[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underrated Travel Items

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: spoon.jpg (99KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
spoon.jpg
99KB, 2048x1536px
Underrated Travel Items thread.

Here we discuss:
>Things that you normally wouldn't think about packing, but sort of wish you had
>Things that you packed on a whim, and got a surprising number of uses out of
Share ideas, stories, experiences, etc.

I'll share mine in the next post.
>>
File: flat-bottle-opener.jpg (111KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
flat-bottle-opener.jpg
111KB, 1000x1000px
It wasn't a very big deal, but I wish I had brought a spoon & bottle opener with me.

I sort of needed a spoon because I felt like having ice cream a couple of times. Not an ice cream cone or bar, but an actual tub of it (a small one, like Häagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry's).

I also could've used a bottle opener, because I bought beer a couple of times at 7-Eleven.

I thought I would be able to easily buy spoons & bottle openers, but apparently not. I guess the timing just wasn't right. I eventually worked out a solution, but had I brought a spoon & bottle opener with me, I would've had it a lot easier.
>>
>>1218360
>bottle opener
Just open with a key, belt buckle, lighter or a low wall. It´s as quick as an opener.
>>
>>1218361
Yeah, that's the thing. I did use the key method, and it wasn't very quick for me. Maybe I could've used more practice at it, but I felt that an actual opener would've been a lot easier.

But I digress.
>>
File: plastic-bags.jpg (146KB, 1600x1171px) Image search: [Google]
plastic-bags.jpg
146KB, 1600x1171px
Plastic bags. Great for storing dirty clothes in your bag, gathering trash, carrying items... I've even used them as makeshift plates
>>
>>1218360
https://youtu.be/jYQ2YoKjP9o

Never use bottle openers
>>
>>1218359
a servant. Damn useful to carry the luggage
>>
>>1218374
Seconding this. Underrated, and very handy.
>>
File: magnetic-compass-250x250.jpg (14KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
magnetic-compass-250x250.jpg
14KB, 250x250px
I kind of wish I had a magnetic compass on me. Turns out I'm pretty shit at reading maps, and would end up going in the wrong directions.
>>
You're not a traveler if you don't know where your towel is.
>>
>>1218953
Unless it was night, you could always remember the sun always dawns on the east and sets on the west.
>>
Umbrella.
Scissors.
>>
>>1218374
No matter how much of an eco-freak I am, I always add an extra zip-lock in my bag, and take every plastic bag they hand me... Helps with waterproofing, too.

>>1219040
My friends' face, when we were arguing over whether the Chinese translation of East and West were right on some signs, and I settled the debate pointing at the Sun. Saved us hours of hiking.
>>
>>1219048
>>Umbrella
Use a rain poncho, much more compact.
>>Scissors
Good if you have a bag to check-in, else, good luck boarding a plane with that in your handbag.
>>
>>1218953
This. I had an amazing high grade camping compass that I use for when I go /out/ but I lost the damn thing thia trip in Vietnam. Fucker cost me $80. Not happy about it.

To contribute to this thread:

A hammock. So glad I brought one. I camped out with it. Always convenient when you're out and about in the wilderness and depending on the country you can set it up in the city as well with only curious glances. Bring it with me almost everywhere I go now in case its use comes up.

A big bonus is if you're with a qt you can set that hammock up and share it with her for maximum comfy.

Currently in Thailand rock climbing. When I get to Tonsai going to just live off the thing taking jumps into the beach for showers.
>>
>>1219063
You are allowed to carry small scissors even in your carry on.
>>
>>1218362
the Key here is to grip it really tight, like you want basically zero space between your fingers and the key. and between th ekey and the cap, just press it really tight
>>
>>1219076
You are? I thought they classified anything with even the tiniest blade as weapons of mass destruction
>>
>>1219111
you can brings knifes now (under 3")
>>
Sleeping bag liner.
Keep in mind that I'm a freak of nature who actually enjoys sleeping in airports though.
>>
Condoms
>>
>>1219112
I call bullshit. Link or didn't happen
>>
>>1219218
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/ops-infra/baggage/Pages/check-bag.aspx
Depends on the country. I'm not the same anon, but I flew with my scissors and swiss knife many times within Schengen.
I think in Asia there are many countries where it's not allowed.
>>
>>1219264
Um, but the source you're pointing to states only that in some countries any sharp objects are completely dissallowed. It says nothing whether there are countries that let you to carry them.
>>
File: IMG_0251.jpg (37KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0251.jpg
37KB, 720x720px
>>1218374
The foldable ones with a clip are the best, I always keep one on a backpack in case I need it
>>
>>1218359
>>Things that you normally wouldn't think about packing, but sort of wish you had
>>Things that you packed on a whim, and got a surprising number of uses out of

I love packing a swiss army knife or multi-tool, but of course it has to go in the checked bag. If I'm renting a car, buying a cooler, hiking at all, or intend to be a bit thrifty with some grocery meals, like slicing sausage, bread, whole fruit, that kind of thing, then the tools are great. You might pack a set of real utensils to rinse and reuse when you don't want flimsy plastic.

I pack a padlock for clicking close two zipper pulls (or even use zip ties on them, and a fingernail clipper to unsnip them), just to prevent some in-room searching by someone who might want to steal. It's a deterrent. It also will indicate if TSA went into a bag. It gives someone pause on the search that isn't really warranted. A good padlock is also key for your belongings in places like a spa or gym. A ziptie or small padlock can secure an outside pocket on a pack or purse, extra pickpocket protection. I usually pack a locking small pouch that goes into safes in hotel rooms, or goes deep in a bag.

I love to pack Crocs, oofos, oluwai, vionics, tevas, or some other kind of quick dry shoe that has cush, gives your pads some fungal protection around your hotel or at spas/pools, recovery to your feet after long days of walking, pushes back the arch or eases swollen feet from flights, etc. If you can get a pair that can pass as a more conservative shoe, you can even just switch out your shoes at dinner time to them.
>>
I often pack an arsenal of medication, and I can't tell you how often that 3 tablets of: benadryl, imodium, sudafed, tums, nexium, hydrocortisone, nyquil, aspirin, bonine, aleve, even an antibiotic....has been used to get me by entirely or before a doctor visit due to some weird reaction, stomach bug, runny nose. So, if you have it, pop it into the bag. My favorite travel "drug" is Vitafusion gummi "sleep well" which is valerian, camomile, melatonin compound. I use them on the plane and reset my jet lag the entire trip.

Little known fact: you can put 1oz booze in your 3-1-1, though you can't technically drink them on the plane per their rules, you could ;)...but most often they are awesome to enjoy on night #1 in your hotel room, or just to take home the various liqueur from that locale. You can buy them in duty free, and a great way to sample the things you didn't get a chance to try (that brand of absinthe, peach schnapps, or whatever you didn't see in the bar you visited). Flight attendants actually might nod approvingly when you want to drink their treasured local goodies if you ask permission and for a mixer or cup of ice.
>>
>>1218359
glue.

There was that one time in Mongolia when my Bovver boots got their soles wiped off, but from the *inside*. This resulted in screws literally biting through my feet. I was really lucky that somebody gave me their glue, so I could reair the boots with some rubber I found
>>
>>1219283
don't you ever have any problems with taking the pills through the borders?
>>
>>1219287
I try to have blisterpack individual pills where possible, which is labelled, but sometimes I'll toss some random stuff in a pill container all together, and just decide, well, if they don't like it, into the trash it'll go. But, I have been all over the world and only a couple times was asked, at TSA, if I was carrying anything scheduled, and nope.
>>
>>1218359
bump
>>
>>1218377
One time I did that and it exploded and burned my eyebrows off. Never fucking do this, dudes.
>>
>>1219068
Prolly some chink fuckin stole it

Damn goddamn chunks can't trust em seriously fucking hate those squinty eyed bastards

Wetbacks aren't much better but if they haven't swam over yet south america ain't so bad, good hookers too

In Asia some of them have bigger balls than you
>>
>>1219037
Fug, I actually wish I had brought a small hand towel with me on my last trip.

I was sweating like crazy. Plus a lot of public bathrooms I've been in had no hand drying options.
>>
>>1219283
I honestly didnt know this was against the rules, I drank one on the flight mixed with the juice I asked for and I wasn't even trying to hide it because I didn't know any better. I handed the attendant my empty but she believed me when I said I had no idea.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.