[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Low-cost paradises

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

I want to move around low-cost places for a year that are developing tropical paradises. conditions are:

>aren't shitholes
>speak English
>reasonable internet coverage or good solutions to get online
>can get there on visa-free or free-movement rights

Any recommendations? How many exist?
>>
File: 1464182038113.jpg (112KB, 750x1061px) Image search: [Google]
1464182038113.jpg
112KB, 750x1061px
Forgot loose women?
>I want life on EZ MODE: THE THREAD
>>
>>1217531

Basically yes.

By "aren't shitholes" I mean Somalia-tier. I'm fine with Thailand-tier.
>>
>>1217525
Puerto Rico

Parts of it are real shitholes but you can find a gated community.
>>
File: dominica beach pls.jpg (188KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
dominica beach pls.jpg
188KB, 1000x667px
>>1217525
Dominica is pretty nice and safe to live in
>>
>>1217525
Let's loose those strict, boring conditions a bit. I don't care about english and visa requirements simply need to be non-fucked up
Also, why should I ever want internet on fucking vacations? No internet needed

Fuck just make it cheap and nice.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>1217589
Nauru, Kiribati, Guam
>>
>>1217590
thank you. Now how about a place I can get to without having to pay fortune for a ticket? I mean, no islands
>>
>>1217525
I lived in akumal Mexico for just under 5 years.

I'm in Barcelona now
>>
>>1217589

Because I wasn't planning a vacation, I was planning testing a mobile working lifestyle and I make money online. Most countries have visa-free agreements with US and UK so I didn't think much of that. I'll loose the English requirement I guess.
>>
Greek island
>>
>>1217593
lol
>>
I'm in Quito, Ecuador right now.

I'm staying in pic attached. For $11 a night I have a single room with a full sized bed, no dorm. If I want breakfast, it's $3 for all I can eat fruit, cereal, fresh juice, homemade jam, fresh bread, coffee and eggs made to order. If I want dinner it's $7, or there's a full kitchen if I want to cook my own food. There's free WiFi, a lounge with cable TV, a pool table, a tour desk and in house laundry service.

Plus they offer a %15 discount if you stay more than two weeks during the off season.

I could stay here for a month, eat two meals a day and still spend about half of what I was paying just in rent for a tiny apartment in Seattle.
>>
>>1217624
Aaaaand I forgot my pic.
>>
My room.

I do have a shared bathroom, but only with three other rooms on my floor. If I want a private bathroom it's $16 a night.
>>
>>1217629
sick backpack bruh
90L???
>>
The lounge.

Plus flights here from LA or Miami are cheap and they use the USD for currency.

You can buy lunch for $1.50 and a weeks worth of groceries for $10.
>>
>>1217630
>90l

It's 40 liters. What do you think I am, some bumpkin Aussie freshman?
>>
>>1217624
man, that's fantastic. What is the weather during off season?
>>
>>1217635
It is, unfortunately, the rainy season in most of Ecuador, but it rarely rains all day in the mountains or the coast. What's more common is short bursts of heavy rain alternating with cool, partly sunny days.

In the Eastern part it rains a lot, because it's a rain forest.
>>
>>1217624
>>1217627
>>1217629
>>1217631
>>1217637
How did you find this place? Do you need a visa to stay there, or are you only staying there for a few months?
>>
>>1217624
Is it a normal price or did you got very lucky?
>>
>>1217650
I actually found it on a popular booking website (lest I be called a shill, I won't name names). I'm only in Ecuador for a weeks, then I'm heading to Peru until the end of March and then headed back to Alaska for my summer gig.

You have to dig a little, but finding places like this are worth. Usually run by expats or Mom & Pops, slightly off the beaten path, lots of informative reviews.

It's a little more work, but it beats staying in a dorm with a bunch of barfing college kids and smelly namastes.
>>
File: 1433643592828.png (30KB, 231x220px) Image search: [Google]
1433643592828.png
30KB, 231x220px
>>1217661
So AirBNB? I promise, I won't accuse you of being a shill. Something that cheap is legitimately impressive.
>>
>>1217655
I had to do some digging, and it is off season. Normally for a place like this I'd be paying $20-$30 (which still isn't bad) and breakfast may or may not be included in that or be paying $12-$15 for a dorm in a nice hostel or a single in a shitty hotel.
>>
>>1217662
No, hotels.com actually. Although there was some confusion when I checked in because I was literally the first hotels.com booking they'd ever gotten (this is their first season using them apparenty).

I'm also collecting points for a free stay, which I'm gonna use at a nice hotel for my overnight layover in Bogota on my way back.

(I swear I'm not being paid for this shit)
>>
File: 1480060943542.png (231KB, 323x420px) Image search: [Google]
1480060943542.png
231KB, 323x420px
>>1217666
>666
>I swear I'm not being paid for this shit

Nice try satan. But in all seriousness, that's actually kind of interesting. Thanks!
>>
>>1217668
You're welcome, anon.

Once you really learn how to use them, booking sites are a great. I always scan two or three different ones to see who's got the best deals where I'm going.
>>
>>1217666
omg you told him where you booked the place!!! how is that NOT a paid ad??? wtf!!
>>
>>1217677
I never know what's gonna trigger 4chan, man. Like I was over on /out/ talking about seasonal jobs and I mentioned the website I get most of my work through and people started freaking and shouting "Shill! Shill!"
>>
>>1217680
wwoof?
>>
>>1217687
Coolworks. Those are the paying jobs, anyway.

I sometimes do workaway gigs to stretch my travel budget between seasons, though.
>>
>>1217624
>>1217627
>>1217629
>>1217631

BUT DUDE WHAT RLY MATTERS IS CAN U GET LAID EASILY?!? LMAOOOO
>>
>>1217694
They'll literally eat your shit for a greencard rn lol
>>
>>1217694
I don't wanna hijack OP's thread too far, but most of the women here in Quito don't seem that desperate. Lots of professionals and students on tinder, not a lot of green card hoochies. My Spanish god awful, though, so I'm not really getting anywhere.

Also without the Caribbean influence that other places have, the women are more "cute/girl next door" than dolled up, flashy latina types.
>>
>>1217593
>"Here OP, have a list of countries that fit your description"
>Wtf no too expensive I want a complete paradise for $20 or less

Here's a solution OP, kill yourself and maybe heaven will be what you're looking for, cause it sure isn't on Earth.
>>
>>1217792
what part of "fee charged to get somewhere adds to your overall expenses" don't you understand? The islands suggested where in the middle of the fucking ocean.
Also I'm not OP and you are not funny
>>
>>1217600
>Most countries have visa-free agreements with US and UK so I didn't think much of that.
Sort of true (you carry both US and UK passports?), but you can't just live somewhere permanently, or even for a year, without some kind of visa. In virtually the entire world, you're probably looking at six legal months per year as a laptop hobo. Thailand is an example--without a real local job, a local spouse, or a lot of money, you can only stay 180 days before you have to be out for 180. It's still pretty easy to scam your way into long-term residence in Cambodia by buying a business visa under flimsy pretext, though, so that might work.

Other possibilities assume you're a UK citizen slouching through the Schengen world (for as long as you have access to that), or you're staying in some kind of overseas territory of your home country (for Americans, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, USVI, or maybe one of the Compact of Free Association countries like the Solomon Islands or Micronesia--there is actually some paperwork involved to live there long term, but I believe it is quite easy).
>>
>>1217694
>OP makes a somewhat legit travel thread on a travel board
>no mention of sex tourism at all
>(You) make an unnecessary strawman post because you're tired of seeing sex tourism posts in other threads
Ironic.
>>
>>1217801

Yeah, for that reason I assumed I could hop around several of them so I never have to exceed the visa-free period. Yeah, I have both passports, so I imagined a lot of options (I know more about the UK's overseas relationships though).
>>
>>1217666
Can you give the name of the hotel? I might be passing through Quito later this year and that place looks great for the money. Also, how far is it from tourist areas and what's the English situation like in Ecuador?
>>
>>1217661
>>1217666
Honestly, the worst thing about telling people where you get your deals isn't being mistaken for a shill.

The worst part is making your secret aware to other people, on the internet. Now you can watch vacancies drop, or prices go up (from the increased popularity).

This is why I almost never give advice.
>used to work retail when I was young
>customers would complain about how long the lines are on Fridays & weekends
>tell them to try coming in on Tuesdays (our least busy day)
>now Tuesdays are busy all of a sudden
Never again.
>>
>>1218004
L'Auberge Inn, the owner's Swiss. It's in-between old town and La Mariscal so there's a lot of tourist attractions, shopping, restaurant, etc within a 30 min walk. The area can get a little dicey after dark so they've got a 24 hr. buzzer gate but once you're inside it's really cozy.
>>
>>1217525
Maldives.
I lived there for a few months.

They're muslim but apart from the ever present extreme minority, they are casual about it, they all smoke weed constantly and fuck each other and alcohol is easy to find too. They all think they're bob marley or something.

Basically everyone under 40 speaks fluent english too.

The islands are opened up to foreigners now so you can set up on one of them.
>>
>>1218004
Also you should know some basic Spanish. English is really only spoken by the professional class here, service workers don't speak it. My Spanish is super rusty so I struggle to order lunch. I think I'm going to take a refresher class when I get to Montanita next week.

>>1218029
Eh, I'm not really worried about it for a few reasons. First, this place is already busy even for the off season. Second, the traffic is low enough on this board that I doubt it'll make a huge difference and lastly I probably won't be back through Quito any time soon, it's nice but it's not really my vibe.
>>
>>1217680
hey reddit
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.