand names and models at me.
>>
>>1226183
That's the plan thus far, but I thought it would be wise to carry additional material in case I don't interact with locals by staying at an AirBnb instead of a hostel.

Thanks, anon.
>>
Rate my plan
1st solo
1 day in Uppsala
3 days in stockholm
3 days in Helsinki
2 days in Tallinn
3 days in Berlin
1 day in Hambug
maybe a day or two in Copenhagen or Amsterdam
>>
im from the UK and going to austria and hungary, should i get some local cash and take that or get some kind of card designed for holidays (ie low/no fees n shit)?
>>
Kind of a last minute thing. I have AT&T (American) and I've always used their Passport add-on when traveling, but since the last time I used it they've jacked up the price and lowered the amount of data you get so I hit the brakes when they told me the new prices when I was ordering.

Now I will need a new solution and I was thinking getting a SIM for my unlocked phone, but I don't have time to ship it to my house, so I'll have to get it there.

Going to be in Iceland, Copenhagen, Italy, and maybe a bit of France (like Nice, border with Italy area).
What's my best option?
What do I look for?
Will a SIM I buy in Iceland work in Italy or do I need to get a new one in Italy as well?
>>
>>1227218

interesting. i'm looking forward to an answer to this question myself as i'm headed to the EU soon.

in Asia we needed a new Sim card for every country. going to a new place (or even a quasi-country like Hong Kong) mean that our mainland Chinese sim would stop working. not like crazy roaming charges, just no signal at all.

obviously the EU is going to be a different case. i tried google and it found a thread from 2011 where it sounded like you could get a sim in one country and pay (not too outrageous) roaming fees in the other countries, or you could pay a very large fee up front for an international sim card that would just work the same everywhere, but be cheap nowhere.

curious if developments in the EU have changed this situation in the last 6 years.
>>
If I want to travel to India and places around it what language should I learn?
>>
>>1227053
If you're going to stay in big cities, just get a card, you might not need cash at all. Well, maybe in some specific pubs or markets there are no cards accepted, but otherwise you can but everything with cards in big cities. If you plan on going to villages or small towns, you might want to prepare more cash.
>>
>>1227349
None; English is more ubiquitous than any Indian language. The country has over 20 official languages and most Indians only speak one or two. If you have to pick one I would probably pick Hindi, Bengali, or Urdu, but honestly it's a waste of time.
>>
>>1227311
As of now this is still the case for most countries. A notable exception is Germany, where almost all SIM cards offer both voice and data everywhere in EU at domestic prices.
Apparently this is going to change soon with some new laws introduced recently.
>>
File: ATLdayedited-1025x535.jpg (171KB, 1025x535px) Image search: [Google]
ATLdayedited-1025x535.jpg
171KB, 1025x535px
I'm flying into Atlanta, Georgia (ATL) on April 4th to start a northbound hike of the Appalachian trail. My dad is retired and was interested in doing a 2 Day - 3 Night to see the city before I head off into the woods.

What's good (for a crotchety white retiree)?
>Dirty South underground rap?
>Braves?
>Portly Delta stewardesses near retirement?
>Aquarium?
>Civil War shit?
>Deep fried lard?
>>
>>1227382
So I can go without any understanding of their languages?
>>
>>1227413
I'd say so. Most of the important phrases like "Where is the loo? and "Stop raping me." don't translate anyway.
>>
>>1227413
Yes. Indians travel domestically all the time without being able to speak English or Hindi and they do fine. Anyone who's anyone will be able to speak English anyways. Learning an Indian language is literally pointless; if you learn Hindi and travel to Kerala, they won't understand you; if you learn Bengali and travel to Chennai, they won't understand you - and so on with Gujarat, Punjab etc...
>>
>>1224653
How is French useful at all? I speak French and I've rarely found it more useful than other languages. If anything the holy trifecta should be English, Spanish and Russian.
>>
>>1227425
Russian is massive and frozen and the CAR are really only a few cities when you don't want to marry a local, raise goats. and shit in a hole.

You'll get more mileage, more people, and more life with French. Those Belgians did a lot of development work in Africa.
>>
>>1227425
The usefulness of a language is entirely subjective and different for each individual.

But if we're talking about versatility or overall coverage, then English, French, and Spanish is still the way to go.

Places where English is officially used:
>UK
>Canada
>USA
>Hong Kong
>Singapore
>Ireland
>South Africa
>Australia
>New Zealand
>etc.
Places where English isn't an official language, but the tourist spots will try their best:
>fucking everywhere

Places where French is used:
>France
>Belgium
>Switzerland
>many African countries
>eastern Canada
>Louisiana
>French Guiana
>Vietnam
>Laos
>Cambodia

Places where Spanish is used:
>Spain
>South America
>southern America
>Latin/Central America

If French is useless to you, that just means you have minimal interest in traveling to French-speaking countries, or you're more comfortable with your other language(s). There's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>1227436
>>France
I agree. Useful for this country (I actually live here).
>>Belgium
Yes
>>Switzerland
Yes
>>many African countries
True but I have no interest in visiting these countries apart from maybe Morroco.
>>eastern Canada
This isn't a country. It's a region, this is grasping at straws I think.
>>Louisiana
Like 3 percent of the population of this state speaks French.
>>French Guiana
Shithole.
>>Vietnam
Would love to speak it here but found that about as many people (5 percent) speak French as Romanians.
>>Laos
>>Cambodia
Only a very small percentage of the population (again like 5 percent) of these countries speak French.

So what you're left with is Quebec, some European countries and some African countries and a country in South America with very little tourism that actually speak French as a first or second language. The rest of the countries/regions that were listed barely speak French at all.

You're absolutely right in assuming that I don't want to visit these African countries but I'd still say that Russian is more useful as its spoken as an actual second language in a lot of central Asia and Eastern Europe as well as being so similar that you can blag a lot of the slavic languages in Eastern and Central Europe.

Anyway, sorry for my autism I just disagree with you.
>>
>>1227453
>The usefulness of a language is entirely subjective and different for each individual.
What he said.
Even though I had no interest in visiting many places where a small percentage of the population speaks it, I was still happy to meet French speakers abroad at times, even if we sometimes had some other common languages.
I didn't find it more useful because I'm used to people speaking French, so I don't pay much attention to that, but looking back, it helps.
It's really subjective anyway.
>>
What is the easiest way to pay for shit in South America?

Cash passport doesn't seem appropriate as it doesn't have any of the currencies of the region. Credit and debit card cash withdrawals overseas seems expensive.
>>
File: chicken chaser.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
chicken chaser.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
Any idea what the going rate might be for a shitheap on wheels in central Asia? Hoping to pick up a runner in Bishkek for a few days of fun without being worried if some bellend nicks it.
As long as its rideable I wouldn't care about condition at all.
>>
Have 2 days in Bangkok, what do?
>not into partying
>gf, so no fucking around

>inb4 why than Bangkok?
It's the last destination of my 3 week SEA trip
>>
>>1227563
visit the grand palace, the temple stuff, and the weekend market if you happen to be in the weekend
>>
>>1225609
Thank you for the reply. Yeah everything I have heard is that Cairo is a shit hole and the only thing worthwhile are the pyramids and other Egyptian relics.

Do you think it's a must see?

I want to see them but I don't want to regret it.
>>
What are the places to be during french summer?
>>
>>1227563
I'm going to SEA soon with my GF too, any recs on places to go? We were looking at phuket vs chiang mai. One is nice beach but tourist trap, the other just seems a little dull.
>>
Looking at getting an inter rail pass
When they say something like 7 days a month what do they mean
Is a day essentially a single train ride or is it unlimited rides in the day
Also is it a month from the date you buy it or from the 1st time you use it
Are there any benefits of using it ?
>>
>>1228131
What is french summer? i only know about regular summer in the northern hemisphere which happens to be from june to september, not sure how it is with the french
>>
>>1228338
I got one of those passes for like 3 countries. They can get pricey. I think I got like a 10 day pass. They activate from the day that you use it, they put a stamp onto it and you fill out some info on the pass.

I got a 10 day pass, so that means I could ride unlimited trains for 10 days straight if I wanted to. I think the pass is a lot cheaper than buying each individual train ride.
>>
>>1227049
Skip Tallin and Hamburg and stay for a longer time in Berlin. Is traveling between the cities counted in to this itinerary or not?
>>
Thinking about buying some land and building a house on it. Nothing fancy, but I'd like a decent amount of acreage. I'd love like to live somewhere with a lot of sun and a lot of greenery/vegetation with a decent amount of rain and wind. Shit'll be off the grid so I've gotta take advantage of the surroundings (aside from the fact that I just like greenery).
Question is, what US state would meet all these requirements that you guys have been to and would recommend? I've only been to a few states myself.
>>
>>1228443
You'll want something like Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho.
>>
what should i know about traveling to thailand as a tourist?
>>
>>1228753

this but traveling with a gf
>>
I Want to get a NA->NZ plug adapter. Should I get one with or without a ground? Or is it irelevant?

I'm just concerned that with a ground, what if none of the outlets have the 3rd ground hole and then I can't plug the thing in anywhere.
>>
>>1228806
Oh shit, then again if I get one without a ground hole on the NA side, then all of my stuff with a ground prong won't fit... mb I shoudl just get one of each if I plan to move there.
>>
>>1228806
All wall sockets have the three holes. I don't think I have encountered anything with only two holes.

I live in NZ btw.
>>
I'm an American, if I pass through Iran should I tell people I'm Canadian?
>>
File: backpack_4_thumb.jpg (15KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
backpack_4_thumb.jpg
15KB, 195x259px
>>1229135
No, telling everybody "I'm Canadian!" is too obvious. Just slap a Canadian flag on your backpack to subtly announce your syrupy false identity.
>>
>>1229135
Youll have to use your US passport where it matters, so what's the point?
>>
>>1229306
I'm talking about meeting / hanging out with strangers, I wouldn't lie to officials of course.
>>
>Be me
>Have flight out of JFK in NYC at 12:30 AM
>Traveling there from Boston (4 - 5 hours away by bus)
>Another 1 - 1.5 hours to airport, unless I take a taxi
What is the latest time I can realistically arrive in NYC to catch this flight if I don't want to take a taxi?
>>
>>1229307
Well at any rate I'm a huge asshole and I'm a real canadian so I'll try and ruin the stigma for you yanks
>>
French guy going to study for a semester in Australia next year from January to August, what should I really know, do and don't do, any tips to survive?
Also how easy it is to find a job there if I want to do a gap year?
>>
File: USA.jpg (122KB, 902x548px) Image search: [Google]
USA.jpg
122KB, 902x548px
What are some of the best places to visit, cities to explore, and things to experience on the western side of the USA? Not California and not Las Vegas because I’ve already been there.

I will have five days. I’m 30 years old and healthy. Give me your recommendations!
>>
>>1229627
Portland is pretty cool. the whole PNW is great imo. especially in spring.

Denver for sure .
>>
Day in Frankfurt and Nuremburg or 2 days in Nuremburg. Opinions?
>>
File: taipei101.jpg (28KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
taipei101.jpg
28KB, 300x225px
Sup /trv/

Taiwan threads never seem to last here so I would appreciate info on

>where's the cool place to stay while in Taipei if you like bars and pubs? Or indeed Tainan, Kaohsiung or any other cities?

>any off-the-radar but awesome spots on the island? I have time and money to go exploring a bit but am mostly interested in city stuff

>Is Jiufen any good or will I get a few photos and then be bored?

>any recommendations for places to hang out to meet expats?
>>
>>1229659
Depends on what you want to do. Frankfurt has little interesting things. You wouldn't miss anything by skipping it. The one thing it has is world-class brothels so if that's your thing spend a day there.
>>
What online maps is best for navigating? We've rented a car to drive through Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Czech and Austria. Google or Waze?
>>
What if I want to spend time /out/ while traveling?

I'm planning my first solo and intend to camp and hike in certain parks (tatras mostly) I don't want to carry a tent or bivy sack (or sleeping bag for that matter as mine is large). Should I just skip this and use lodging that's near where I want to hike?
I really love camping but it may just be too much effort to carry extra stuff. Does anyone have experience with this?
>>
>>1229659
I'm from Nuremberg and Frankfurt has very little interesting things. We have a world class zoo, the nazi party rally grounds which are super cool. The Germanisches Nationalmuseum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanisches_Nationalmuseum) is worth visiting, I think it's the biggest history museum in Germany. The castle is also interesting. From Nuremberg you could do a day trip to Franconian Switzerland or to Rothenburg or Bamberg or Bayreuth, which are nice little towns to spend a day.

Only not so good thing about Nuremberg is that the city center is filled with muslims, but you can't avoid that in Frankfurt either.
>>
>>1227563

i took a cooking class. something like that might be fun with a gf. yoga class, meditation class, massage class, blah blah.

>>1228133

phuket for nightlife.

chiang mai for elephant nature park, old temples and city wall, see a muay thai fight, etc. still plenty of laid-back bars and stuff for relaxing.

>>1228753

Bangkok is a big nasty city built in a swamp. unless you're really interested in the nightlife, only plan to spend a few days there to visit some temples and museums and stuff and then go see the rest of the country.

get to an island for beach fun, get up to chiang mai for mountain fun. see ayutthaya or however the ruins are spelled. see some animals (if you're an animal lover you'll want to avoid a lot of the animal tourism stuff as it's abusive, do some research. if you just want to get your picture taken with an elephant or a tiger, then go nuts.)

personally i loved most of the temples (don't just see one, there's loads and they're all different and interesting) and wish i'd been there longer to take advantage of more fun stuff like the above mentioned classes in meditation and yoga.

i did get to spend christmas and new years in a beach cottage on koh phangan, would highly recommend for relaxing (and if you don't want to relax, hit one of the many Full Moon / Waterfall parties for booze and dancing).
>>
>>1229941
>>1230432
Thanks for the replies
I'll be spending the two days in Nuremburg.
Btw anon, is there any other shite to do with history worth checking out there ?
>>
>>1230596
What I would visit if I were you in two days
. Castle
.Germanisches Nationalmuseum
.Nuremberg Trial Courthouse
.DB Museum, German Railway Museum
.Nazi Party Rally Grounds and the museum. Museum has nothing interesting if you know the stuff about German WWII history but there are some special exhibitions that are pretty cool. Try to get inside the hall of the big tribune where Hitler gave his speeches, looks like something out of Wolfenstein, but you have to search for tours on the website of the museum.
.Medieval Dungeons: https://museums.nuernberg.de/medieval-dungeons/ are pretty cool
>>
File: 1480443453186.jpg (552KB, 1834x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1480443453186.jpg
552KB, 1834x1440px
I'm in graduate school and need to buy a laptop, but I'm planning on traveling around a good bit after I graduate, so I need something sturdy and long-living. I know it's more of a /g/ thing but does /trv/ have suggestions?
>>
>>1218922
Hey guys Im in Amsterdam for the day unexpectedly. Is there anything youd recommend doing off the fly?
>>
going to scotland (glasgow) for a week in august with a grill.
can you guys recommend anything?
we're thinking about going hiking for a couple days maybe, can you like rent a tent and such?
>>
File: 1487174554159.jpg (34KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
1487174554159.jpg
34KB, 350x500px
23 year old american male here. Never traveled anywhere on my own before. I have 6000 dollars saved up from this soul sucking job that i hate, and im beginning to plan a trip for this summer once i graduate.
Any destination reccommendations or tips that you could give to a first timer?
>>
>>1231060
Cheers, ill check them out
>>
I live in Asia and I want to travel to Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia.
I don't mind the cost, it doesn't seem to bad either.
But is Bolivia safe as a country? I may reconsider bringing some younger siblings along depending on this.
>>
File: IMG_0469-337x450.jpg (39KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0469-337x450.jpg
39KB, 337x450px
How do I secure seats on an Amtrak observation car?

Is it the same as a "Reserved coach seat" on the "Upper deck"?

Thanks
>>
any recommendations on a decent shoe? I'm going to be in Cuba for a week or so and I'm going to be doing quite a bit of walking since I won't be staying in the tourist areas
>>
>>1231612
I also lived in Asia and I have been to Salar de Uyuni , Bolivia.
The security is certainly bad, but it was a wonderful country.
What country are you from?
The food was also very tasty but I broke my stomach many times.
Please choose a reliable taxi for transportation.
Also, I was worried if it was a small brother because there were quite a few stray dogs.
Please take good care of physical condition and make a good trip.
>>
>>1231628
What size are you
>>
File: Flag-Pins-Armenia-Georgia.jpg (71KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
Flag-Pins-Armenia-Georgia.jpg
71KB, 400x320px
>>1218922
How tough is the road between Georgia and Armenia? I was planning on catching the centenary of Georgia and making my way to Armenia 2 days later for theirs and then coming back, but it looks very mountainous. Can I do this by car?
>>
Are Guernsey and Jersey worth visiting?
>>
File: Gold_Fever.jpg (125KB, 648x800px) Image search: [Google]
Gold_Fever.jpg
125KB, 648x800px
Alright guys, story time.
>be me, a Slav from the depths of Russia
>be majoring in biology in the quiet provincial centre
>no jobs to be had in biology in my city
>GPA around 3.2, most scholarships for foreigners require 3.5+ from what I saw
>same thing really for state-sponsored universities at Moscow and such
So, being the genius that I am, I've decided to try striking it out at a modern "gold rush" jobs, like Canadian Oil Sands or teaching english in the South Asia. Which brings me to my point: could you guys give me pointers of other such jobs, where demand for a workforce and a pay is large enough that it attracts workers from around the world?
>>
>>1232054
To get enough money that I coud pay my grad school tuition at more prestigious university, that is.
>>
Bump?
>>
>>1218922

I was planning to take a TEFL course after college, but I was recently offered a 1-year stint as a science/math teacher in Rwanda.

Now I'm thinking about just look for another job at a foreign school (teaching either STEM, or English - whichever they need) without finishing my degree, AND without completing a TEFL course.

Will my prior experience and good references be enough to land a decent job teaching outside of the USA? Or am I just dreaming?
>>
>>1221149
I use Uber in Miami all the time, I had carried big things for the uni.

the phone setup is easy, will always tell you the model of car and a picture attached.

dont tell the driver youre hauling your bike, at the arrival ask him to open the trunk and stick that motherfucker in there.... never had a problem.
>>
my friends and I are supposed to go to Bari, Italy in June

they mostly want to chill, while I would much rather discover the nearby small towns such as Giovinezzo and Poligno a Mare for example - laying on my back at the beach all day long for 5 days straight just isn't my kind of stuff, and even in these early stages of planning tension seems to be rising between me and my three friends, with me sending them links to cheaper accomodations in other places than we would have in Bari and them throwing stuff at me like "you can go wherever you want to, take the train to various towns as many times you'd like, but we're there to enjoy the sun and the sea"

should I call it quits then and wish them a good vacation, or should I swallow my pride and my idea of a perfect vacation and go with the flow, even if in the end it will turn out to be just a huge waste of money and leave days for me?
>>
>>1233802
Why do something you don't want to? You won't be happy. Just go off alone and do what you want to.
>>
>>1233811
you mean go off alone when they're at the beach or go and have my own vacation without them, maybe with people who have the same ideas about traveling?
>>
File: aieRaEozT.png (14KB, 770x314px) Image search: [Google]
aieRaEozT.png
14KB, 770x314px
If an airline offers a "digital" boarding pass or a "printable" boarding pass, does that mean I literally use that as my plane ticket?

The reason I ask is that it's been a very long time between my last flight, and the flight before that. It's probably been more than a decade between the last two times I flew. I have no idea how airport procedures work anymore.

Anyways, when I checked in with JAL, I checked in at the counter, because I'm a clueless bumblefuck. The nice lady happily printed me a "real" boarding pass (ie. pic related, the kind that I'm used to).

Then a couple of weeks later, when I checked in with CX, I showed them my digital boarding pass, thinking that it was a fancy term for some esoteric bullshit. The lady at this counter was more confused than the last, and even asked me if I would "prefer" a printed boarding pass. I took her offer, because I had no idea how the system works, and I wasn't about to take any chances.

So, did I fuck up? Did I pointlessly wait in line at both check-in counters when I could've just gone straight to the gate?
>>
>>1233885
Digital you can pull your ticket up on a mobile device, they scan the QR code, and you're good.

Printable is just what it sounds like, print it out.
>>
>>1233887
The way you word it makes it seem dead obvious, and it probably is, but I'll thank you anyway, as your answer is actually very useful to me.

I will confess that when I was "checking in" from home, I was under the impression that I was just holding a seat, and that the stuff that comes out at the end was just a receipt, not an actual thing that'll get me on the plane.

Now I know better. Thanks!
>>
I have a flight from Boston to New York then to Phoenix a couple hours later. I can just skip the Boston flight and board in NY? I would drive over there.
>>
>>1233933
No. If you miss any flight of your itinerary the whole ticket is voided.
>>
Is it generally legal to punch pickpockets?
>>
>>1234550
in the EU, I should add
>>
>>1234550

pickpockets usually aren't alone, I would not recommend it
>>
Do you need to have a hotel booked when you come to America on the Visa Waiver Program? I'm asking because I've heard they ask where I'm gonna stay. If yes, is it enough if it's just for the first night and I'm gonna book the other places where I'm gonna stay spontaneously?

Do you really need to print out a banking statement or something to prove that you have strong ties to your home country? I-I don't have a job
>>
>>1234603
Just have your first stay booked and use that. If you have a visa waiver it's not likely you will be asked anything but itinerary and return ticket.
>>
Is it possible/safe to travel from Nepal to Thailand via northeast India & Myanmar?
My mate has a plan to do it by bike but I'm a little sceptical
>>
>>1234883
Google for which of those borders are open and which are not possible to cross.
>>
>>1222518
I visited. I had to tell them I was on probation. Because of that, they searched everything in my car including my electronics. Took about an hour. Most people get through in a few minutes though.
>>
How true is it that visiting certain countries bars you from visiting others? i.e.
> Russia & Ukraine
> North Korea & South Korea
> Israel & anywhere else in the Middle East

Are there any weird ones?
>>
What travel guides are decent for inspiration? I will be going to a wedding in England and want to take an extra week and do something on my own but I dont know enough about the region to say where I want to go.
>>
since when is insect repellant banned from all baggage? I'm traveling to the Caribbean and I just found out I can't take anything to protect myself from mosquitos
>>
Is it ever cheaper to ship a parcel of clothes overseas instead of checking it as baggage on a flight or two?

Also, what are your preferred ways to check for prices for flights with multiple legs?
>>
i must gain entrance to the vaginal canal
>>
>>1235096
>Russia & Ukraine
? Should be no problem
>NK & SK
No problem

Armenia and Azerbaijan have butthurt towards each other so going to one will cause problems for the other.
>>
>>1235339
Checked luggage costs around $20-30 for a 20kg bag. Mail costs around $10 per kg. When I sent mail from Bangkok, it cost almost 2000 baht for the first 2 kg.
>>
im flying to london to visit someboby, ill have a few free days, what are some nice (not popular) places to visit? google shows only the usual stuff
>>
Can you take qties with you to your hotel? I thought it wasn't allowed
>>
>>1235452
Depends on the hotel and the room you book.
If you have a room where the max capacity is only a single person they probably wont let you.
I doubt they'd bother checking in most places if you come back late at night with someone as the staff has probably changed since youve checked in, unless shes obviously a hooker, if thats what youre into
>>
>>1235446
Try and find a b&b in the countryside, I did it on my London trip a few years back and it was fucking great
>>
>>1235523
im gonna stay in their flat, but it sounds great.If you like countryside stuff try the Bieszczady national park, i was in a "village" with max. 5 buildings, everyone sleeping in tents and mountain climbing with awesum landscape
>>
>>1235446
I'm sure this comes up on Google, but honestly I really enjoyed a day trip to Greenwich.
>>
What exactly are the rules regarding laptops on flight from an EU country to an EU country? I'm travelling from Bulgaria to Italy with my family and we need to get two laptops through. How thoroughly will they be checked? Is it a problem if one of them runs windows and linux dualbooted? I've heard that they look for stickers confirming windows licence but this sounds like bullshit to me. How does it all work?
>>
>>1235566
I can only speak for North America and Asia, but they usually only ask you to remove it from your carry-on bag before going through the X-ray machine, because a laptop can cover up quite a bit of area.

>I've heard that they look for stickers confirming windows licence but this sounds like bullshit to me.
That does sounds like bullshit.
1. It's not the airport's responsibility to enforce copyright law (if you have a pirated copy of Windows, the worst you're usually guilty of is copyright infringement)
2. The overwhelming majority of laptops are pre-built, therefore 99.9% of them will have genuine Windows OS installed on them
3. Linux is an open-source OS and was meant to be free
4. Lots of people like to remove stickers because they can get annoying
5. Sometimes stickers peel off on their own
6. If you bought your laptop used, any of the above things could apply to it, and it would be pretty shitty of them to put you through hell for something that the previous owner did
>>
>>1235578
Will they lookk through my files/copy my HDD or smth?
>>
>>1235579
At the x-ray/metal detector? No.

If they needed to do a more thorough search like that, they will usually take you into another room. This type of search can be random. It might be a little less random if they have reason to believe you are some kind of terrorist/criminal.
>>
>>1219587
Don't go to Sweden at all. If going to Hamburg, make an extra day to flip by Lubeck and Rostock at the least. Gdansk is a nice place but not really tourist geared. Helsinki is for drinking and nothing else (so I hear).
If you're dead fucking set on going to North Somalia, just go to Gothenburg.
>>
>>1235584
Burger who has never left his home state and gets all his knowledge from /pol/ detected. Get off this board and don't return.
>>
Hi /trv/! I'll be traveling to London for 4 days next week. What are some essentials that I should bring with me?
>>
>>1235862
Where are you from? The usual, as traveling to anywhere else. Remember to bring an umbrella. And a power plug converter.
>>
>>1235862
activated charcoal
>>
I'm planning a trip where Ill be in the Netherlands for about a week after spending time in Hamburg for a two days, I'll be in Leeuwardan for 2 days definitely, afterwards probably head to amsterdam for the flight home.
Before that though I have about 3 days roughly. Is two days in Amsterdam & one in Groningen enough time, or should I spend an extra day in Hamburg and then a day in the other two cities.
Assume hookers and weed arent what I want to spend my time doing.
>>
I want to go inter-railing for a month in Europe, how much money should I have if I am staying in hostels and doing some touristy things ? And also any specific routes that you have enjoyed would be good
>>
Best way to get xanax through airport security? I don't have a prescription.
>>
What are some countries where the language barrier is very unforgiving?

As an English-speaker, I find that many places speak English in some capacity. Many countries speak English as an official language. Even countries where English isn't an official language will still speak it anyway, especially in tourist areas.

What are some places that are highly inflexible with language? I'm talking about places where English is mostly useless, and the local language is difficult in some way (uncommon/obscure, hard to learn, etc.).
>>
>>1236263
China, central asia, russia
>>
I'm 27, never traveled. Currently in England.

Considering going somewhere in Europe for a week or two, be on my own. Don't have much money to spend, like £500 maybe? Is it possible?
>>
>>1236516

If you stay in hostels then quite easily
>>
>>1229627
Why no east coast?
>>
>>1236574
Do you really have to ask?
>>
>>1235566
I dont know if this will apply, but i can give my experience from Moscow, landing in Amsterdam and going through EU security.

>go through security, leave laptop in bag
>you pass through, get all small stuff back
>bag with laptop in it goes through secondary screening
>stand and wait till your bag is up to be searched
>they ask YOU to pull out laptop
>they scan in on its own, then scan just your bag an additional time
If normal
>pack back up, pass and go
Else
>probably secondary screening? Dont look like a terrorist and be normal.

Hell i thought i would get searched, i was clearly getting impatient, guy in from of me had had bag searched for honestly 30 min. Pulling out wallet after wallet, and other things full of metal.

Also i had dual booted linux+ windows, no questions. Have never had to turn it on in EU, Russia, canada, or USA. I think its more of a meme, they have the right to, but i doubt it will ever happen that they make you turn it on.
>>
>>1236263
Pretty much any place that gets almost zero foreign traffic.
>>
I'm in Vancouver until the 19th. What are some places I should visit? I've already been to Stanley Park as well as the aquarium and art gallery.
>>
I have the oportunity to get cheap flights for Cuba. Doesn't seems that there's a lot to do but i do enjoy cigars, classical ballet and hookers.

My questions are:

- Could I have a nice week with only 1200 euros ?
- What hotel/casa particular do you recommend arround habana vieja/vedado?
- Should I go to another city other than Habana?
- Where to find light skin hookers and how much should I pay her for the night?
- They still have good ballet performance (classical) ?

Thank you, dear anons.
>>
File: tierra_log_x2.png (12KB, 290x256px) Image search: [Google]
tierra_log_x2.png
12KB, 290x256px
Anyone hear dof a brand called Tierra? Do they make good quality outdoor clothes?
>>
>>1227436
>south America
>southern America
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>1236575
its a fair question except for autists like you I guess. no east coast cuts out basically the country's foundation and historic cities. and even if youre not into that skipping florida and ny is a shithead move but, you're the smart guy.
>>
>>1237242
South America = Literally the continent

Southern America = The southern part of the United States of America

Both of these areas have many Spanish speakers.
>>
What company should I buy travel insurance from?

I've looked at reviews for Travelex, Nomad, and Seven Corners and they all sound awful. Are there any insurers that aren't garbage?

I will be traveling for about 7 weeks in Europe this summer and would like to insure my trip.
>>
>>1237621
Go to a major insurance company, not a specialist travel place. They tend to be cheaper.
>>
Hey guys im gonna be in Bucharest for the next 3 days any recommendations?
>>
File: stop scrolling.png (65KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
stop scrolling.png
65KB, 512x512px
Planning to go for 10-15 days of vacation with my gf. This will be our first vacation together so I want it to go smooth. We both favour cities (though she's been to China 50 times) and I wanted to find something interesting in Europe.

I should note that we're students so money is a bit of an issue for me, so the more ratio of price/quality the better.

I was thinking about:
Greece
Barcelona (I got a guy who can let me crash at his place)
Paris (but accomodation is pricey
Amsterdam (same as the above)
Berlin (been there, it's not very cool but I liked it)

Any other suggestions?
tl;dr: I need a cheap destination for me and my gf, preferably in a comfy city with lots of things to do, Europe is better because I don't want to fly long distance
>>
>>1237713
Look at the "In Your Pocket" website guide for Bucharest. You can download a PDF too. Has good advice on things to see, restaurants, etc. as well as nightlife. It's well known for erotic massages.
>>
>>1237877
>Barcelona (I got a guy who can let me crash at his place)
That's so romantic. Where are you flying from? Go somewhere where you can afford to have a decent amount of comfort and concentrate on spending time together, not having to negotiate your way around your m8's dirty laundry.
>>
>>1237910
From Moscow.
May is ideal because it's right before our final exams at the Uni.
>>
>>1237912
Try Istanbul or Poland; you can get pretty nice hotels for about 50 EUR a night.
>>
>>1237917
I was actually thinking about going there. Any other suggestions for a shoestring getaway?
>>
>>1237962
Prague is still quite cheap. In an earlier post I recommended a guy in Bucharest look at the "In Your Pocket" website; it's fully of city guides for central and eastern Europe. That might give you some ideas...
>>
>>1237969
Nah, it looks a lot like Moscow. We needed some contrast from that. Hence Barcelona or Paris. Somewhere romantic and warm.

Though my grandfather doesn't own an oil rig, which makes those options pretty expensive
>>
guys i'm trying to see where it's better to live

medellin, colombia
prague, czech republic
chiangmai, thailand

i'm considering moving to one of these places and making them my home; which one do you think is better than the other for an english speaker?
>>
anyone in london/paris free over the next couple of weeks? I'll be travelling alone and it'll be cool to meet up with new people over a drink or something
>>
Trying to find an app from an ad I saw awhile ago, there was a thread up about it too. It was a meetup /tourguide sorta thing
>>
Anyone have any recommendations for places I could travel to from the US this summer that are cheap? I was thinking Cuba.
>>
>>1237986
I'm up for a drink in Central/Northern London over the weekend, just leave a throwaway e-mail here or something.
>>
I am planning on going to Japan this summer with my gf, what kind of costs should we I expect for food and a place to sleep? We're ok with hostels.
We have around 4 weeks and 2K eur.

Thanks in advance!
>>
Is it a major inconvenience to go backpacking/hostels in Europe with a laptop?

Will be doing a 1-month exchange prior to traveling and am considering mailing it home after. I don't need it or want it, but can see how it would be nice to have.
>>
>>1238556
To be honest, carrying a laptop is a major inconvenience in any form of travel, not just in backpacking/hostel situations in Europe.

>if taking as carry-on, airport security will always, without fail, to ask you to take it out of your bag before it goes through the x-ray machine
>this wastes precious time; yours, the passengers behind you, and airport security's
>you'll end up re-packing at the end of the security check, and god knows how convoluted your bag could be
>adds a substantial amount of weight; your back & shoulders will hate you for this
>you have a large, fragile, expensive target
>you have one major item to worry about
>it could get stolen, damaged, etc.
>the charger also adds a considerable amount of bulk
For basic computing needs, take a netbook or tablet with you. They are usually cheaper, smaller, and lighter. Should you lose/damage one of these, you'll be much less sad about it.

If you want to go absolute minimalist, use your smartphone. There's a very strong chance you're gonna bring it anyway. My smartphone did everything I needed it to do on my last trip. I was able to book tickets/reservations, check-in on my flights, provide me with directions, info/reviews on businesses, etc. I was also able to check my e-mails and watch silly videos during downtimes.
>>
>>1238556
Don't take if you don't need. That's the golden rule for life, actually.

>>1238565
>>if taking as carry-on, airport security will always, without fail, to ask you to take it out of your bag before it goes through the x-ray machine
It's standard procedure now to ask for laptops to be taken out of backpacks in airports and you should know that before hand.
>>this wastes precious time; yours, the passengers behind you, and airport security's
Knowing it's standard procedure, you should already leave your laptop in an easy to access spot or even already take it out while you're on the line.
>>you'll end up re-packing at the end of the security check, and god knows how convoluted your bag could be
I'd expect many backpacks to have a laptop compartment for easy access. And even if your bag doesn't, knowing you'll have to go through airport security and knowing they'll ask you to remove your laptop from your bag, you should already have it packed somewhere easily accessible. If you don't, it's just a sign that you're an idiot.

But I do agree about it being an extra weight, unless you buy a lightweight one (i.e: ultrabooks). These are pretty light and recent models come with usb-C chargers, which aren't as bulky as dc-in.
>>
>>1236263
As an English-speaker, you should know that the best way of dealing with poor linguistically challenged Johnny Foreigner is to point at things more enthusiastically and talk louder.
>>
>>1238565
It took longer to read that autistic rant about taking a laptop through security than it takes for a laptop to actually pass through security.

The only considerations should be whether you will need it, versus just using your phone, the weight, and security if you're staying in hostels.
>>
I'm a Canadian whose recently moved to the UK in the West Midlands... A few big questions to UK residents or travellers who've done the same thing:

1. Best source for work?
I've possibly landed a part time retail role for only 16 hours/week, and that's after weeks of searching! I'm wondering if there is a better place to look for entry level work as a traveler? I would love to see more of the UK and Europe but I need the funds to do so

2. Meeting friends?
I'm with my partner here, and we'd love to make contacts. The problem is we aren't big on pub/nightlife culture and neither of us are into football.
>>
>>1237979
haven't been to medellin but i can tell you chiang mai is shit don't bother
>>
>>1226256
> 5 days amsterdam

way too much unless you want to spend 5 days taking drugs 'n shit. It's not really that good of a city and Rome, Budapest and Berlin blow it out of the water
>>
Going to be 15 days in Europe, arriving in Paris and leaving from Brussels. Any itinerary advice?
>>
>>1239394
15 days isn't nearly enough.
>>
I need to fly from LA to San Antonio on the 23rd. But looking at flying into LA on the 20th. What do I do for those couple of days? Easiest place to stay? Is it worth going into the city?
>>
Whats the story with weed in the Netherlands,is it fully legal or just decriminalised.
Heading over for a festival in summer and was thinking about getting some, are there just shops where you walk in and buy the stuff like tobacco or alcohol?
>>
>>1239621
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_country

Literally the only country where marijuana is 100% legal in every parameter is Uruguay.

In Netherlands, it's decriminalized for up to 5 grams. The reason why Netherlands has a reputation of "dude weed lmao" is because they're so open about it. They don't see it as a taboo subject like other countries do. That's why Canada is also recognized as a "dude weed lmao" country.
>>
European going to America:

Me and my gf are going to MA to visit some of her family. (she's half American)
after that, she's leaving back to Europe and I'm traveling further to NYC to meet up with mates.

What's the best option to get to NYC from Boston, Amtrak of just a plane flight?
I don't mind travel time (obviously), just asking quality wise.
>>
>>1240034
>(she's half American)
No. Stop that. American is not an ethnicity, it's a nationality.
>>
Getting on a plane for the first time in like 20 years. Am I allowed to bring my electric toothbrush on a plane, carry on or otherwise? I hate using regular toothbrushes and I'm going to be in Boston for like 2 weeks and that's a long time to have a dirty mouth
>>
>>1240079
The biggest concern about carry-on electronics is that the battery might explode.

That's why they typically ban anything with a high mAh rating.

But most airlines allow you to bring smartphones and laptops, which are much more powerful than toothbrushes.

Check with your airline and airports first.
>>
how do you pick which cheap hostel you book online?
>>
>>1240537
I use booking.com. Put in a filters, price per night, free cancellation, shite like that and then just pick the a cheap on thats actually near the city
Hostelworld is also meant to be good but I havent used it
>>
Anyone have any experience of Jakarta?

I'm thinking of hitting it up for a long weekend
>>
How much is enough to spend on a rucksack for travelling, it'll either be a £20 90L Amazon one or osprey farpoint 40. I'm traveling for 2 weeks in Japan
>>
>>1224221
pic related is comfy and robust as fuck, i litereally walk acros all paris with it and they are still ok. Great sneaker
>>
File: nike md runner.jpg (22KB, 500x319px) Image search: [Google]
nike md runner.jpg
22KB, 500x319px
>>1241170
>>
>>1218922
So I've been reading Deutsch für Ausländer Teil 2 from 1963 and it's a good read for a beginner but i came to the part about hostels and it says that most Hostels in Bavaria for 26 year olds and under.

This got me to thinking how often is the case nowadays with Hostels? I'm 26 now and I probably won't be backpacking the German speaking nations until next year. I've never encountered an age restricted hostel in the UK but is it a thing to consider in Europe?
>>
Is a 30L pack enough for a 15 day trip to Europe? I want to avoid having to check baggage and having to haul around multiple pieces of luggage.
>>
>>1241497
Yes.
>>
>>1233802
Missing the opportunity to see Giovinezzo and Polignano just because your friends are lazy fat-asses would be sad, mate. Go there by yourself or try to get acquainted with locals, better if people of a certain age (not too old though, because they can't speak English). Take your time, walk down the old alleys in the fresh shadows of churches, have lunch somewhere, and in the evening get back to your fellas.
>>
>>1218922
Where do I go for cosmetic surgery? Anyone have any info/experiences? Thanks!
>>
>>1241686
Thailand, of course. Where else would you go to become the ladyboy you always knew you were?
>>
>>1241686
Thailand or South Korea or Brazil, depending on what you want...
But always check at home first.
>>
>>1241686
What are you trying to do? I just recently started researching this topic because I want to get a rhinoplasty.
>>
Visiting New York for a week soon. What are places I should absolutely avoid? I believe I'm staying at an Airbnb in Elmhurst
>>
>>1241686
just do it at home. much more convenient.
>>
>>1241378
Germany has different hostel categories.
>the classical hostel hostel
cheap place to sleep for everyone ranging from quality time to full blown party hostels
>pilgrimage hostels
aimed at pilgrims or people on a low budget that want to attend a religious event in the area
>youth hostels also known as Jugendherbergen
Those are for youth, youth groups, like schools or scouts, young traveler/graduated craftsman doing their years of travel and young families with children.
It will feel like a school field trip,
>food is served in a refectory and you choice is the menu of the day or nothing, served at school schedule times. 6-8h breakfast, 12-13h lunch, 18-19h dinner
>feel more like a hospital then a home...
have rules like a school trip
>doors closed at 22:00, no noise after 22:30, most have a no smoking anywhere, no alcohol inside policy and they will kick you out if you go full retard
So it's a school trip.
Often you will need a Jugendherbergen membership to book them or provide a proof that you travel with a youth group...
>>
headed to NYC in may, any tips, advice
>>
>>1241760
I'll be there for about a week, no set plans but most likely gonna try to avoid the basic tourist shit
>>
>>1241746
Thanks for the thorough response.
>>
Can I carry on a metal rounded butter knife on a plane?

Going to be traveling for 7 weeks and would like to take a few pieces of silverware with me.

Will be flying AA, Air Europa, and Brussels Airlines, if it matters.

Otherwise I'll just bring a cheap plastic one.
>>
File: XkrpJZX.gif (486KB, 495x275px) Image search: [Google]
XkrpJZX.gif
486KB, 495x275px
I'm going to be staying in the Eurozone for about a year come this fall for school

What would be the best way to exchange a couple thousand USD to Euro? I just want to avoid paying large exchange fees
>>
>>1242010
If you're there for a year, you should open a bank account and just transfer the money from your US account. You'll just need to show them your residence permit, proof of address, etc. No problem at all and much more convenient that relying on your US account for a year.
>>
>>1242011
And just wire the money to the new account? Any problems with exchange? Fees, etc
>>
>>1242017
Yeah, you just do an online bank transfer from your USD account to your EUR account. Banks always charge fees, but the convenience of having a domestic bank account and not having to worry about exchange rates every time you buy something, and don't have to worry so much about losing your card, should outweigh the problems.
>>
I'll be spending the next four days in Porto.
Any recommendations on what to do besides wander around and drinking (port) wine?
And how much of a touristic-meme-shtick is Fado?
>>
>>1224217
What if he slept on tyhe plane?
>>
Should I spend an extra day in Denmark or the Netherlands? Gonna be in Amsterdam and Copenhagen but I've realised I've an extra day to kill.
What are some nice cities to check out, besides the capitals
>18/m into history/drinking/nature or scenery.
>Art isnt a real interest
>>
>>1241992
As long as it's not on your person I highly doubt they'll give you trouble for it.

I'll say this tho: Butter knives are universally, cheaply available.
>>
is life better above the equator or below the equator?
>>
How trustworthy are the taxis/rickshaws in India?

I'm not terribly worried about being ripped off, because I'm pretty sure they all do it, and the difference is probably a very small amount to me anyway, but I am worried about safety. I'm not too keen on being held hostage or taken for a ride (lel).
>>
Is it normal to hand over your passport to hotel receptionists?

I've done it twice, and I'm just realizing how weird it felt. On the bright side, the first incident was in Japan, at a hotel that was part of the airport building, and the second was in Hong Kong, at a positively reviewed budget hotel. I will confess that I would probably have been a lot more hesitant in shadier places like Africa or South America.

I do realize it's standard practice for hotel receptionists to check the ID of people who have booked reservations with them, but it's not like passports are literally the only form of ID in existence (though I suppose it is the most convenient). I only started questioning this when I read posts from other people saying how you shouldn't hand your passport so easily.

So, what is it? Normal? Weird? I feel silly for just asking, but I figure it's better to look silly now than later.
>>
>>1243516
>Is it normal to hand over your passport to hotel receptionists?
It's common in lots of countries to take a copy of the passport, or to write down your passport number on the booking form. Lots of European countries do that; they have laws that require hotels to register that information with local authorities.

If you're talking about hotels *keeping* the passport, that's a different matter. The only time I did that was a long-term apartment rental where the passport was in a safe-deposit box at my request.

>I read posts from other people saying how you shouldn't hand your passport so easily.
Typical /trv/. People will bareback ladyboys but don't want the hotel to know their name
>>
>>1243520
Oh no, I was just talking about receptionists asking to see my passport. I have never had a passport taken away from me for more than a few minutes.

And it wasn't just /trv/ that I read the passport paranoia. I've seen similar concerns on other travel-related sites.

Anywho, I'm glad I wasn't doing anything stupid.
>>
>>1243516
Illegal. Passport is government property. You cannot leave it at the hotel.
>>
I'm going to be traveling to the EU this summer. Should I carry my passport with me at all times, or is it okay to leave it locked up at my hostel?
>>
>>1243536
false
>>
>>1244358
Passport with you at all times. Always. No exceptions.

For that matter, don't even keep it in your bag. Keep your passport in the pocket of your clothes. The most inconvenient pocket you have.

If you're wearing a jacket with inner breast pockets, put your passport in there. Go for something that's difficult to pickpocket from, and is easy for you to feel.
>>
I'm looking to travel to the US soon. I have trouble finding out what my visa requirements are, since I'm in a uncommon situation.

I live in Europe. I work remotely for a US company. My trip to the US will include both local work and vacation activities.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/visa-wizard.html
I tried filling out the state.gov visa wizard, but I'm unsure what to fill in. To stay honest about doing local work, I fill in "business or employment" as the primary purpose of my trip (as will also be the case for future visits), but from there the difference between the options gets a bit vague for me. Would I need a H-1B visa, even though I won't be physically working in the US for the larger part of my employment?
>>
Booked a flight with a 1 hour stop over. Will we
have to get off the plane and book in again or will we be allowed to wait on the plane. And if we do have to get off, will checked luggage be automatically transfered or will I have to check it again
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.